Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Does this expand relief for self-employed/freelancers? As far as I can tell as-is, my state has no form of unemployment for someone like me who lost every job within 24 hours for the foreseeable future. Hopefully that's what they're referring to with 'expanded eligibility'.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Order food from a local non chain restaurant

Already doing so semi-regularly (my default is to eat lunch out at work 3 or so times a week anyway because I'm too lazy to pack a lunch). Getting a little annoyed at how many of the drivers are ignoring the leave at door requests though, including from services where that's supposed to be the default now...

We were starting to test drive/car shop prior to this really hitting here. Now, most dealer sales here are shuttered for now. Service is open, but I don't think we could test drive or buy a car if we wanted to (not that we're going out to do so at this time anyway)

I don't mean at the moment, ha ha, for all the reasons you mention. Once things start to open up again, whether that's a month, 2 months, 6 months, whatever. We already have some ideas about what we want but were leaning towards waiting another year or so until her current car is paid off (the Trade-In would more than cover what she still owes, just wanted to put it off possibly until we were a little further into our other car payment)

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already doing so semi-regularly (my default is to eat lunch out at work 3 or so times a week anyway because I'm too lazy to pack a lunch). Getting a little annoyed at how many of the drivers are ignoring the leave at door requests though, including from services where that's supposed to be the default now...

Report them. Now is not the time to be dicking around and not following safety instructions.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that the bill suspends student loan payments through 9/30 (starting grad school in August so woo hoo suspending payments for 2 years haha) but is there anything we know of yet about the 10k payment toward our loans? I know its still early but some additional details seem to be coming out now.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that the bill suspends student loan payments through 9/30 (starting grad school in August so woo hoo suspending payments for 2 years haha) but is there anything we know of yet about the 10k payment toward our loans? I know its still early but some additional details seem to be coming out now.
That was never going to happen in this Senate.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

That was part of the House bill, not the Senate one.

Summary text of whats in the bill
OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Snipping some of the summaries people seem to care most about.

On the checks:
Section 2201. 2020 recovery rebates for individuals

All U.S. residents with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 ($150,000 married), who are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible social security number, are eligible for the full $1,200 ($2,400 married) rebate. In addition, they are eligible for an additional $500 per child. This is true even for those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from non-taxable means-tested benefit programs, such as SSI benefits.

For the vast majority of Americans, no action on their part will be required in order to receive a rebate check as IRS will use a taxpayer's 2019 tax return if filed, or in the alternative their 2018 return. This includes many low-income individuals who file a tax return in order to take advantage of the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. The rebate amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 that a taxpayer's income exceeds the phase-out threshold. The amount is completely phased-out for single filers with incomes exceeding $99,000, $146,500 for head of household filers with one child, and $198,000 for joint filers with no children.

Expansion of unemployment eligibility:

Section 2102. Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
This section creates a temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program through December 31, 2020 to provide payment to those not traditionally eligible for unemployment benefits (self-employed, independent contractors, those with limited work history, and others) who are unable to work as a direct result of the coronavirus public health emergency.

Length and payment:

Section 2104. Emergency Increase in Unemployment Compensation Benefits
This section provides an additional $600 per week payment to each recipient of unemployment insurance or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for up to four months

Unemployment length expansion for people who exhaust their state unemployment benefits:

Section 2107. Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation
This section provides an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits through December 31, 2020 to help those who remain unemployed after weeks of state unemployment benefits are no longer available.

Funding for states that offer unemployment for reduced work hours:

Section 2108. Temporary Financing of Short-Time Compensation Payments in States with Programs in Law
This section provides funding to support "short-time compensation" programs, where employers reduce employee hours instead of laying off workers and the employees with reduced hours receive a pro-rated unemployment benefit. This provision would pay 100 percent of the costs they incur in providing this short-time compensation through December 31, 2020.

Section 2109. Temporary Financing of Short-Time Compensation Agreements
This section provides funding to support states which begin "short-time compensation" programs. This provision would pay 50 percent of the costs that a state incurs in providing short-time compensation through December 31, 2020.

Incentives for businesses that keep employees on payroll:

Section 2301. Employee retention credit for employers subject to closure due to COVID-19

The provision provides a refundable payroll tax credit for 50 percent of wages paid by employers to employees during the COVID-19 crisis. The credit is available to employers whose (1) operations were fully or partially suspended, due to a COVID-19-related shutdown order, or (2) gross receipts declined by more than 50 percent when compared to the same quarter in the prior year.

The credit is based on qualified wages paid to the employee. For employers with greater than 100 full-time employees, qualified wages are wages paid to employees when they are not providing services due to the COVID-19-related circumstances described above. For eligible employers with 100 or fewer full-time employees, all employee wages qualify for the credit, whether the employer is open for business or subject to a shut-down order. The credit is provided for the first $10,000 of compensation, including health benefits, paid to an eligible employee. The credit is provided for wages paid or incurred from March 13, 2020 through December 31, 2020.

