• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If so, whats made you stop from going vegetarian/vegan?
If you havent ever, why don't you want to be vegetarian/vegan?

For those that are vegetarian/vegan share some tips, or recipes.

I've been vegetarian for almost two years. What broke me was the movie Okja, and my parents bringing me on a fishing thing out on the Atlantic on the edge of Newfoundland and seeing how fish are just thrown aboard and left to bleed out scarred me, before then I always thought about going Vegetarian but never had the push I needed.

This is not a hate thread, I do not hate people who eat meat. It is your choice in the end, and you do whatever makes you happy. So I hope you can treat me the same way.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I did yoga I had half an inkling for it. Tried it for one meal and never went back. Not sure why.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I've done it for Lent.

While not super difficult, it is kind of annoying when going to a restaurant and you just never feel completely full.

Plus I feel like if I gave up meat I'd be more tempted to fall back on really unhealthy stuff like deep fried foods and all that.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I've considered it, but I've always felt being strictly vegetarian is bad for you and I like my meats :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally couldn't do it, but since August I have made great strides to cut down my overall meat consumption. Especially beef.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I've done a few religious fasts over the years that were basically vegan. I can say that it's a lot easier and more enjoyable to be a vegan now than even a couple years ago.

It sucks starting out but after the first week or so, you're fine.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, definitely. I don't think I could ever do it, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've cut back significantly on my beef consumption due to the environment. I rarely eat pork already; like a chop once in a blue moon. Chicken and fish are still my main staples. I love pretty much all vegetables, so I don't think making a truly serious life commitment to vegetarianism would be too difficult.

Veganism? My eggs and cheese. ;~;

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yes, I'm currently vegan. I go in stages. I have just as much energy, the " bad" weight comes off easier... it's waaay more $$$ though sadly. It's made easier because the Trader Joe's mozzarella vegan cheese is actually very good, melts fantastically

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say i have ever given it any thought past joking about it. I eat chicken and fish, not beef so i got that going for my conscience on the environment. Other than that i feel no desire to become vegetarian, much less vegan.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I have mad respect for vegans and vegetarians but personally, I don't see the point in it. I know producing livestock is bad for the planet because over-population/methane production but I hear deforestation is taking place in an unethical way to produce lentils for vegans.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, all of the time. But vegetarian, not vegan.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
No, not really. I don't think I could do it. I don't think I'd get enough protein, iron, or B12.

I know it's possible to, I just don't think I would.

Also I like meat, cheese, and milk too much.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
yeah i've thought about it several times, nowadays even more bc my girlfriend is becoming a vegetarian. my general meat consumption has reduced in the last years but i don't feel like doing this jump, at least not yet. who knows

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting there. Have cut out all beef and pork. I've limited poultry and eat more fish for animal protein now. Would kind of like to give vegetarian a try for a few months.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I was a vegetarian for about a year, but then my financial situation changed to the point where continuing would have put more of a hardship on myself, so I'm back to a diet that includes meat. I'm sure I'll go back at some point in the future, though.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
A decade ago I thought about being a pescatarian to eat healthier since I really began to like fish and beans. But then I realized how much I love meat. I eat the majority of my meals with it. Take away fish and then I'm left with a few breakfasts a week. No way I could do it.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think about doing it a lot.

I think vegetarians pretty clearly are on the winning side of the moral argument as well as the environmental argument. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I am really, really weak and have poor self control.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
We have very similar stories.

I always tried for a few months at a time but could never stick to it. Okja was the thing that made me actually change permanently of all things.

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about going vegetarian for a long time. I've never had any prior interest in becoming vegan and still don't. Past couple months I've been sort of lessening the amount of meat I eat here and there a little.
Then last night I saw a movie with a line in it that hit hard and I kinda just don't want to eat meat anymore.

I'm sure I'll still have a little here and there when family prepares a meat dish when we get together but personally when I'm calling the shots I'm going to avoid it now.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I've considered it.
But instead of going all the way I just lowered my intake to maybe 1-2 meals a week so I'm sure I get all my amino acids, heme iron, and some vitamins/minerals. Well, I do still eat eggs for breakfast most days. Every other meal generally involves lentils/beans/whatever as my protein.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
In a few weeks I will have been a vegetarian for a year.

