ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Aha, pretty clever, thanks for sharing!

No problem! I was really surprised when I learned that trick. For some reason I didn't consider being able to sell cargo to the Reaper's (because it has a destination on it that is usually gospel) and the fact that you raise an emissary's rep for cargo when you deliver it rather than when you pick it up.

It's a weird set of specific circumstances that make it easy to exploit for a quick Reaper's Bounty grade two if you need it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Get your Twitch hat today!

OIF.6ruZv4voQabGfVbasFuM6Q

*tips frozen hat*

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having issues with the last 3 twitch drops, for some reason they don't appear in the game.

I really want the hat :(

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having issues with the last 3 twitch drops, for some reason they don't appear in the game.

I really want the hat :(

Did you definitely redeem them properly? Ie, watch the required time and then click 'redeem' in the Twitch Drops page? You should have them the day they're available.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
My new hobby is starting a closed galleon, put on a good quest (e..g destroy a skeleton aramada), get lots of resources & open the crew once close to the objective.

Works really well, people are immediately in the action & start cooperating. Takes a bit more time, but I just enjoy playing with random people (usually without using the mic) when not sailing with my mateys :)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
My new hobby is starting a closed galleon, put on a good quest (e..g destroy a skeleton aramada), get lots of resources & open the crew once close to the objective.

Works really well, people are immediately in the action & start cooperating. Takes a bit more time, but I just enjoy playing with random people (usually without using the mic) when not sailing with my mateys :)

You... outfit a galleon for battle.... solo? You absolute mad man

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
You... outfit a galleon for battle.... solo? You absolute mad man
Haha, it's actually less work than one might think. All you need to look for is rowboats, storage crates, barrels in the water or shipwrecks. Got to more than 200 cannon balls / 100 planks etc. in 30 / 40 minutes, totally worth the payoff imo :)

Edit: But I might just be weird, in the past I've often spent hours in a rowboat luring at forts or rowing across the map, hunting unsuspecting crews..

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's like putting up all the masking tape around the room then inviting your partner in to help you with the painting.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, it's actually less work than one might think. All you need to look for is rowboats, storage crates, barrels in the water or shipwrecks. Got to more than 200 cannon balls / 100 planks etc. in 30 / 40 minutes, totally worth the payoff imo :)

Edit: But I might just be weird, in the past I've often spent hours in a rowboat luring at forts or rowing across the map, hunting unsuspecting crews..

Just sailing it solo to look for those things sounds awful, yet alone doing all the loading and stowing on my own. I barely like taking the helm of a galleon when I HAVE a crew

Oct 27, 2017
Its literally the same as solo slooping just with a bigger boat. Hardly a herculean task

Except it is not?

Galleon will need more supplies if you expect 4 people to use it. You can easily get away with half the food/balls in the solo sloop.
Anchor, Sails, Steering are also slow on the Galleon when you are alone, so you are much slower at nagivating between islands.
Getting attacked/chased by another ship means that you can neither defend or outrun them. Basically, a free kill for anyone capable of adjusting their sails and hitting a cannon ball.

Finally, it is tedious. I really don't understand the point of doing all the work alone, then allowing randoms to take over. Just go on Discord and find the group that communicates and is interested in the same activities as you are.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So right now, Larinna offers free "Stash of Powder and Arms" voyages. These have two chapters, where the first chapter is a few islands digging up humble gifts and gunpowder kegs, but the second chapter sends you to an island to dig up a Chest of Rage and an Ashen Winds Skull. If you run to each of chapter 1's digs and just tap them, removing the X, you get to chapter 2 super quickly and can get that Skull several times in an hour.

By default, the skull is worth 10000 gold if you haven't used it, but with a Grade V Emissary for the Order of Souls, it becomes worth 25000 gold.

Well the coming weekend, 15th to 18th, is a double gold weekend. Ergo, each of these skulls is a whopping 50000 gold during that time if you just get to Grade V OoS first.

I'm sure there are faster ways to make more money in big groups, but as a solo slooper, I know what I'm going to be doing.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started playing this and have two questions:

Is everything you can unlock or buy purely cosmetic? (I would actually kinda like this even though I don't care about cosmetics at all)

Are Tall Tales the only thing that could be called a "story"? All "voyages" are just for optaining gold right?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the 12 deeds of giving event. The stolen things must be the most annoying one of all since you have to specifically steal and sell a Gold Hoarders Chest

So I just started playing this and have two questions:

Is everything you can unlock or buy purely cosmetic? (I would actually kinda like this even though I don't care about cosmetics at all)

Are Tall Tales the only thing that could be called a "story"? All "voyages" are just for optaining gold right?

