• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plant based protein like the beyond burger still uses real animal cells? That's what I was talking about.

If so that's actually super surprising
No, I think that poster was referring to clean meat, which still requires fetal blood. The Impossible Burger isn't strictly vegan, since they do some animal tests, but it's still an improvement over dead animal meat. The Beyond Burger is completely vegan

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Done vegetarian a few times and it's okay. I just felt like I had to eat all the time. I am really interested in that new Beyond Meat or whatever it's called.

I eat meat now but I'm not a hater on people who choose not to.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
All of the above is based on weak to garbage epidemiology. The fact that there is anecdotal evidence of people improving their arthritis on an all meat diet disproves the idea that going on a non-meat diet improves it. It's obviously some other factor.
From my understanding of nutrition science, both how garbage most of it is, and what little randomised control trials we have - I'll stick with carnivore, or at least meat-heavy keto.
What did I expect?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24687909/

Stroke:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23317525/

Heart Diseases:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11718588/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19138438/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24871675/

Vegetarian Diets and their impact on Health:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26853923/

Rheuma
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9117178/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9566667/

This is just a glimps at the available data. I do not expect you to change your mind, but dont spread false information based on "if you dont eat meat you'll suffer incredibly unhealthy consequences i cannot even name!".

Plant based protein like the beyond burger still uses real animal cells? That's what I was talking about.

If so that's actually super surprising
i havent heard about that one yet, just the one where they turn animal cells into "meat" and even that was very difficult to achieve.

Then again i do not keep up too much, as halloumi or bean patties are delicious burger patties and i do not miss meat therefore wouldnt want to replace it.

Last edited:

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
My boyfriend and I have both been vegetarians for years.

We almost live on vegan diets, but we allow consumption of milk ingredients and honey.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm never going fully vegetarian, but I do plan to reduce my meat intake over time, little by little. I just can't pass up a good Saturday afternoon/night grill with the friends.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
No, I think that poster was referring to clean meat, which still requires fetal blood. The Impossible Burger isn't strictly vegan, since they do some animal tests, but it's still an improvement over dead animal meat. The Beyond Burger is completely vegan
Ohh I completely forgot about clean meat. I'm usually thinking about things like the beyond burger when I mention fake meat. I'd definitely be able to atleast be vegetarian if that kind of thing was more common

MTE

Nov 1, 2017

So, studies:

Fruit and vegetable consumption and all-cause, cancer and CVD mortality: analysis of Health Survey for England data.
annual surveys of nationally representative random samples of the non-institutionalised population of England linked to mortality data
Surveys; Epidemiology

High dietary fiber intake prevents stroke at a population level.
Epidemiology

Legume consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in US men and women: NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study.
It's in the title

Fruit, vegetable and bean intake and mortality from cardiovascular disease among Japanese men and women: the JACC Study.
To examine the association of plant-based food intakes with CVD and total mortality among Japanese. In the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study for Evaluation of Cancer Risk, 25 206 men and 34 279 women aged 40-79 years, whose fruit, vegetable and bean intakes were assessed by questionnaire
Surveys; Epidemiology

Beyond meatless, the health effects of vegan diets: findings from the Adventist cohorts.
Meta-analysis of epidemiology

Vegetarian, vegan diets and multiple health outcomes: A systematic review with meta-analysis of observational studies.

Faecal microbial flora and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis during a vegan diet.
This study compares vegaism to the standard diet, not to one low in plants. Confounders out the ass.

Uncooked, lactobacilli-rich, vegan food and rheumatoid arthritis.
The same as above. What if the problem isn't with animal products, but something else in their diet? This study makes no claims about that.

If you're going to quote science, maybe actually think about it? You really ought to look in to why epidemiology (though one of the few tools we have for diet research) is almost useless, and may in fact lead to the wrong conclusion.

Oh and please refrain from strawmanning me. I'm not going to make any disease claims. I am just stating that it is best for my health to continue to eat meat, and to avoid plant foods. I'm sorry if that somehow offends you - just let me be wrong.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond Meat is scary good, only available through A&W here in Canada, but i've tried the not chicken strips and their sausage. Gardein also has the best Meatless Meatballs.

If you get grocery delivery from SPUD (Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton) they have beyond meat burgers. They're pretty expensive but great to have the option.

So, studies:

Fruit and vegetable consumption and all-cause, cancer and CVD mortality: analysis of Health Survey for England data.

