dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'd like to play this but everytime I fire it up and try to join a crew it's just me so I move on to another game. It's a shame because this looks really good.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have access to Insiders, check out today's big news on the Insider forum. Huge change to the way Sea of Thieves will play moving forward.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What if I don't, but I am curious
See if this helps.

It depends on the implementation but (I don't think this is against NDA) I think this update will finally address the biggest pain point I've had with the game since launch. The fact that it feels like you can't get anything meaningful done in the game unless you have like a 3-4 hour window to play. I often want to log on but if I only have an hour or 2 to kill it doesn't seem worth it. Worst, is when you complete a voyage, something comes up and you have to log off in 5 minutes, and you still have to sail to an outpost and sell everything or else you get nothing. And then you get krakened or another player ship is there or chasing you etc etc. A way to progress toward something in shorter spurts is great.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

See if this helps.

It depends on the implementation but (I don't think this is against NDA) I think this update will finally address the biggest pain point I've had with the game since launch. The fact that it feels like you can't get anything meaningful done in the game unless you have like a 3-4 hour window to play. I often want to log on but if I only have an hour or 2 to kill it doesn't seem worth it. Worst, is when you complete a voyage, something comes up and you have to log off in 5 minutes, and you still have to sail to an outpost and sell everything or else you get nothing. And then you get krakened or another player ship is there or chasing you etc etc. A way to progress toward something in shorter spurts is great.
Shit, this speaks to me. I really hope whatever this is gets announced to us soon, especially if it's a fundamental change to how you can play the game and isn't just a tacked-on activity.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, this speaks to me. I really hope whatever this is gets announced to us soon, especially if it's a fundamental change to how you can play the game and isn't just a tacked-on activity.
It will not be a "fundamental change to how you play the game". Expect new activities that piggyback on existing mechanics, new cosmetics/titles/achievements, and more weekend/timed XP boosts. Bundle those together and call it an event

I don't mean that in a pessimistic or negative way; the gradual content drip has made the game significantly better than 2 years ago. But realistic expectations say that "progression in shorter bursts" means more progress bars behind the scenes like we've seen with these events. Maybe a "dig up 100 chests" commendation that unlocks a hat and gives you some faction XP. Or "sink 10 ghosts ships during the week" that awards you with a faction level. "Visit 10 islands" and get some doubloons. A counter that ticks without needing to turn in loot. Whatever it is will *not* be a new way to play the game

But I could be wrong. I'm not an insider, I'm just a long time player that has grown accustomed to translating Rare speak. That's just the direction the game has moved, and when I hear the word "progression" that's what it tends to mean. Big "Live Events" that add a bunch of progress bars behind pages and pages of menus and artificially walled off achievements locked behind time barriers to make an event seem "LIVE!" and engaging by forcing people to spread out when they play in order to unlock everything. Either they're adding a new faction for daily achievements, or they're making daily/weekly achievements award faction rep. Rare has always wanted SoT to be a GaaS, and a new faction that you level with daily achievements could be their equivalent of a season pass to keep people playing regularly, including short sessions to tick a box. But regardless it will be the same gameplay mechanics with some cosmetics and titles to unlock by playing the exact same way you currently play

Last edited:

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys thanks to series x and game pass I am finally getting into this now. I played on release and did mainly solo, but there is so much new stuff I am wondering where is the best place to start.

Firstly Pets etc, are these only purchasable using real money?

Second, what is the best way to play solo, just doing gold hoarder quests etc?

I do plan on finding a crew eventually and try some of the amazing pirate adventures etc

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys thanks to series x and game pass I am finally getting into this now. I played on release and did mainly solo, but there is so much new stuff I am wondering where is the best place to start.

Firstly Pets etc, are these only purchasable using real money?

Second, what is the best way to play solo, just doing gold hoarder quests etc?

I do plan on finding a crew eventually and try some of the amazing pirate adventures etc

I joined Randoms yesterday and had a BLAST! A lot has changed in the 2 years since I last touched it!

Was a Magic Compass Quest where we had to follow the compass.

Got piece of map from one island and I could figure out the Island, then got another piece from another island with the X on.

Then when we got to the Island where the chest was...we got bombarded and died. Then their ship got attacked by us and then a Shark came and sunk their ship Lulz.

So we took some of their treasure and then sold it at the Outpost lol.

I was steering most of the time.

Oh yeah! Skeleton Ship also came up beside us. We took that down too.

Fun times!

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a live event or whatever happening this week where you're supposed to do some stuff while in an alliance?

Yeah I think there areswith the festival of damned event. My usual crew is very anti alliance tho. These were only my 2nd and 3rd alliances ever, and I'm already pirate legend. Worked out pretty well, last night in particular, with some extra help taking the Fort od the Damned, which was the last bit of non tall tale I had yet to engage in... aside from when i stole it from another crew randomly one time. But this time we did the whole thing, gathered up the flames and ritual skull and everything

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this game a crash-fest for anyone else here?

I started playing a couple of days ago with my son.
This is on PC, Windows 10, everything up to date (win 10 20H2, latest Nvidia drivers).

