Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
You really don't see how the specific name you dropped is a spoiler? Everyone is referring to them as early, mid, or late game bosses and tagging them as they should. C'mon man, even if it doesn't matter to you, be courteous to others and put spoiler tags in your posts.
Not really, although I wasn't the one who posted the name.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Marathon boss battles kind of gets away from what makes From Software's bosses so much fun to begin with. I think their first few dabbles in multi-stage bosses were kind of novel and surprising but Sekiro really pushes that to its limits at times. The fight with Genichiro is kind of alright because of how low his posture is and the GA is just a great surprise overall. The final boss though just feels tedious in comparison and probably should have just had a single, massive moveset like Soul of Cinder.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marathon boss battles kind of gets away from what makes From Software's bosses so much fun to begin with. I think their first few dabbles in multi-stage bosses were kind of novel and surprising but Sekiro really pushes that to its limits at times. The fight with Genichiro is kind of alright because of how low his posture is and the GA is just a great surprise overall. The final boss though just feels tedious in comparison and probably should have just had a single, massive moveset like Soul of Cinder.

It's just kind of exhausting, honestly. Like, if you do it once, it's a cute surprise. If you do it five times, it's just excessive. Especially when at least one phase of the fight is designed solely to waste your resources or get you off your game to make learning the later phases more difficult.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Quick question about game progression now that I'm in NG+:

If I go and beat both Corrupted Monk and Guardian Ape even before I reach the top of the castle, what happens? What's the trigger for the Owl to show up at the top? Does he show up immediately after Genichiro?
The trigger from my experience is

Getting the stone after defeating illusion Corrupted Monk. When you get the stone, the Idols in Ashina castle become inaccesible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The trigger from my experience is

Getting the stone after defeating illusion Corrupted Monk. When you get the stone, the Idols in Ashina castle become inaccesible.

You need to get all three MacGuffins for the idols to turn off. If you don't have the Mortal Blade or the Flower but do have the Fragrant Stone, or if you have the Blade and the Stone but not the Flower, you'll still be able to teleport up to Kuro's room.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed with the enemy variety, especially in comparison to previous games. Although, there are plenty of unique minbosses that can be counted as real bosses

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time against a boss.

Demon of Hatred. Any advice? I tend to stay close to him, on the right, but I still take some hits. When he gets away from me he hit me hard with his fireballs. I often get hit by his unblockable too, because he does it in the middle of my attack.
Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella can help.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You need to get all three MacGuffins for the idols to turn off. If you don't have the Mortal Blade or the Flower but do have the Fragrant Stone, or if you have the Blade and the Stone but not the Flower, you'll still be able to teleport up to Kuro's room.
That makes sense.
The stone was the last item I got and I had a save file when I defeated the illusion Monk. This way I was able to get all endings in one playthrough.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Demon of Hatred. Any advice? I tend to stay close to him, on the right, but I still take some hits. When he gets away from me he hit me hard with his fireballs. I often get hit by his unblockable too, because he does it in the middle of my attack.
stick to his right leg
I preferred to block/deflect the stomps, it was more reliable than dodging
the double fire sweep you dodge forward twice, the dodge the stomp that follows up and hit him
right arm sweep you jump left as soon as you hear it or see the kanji, immediately run towards him and and the fireballs are not going to hit you cause you are too close to him.
as soon as you see he's going to do the forward fire attack you run left and jump and the last moment
third phase has that fire slash attack to watch out, you jump it, jump the follow up and again run towards him
the trick is really to stay on him all the time

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Going for the Shura ending first and back to feeling like I haven't got a clue what I'm doing in the combat versus the last boss!

Question re: Shura boss:

Emma and Isshin both have a throw that I can't seem to get away from. What's the tactic to get away from their throw?
I'm used to largely just jumping/dodging backwards when I see the danger sign because I can't react quickly enough to tell the difference between the different animations, but the throw has crazy reach and grabs you in the air too. Do you just try to out-run it?

Isshin has a slow, delayed moveset, 8 times out of 10 when I go for a hit I end up trading with him, and he has a kind of wiff/dodge? I can't really tell what's happening, he just seems to hunch back a little and often my swing completely goes through him letting him attack back.

