Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Haven't conquered Genichiro yet, but the game having opened up after getting to the Castle has made it more fun. It's also cooled it on the absolute bullshit unbalanced mini-boss encounters, which having a cursory look at guides, I was butting my head against the games hardest ones way too soon before getting necessary attack upgrades.

The start of this game seems like it needed a lot more tweaking to construct a difficulty curve and not a hexagon of 50 metre walls surrounding you.
The general consensus seems to be that the game becomes easier as you progress, it's the opening few hours that are a motherfucker (which I'm currently stuck on :/)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have tried owl for like thirty times, he just has so much of hp and can oneshot me with quick slash, second phase which i have reached only couple of times kills me every time to poison or oneshot me if I am not at full health. On the positive note fight isn't annoying like guardian ape
How much attack do you have and vitality do you have? I beat him after 10 tries or something, he can be really damn annoying for sure. The poison isn't really an issue imo, just backstep one or two times. The dumb anti healing thing is annoying because you sometimes step into it when counterhitting.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks! Time to grind some Sen to buy that Umbrella!
Also (hope no one has posted this yet)
dtij7ne1r8o21.jpg
Too real
Oh my God, it is in the Offering Box! I love you PlanetSmasher! You are my favorite!
Wow, that's great news. Good to know, too! I'm happy for you, it would have sucked to miss out on a shinobi tool.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I have tried owl for like thirty times, he just has so much of hp and can oneshot me with quick slash, second phase which i have reached only couple of times kills me every time to poison or oneshot me if I am not at full health. On the positive note fight isn't annoying like guardian ape
That fight gave me the most trouble out of any boss fight. Taking down his HP works best to break that posture. The fight is very fair and once you figure out what pace to use in that fight, you got it. Good luck

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I am so sick of Guardian Ape. Even if I get to his second half I just don't understand his moveset enough to get through the fight. The flailing, indiscriminate slash attacks are impossible to parse. Why did they have to make THIS boss mandatory for progression?

If you want a safe way for his 2nd phase

His weird multi sword swing attack is 4 attacks, count them then go in for a few attacks make sure to quickly get away afterwards though as he will do his terror build up scream. Stay away otherwise and just look for that attack.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Friendly PSA/reminder in case people were unaware:

You don't die from falling into holes unless you are at low health, you just lose a bit of HP (about 1/3rd of your bar).

I repeat: FALLS ARE NOT FATAL

So if you aren't sure you can make that jump but think there's something there... jump away! YOLO!

Dec 6, 2017
US
Friendly PSA/reminder in case people were unaware:

You don't die from falling into holes unless you are at low health, you just lose a bit of HP (about 1/3rd of your bar).

I repeat: FALLS ARE NOT FATAL

So if you aren't sure you can make that jump but think there's something there... jump away! YOLO!

First time I went for a secret via jump, I stood there Souls style debating for fucking 20 seconds and watching my XP and currency flash before my eyes and decided to go for it. I didn't make it...and this happened.

I've been playing like a lunatic bouncing around everywhere since, feels great.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus seems to be that the game becomes easier as you progress, it's the opening few hours that are a motherfucker (which I'm currently stuck on :/)
I don't feel that's true.
You get better at the game and bosses repeat too so your skill transfers over into that but there are a few last couple of bosses that are probably among the hardest fromsoft content ever.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
First time I went for a secret via jump, I stood there Souls style debating for fucking 20 seconds and watching my XP and currency flash before my eyes and decided to go for it. I didn't make it...and this happened.

I've been playing like a lunatic bouncing around everywhere since, feels great.
The first time I fell, I was pushed back by some enemy attack (or panic-jumped away and fell, I don't recall exactly) and I died because I was at low health.

So naturally I just assumed that all those falls were fatal for a while. Only when I missed one hookshot... I think in Gun Valley? and didn't die, did I realize. I was all :O :O :O WHAT IS THIS SORCERY
Also #proofthatitsnotasoulsgamedammit

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've been following impressions of this game, and what seems striking to me is that it doesn't sound like a lot of these boss fights are fun.

Is that the case? Is that different than their other games in that regard? I only played Bloodborne once through because it literally gave me headaches, but there were a number of bosses I would have loved to fight again.

I just think bosses are phenomenal, even mini bosses feel like bosses most of the time.

It's true that a lot of them don't feel special in the same vein as in Bloodborne or Dark Souls but the main ones mostly do, Lady B, the Ape, and Genichiro are phenomenal fights and I still have a lot of game ahead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alright.

I've finished Genichiro, Guardian Ape, Corrupted Monk and the Screen Monkeys.

About how much game do I have left? Anything I should definitely do now before progressing the plot?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't get the criticisms about King Kong. The first phase is a standard Souls boss except you're jumping around instead of rolling or dodging, and the second phase is all about that posture maintenance. Plus he
throws his stinkies at you and does a fart;
I can't hate him just because of that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a question.