The game hard crashes every 30 minutes for both of us.
Usually one crashes, and a couple of minutes afterwards, the other one crashes too.

I've looked around everywhere and found one post on the official forum but it was no help at all: both of our PCs clear literally every single point brought up.

The last one thing I can think of is that both our PCs have Japanese Windows installs.
I switched the displaying language from Japanese to English on both and that somewhat helped alleviate the issue, in that before, we had hard crashes every 10 to 15 minutes - vs being able to play for 30 minutes uninterrupted now.

Has anyone faced anything similar?

The crashes can occur at any time, whether on land or at sea, under attack or about to dock.

Edit: after quite a bit of further research, the issue appears to be related to Family game sharing.
In the initial configuration, I was using my PC (which is my work PC) on which I have a different account for games (same name, different gamer tag).
My son was using his own account which is registered as family member. We are both living under the same roof since he is 12 years old.

While he was at school I played the game for an hour alone on my computer: not a single crash.
This seemed fishy, so I decided to dig deeper. This led me to discover multiple reports from 2018 about "the game hard crashing when family sharing", describing very similar issues with different solutions and a wide range of results.

Long story short, I ended up buying another copy of the game for my son's account. Lo and behold, this evening, we played together for over an hour without a crash.
I also resorted to using my work account (the one on which all the purchases are centralized) - although I would really have preferred to avoid that.

Although further testing is required, things might have finally come to a conclusion?
I certainly hope so. I decided to post this message because other people are bound to encounter the same issue, so at least if they look it up, they might find this one message confirming the issue is still present in November 2020.

However, I really can't understand what went through Rare's heads with this. Game sharing for people under the same roof has been a thing in every single Microsoft Store release for as long as I remember. It works flawlessly with every game but Sea of Thieves, and it is a huge incentive to buy games on the Microsoft Store for people who have children. It is also a very good way to secure us into the XBox ecosystem as well, which is probably the reason why this sharing function even exists in the first place.
And hey, we're an entire family in Japan, using Xbox controllers, having Xbox accounts, and even, well, being familiar with the Xbox brand to begin with. Not to be harsh, but... Xbox Japan probably needs us more than we need them?
Joking (?) aside, I've played countless hours of Minecraft with both my children, following directions which are plainly stated on Microsoft's own website. We've played co-op Gears of War, Halo. Several other games too.
Sea of Thieves is the only one to ever cause such a cluster of problems. It seems absurd.

Hopefully, at least, paying the additional 30 dollars for my son's account will completely make the issue vanish once and for all.
All in all, if they don't support game sharing, they should at least state it in big, plain letters.
Every single other game on the store does, so people are naturally going to assume SoT also does. How are we supposed to know we need to scour the Internet for 2 years old messages in hope of finding a solution?
I wasted an entire afternoon on this crap, an afternoon that ended up costing me way more than 30 USD, as I work freelance.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else struggling to find people willing to go into an alliance for these last soulflame events?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else struggling to find people willing to go into an alliance for these last soulflame events?
I never have any problem with alliance challenges (in fact I finally focused on the lanterns one today & got it after about an hour of looking for a decent boat to ask) heres my methodology:
1)Be in a sloop & only engage other sloops. Its easier to convince 1-2 people instead of 3-4, theres less risk if sloops turn on you, sloop players are more amiable to alliances in general, and its easier to escape should you catch the attention of larger ships
2)Keep the cosmetics either colorful or lowkey (even plain!), if you look aggressive people just subconsciously respond to that
2) Avoid a boat decked out in all black (shark hunter set, hunter set, black sails) or the ghost set because they're 9 times out of 10 just out to pvp even if theyre not flying reapers
3) Avoid reaper emissaries & reaper flags for the same reason. Avoid emissaries that are high grades because they'll be antsy about losing their flag if you approach
4) Avoid approaching the sloop's broadside if possible, & avoid having your broadside in a position to fire. Its easier to believe you're friendly if you're not in a position to easily engage
5) keep an eye out for plain boats with all lanterns on perfectly parked at outposts, they've probably just spawned in and theres a higher chance of them being friendly because they've got nothing going on yet
6) Its trickier to ask people solo because you have to handle everything, but if you have a buddy who can drive i've had the best results hopping off, grabbing onto the other boat's ladder & asking from there because its harder for them to insta-kill you while you try to ask if they're down. if they're not, drop off and move on!
7) i've found if you're extremely casual it disarms people. I use text chat because you can never tell who is in a party/discord call & who can hear gamechat. A lil "ayo whats up" or "howdy" goes a long way for me. granted this kind of relies on actually being charming lol. this extends thru the whole interaction, if they decline or still just try to wordlessly fight, just take it on the chin & keep it moving.
8) be ready to cut your losses on a server, if you've seen 3 boats & they all kind of suck its probably better to swap than to keep sailing around the world
9) pop down a voyage for miles if you still need those in a company so you're still getting something done even if the first few interactions are a wash

it looks a lot more complicated written out than it is in practice lol, its basically just being a conman!! Look for a decent mark, avoid wasting time on obvious dead ends, be charming. If you've got a buddy with you, instead of asking about the event challenge you can ask to just have the sloop itself (being invited on by the other pirate & they leave once you show up) & then cut out having to sell someone on a challenge they might not understand/want to do. This works best with those boats that just got started at an outpost because theyve got nothing to lose