Yes to both.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks! So did I understand correctly that if I were to, say, do the first Tall Tale "Shroudbreaker" again, it would maybe lead me somewhere different because there multiple variations of that quest or is it the exact same every time?

I really really like what I've played so far but when I finish the nine Tall Tales I could see myself being bored of just doing the same variations of voyages again and again. Does PvP become more of a thing in Adventure Mode at some point?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! So did I understand correctly that if I were to, say, do the first Tall Tale "Shroudbreaker" again, it would maybe lead me somewhere different because there multiple variations of that quest or is it the exact same every time?

I really really like what I've played so far but when I finish the nine Tall Tales I could see myself being bored of just doing the same variations of voyages again and again. Does PvP become more of a thing in Adventure Mode at some point?

Kinda, the tall tales have all the same theme, with the differnce that the riddles and islands that you visit could be different on each play, but generally the final chapter is always the same (with different solutions sometimes, but still the same)

Regarding PvP becoming more of a thing in Adventure mode, not really because you are already playing the PvP mode at its peak. Generally seasoned players don't bother with players like you who have barely any costumization on the ships or are doing tall tales becase the booty isn't worthy and some people don't want to scare away or be jerks with the new players (There are still people who will sink you for the lols, or something by mistake like I have done some times).

If you want to attract players to have more PVP you should join an emissary alliance when you start a session, which are factions that you pick on the outpost islands that would let you raise a flag that you can upgrade if you put on your ship booty than is in the interest of the merchant of your choice, for each level that you raise your flag your treasure would be sold at a higher price with the limit of said flag being level 5. Putting that flag would most of the time attract other players against you because is a clear indicator that you have worthy treasure on your ship (specially at level 5) Now if you want to be in the aggro or want to attract players you can raise an reaper's bones emissary flag that would indicate your location in the map for all the players in the server, but also if your flag reach level 5 you can see all the emissaries in the map. (Yesterday I raised a reapers flag and sank 4 ships)

Now with all this being said, sometimes you can do all this stuff and still don't fight anyone, tons of times I played for 6 hours and found no ships close to me or willing to fight, and sometimes I'm surrounded by ships at the first minutes of starting the session, most of the time you will be doing different voyages depending on what merchant you want to raise to reach pirate legend, and in those travels you will probably find other ships doing their stuff, if there is a fight, would depend on the mood of the crew of both ships.

Most of the voyages are not really that entertaining, but the fun of the game is that you never know what you will find while doing them, because you would probably have a relaxing trip enjoying the sea, or being in constant battles with the CPU enemies or the human enemies, and then comes the factor that you never know the level of the enemy that you are facing since as far as I know there is no skill based matchmaking in the game (Even after 200-300 hours, I still find people who are barely starting just like there are people who are probably much better than me)

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I took a long break from this game. my friends and I joined an adventure server yesterday.

To say the server was aggressive would be an understatement! We didnt even set sail on our maiden voyage before we were attacked and our ship destroyed.

We are going back on tonight. Hopefully we are able to cash in some items because it was nearly impossible yesterday.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Its literally the same as solo slooping just with a bigger boat. Hardly a herculean task

Theres three masts on that mother fucker! The anchor takes 10 years to crank solo! You can't see shit from the helm, and the ship handles like an overloaded cart from costco with a misaligned wheel!

That's already like 3 or 4 labors of Hercules at least

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah solo slooping is already a hard task, using the galleon is not only a herculean task, is also not worthy because you are losing all the advantages that the galleon has with a full crew while getting all the disadvantages that you have even with a full crew.

By the way, when we started playing yesterday, a brig tried to attack us instantly, it was funny because we saw them when they were literally next to us, but they didnt know how to engage at all, so we escaped since we dont feel like fighting, they followed us, we invaded them and they insulted us because they never thought that you could board an enemy ship, we saw that they didnt have any treasure so we told them that we will let them live and left. They returned 10 minutes later and we sank them

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Is it down for anyone else? Getting "The services are temporarily unavailable. Please try again. (Strawberrybeard)"

I skipped class for playing it come on now I feel even worse about it.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Is it down for anyone else? Getting "The services are temporarily unavailable. Please try again. (Strawberrybeard)"

I skipped class for playing it come on now I feel even worse about it.
Yep, same here. Apparently some issue on their server (see https://www.seaofthieves.com/status ). Strawberrybeard may mean a version mismatch (i.e. need to update the game), but there's no update..