Full summary here: https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/...-by-Section (Tax, Unemployment Insurance).pdf

Healthcare focus summary here: https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CARES Act Section-by-Section (Finance Health).pdf

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Can Bernies single vote hold up the Covid Package if the Dems all vote to go forward with it? If I'm stating that correctly.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking bill tho

The bill also contains a six-month extension of federal funding through the end of November for abstinence-only education programs favored by social conservatives who are a critical Republican voting bloc. The extension is coupled with one for sex education programs that provide information about birth control and safe sex, which are supported by reproductive rights groups that tend to back Democrats.

www.nytimes.com

Fine Print of Stimulus Bill Contains Special Deals for Industries (Published 2020)

Small banks, retailers and for-profit colleges got provisions they wanted. So did Boeing. Among those who could potentially benefit: President Trump’s company.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This pig fucker doesn't even know how unemployment works!! It's not "forever" and you have to file, and employers can challenge it. You can't just be a shit employee and then get unemployment when you get fired. That's how out of touch this rich fuck is.

I can't say what I really feel without a ban. Fuck him.
Employers aren't really denying claims right now. OP hit the nail on the issue they're trying to get at:

I think theres no language in the bill that caps the federal unemployment benefit to 100% your wage, its just an additional $600 per week on top of what youre already getting from the state. So someone making less than $2400 a month would technically be better off while on unemployment than working. Of course unemployment only last for 4 months and theres no guarantee that you'll be able to quickly find employment once that runs.

If the $600 added benefit puts the worker above their normal wages, then it benefits both the employee because of more money in the pocket and the employer because they don't have all the additional payroll costs not typically seen by the employee.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I havent seen any numbers mentioned on what the eligbility is for invdiduals or joint filers in a household. Is everyone getting these checks or what?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt it Schumer who said Trump couldn't get a bailout? I swear I read that somewhere this morning

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I havent seen any numbers mentioned on what the eligbility is for invdiduals or joint filers in a household. Is everyone getting these checks or what?

Section 2201.

2020 recovery rebates for individuals All U.S. residents with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 ($150,000 married), who are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible social security number, are eligible for the full $1,200 ($2,400 married) rebate. In addition, they are eligible for an additional $500 per child. This is true even for those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from non-taxable means-tested benefit programs, such as SSI benefits.

For the vast majority of Americans, no action on their part will be required in order to receive a rebate check as IRS will use a taxpayer's 2019 tax return if filed, or in the alternative their 2018 return. This includes many low-income individuals who file a tax return in order to take advantage of the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. The rebate amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 that a taxpayer's income exceeds the phase-out threshold. The amount is completely phased-out for single filers with incomes exceeding $99,000, $146,500 for head of household filers with one child, and $198,000 for joint filers with no children.

BTW, this part makes me think there might be an alternate way to apply:
For the vast majority of Americans, no action on their part will be required

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
thanks, but ah shit, well looks like I am out then, Im about right above that threshold. Even though I live paycheck to paycheck as a contractor, have a tiny house, several kids, no benefits, haven't had a vacation in years(and those were just a weekend a few hours away) And really dont have spend any money on anything frivolous. Metro areas are expensive. And my hours are already being reduced, and will be nothing probably in a week or so.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, but ah shit, well looks like I am out then, Im about right above that threshold. Even though I live paycheck to paycheck as a contractor, have a tiny house, several kids, no benefits, haven't had a vacation in years(and those were just a weekend a few hours away) And really dont have spend any money on anything frivolous. Metro areas are expensive. And my hours are already being reduced, and will be nothing probably in a week or so.
You'll get more from unemployment than you would from the check.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I've filed for 2019, but I owed money. Will they look at how I received 2018 to pay me or mail me a check?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Bernie is putting his foot down and stepping up with an ultimatum.

They can't make a deal and then decide to gut it and expect everyone to go along.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked years ago, I thought contractors dont get unemployment since they are project based or whatever and you weren't technically laid off.
From the same link:

Section 2102. Pandemic Unemployment Assistance

This section creates a temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program through December 31, 2020 to provide payment to those not traditionally eligible for unemployment benefits (self-employed, independent contractors, those with limited work history, and others) who are unable to work as a direct result of the coronavirus public health emergency

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uber and Lyft getting away scot-free, will not help their de facto employees one bit and lobbied hard for the, to be included in the bill. We all end up subsidizing these companies.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
So what are you supposed to do about wage garnishment if your employer and debt collector are still garnishing your wages?