Surveys; Epidemiology

High dietary fiber intake prevents stroke at a population level.
Epidemiology

Legume consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in US men and women: NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study.
It's in the title

Fruit, vegetable and bean intake and mortality from cardiovascular disease among Japanese men and women: the JACC Study.

Surveys; Epidemiology

Beyond meatless, the health effects of vegan diets: findings from the Adventist cohorts.

Vegetarian, vegan diets and multiple health outcomes: A systematic review with meta-analysis of observational studies.

Faecal microbial flora and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis during a vegan diet.
This study compares vegaism to the standard diet, not to one low in plants. Confounders out the ass.

Uncooked, lactobacilli-rich, vegan food and rheumatoid arthritis.
The same as above. What if the problem isn't with animal products, but something else in their diet? This study makes no claims about that.

If you're going to quote science, maybe actually think about it? You really ought to look in to why epidemiology (though one of the few tools we have for diet research) is almost useless, and may in fact lead to the wrong conclusion.

Oh and please refrain from strawmanning me. I'm not going to make any disease claims. I am just stating that it is best for my health to continue to eat meat, and to avoid plant foods. I'm sorry if that somehow offends you - just let me be wrong.

Epidemiology just refers to the study of disease in human populations. It can be experimental, the highest form of which is a clinical trial, itself the highest form of evidence. It can be misused and can produce incorrect results, but all bad study design can. Writing all these studies off because they are "epidemiology" makes it clear you don't know what it is.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Fake meat is not vegetarian nor vegan.

it still requires parts (meat) of real animals. Less animals would suffer, but as you still need blood and starter cells to grow it, there are still animals involved in the process.

It is a none-vegetarian/none-vegan alternative to normal meat but would still require the killing of animals. Everything that gets killed also lives, so while a reduction of the enviormental impact might be achieved, it wont be big.
Beyond Meat and the Impossible Burger are 100% plant based

Where did you hear that meat substitutes use animal cells?

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Wife and I put in a good effort years ago. Think we made it 5 or 6 days. I like meat too much to give it up completely.

With that said we do eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies and meat usually isn't the main focus of our meals.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epidemiology just refers to the study of disease in human populations. It can be experimental, the highest form of which is a clinical trial, itself the highest form of evidence. It can be misused and can produce incorrect results, but all bad study design can. Writing all these studies off because they are "epidemiology" makes it clear you don't know what it is.

It's baffling. My science literacy is pretty low (reading studies, especially with a critical eye, is imo super boring, and I shouldn't be made to endure that agony), but I'm pretty sure any study looking at human lifespan and health span is going to be epidemiological by necessity. Should we just not study those things, lol? Or go only by 'feels' (as MTE seems to be)?

MTE, we can let you be wrong, but a false veneer of rationality shouldn't be left to stand.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has a parent who is vegetarian for religious reasons.... no I would never become vegetarian.

It's far too much of a hassle, socially and otherwise. i don't like having to check the food i'm eating for bad ingredients, especially eating out at resturants, I find most non-indian vegetarian food to be quite bland.... and frankly I love fast food.

I'm totally keen for synthetic foods myself.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I know that I am 1 documentary away from becoming vegan.

I don,t know how long I can stomach willfill ignorance, but I do try and cut back on meat as much as possible.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Never 100% but I honestly wouldn't mind if the food was available everywhere. Some of it tastes really good and I don't get discomfort from eating it like I do with normal food.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I've done research on why people go vegetarian and, despite agreeing with a lot of the issues, I just like meat too much. I would jump the waging to lab grown meat at the first opportunity however.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Certain foods cause inflammation within our system. This is known. And (red) meat belongs into this group. Not to eat (red) meat has been part of many doctor recommended diets way before vegetarian was a thing. That's like claiming "alcohol is not harmful for our body".

Except that you need to learn about the word epidemiology you didnt give any response.

Show any studies to counter or proof otherwise? So its just your individual case? Did you decide or did you actually consult a doctor (mind: with a degree). In your first post you claimed "vegan and vegetarian diets are healthy" would be based on anecdotal evidence, yet you wave away all those studies I linked you and point to your own anecdotal evidence for "proof"?

I never said that vegetarian diet would be healthy for everyone. There are people out there that must eat meat. I have my doubts that you belong to said group thought.

You won't name diseases because there aren't any

If you get grocery delivery from SPUD (Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton) they have beyond meat burgers. pretty expensive but great to have the option.