Makes me wonder if they're preparing for the next big update, had some Charcoalbeard errors yesterday. Hope servers will be up again soon!

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
That site says everything is running fine for me. I'm in Germany btw. A friend on Windows had the same issue at first but then got in. Still trying over here.
Oh you're right, it just changed. Probably means the servers are up again :)

Edit: Nevermind, still can't join. Pretty sure it will be resolved shortly.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just posted in the Discord:

After investigating a recent issue of rewards not being received, we have found some data to be sadly unrecoverable. We apologise to those of you who were affected and will be compensating all players who launched Sea of Thieves over the New Year period.

Unfortunately, the loss of data means that any progress made in Tall Tales, Daily Deeds, Events or Commendations cannot be compensated. However, players who launched Sea of Thieves between December 28th and January 8th will receive 100k gold and 250 Doubloons.

Compensation will be rolled out directly to player accounts, although it may not appear immediately so please allow up to 72 hours before raising a ticket at our Support site. Thank you for your understanding in this.

We'll be providing a more in-depth look at what happened in the near future. In the meantime, we will begin compensation roll-out today.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
in case anyone hasn't seen the latest, another Gold & Glory weekend on right now.

Double gold and rep.

Ends on Sunday night. Get sailing!

Big tip if you need gold/order of souls... do the event ashen powder keg voyages or whatever they're called. The Ashen Skull you're guaranteed on the last island would normally get you 10,000 so will get you 20,000 right now. Obviously multiplied if you run an emissary.

The rest of the digs are all useless trash (gunpowder kegs and gifts) so you can literally fire off at islands and just tap them and keep moving. Mega short voyage.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Playing as a solo player while waiting for my friend to log on...

Having 2 NPC galleons spawn on me and instantly start firing special cannonballs was certainly something. 1 hour of progression totally lost.

Its put me off playing the game now, by the time my friend logged on i told him i was no longer in the mood for sea of thieves.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Playing as a solo player while waiting for my friend to log on...

Having 2 NPC galleons spawn on me and instantly start firing special cannonballs was certainly something. 1 hour of progression totally lost.

Its put me off playing the game now, by the time my friend logged on i told him i was no longer in the mood for sea of thieves.

That sucks mate.

You sailed into a skeleton ships world event. That's an impossible task solo. You can spot them by the ship shaped cloud in the sky. It's sometimes easy to miss when you're super close but if they spawn on you unexpectedly you can just try to leave the area. They won't chase you beyond the boundaries of the event.

Outside of that event you'll only ever get one NPC ship spawn on you at a time and it'll only be a skeleton sloop if you're running a sloop.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
in case anyone hasn't seen the latest, another Gold & Glory weekend on right now.

Double gold and rep.

Ends on Sunday night. Get sailing!

Big tip if you need gold/order of souls... do the event ashen powder keg voyages or whatever they're called. The Ashen Skull you're guaranteed on the last island would normally get you 10,000 so will get you 20,000 right now. Obviously multiplied if you run an emissary.

The rest of the digs are all useless trash (gunpowder kegs and gifts) so you can literally fire off at islands and just tap them and keep moving. Mega short voyage.
Btw I tried the legendary version of this quest to see what it's like, and it's absolutely useless.

- The maps are all in Devil's Roar, meaning longer travel times & volcanoes slowing you down
- Nothing you find on your way will increase your emissary level (assuming you're rolling with Legendary emissary)
- It still has the same useless trash as items on the islands
- Your "special" rewards are two Legendary gunpowder barrels (apart from the Ashen Skull) - and guess what, since it's the Devil's Roar, they might insta-explode while digging up due to random geysir eruption, which happened to me.

What a waste of time.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
That sucks mate.

You sailed into a skeleton ships world event. That's an impossible task solo. You can spot them by the ship shaped cloud in the sky. It's sometimes easy to miss when you're super close but if they spawn on you unexpectedly you can just try to leave the area. They won't chase you beyond the boundaries of the event.

Outside of that event you'll only ever get one NPC ship spawn on you at a time and it'll only be a skeleton sloop if you're running a sloop.

Ah, ive been a way for a while so im not entirely clued up on the clouds

Looks like im going to have to do some research, because the game does a terrible job of explaining the new stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
- Your "special" rewards are two Legendary gunpowder barrels (apart from the Ashen Skull) - and guess what, since it's the Devil's Roar, they might insta-explode while digging up due to random geysir eruption, which happened to me.

Nice meme :) You got trolled by Rare.