It's not really that hard. Today for breakfast I had a potato breakfast burrito from Taco Bell. For lunch, I had a few pieces of cheese pizza. And for dinner I had a baked potato.

So you can eat crap and still get takeout or whatever while being vegetarian. That hasn't been hard

...actually nothing has really been hard about being a vegetarian lol. I've been cooking some of the best food in my life. Black bean burrito bowls, veggie burgers, delicious salads, as long as you're flexible (sometimes you may have to order side dishes as a meal) it's not challenging. Most food is vegetarian, so if you just ignore meat (and gelatin based deserts) you're good to go.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4292

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have very similar stories.

I always tried for a few months at a time but could never stick to it. Okja was the thing that made me actually change permanently of all things.
The damn movie made me break down in tears.

I've thought about going vegetarian for a long time. I've never had any prior interest in becoming vegan and still don't. Past couple months I've been sort of lessening the amount of meat I eat here and there a little.
Then last night I saw a movie with a line in it that hit hard and I kinda just don't want to eat meat anymore.

I'm sure I'll still have a little here and there when family prepares a meat dish when we get together but personally when I'm calling the shots I'm going to avoid it now.
What movie was it if i may ask

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Let me also say I live in LA county and there are vegan options for restaurants and in markets for any food you can think of. Mexican, BBQ, Burgers,Italian... makes it a lot easier to live a normal lifestyle.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Went Vegetarian for a couple of months in middle school. My mom got tired of trying to find food for me. Haven't tried since, but I haven't eaten pork or red meat since 2006

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I could ever go fully vegan, but after eating at this amazing vegan spot in Nashville this past week I think I could at least make 50 percent of my meals vegan.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Fleetingly just because I don't like how we slaughter animals but nature is cruel and I like meat too much.

I hope the lab-grown meat technology takes off soon so I don't have to justify anything anyway.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a vegetarian for 5 or so years but then I just started to miss turkey burgers. I mostly eat veggies and fruit but I need that turkey.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have never seriously considering either being a vegan or a vegetarian.

What made me stop is lack of interest in either option.

Now if you grow fake meat that tastes just like real meat? I'll switch to that as long as I can afford it.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Vegetarian for a year now for ethical reasons. Honestly nothing's really changed much, I just replace meat with tofu or tempeh. And Beyond Meat is a godsend. Gardein is pretty good too.

Haven't really missed it but all of a sudden lately I'm just craving sliced smoked sausage on crackers, don't think I can find any kind of suitable replacement for that :(

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I think about being vegetarian all the time. I definitely think I could just about manage it, mainly due to egg and cheese. There's also Quorn. If that was cheaper I'd probably be vegetarian most days with meat as a treat.

I couldn't be vegan I think.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm 34 and been a vegetarian for 17 years. Have tried to go vegan full time but it's hard (cheese is the main thing as vegan cheese is expensive and not widely available other than one main chain) so it's on and off.

Never faltered with being veggie though.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
I eat less meat than before but I'll never give it up since I enjoy it too much.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is vegetarian but I grew up a meat eater. I don't think I could completely give it up but around the house we make vegetarian meals and for dinner I'll cook a piece of fish (it thaws and cooks way quicker than chicken so doesn't disrupt things) to supplement. When going out to eat or something I do eat some meat sometimes, but that's not terribly often.

Basically I've reduced my meat consumption since being with her to probably 15% of what it was which I feel is pretty decently ethical. It's easy to stick with, too.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if those Beyond subtitutes keep getting cheaper I could see myself eating those more.

But I would really miss things like KBBQ.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nope. I didn't have thoughts of going vegan. Most meals I like have meat in it and I like them way too much to skip on all meats. Don't get me wrong though: gotta love those veggies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4292

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vegetarian for a year now for ethical reasons. Honestly nothing's really changed much, I just replace meat with tofu or tempeh. And Beyond Meat is a godsend. Gardein is pretty good too.

Haven't really missed it but all of a sudden lately I'm just craving sliced smoked sausage on crackers, don't think I can find any kind of suitable replacement for that :(
Beyond Meat is scary good, only available through A&W here in Canada, but i've tried the not chicken strips and their sausage. Gardein also has the best Meatless Meatballs.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I could never go fully vegan, but I have actively been cutting down. I try to have two days a week with no animal products now.

I have a friend who is very committed to being vegan without being nuts about it, and her food always looks crazy good, so I get a lot of inspiration from that.