I think I'm fairly late in the game, but I have never encountered that twirling and jumping Monk boss From showed off in demos. Did I skip an area in the game somehow?

HOWEVER
I just encountered a ghostly "corrupted monk" version of that boss, with the same attacks I remember from the demos. The fuck? This normal or did I skip over an area in the game?

On the brown ape? Well that sucks. Focus on him anyway, he goes down way faster. Also use the firecracker.

I ended up using shurikens on the thing, I got down more than half its health with them, that helped a lot. It was a bitch tho.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Hmm, are we doing OT2?

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT2 | *Not* the Dark Souls of Games
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT2 | The Tenchu of Dark Souls
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT2 | The Dark Souls of Tenchu
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT2 | Prepare to Die (More Than) Twice

>.>
I got another (thanks Rex_DX for the inspiration)

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT2 | Praise the Rising Sun

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't get the criticisms about King Kong. The first phase is a standard Souls boss except you're jumping around instead of rolling or dodging, and the second phase is all about that posture maintenance. Plus he
throws his stinkies at you and does a fart;
I can't hate him just because of that.

I loved that fight even if I mostly ran in his second form.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
UM. So. Uh. Morrigan, I dunno if you saw this yet, but...

In the room after the Corrupted Monk, in front of the altar where you get the Shelter stone...the ground is carpeted in Phantasm slugs from Bloodborne.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been following impressions of this game, and what seems striking to me is that it doesn't sound like a lot of these boss fights are fun.

Is that the case? Is that different than their other games in that regard? I only played Bloodborne once through because it literally gave me headaches, but there were a number of bosses I would have loved to fight again.

Hell yeah it's fun. I haven't experienced an adrenaline rush like this fighting From bosses since the first Dark Souls. The combat is so fast and fluid and exhilarating. It's just also goddamn frustrating, too.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Are there more of the enemy protecting the shrine with the (arm technique spoiler)
Feather/teleporting jutsu
?

I noticed several of them dead next to the Tengu guy. I lucked out after my 10th attempt, incredibly hard enemy :(

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spent the last ~70 deaths trying to beat Genichiro V2, finally get him down and
his 2nd form pops up as a big fuck you to the last five hours of struggling and dealing with one of the most grueling tests of stamina and timing yet.

giphy.gif
Don't give up.
Did you beat Lady Butterfly yet? The boss attack boff from her made it more manageable for me.
Be aggressive, llet himpull out his bow as few times as possible.
When he transforms into his second form you can immediately mikiri his lunging attack that always comes out first. He's way more prone to posture damage since he doesn't have his armor anymore, the fight won't go that much l
So I got a question.

I think I'm fairly late in the game, but I have never encountered that twirling and jumping Monk boss From showed off in demos. Did I skip an area in the game somehow?

HOWEVER
I just encountered a ghostly "corrupted monk" version of that boss, with the same attacks I remember from the demos. The fuck? This normal or did I skip over an area in the game?

I ended up using shurikens on the thing, I got down more than half its health with them, that helped a lot. It was a bitch tho.
It really is a bitch lol. Also to your other question, no you didn't miss it.
You can skip it however, depending on a decision you have to make. I also find it wird they put the illusion first, doesn't make much sense to me.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So late game area/ability

Using the puppet ninjitsu to turn enemies into allies and making an army of palace gaurds fighting with you is fucking incredible. If you have the shinobi skill where you can leap over an enemy whose posture is broken to stealth kill them this allows you to make more than one enemy into an ally. Very useful against the groups in this area. Plus its so incredibly bad ass

This is the best game

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just killed
Divine Dragon
second try?! WTF. No way, that was too easy to be the last boss. I don't trust this one second

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there more of the enemy protecting the shrine with the (arm technique spoiler)
Feather/teleporting jutsu
?

I noticed several of them dead next to the Tengu guy. I lucked out after my 10th attempt, incredibly hard enemy :(
Yep.
One of them is a mini-boss, the others are a bit easier down the line.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Damn I want to play this again so bad, I'm wishing it was on Switch so I could play it during my commute and my lunch break.
Not a port beg, more "I want to play this game right now and can't wait till I get home" beg. I'm hooked.

For anyone playing in English, are we all agreement the dub is completely mediocre? I expected more from Activision tbh. I haven't played their games in years but I swear the COD games on PS3 had quality VO

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
So I've spent a ridiculous amount of time at the Hirata estate.. Is this meant to be played later when I've gotten more skills or what? Also the carp in the area.. Is there more than 4 scales to get? Also why can i kill certain carp and not the other i can see/lock on to?

Status
Not open for further replies.