The entire Ashes region needs a rebalance. It is only worth doing if you are after Merchant XP. Ashen treasures are barely more valuable, but Ashen Transport voyages are twice as valuable.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My friends and I rarely go into the Devil's Roar, basically only if there's a Tall Tale there or an event that needs doing Volcanos are far far too frequent, geysers are rubbish, it's just not worth it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I rarely go into the Devil's Roar, basically only if there's a Tall Tale there or an event that needs doing Volcanos are far far too frequent, geysers are rubbish, it's just not worth it.

as a solo sloop, it can be nice to get order of souls voyages done at least. also, you tend to be left alone from other players over there.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Btw I tried the legendary version of this quest to see what it's like, and it's absolutely useless.

- The maps are all in Devil's Roar, meaning longer travel times & volcanoes slowing you down
- Nothing you find on your way will increase your emissary level (assuming you're rolling with Legendary emissary)
- It still has the same useless trash as items on the islands

What a waste of time.

No way buddy. Those Legendary Stronghold Kegs are so rare. Those voyages are an insanely quick way to get 2/3 of them (I got 4 of them in a voyage last night).

A million times better than doing a whole Thieves Haven run and maybe getting one of them.

They're super hard - you need to be super careful. But I've been doing tons of them with my crew. 50 Legendary Kegs wasn't happening any other way and you get incredible Ghost ship parts for those commendations.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Well hot diggity damn, gues I'll have to adjust my compass, then :)

PS: Finally got the $ for the First Crew figurehead, yay!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure there are faster ways to make more money in big groups, but as a solo slooper, I know what I'm going to be doing.

I recently slowly got back in after only playing a tiny bit between Launch and now (still only like Level 20-30 in each of the big Three Guilds) and I have some relaxing times Solo Slooping.

I been doing a small Voyage or two a day while I wait for whatever the Plunder Pass is.

But I'd like to know how you have felt Solo Slooping if you been doing it a while.

How fun is it for you?

What do you get up to?

Do you feel like you miss out on a lot of the game compared to playing with a group with friends/strangers?

EDIT: Just did a 4 hour adventure.

Got to Grade 5 of Emissary after:

- Ship almost blown up by Volcano.
- Chased by a ship TWICE.
- Faced Skeleton Sloop...they took down my mast lulz.
- Trapped on an Island in a Storm for 20 minutes, where I dug up a chest, emptied boat, dug up chest and repeat.

Then accepted by Gold Holder Emissary Quest for the 4 Maps with 5 Captain Chests each.

Chickened out and cashed the first 5 in...then hauled the last 15 at once! Tense moment where I didn't know if anyone would spot me.

Luckily no-one did and I'm like double the amount of points needed for the Top Gold Hoarder Emissary Reward.

Hopefully I can stay there, especially if there are no more Double Exp Weekends this month or people might catch up!

Last edited:

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've had an incredible amount of fun the last couple of days playing this with a couple of friends. We started out just exploring shit and doing the normal missions for one of the three alliances (gold hoarders, order of souls, merchant alliance). We also managed to do Fort Of The Damned and me and a friend have done two of the Tall Tales.

Tonight however we got extremely frustrated with the game because it just completely fails to tell you what content is available. There are apparently "campaigns" which aren't part of the Tall Tales? And also limited time quests? We are completely lost. Can anyone lead me somewhere where all of this is explained? Would really appreciate it.

Like there will be NPCs on some islands just saying cryptic shit and just dropping random names. I assume they are part of some quest lines, but how do I actually start any of those?

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There are apparently "campaigns" which aren't part of the Tall Tales? And also limited time quests? We are completely lost. Can anyone lead me somewhere where all of this is explained? Would really appreciate it.

Like there will be NPCs on some islands just saying cryptic shit and just dropping random names. I assume they are part of some quest lines, but how do I actually start any of those?

There's an Events page in-game when if you want to see if any special things are going on right now, it's also mirrored here.

As for campaigns, not sure what you mean, only Tall Tales are campaigns. NPCs are used for those, various voyages, or just flavour and lore.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I have a question that is more about the Xbox but related to this game, because I am really confused!

Every game with the XS game that I have stored USB, has to transfer to play, but SoT works off the USB?!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I have a question that is more about the Xbox but related to this game, because I am really confused!

Every game with the XS game that I have stored USB, has to transfer to play, but SoT works off the USB?!

Sea of Thieves uses the older Durango SDK and those run from USB, games that have to be installed to the Series internal storage use the Scarlett SDK.

You can see which one a game uses by inspecting the file info.