AranPrime

Banned
Sep 25, 2021
So this might be an error, but I saw a tweet from a reviewer who suggested that his review will be up next week. As in, the embargo might be a week before release. Can't say they're not confident.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind main deaths are game overs in these games at this point, typically if its not a BS ohk situation and my characters is built to basically carry the rest of the team, once he goes down there pretty much is no hope anyway.

Nov 1, 2020
Regarding whether or not Vit raises defense...

*searches own posts in this thread*
To quote Me on July 12:
"<snip>
Hmm, is there anything I can glean from that screen... not too much at the moment really. But at least it's a clear video and kindly pauses long enough on each stat so that the descriptions are readable. Nothing really surprising about them.
Str: More physical damage
Vit: Less damage when receiving attacks
Mag: More magic damage
Agi: Affects probability of going first, escape, landing your attacks, and evading incoming attacks
Luck: Ah, the classic non-specific 'improve odds of favorable outcomes for various chance-based things in battle'

Really, the main useful thing here for me is that the phrasing for Vit doesn't specify physical or magical. So it's probably defense in general.
<snip>"

Back to the daily demon vids...
Huang Long: Megidolaon +5/Houkou +2 (23 MP)/Samarecarm +2
Yaksini: Venom Chaser +2 (13 MP)/Zanma +2 (17 MP)/Poisma (10 MP)/Sukunda (8 MP)
Amon: Megido Flame +6 (93 MP)/Nihil Claw +2 (31 MP)/Madness Nails +2 (31 MP)/Concentrate +4 (7 MP)/Debilitate +4 (105 MP)
Kaya-no-hime: Minori no Mai +3 (22 MP)/Bufula +2 (17 MP)/Patra +3 (6 MP)/Mabufu +2 (13 MP)

Megido Flame is unique, hits all enemies, deals severe fire damage, and pierces. That's kinda crazy.
Minori no Mai (or, harvest dance) is basically a unique Dia + 2x Rakukaja (it buffs defense by 2 stages). The cost with that aptitude is basically Dia + 2x Rakukaja + 4, so that's the payment for compressing it into one turn.
Btw, assuming the videos aren't excessively rigged (that is, skill sets shown are feasible in-game without needing to plug in higher level essences into lower level demons), then chouhatsu (the plain provoke/taunt that just pulls aggro, not... old Taunt) should be available on a couple of demons at least by the time you hit Kaya-no-hime's level.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's wild that every demon is uniquely voiced instead of a handful of reused grunts. At least that's what each demon introduction when after they're fused leads me to believe lol

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding whether or not Vit raises defense...

*searches own posts in this thread*
To quote Me on July 12:
"<snip>
Hmm, is there anything I can glean from that screen... not too much at the moment really. But at least it's a clear video and kindly pauses long enough on each stat so that the descriptions are readable. Nothing really surprising about them.
Str: More physical damage
Vit: Less damage when receiving attacks
Mag: More magic damage
Agi: Affects probability of going first, escape, landing your attacks, and evading incoming attacks
Luck: Ah, the classic non-specific 'improve odds of favorable outcomes for various chance-based things in battle'

Really, the main useful thing here for me is that the phrasing for Vit doesn't specify physical or magical. So it's probably defense in general.
<snip>"

Back to the daily demon vids...
Huang Long: Megidolaon +5/Houkou +2 (23 MP)/Samarecarm +2
Yaksini: Venom Chaser +2 (13 MP)/Zanma +2 (17 MP)/Poisma (10 MP)/Sukunda (8 MP)
Amon: Megido Flame +6 (93 MP)/Nihil Claw +2 (31 MP)/Madness Nails +2 (31 MP)/Concentrate +4 (7 MP)/Debilitate +4 (105 MP)
Kaya-no-hime: Minori no Mai +3 (22 MP)/Bufula +2 (17 MP)/Patra +3 (6 MP)/Mabufu +2 (13 MP)

Megido Flame is unique, hits all enemies, deals severe fire damage, and pierces. That's kinda crazy.
Minori no Mai (or, harvest dance) is basically a unique Dia + 2x Rakukaja (it buffs defense by 2 stages). The cost with that aptitude is basically Dia + 2x Rakukaja + 4, so that's the payment for compressing it into one turn.
Btw, assuming the videos aren't excessively rigged (that is, skill sets shown are feasible in-game without needing to plug in higher level essences into lower level demons), then chouhatsu (the plain provoke/taunt that just pulls aggro, not... old Taunt) should be available on a couple of demons at least by the time you hit Kaya-no-hime's level.
Just want to say you've been the real MVP with all these translations on the demon videos.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they officially drop some tracks of the soundtrack before the game releases. We need to hear some of the tracks!

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Anyone know if they talked about difficulty yet? I saw they had a casual mode now along with the easy, normal, hard, so I'm guessing the normal/hard is what we usually expect right

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
I was down on Idunn, still am if only for in the surrounding vacuum of Doi's female demon designs (or now that I think about it, the older ones, since I like a good amount of the ones he's made in SMTV), but this is actually a pretty good showcase.

Pop Idol Goddess is a fun concept in the same way Artemis being the Greek Goddess of the Hunt by way of Magic Knight Rayearth is fun.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if they talked about difficulty yet? I saw they had a casual mode now along with the easy, normal, hard, so I'm guessing the normal/hard is what we usually expect right
Safety is DLC, it's pretty much exactly what it sounds, meant for people that just want to experience the story.

There's Casual, Normal is pretty much typical SMT difficulty. Hard is very hard.

