• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
This whole situation is just embarrassing at this point. Glad to see more devs calling them out at least.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to get this mess under control or best believe it will be exploited by the competition in next gen marketing.

unAimed

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happened to '4 the players'?
Get your shit together Sony

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
What's Sony stance about it, I really don't buy the "think of the children" bs.

Do they want block cross play so if X guy with a PS4 only can play with his/her friend Y if it owns a PS4 too?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.
cNHcqU.jpg

What's Sony stance about it, I really don't buy the "think of the children bs".

Do they want block cross play so if X guy with a PS4 only can play with his/her friend Y if it owns a PS4 too?
They don't wanna give Xbox and Switch access to the much bigger PS4 userbase (therefore indirectly improving Xbox and Switch online experience by reducing queue time), and they definitely want people to be forced to buy a PS4 if they want to play with their PS4 friends. The PR was so bad with Fortnite and Rocket League that they allowed it only for these games hiding behind the "beta" bullshit.

In any case, it's nothing we, users, should care about. I don't give a shit about Sony's business reasons and neither should anyone that isn't a Sony shareholder. We need to be annoying enough that they are forced to just allow universal crossplay for every game as a standard feature that requires no extra steps, since small games are the ones that NEED it the most.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
the Fortnite fiasco actually affected their business. it made mainstream news, execs from their competition were giving interviews on cable news networks, their stock dipped, etc. as Layden made clear it was not a vocal minority online, it was making the rounds. that's why they flipped on that. I'm assuming Rocket League was a similar decision where it would have been an awful look not to let possibly the biggest and most successful PS+ collaboration have crossplay. even then those devs had to work to get it added, I remember them also going to twitter to pressure Sony to let them into the beta program. and that's it, those are the games that Sony allowed to have crossplay. all two of them. basically if blocking a game is going to negatively affect Sony's PlayStation business they'll add it to their beta program.

this whole situation is actually really easy to decipher if you infer from the actions that are being made by Sony

Also the Fortenite Crossplay thing was also coupled with the fact that they were locking out accounts to other plateforms if you ever opened and connected the game on PS. So two crisis at once.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to those people. They think they're on some james bond shit and have all Sonys evil tactics figured out. There's an obvious miscommunication somewhere.

That the CEO of SIE isn't aware of their own politics should be more worrisome than he lying if this was the case

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lool i remember being super critical of phil spencer with the same "come to us" spin didn't expect to be seeing it again. The so called "beta" is nothing more than a "hey we support it*(When you're big enough and maybe make mainstream media)".

Although it seems using Epic's upcoming Online Services API bypasses this need of going through the "beta" with dauntless being confirmed for crossplay on all platforms.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about crossplay personally because I don't play multiplayer, but Christ. Sony keeps walking into obvious fucking land mines about this and they seem to have no intention of stopping.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha, he thought all the big publsihers won't come out and refute him and risk the relationship with Sony, but he forgot indies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They were the pioneers of talking about crossplay when Microsoft also did not wanting crossplay. Now that everyone is up for it besides them, they show their true colors.

Well to be fair their lying right now aside, they were doing a bunch of PC-Playstation crossplay back when Microsoft was saying no.

Remember the big announcement that Portal 2 PC was crossplay with the PS3 version?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Well to be fair their lying right now aside, they were doing a bunch of PC-Playstation crossplay back when Microsoft was saying no.

Remember the big announcement that Portal 2 PC was crossplay with the PS3 version?

That was PC-PS cross-play, at the time, Sony didn't consider the PC as competition, no one did last generation.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, he thought all the big publsihers won't come out and refute him and risk the relationship with Sony, but he forgot indies.

he didn't forget, he knows exactly what he's doing. he's hedging that blocking indie games won't make much noise. he's likely right too. and hey if he's wrong they've got this beta program where they can sweep PR backlash under the rug one by one.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They probably flip it only for Big Names right now like with Fortnite.
They don't need to listen to the small guys because they can't have any impact on the juggernaut they are in the industry.
Playstation holds the majority of players so most people won't be affected anyway with smaller titles.