Back to the grindstone I guess.

the tactic for the grab is dodging fastly left or right, when the timing is right you can also try jump and jump again to do the enemy jump.

for the guy in general just attack once or don´t strike at all to provoke him slashing away and do everything slowly, you can often be really close and just go left and right, like a Dark Souls enemy.

for the last phase when he does the fiery overhead it is dodge, dodge, and immediately block otherwise the firetrail from his sword will get you

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Use the fire umbrella, aim to be underneath him as much as you can, keep trying and trying and trying.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I almost quit them I saw a video about other area of the game. I started exploring and oh my you can basically go to every area in the game before defeating a ton of main bosses. It has really changed the game and now I have 8 gourds and 4 prayer bead finished. What a game!!

Oct 25, 2017
That is 100% spot on. My DS4's left stick must have had some dust messing with inputs and the only games that would go nuts were the fromsoft games. I even made a short clip about it.

The fix? Spin the left stick while blowing into it.

That's exactly what happens for that streamer!

Probably the same for the lock-on issue, just the other analogue stick.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Corrupted Monk
(looks like a spirit) is the first real wall for me so far,I went straight from Genichiro to there and I don't know if I should keep trying or explore the other areas.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Genishiro and a couple of mini bosse gave me no trouble today, but the Giant Ape ist horrible. I can stun him with the fire crackers, but only a couple of times. His jump attack seems to be his weakness, however, when you are out of firecrackers you only get maybe two hits in and are in severe danger. Same goes for the moments when you can rope to his head. It is almost like he is luring the player in. I struggle to get him down to half his health bar, and I know that there is a second phase. Any advice?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Corrupted Monk
(looks like a spirit) is the first real wall for me so far,I went straight from Genichiro to there and I don't know if I should keep trying or explore the other areas.
Look at the name of the boss closely. it's an illusion, right? remember what items could be good against illusions. the game taught you that

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not getting enough hours to play, so I'm lagging behind. Think I may have all the Mcguffins soon, end of the game can't be too far after that right?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or are nearly all combat arts apart from Ichimonjis and Mortal Draw complete rubbish? They do as much damage as 1 or 2 standard attacks, many barely do any posture damage and most of them are too slow to do in most combat situations as either the attack animation is long (and does not stagger enemies), the windup is long or you have to remember to let go of a button which is very easy to fumble since it's often easy to do thrust attack instead of combat art. The ninjutsus are all useful and fun so I don't know what the hell went wrong with the combat arts.

I just tried all of them against the samurai and purple ninja in the Antechamber area and at least those had no trouble doing hits on me while I try to finish my combat art.

Others are useful too, but ichimonji and mortal blade are the best for posture and vitality damage, respecively. There are 2 sets of combat arts that are really subpart; the 2 passages as multiple hits themselves don't provide benefits for taking longer to do it and needing buffs to be semi useful (living force or bestowal into passages is kind of ok), and the iaido arts that are just too slow and offer no additional defensive options while in stance and for removing your mobility (one mind comes out a little faster so is kind of usable but the downside is still the same and severe). 3 of 4 costing emblems doesn't help either. That said, nightjar is a good for it's mobility (especially when approaching from the air), dragon slash is longer ranged mortal blade (for the shockwave at least) but cost more and slower, shadow arts is the best long range engagement art, senpou fist is faster but lower posture damage, and senpou kick is a really good sweep counter (high monk itself is lackluster however).

Edit: I forgot that whirlwind slash is solid when added to the end of any hit, but that's more relevant early game than later.

Last edited:

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Corrupted Monk
You can stunlock her to death by
throwing firecrackers in her face, swinging twice, rinse repeat till dead.
For even faster results, use confetti and yashariku/ako sugar before beginning the fight.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
I almost quit them I saw a video about other area of the game. I started exploring and oh my you can basically go to every area in the game before defeating a ton of main bosses. It has really changed the game and now I have 8 gourds and 4 prayer bead finished. What a game!!
You can explore roughly 80% of the world by just defeating a single boss; it's pretty crazy.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It's just kind of exhausting, honestly. Like, if you do it once, it's a cute surprise. If you do it five times, it's just excessive. Especially when at least one phase of the fight is designed solely to waste your resources or get you off your game to make learning the later phases more difficult.

