Adlez

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: escalating the hostility over a series of posts
you're just announcing loudly and repeatedly that if someone looks a certain way they must be a certain gender. you're not the only person in the thread doing this, but you're certainly doubling down on it the hardest.

this is pretty basic stuff, and the character design isn't even that outlandish. He's got long hair and makeup and it's breaking some of your brains in half
I'm only announcing loudly that you are a rude, insecure person who likes to attack strangers on the internet for having a different opinion.
honestly I don't consider this character a person. It's fake, it's not real. I will pretend it is w/e gender I want because it is fake. At the same time, I never assume anyone is male or female just because they look more feminine or masculine irl. I hope you realize that there's a difference between reality and fiction.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing more appropriate than the stream ending after getting rocked by a powerful demon.

It wasn't like that in SMTIV so I assumed they abandoned it

SMTIV needed that since the combat was balanced around trading high volume burst damage. You could randomly die any turn so it was helpful that your demons stuck it out, but games like Nocturne and the good version of Strange Journey balance themselves around your MC being stronger than your demons with the consequence that it's game over when they die.

Glad it''s back.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
That was short but I LOVE the feel of the overworld. Seeing a giant demon in the world was really cool. Really looking forward to seeing demons in a whole new way with a real sense of scale from that.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
god this looks so good. this project was AWOL for so long I hadn't dared dream we'd be seeing this much of it this soon

I'm only announcing loudly that you are a rude, insecure person who likes to attack strangers on the internet for having a different opinion.
honestly I don't consider this character a person. It's fake, it's not real. I will pretend it is w/e gender I want because it is fake. At the same time, I never assume anyone is male or female just because they look more feminine or masculine irl. I hope you realize that there's a difference between reality and fiction.

once again, "having a different opinion" is certainly one way to frame your shitty posts. anyway i hope you can fully recover from the discovery that someone with long hair can be a man soon

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this boss monster means new game+ is faster to do because you defeat them from the get go

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
THAT'S IT?!?! They showed like 30 minutes if every single other game!
Its also releasing later than the other games..and thats Atlus we should be happy that they are letting us see anything without fuckery and weird streams.

And honestly...while you are right i kinda dont wanna see much more of it at this point. This is such a clear Day 1 game - dont care about anything else that releases this Holiday season. SMT V and im good until 2022.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
We couldn't hear the OST :(

This was exciting. Seems a huge step forward in the series. And I'm sure there will be dungeons inside buildings like in Nocturne and SMT IV/A.

By the way, Doi's work is awesome.

I will feel weird playing Nocturne later today.

Snufkin

Aug 5, 2020
This definitely looks like the Law SMT game (versus Nocturne's more "Chaos" focused game or IV's more "Neutral" based game). ATLUS obviously heard all the complaints from long time fans saying Law needs its time to shine lol.

Digital Devil Saga 2 end game vibes from the MC for sure.

Yeah that would be interesting to see. If they go the SMT1/2/4 style with different protags who actually join you only to later become the Law/Chaos big bosses or if you're alone the whole way through Nocturne style or if they ever go back to the Apocalypse style where you have a big bunch of friends who help you (hehe). I'm fine with whatever to be honest. I'm just curious what the other characters look like and they've been surprisingly quiet about the different factions this time around. Wonder how far they will go with the deities this time.

Oh yeah! Most definitely, that didn't even cross my mind. Whilst the Nocturne comparisons are undeniable - this does look like it's going to be an interesting counterbalance with a narrative focused on "Law".

I wouldn't mind a full party of protagonists similar to Apocalypse; but I do think this game is drawing heavily from Nocturne (with the barren landscapes and desolate atmosphere) so I wouldn't be surprised if we were exploring the world alone once again. They have been quiet about the factions, you're right; we know next to nothing about the cast and the roles they will play. I wouldn't be mad if the game took a page out of SMT 1/2/4 and had different characters representing the alignment paths we can take - it always helped me feel invested in their reasoning a little more.

I'm very excited about this! I appreciate all the nods to different aspects of the series history we've seen so far, I'm feeling very positive about it!

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
SMTIV needed that since the combat was balanced around trading high volume burst damage. You could randomly die any turn so it was helpful that your demons stuck it out, but games like Nocturne and the good version of Strange Journey balance themselves around your MC being stronger than your demons with the consequence that it's game over when they die.

Glad it''s back.
I understand but I still hate it

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
GOTY.
Looks amazing, Nintendo could have shown just this at the Direct and still win E3.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I mean is there any meaningful challenge in the SMT combat system if the whole party has to get wiped out?

It's not a binary good or bad decision, it can be adapted and balanced to suit the appropriate level of challenge for the game.
It's a personal vandetta because I've had some traumatizing experiences because of it

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The English trailer was really bad i don't know what they were thinking not using the Japanese trailer

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You could randomly die any turn so it was helpful that your demons stuck it out, but games like Nocturne and the good version of Strange Journey balance themselves around your MC being stronger than your demons with the consequence that it's game over when they die.

Glad it''s back.
Would be nice if there was at least some sort of compromise, like having one turn to Recarm your protagonist before it's permanent.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I am not feeling the protag but I also didn't feel Demi-fiend at first either. All the other models look great though. I do like the hair.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The English trailer was really bad i don't know what they were thinking not using the Japanese trailer

It was introducing gameplay elements to people who are hearing about Shin Megami Tensei for the first time.

Atlus is actually trying to market the series to people who won't just automatically buy it.

Would be nice if there was at least some sort of compromise, like having one turn to Recarm your protagonist before it's permanent.

That sounds like a way to get into a loop of constantly reviving the MC and encouraging a turtle-focused combat system.

I know everyone's gotten their own one-shot story, but there are ways around SMT's dice roll. It's an RPG, that dice roll is sometimes the only meaningful challenge that can exist.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
For it being an Atlus game I'd say it looks great.

Atlus is not known for being a graphical showcase.

I love the details that make the world feel alive: dust clouds, the wind causing the sand dunes to shimmer, the demon animations, shadows, demons populating the far distances. Just a lovely overall living demonic world.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
I am replaying Nocturne at the moment, but after seeing this... It's just going to feel a bit worse :(
Can't wait for November.

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

They're trying to appeal to more people by introducing the game and its mechanics in a more straightforward way. Which seems to be working from the general reception I've seen having a lot of people who haven't played SMT before are now interested in 5.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

There might be some sort of difficulty setting to disable it. That's how it worked in Persona Q and Q2 (only the hardest difficulty had protagonist death resulting in game over).

Even if that's not the case though you usually can get endure (survive a lethal hit with 1hp) skills for your main character by mid game so it ends up not being that bad in practice. You still have to be careful with your protagonist's HP but you at least are protected against getting wrecked by ambushes.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never played SMT and I was completely blown by the look of this game. Instantly shot up to one of my most anticipated games.

It looks incredible, and the game loop looks very fun with the battles and devil talk sections

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I never played a SMT game but this looks great, day one.

Looks more open than usual, no? I don't remember SMT games having those somewhat large open areas. From what i've seen, of course. I never actually played any of them. :P

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay hold up, what if the silver demon was Masakado?

It's the long flowing blue hair of MC's form that gets me.