I mean who is Chucklefish?
Shawn Layden or anyone probably never heard of them and neither did most gamers so it doesn't matter if they don't support it for these games.

Fortnite is something different because its a well known Name and the millions of kids on each platform could have turned against them.

They don't give a fart about these small indie studios.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
he didn't forget, he knows exactly what he's doing. he's hedging that blocking indie games won't make much noise. he's likely right too. and hey if he's wrong they've got this beta program where they can sweep PR backlash under the rug one by one.

Yup, at the end of the day Sony could easily just come out of this one with "But but beta! Chucklefish is allowed in now! Yay #retweet!!"

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

So, Shawn is lying. Nothing new here.

PS - Wargroove is awesome.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That was PC-PS cross-play, at the time, Sony didn't consider the PC as competition, no one did last generation.

Well of course but they still do a fair bit of PS4 + PC crossplay even now.

Nothing I'm saying is trying to excuse Sony's recent behavior.

Just that I feel some people think crossplay is only between consoles and forget about PC having been a factor in this far longer.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
They don't wanna give Xbox and Switch access to the much bigger PS4 userbase (therefore indirectly improving Xbox and Switch online experience by reducing queue time), and they definitely want people to be forced to buy a PS4 if they want to play with their PS4 friends. The PR was so bad with Fortnite and Rocket League that they allowed it only for these games hiding behind the "beta" bullshit.

In any case, it's nothing we, users, should care about. I don't give a shit about Sony's business reasons and neither should anyone that isn't a Sony shareholder. We need to be annoying enough that they are forced to just allow universal crossplay for every game as a standard feature that requires no extra steps, since small games are the ones that NEED it the most.
I don't care either, the more users online the better. Just trying to figure out its reasoning.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You may be right, but in either case, it's not sustainable to keep two different messages going at the same time. That miscommunication needs to be sorted out, it looks ridiculous otherwise. If, for some reason, Sony is OK with crossplay in the huge games' communities, but not in the tiny communities - again I don't grok why that would make sense, but let's say that is the case - Sony will have to align their message so that execs aren't walking into a booby trap in interviews. Otherwise they do just look either shady or incompetent, and whatever about the reality of the policy, I don't think Sony would be happy about that look from a PR perspective. So there is definitely 'something' to sort out here still, whether that involves just messaging or both action and messaging.
Not sure why it's hard to understand this. The bigger games and partners are harder to ignore than the smaller ones. They don't want to anger the bigger devs, and the audiences are larger and more vocal so they give in to those. The smaller ones are small enough that they think they can ignore them without consequence. Thus the gate keeping of cross play for "select third party partners".

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks for clarifying. Wargroove looks incredible!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
the Fortnite fiasco actually affected their business. it made mainstream news, execs from their competition were giving interviews on cable news networks, their stock dipped, etc. as Layden made clear it was not a vocal minority online, it was making the rounds. that's why they flipped on that. I'm assuming Rocket League was a similar decision where it would have been an awful look not to let possibly the biggest and most successful PS+ collaboration have crossplay. even then those devs had to work to get it added, I remember them also going to twitter to pressure Sony to let them into the beta program. and that's it, those are the games that Sony allowed to have crossplay. all two of them. basically if blocking a game is going to negatively affect Sony's PlayStation business they'll add it to their beta program.

this whole situation is actually really easy to decipher if you infer from the actions that are being made by Sony

Maybe, but it seems wholly irrational - unless there is another rational explanation for what it gets Sony to open up on big communities and stay closed on small ones. In terms of potential impact on network effects, yielding on the likes of Fortnite and then caring about keeping tiny games closed is like being OK to open up to a tidal wave while plugging tiny leaks elsewhere.

Not sure why it's hard to understand this. The bigger games and partners are harder to ignore than the smaller ones. They don't want to anger the bigger devs, and the audiences are larger and more vocal so they give in to those. The smaller ones are small enough that they think they can ignore them without consequence. Thus the gate keeping of cross play for "select third party partners".

I do get that, I just don't get what it buys Sony to care about the small fish while allowing huge holes in Metcalf's Law to be blown open elsewhere by the largest game communities.