Our words are wasted I am afraid. He has a very firm opinion that meat is the only way to eat and vegetarians are the unhealthiest people ever.

Beyond Meat and the Impossible Burger are 100% plant based

Where did you hear that meat substitutes use animal cells?
"Fake meat" does not equal meat substitutes in my definition. It's meat that pretends to be meat but doesnt come freshly cut from a real cow. That may include vegetarian/vegan, but I havent heard about those (they arent available here yet either) vegan options yet. Just about the clean meat stuff.

I just know those horrible wanabe substitutes from the vegan/vegetarian department that my family serves me from time to time when they want to be inclusive. All I think is "this tastes horrible i'd rather have a none-fastfood version".

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Think I've basically reverted back to veganism now. Stopped once I moved to Japan since eating outside was impossible witout planning, but recently moved to Germany and it's a lot easier here, both at home and outside. Will probably bend the rules a bit when outside with people out of convenience for them but at home or on my own I'll go back.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
still trying to find that meat-free stew/soup that is to my liking (not into pumpkin or tomato). Till that day...

jkanownik

Oct 27, 2017
I never imagined I would go vegetarian (lacto-ovo technically) in the 1st 39 years of my life, but it has been easier than I expected. I don't see myself going back. Reading about the Permian extinction and also thinking about Yuval Noah Hurari's books converted me.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Seems it would make it hard to keep my gains plus I love the flavor too much. What would I put in my tacos?

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I have and I could probably. Would be hard to give up barbeque tho.

Vegan is a big nope tho. I like eggs too much.

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
I was 13 when I just realized it's one of the easiest things I can do to reduce my carbon footprint.
I''m 19 now and been vegetarian for 6 years, honestly couldn't think about going back. At least in europe grocery stores are filled with good plant-based alternatives.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
At a push I could probably go pescetarian pretty easily as I have already been increasing the amount of fish in my diet recently in place of other meats but I don't think I could ever fully give up chicken in particular.

I've already mostly cut red meat out of my diet as its environmental impact has become a bit hard to justify but even then I enjoy it on some rare occasions as a treat.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Been vegetarian a long time, real cheese on pizza stands in the way of me being full vegan but that's not too often. Halloumi too I guess.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My ex was vegan. If I could flip the switch in my brain and enjoy the vegan lifestyle, I would 100%. I'm unfortunately not strong enough to do that and retraining my brain on the type of food I like is probably too hard at my age. Guess I'm part of the problem.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
If I knew I could stick with it, I'd be a vegetarian. I know that's not possible.

What I can do is cut down on my meat consumption, and make sure I buy animal products from suppliers that treat the animals ethically, which I have been doing for awhile now and plan to continue to do.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Considered it. We do have vegan weeks and we eat less meat in general these days. And the meat we do eat is from sustainable farms where the animals have a decent life.
But no, i don't see myself going completely vegan yet.
Replying myself here. Funny enough we are eating even less meat these days and it has only been little over a month since i replied to this topic.
Still don't think i'll go fully vegetarian or vegan but we considerably cut down on meat. Some dishes we always considered to not be the same without meat are completely fine and delicious without it. Just try sometimes, for obvious reasons.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Ive thought about it, but dont think i could do it.

I do think I could do like 3 days a week tho, and I think from an environmental standpoint that would be a more sensible objective

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Haven't eaten meat since January 1st and it's been wonderful. No more guilt, less food prep and I feel a little healthier too. There are drawbacks like protein, but nothing I can't handle with other foods. Don't miss it at all. This video is one of the many things that finally pushed me over the edge.

Factory farming is a disgusting industry and I'm so happy to not be supporting it anymore.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am vegan in all ways but one: shoes. My feet are so wide & flat that I have a hard time finding shoes as is. Normal shoe stores (& other places that sell shoes) don't generally carry vegan shoes (or they have no idea what shoes are and what aren't) and due to my flat & wide feet, ordering online is a folly. I'd just be sending shoes back and forth since most shoes feel really bad in my feet.

I try to compensate this with buying slightly more expensive, better build-quality shoes that last me more than a summer. Like, I've had a single pair of sandals for 13 years. It's been maybe 2 years since I last bough shoes.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going on a big trip to a Hispanic country in the summer, but after that I really wanna give my shot at being vegetarian for Climate Change's sake. :( I'm gunna miss the meat.

For those asking why not start now, it's gunna be impossible to not eat meat in that country so I might as well wait until after.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going on a big trip to a Hispanic country in the summer, but after that I really wanna give my shot at being vegetarian for Climate Change's sake. :( I'm gunna miss the meat.