Debatable...in the end i just didn´t care for the phases because i smoked the first phases so fast without losing resources that it did not matter at all.

i thought it is a cool way to provide a challenge, it was like a fighting game were you have to win.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Shura
NG+ last boss is kicking my ass. I might as well not have any VIT it seems. LOL Oh well, I'll get it.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Look at the name of the boss closely. it's an illusion, right? remember what items could be good against illusions. the game taught you that
Snapseed?How this help me here?I can take half her health and really close to break her posture,but my attacks do minimal damage.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Genishiro and a couple of mini bosse gave me no trouble today, but the Giant Ape ist horrible. I can stun him with the fire crackers, but only a couple of times. His jump attack seems to be his weakness, however, when you are out of firecrackers you only get maybe two hits in and are in severe danger. Same goes for the moments when you can rope to his head. It is almost like he is luring the player in. I struggle to get him down to half his health bar, and I know that there is a second phase. Any advice?
First phase is very weak to oil plus flame vent, but your timing needs to be pitch perfect coz he hits really hard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Debatable...in the end i just didn´t care for the phases because i smoked the first phases so fast without losing resources that it did not matter at all.

i thought it is a cool way to provide a challenge, it was like a fighting game were you have to win.

It's really a YMMV kind of thing. I like being able to practice against a boss without anything in the way. Having that first phase in the final boss fight is just an impediment to me having full health/gourds when I walk into the actual final boss, and while it's nice for lore/story reasons, I just wish he would stay dead after the first time I destroyed him so I'm not wasting time punching through him to get to the real fight. Y'know?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Adding fodder that, as you say can be beaten without wasting resources is not adding challenge, just adding filler, filler to make the learning tries against the true boss longer for no reason. There's really no added challenge to it other than wasting time, for a boss that without it, it's already the hardest and longest boss in the game (DoH can be compared but you can almost skip a whole phase with the proper tools and items).

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Timing is not really my strong suit. But I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Timing is necessary coz you need to use the charged version of the vent, which takes an extra second to go off. But the reward is worth it coz he gets burned and stunned for a good few seconds and then you can whale on him while the fire also damages him.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Timing is necessary coz you need to use the charged version of the vent, which takes an extra second to go off. But the reward is worth it coz he gets burned and stunned for a good few seconds and then you can whale on him while the fire also damages him.
Allright. Will do that. First thing tomorrow. I don't want him to take away my good nights sleep what happens when you fight a From-Software-Boss relentlessly before going to sleep.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Question about endings and bosses, because a friend of mine made a few comments but was super vague about it.

I just beat the Owl.

Can I not fight Corrupted Monk this playthrough because I chose to stay loyal to Kuro? Also, are there optional bosses I should go for before triggering what I assume is the ending sequence by talking to Kuro?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Question about endings and bosses, because a friend of mine made a few comments but was super vague about it.

I just beat the Owl.

Can I not fight Corrupted Monk this playthrough because I chose to stay loyal to Kuro? Also, are there optional bosses I should go for before triggering what I assume is the ending sequence by talking to Kuro?
You can fight that boss and you are not triggering the ending sequence by doing what you said. You are about...70% through the game?

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
If you're sure you encountered all minibosses, there are some that are simply hidden away in chests or other locations. It's hard to guess which ones, since there are 40x total, but you should be able to find a list online.

I found a guide online and I was missing a couple of hidden away prayer beads. It sucks that i can't collect all of them though, because I'm at the end of the game.

In a positive note, I finally beat the Demon of Hatred boss!!

Oct 28, 2017
FUUUCKKKKK YEEEAAAAAAAHHHH

Final boss down bitches and I didn't even have to use a resurrection! I had that fight fucking figured out by the end!

Oct 27, 2017
I found bosses like Sister Friede, Demon Prince, and, well, any of the Ringed City bosses really to be way more exhausting and daunting than the final boss in Sekiro. Clearing health bars due to posture damage just makes fights go so much faster in Sekiro.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

His unblockable was near impossible for me to dodge consistently, you can jump away but it often comes too fast for me to react properly so I just used the Suzaku umbrella. It tanks the entire combo no problem and you can even use the counter-attack (assuming you have the skill) for decent vit/posture damage too.

For the fireballs, when he leaps away, immediately dash towards him. Do not hesitate (for hesitation is defeat), even if you're low on health, it's safer to just make a dash for it. The fireballs will go above your head.

If you do hesitate, or are still too far for whatever reason, immediately spring the Suzaku umbrella when the fireballs come, they can tank them fully.