May 5, 2018
Hi all,

Bummer to here. But congrats on the launch of Wargroove. I'm almost finished with the Campaign and can't stop playing it!

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember when Sony cared about indie games? now they're actively working against those that want crossplay and they made Jim "there was a time and a place for indie games" Ryan President and CEO of SIE. does not fill me with optimism!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

I'm sure guys they just didn't contact the right repsentative.....right?.....RIGHT!?

oh wait, forgot about some of the folks who still defend this bullshit in this thread

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but it seems wholly irrational - unless there is another rational explanation for what it gets Sony to open up on big communities and stay closed on small ones. In terms of potential impact on network effects, yielding on the likes of Fortnite and then caring about keeping tiny games closed is like being OK to open up to a tidal wave while plugging tiny leaks elsewhere.

They dont want full console-wide crossplay to become the norm that everyone expects. Relenting the biggest games that have enough clout to punish Sony publically was one thing, letting every single online game that wants to do crossplay do it to the point that the becomes just another feature that is expected is what Sony doesn't want.

Sony thinks they can keep the genie in the bottle still.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Why are Sony doing this? Just get over it and enable it. You could have done your research way earlier if they wanted to test it.

It's already been 6 months.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

a giant corporation flipping on something that was affecting their business is perhaps the most rational explanation possible

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe right now there is any gating factor on that. I think they're open to make proposals, because the Fortnite thing worked pretty well.

Apparently there may still be some factors in the process of allowing developers/publishers in entering the Cross-Play BETA that Shawn doesn't know about. He clearly says in the interview that he doesn't believe there are any gating factors, but that shows that he doesn't know for sure.

Either way, cross-play is in the beta process on PSN, that's a fact. Whether or not, or when this becomes a standard on PSN is another question. Not really affecting the bottom line for the company so it isn't really a pressing matter to them. They may just announce full cross-play at their PS5 event for the extra kick.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care about crossplay but Sony keep digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole that they could avoid by just not treating us like children and straight up lying to us.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Really weird that people are believing Sony's BS response in this case. Things couldn't be more obvious.

I'm not surprised at all. This is where game executive worship leads to.

Some people are so used to towing the PR line that even in a situation as clear as this they can't help but believe an obvious untruth. Seems no one at Sony talks to one another.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
FFS Sony just open up cross play and move the fuck on.

And for any fans here that believed Sony before the Chucklefish developer talked about it, please stop defending Sony for their bone headed policies.

Tons of people on this very forum kept making excuses about the lack of Fortnite crossplay and how it was pointless to ask for it and Sony is a business or w/e. Now Fortnite has cross play.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
They don't need to listen to the small guys because they can't have any impact on the juggernaut they are in the industry.
Playstation holds the majority of players so most people won't be affected anyway with smaller titles.

Shawn Layden or anyone probably never heard of them and neither did most gamers so it doesn't matter if they don't support it for these games.

Fortnite is something different because its a well known Name and the millions of kids on each platform could have turned against them.

Chucklefish is the publisher of many a great game, such as Stardew Valley and Starbound. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't be so negative to indie devs and publishers alike, because their games do matter ^.^

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I wish there was this much noise made about something I actually care about, like backwards compatibility.

Someone get Shawn to tell an obvious lie about why PS1 and PS2 games aren't playable on the PS4.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear there's a complete lack of communication among Sony on this. Layden is in charge of Sony's studios and it seems like the actual third party relations team is not being accommodating. I hope they sort this out ASAP. I imagine they're keeping it murky so they can block Xbox Live logins for Minecraft but everyone else should be good to go

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Well not until some indie makes a rocket league and all of the flodgates magically open then.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The thread title indicates a dev said something, what post # is it?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Good to know.

Love wargroove btw.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a clear problem between what Shawn is saying and what the Dev relation team is saying. This must be corrected to Sony's detriment. Hopefully more outlets pick up on this and Sony fixes this.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Hi all,

Thank you for the additional information.

It is not cool for Sony to throw the ball back to devs regarding cross play.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you."
― Friedrich Nietzsche