dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm glad something passed, and the unemployment measures didn't get stripped out. but i think the nation is sort of in for a collective shock at how many people are working in the gig economy whose needs are likely going to go completely unmet for the foreseeable future.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there is a student loan repayment addition to the bill. Employers can contribute pre tax dollars towards the repayment of loans.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So after the house passes it, we at least have 4 months that we can feel calm about this. If there is any reality to what the CDC is saying it will go away as summer happens, we might be back here this fall.
Based on a very detailed modeling presentation from our Governor today (who is actually competent and a former teacher). The goal, at this point is not to kill the disease, it's to slow roll it out with enough buffer for the hospitals to maintain the people who need it. The though is that by summer we will likely be able to have exposed and treated enough that we won't have a massive spike concern again, though nothing is for sure.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This isn't quite true. Plenty of non-essential companies are operating as WFH. The UI section even explicitly says none of those people are eligible.
Yeah it's not everyone but it's certainly a lot, where their hand was still forced to a degree. Any longer and the Dems would have had even more leverage for future bills.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Based on a very detailed modeling presentation from our Governor today (who is actually competent and a former teacher). The goal, at this point is not to kill the disease, it's to slow roll it out with enough buffer for the hospitals to maintain the people who need it. The though is that by summer we will likely be able to have exposed and treated enough that we won't have a massive spike concern again, though nothing is for sure.

At any rate, I think weather doesn't really bother it because it is so hard to get rid of since it stays on surfaces for so long inside regardless. My initial comment is wrong regardless.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

I hope for the day when we can say "Okay, 10 people got infected today. They were immediately quarantined across the various states. No one died."

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Hey guys, so I have some questions, if anyone can help answer them.

I didn't lose my job, my job just cut everyone's hours down. So instead of working 35 hours a week, I work 10 hours and was eligible and got accepted for unemployment insurance in my State. I'm getting $255 a week from it.

Would I also be eligible for another form of unemployment from the federal government directly? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope for the day when we can say "Okay, 10 people got infected today. They were immediately quarantined across the various states. No one died."
That day will come, not yet though.

The only way out is through.

And just to put real people with it. My wife is a front line medical worker and the more of you that stay home, the less exposed she is every day. I know it sucks to stay home and have your jobs closed down, but you really are saving your loved ones lives and buying valuable time for our health system. And not just the system, but the humans that are waking up each day and risking themselves to save people.

My wife was off all day today and spent most of the day in video conferences with Chinese medical professionals helping them with techniques and experiences, working on educational items in certain scenarios, etc. It's a lot ya'll.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, so I have some questions, if anyone can help answer them.

I didn't lose my job, my job just cut everyone's hours down. So instead of working 35 hours a week, I work 10 hours and was eligible and got accepted for unemployment insurance in my State. I'm getting $255 a week from it.

Would I also be eligible for another form of unemployment from the federal government directly? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Underemployment is the phrase. Yes, there are provisions for that.

I'm sorry that happened to you.