Caveat on Hard, you have to choose it from the start and you can change difficulty at any time, but if you started on Hard, and you move down, you cannot move back up to Hard.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Safety is DLC, it's pretty much exactly what it sounds, meant for people that just want to experience the story.

There's Casual, Normal is pretty much typical SMT difficulty. Hard is very hard.

Caveat on Hard, you have to choose it from the start and you can change difficulty at any time, but if you started on Hard, and you move down, you cannot move back up to Hard.

Yea, nice. Usually I go with Normal on SMT and if I like it enough replay on hard so probably stick with that

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Eh, looks alright. I still feel like it's using Idunn as an excuse to have Little Red Riding Hood in the game... without it being Little Red Riding Hood. Which like, Alice is already there, so...

But she looks fun.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate the idol references. It actually feels right at home with SMT's sense of humor. What other series lets you team up with a pop idol, a penis monster, and a hindu god?

I just think this type of design would have been better suited for a mythology that actually had something to do with performance, music or dance.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I don't hate the idol references. It actually feels right at home with SMT's sense of humor. What other series lets you team up with a pop idol, a penis monster, and a hindu god?

I just think this type of design would have been better suited for a mythology that actually had something to do with performance, music or dance.
I get the idea behind it(she was beloved by the gods because she provides golden apples of immortality, aka everyone loves her like an idol because they need her to live forever), I do think its a bit off, but not enough to bother me at all, I kinda like it

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I get the idea behind it(she was beloved by the gods because she provides golden apples of immortality, aka everyone loves her like an idol because they need her to live forever), I do think its a bit off, but not enough to bother me at all, I kinda like it
Yeah I dont hate it either. I came around on the design more when Doi made it clear the idol aesthetic was deliberate. It's just that, I think this design would have been better for one of the greek muses or something similar.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Think I'll start on Hard and see how it goes...

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm sad IV didn't give us a new one, but I guess Frost Ace already covered the samurai angle.

Also bring back Frost Ace.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like we got Demi Frost either. Are SJ and if... the only mainline games to have new Frost boys?

Edit: Actually I guess Black Frost counts.

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm of the significant new demons left we know the only ones left are Khonsu, Lahmu and Hydra. Others we know and or assume are left to be showcased are Alice, Belial, Samael, Beelzebub, Odin, Vasuki, Lucifuge, Nebiros, Ishtar. Still a bunch to go, next one is Valkyrie.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Hard being a step above usual SMT difficulty has me excited

I'm ready for this game to kick my ass

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I may be misremembering but they said the DLC bosses/demons would provide us with new skills, right? Assuming they're as strong as the skills the SMT IV DLC introduced, it'll likely lower the difficulty a lot once they are in your skill pool. Luster Candy already made difficulty in the last 1/3rd of SMT IV nonexistent, with the DLC skills it's basically one of the easiest Megatens out there. That you could only do Hard on NG+ was also a contributing factor to this, though.

Either way, something to keep in mind if difficulty matters to you.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There's a thing I really want to know, and I'll ask this in the preview thread too. Journalists and anyone else that got a review code, if you're at liberty to answer this: In an interview for SMTIV, they said they started a thing with Strange Journey where there was an AI that had a name starting with an A (Arthur), and IV there was an AI with a name starting with a B (Burroughs) and the next one would be a C. Apocalypse didn't have an AI in it. You could debatably count Dagda, but he just lived in your phone, and skipped a letter.

Does SMTV have an AI with a name that starts with a C?

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl hearing you cant save at any time kills my interest in this game and having Hero murdered= Game over. I know hardcore fanboys gonna complain bout this opinion but i really liked the convenience of it and with long adventures such as RPGs for me its a must

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Ngl hearing you cant save at any time kills my interest in this game and having Hero murdered= Game over. I know hardcore fanboys gonna complain bout this opinion but i really liked the convenience of it and with long adventures such as RPGs for me its a must

I don't blame anyone for not liking it but as long as you can suspend your game I will be happy. That and HaMudo being dmg now rather than instant death spells (ambush into instant death spells that are really only useful to enemy mobs were some straight up garbage mechanics)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The music from the demon showcase video is forever seared into my brain now after watching over a hundred of them in a row.

I can hear it right now. Its a lil unsettling.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's a thing I really want to know, and I'll ask this in the preview thread too. Journalists and anyone else that got a review code, if you're at liberty to answer this: In an interview for SMTIV, they said they started a thing with Strange Journey where there was an AI that had a name starting with an A (Arthur), and IV there was an AI with a name starting with a B (Burroughs) and the next one would be a C. Apocalypse didn't have an AI in it. You could debatably count Dagda, but he just lived in your phone, and skipped a letter.

Does SMTV have an AI with a name that starts with a C?

I haven't played it, but I really doubt they'd continue that. Aside from legacy assets, Apocalypse seemed to drop the whoe angle of SJ references. It'd be odd if they went back to doing it again now.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So over at vgcharts people are hyping that smt just reach 100 points for COMG, how good is that if anyone knows? Doesnt that just mean only a 100 people preorded it

Jun 24, 2019
okay that yt comment about Jack Frost vibing with Idunn gave me a good laugh

Maybe he's the leader of the Idunn fan club or her PR manager

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I put in my preorder for the Steelbook Edition. I've been on total media blackout for this game.

Playing through Nocturne HD Remaster this year truly has solidified it as the GOAT. An impossible bar for any game to meet, so I'm just going into V with modest expectations.