For those asking why not start now, it's gunna be impossible to not eat meat in that country so I might as well wait until after.
Rare are the places nowadays that don't have a fairly decent vegan/vegetarian offerings nowadays. Some places have it better than others but even in smaller cities in most countries, most restaurants have at least one or two vegan/vegetarian dishes and stores carry stuff like falafel, soy steaks and/or seitan products. Of course quality varies. A lot of chefs who aren't vegan/vegetarian can be a bit lacking in their vegetarian/vegan cooking skills.

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
I tried being a vegetarian for a while. Combined it with not drinking and IF. Lost about 10 kg. Felt pretty good.
I like to lift a bit so it really is hard to get decent amounts of protein, because I only eat two meals a day most days, so I'm back to chicken for one meal and eggs for the other.
I don't buy pork and beef anymore. If somebody has it at a party or something, I'll eat it if there are no decent alternatives, but I won't buy it. I also cut down on dairy considerably. I only have a whey protein shake every day and cheese once a week.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was vegetarian for a little over a year; then I stepped it up to vegan a few months ago, maybe around Late October, early November. It's not that hard, and the benefits are all worth it (animals, health, global warming). It's eye-opening how many animal products are used in things you wouldn't think of, too, especially since reading the ingredients is always a must for the keywords cheese/cheddar, honey, milk, butter, egg. Then you traverse the minefields that are breakfast cereals with their vitamins, which can be/usually are animal-derived, and there's a lot of that. Which makes for some interesting "accidentally" vegan things.

Cap'n Crunch is vegan. It's honest and doesn't say it's anything else than delicious sugar. In contrast, Cheerios aren't vegan, and it's because of the animal-derived vitamins. Wild.

Oreos are vegan, too <3. Sweet and Spicy Chili Doritos, even.

Hopefully more people can change. Shit, even five years ago, I sure as fuck never thought I'd be vegan. Almost all vegans start that way, anyway: "I don't think I could do it, I love 'x' too much." Mine was cheese/pepperoni. Pizza, basically. You know what, though? Most pizza places let you order without cheese, and it's honestly not that different to me. Just ask for extra sauce so it doesn't dry out. Veggie pizza with no cheese and extra marinara... delicious. I encourage you all to give it a shot next time you order, just to see if it's all that different.

My other "I can't" vice was ice cream. Since getting healthier, though, I don't crave it as much, but hot damn is there some tasty vegan ice cream out there. It's just as well that I don't crave it since by comparison to animal ice cream (size/price ratio), vegan ice cream is definitely expensive.

Groceries-wise, nothing's really changed. I live off my beans, rice, fruits, and veggies. I also experiment with tofu when I overcome my laziness. If you don't cook, you'll really feel a hole in your bank account if you live off vegan frozen food.

Just remember: you can be vegan and still be chunky. There's a lot of good [junk] food out there.

upk4h1slmiz11.jpg

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I've been Vegan for 10 months and i've never felt better. I have a lot more energy, been sleeping a lot better and before i went plant based i used to have really bad migraines (sometimes 2/3 a week) but since then i've had maybe 2? in the last 10 months.

Feel free if anyones has any questions because it's the norm for me now and can't see myself eating meat again.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I don't eat meat every day but I wouldn't want to give it up either. A medium rare steak is just too good.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I have been for 7 years. It was a very easy thing to do as I was never a massive meat eater anyway. I wouldn't try to persuade other people though, whats easy for one person might not be for others and people should want to do it rather than be talked into it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I could easily be a vegetarian. There's enough food that I like to sustain myself and there's Quorn which is delicious.

But, I do love meat too much to cut it out entirely. I've considered doing more meat free days though to cut down my intake.

itsinmyveins

May 4, 2019
Been a vegetarian for a few years now. I just can't quit cheese dammit, so eating only vegan is out of the picture. Without cheese I'd cave at once. But I should cut down on it.

As a fan of meat I'm very excited about the beyond burger etc, but where I live most places have at least a few vegetarian options other than just "sallad".

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a vegan for a few months now.
although sometimes I have vegetarian days, mostly because it can be hard to find vegan food when you are out with friends.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I frequently choose vegetarian and vegan options, but am not full-time for either. I basically always eat vegetarian or vegan when I dine out, which makes it very easy, and only eat meat at home (and even then, not always - maybe 1/3rd of my meals?)