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I never have any problem with alliance challenges (in fact I finally focused on the lanterns one today & got it after about an hour of looking for a decent boat to ask) heres my methodology:
1)Be in a sloop & only engage other sloops. Its easier to convince 1-2 people instead of 3-4, theres less risk if sloops turn on you, sloop players are more amiable to alliances in general, and its easier to escape should you catch the attention of larger ships
2)Keep the cosmetics either colorful or lowkey (even plain!), if you look aggressive people just subconsciously respond to that
2) Avoid a boat decked out in all black (shark hunter set, hunter set, black sails) or the ghost set because they're 9 times out of 10 just out to pvp even if theyre not flying reapers
3) Avoid reaper emissaries & reaper flags for the same reason. Avoid emissaries that are high grades because they'll be antsy about losing their flag if you approach
4) Avoid approaching the sloop's broadside if possible, & avoid having your broadside in a position to fire. Its easier to believe you're friendly if you're not in a position to easily engage
5) keep an eye out for plain boats with all lanterns on perfectly parked at outposts, they've probably just spawned in and theres a higher chance of them being friendly because they've got nothing going on yet
6) Its trickier to ask people solo because you have to handle everything, but if you have a buddy who can drive i've had the best results hopping off, grabbing onto the other boat's ladder & asking from there because its harder for them to insta-kill you while you try to ask if they're down. if they're not, drop off and move on!
7) i've found if you're extremely casual it disarms people. I use text chat because you can never tell who is in a party/discord call & who can hear gamechat. A lil "ayo whats up" or "howdy" goes a long way for me. granted this kind of relies on actually being charming lol. this extends thru the whole interaction, if they decline or still just try to wordlessly fight, just take it on the chin & keep it moving.
8) be ready to cut your losses on a server, if you've seen 3 boats & they all kind of suck its probably better to swap than to keep sailing around the world
9) pop down a voyage for miles if you still need those in a company so you're still getting something done even if the first few interactions are a wash

it looks a lot more complicated written out than it is in practice lol, its basically just being a conman!! Look for a decent mark, avoid wasting time on obvious dead ends, be charming. If you've got a buddy with you, instead of asking about the event challenge you can ask to just have the sloop itself (being invited on by the other pirate & they leave once you show up) & then cut out having to sell someone on a challenge they might not understand/want to do. This works best with those boats that just got started at an outpost because theyve got nothing to lose
All good tips! Thanks.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I just randomly started play SoT again after a year or so, and now I'm fully sucked back in. I mostly solo sloop and seeing grenades makes me happy to do the killing skelly missions again.

I do wish I could get a crew going, but so far been getting less then stellar results with random matchmaking and SFGs.

I'm still having fun, I forgot how the game can be and how it has its ways of keeping you plating. Hey look a shipwreck, hey look messages in bottles, hey look red skellies that drop riddles for the island you're already on, hey look at all the flowing things on the horizon, hey look a giant shark to kill. It never ends! :D

Also I have these next two weeks off work so SOT is now my new job.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

New SoT News
-Gilded voyages return next week in addition to a 12 Deeds of Christmas event
-New Merchant voyage type in Janurary where you have to track down a sunken ship that was supposed deliver cargo
-New progression system in January with Seasons. Completing trials (probably event-like objectives) earns you renown to level you up through the plunder pass which has both a free and paid tier. Seasons last 3 months and each is supposed to start with a big content drop. In between will be events, qol patches, and emporium updates
-Only 3% of the player base play arena & its now in maintenance mode instead of seeing further big updates

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I see why so few folks play Arena. I resisted for a long time before I tried it. But it's pretty fun in short bursts and a great way to play a little SoT when you don't have a tone of time. I'm glad they are at least keeping it around. I hope some day they at least patch in the ability to do a private match of arena though. Would love to get a group of extended friends together and do like a arena virtual lan party sorta thing.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
So I unlocked the crew outfits for the event, but I'm not finding them in my outfit chest
What's the deal?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's insane that nearly 50% of the video is showing off new paid cosmetics. And another 25% extolling gold boosts... for gold that doesn't buy any of the new cosmetics

It's one of the biggest complains on the forums, whenever stuff gets showed off it's always about the Emporium. They're promising that they're going to trend back away from that a bit in future.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hope you've all linked Twitch.

HBTC-Twitch-Drops-Promo-Frozen-Horizon_Promo-Schedule-Full-scaled.jpg

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that nearly 50% of the video is showing off new paid cosmetics. And another 25% extolling gold boosts... for gold that doesn't buy any of the new cosmetics
It's one of the biggest complains on the forums, whenever stuff gets showed off it's always about the Emporium. They're promising that they're going to trend back away from that a bit in future.
Will likely be less of a big deal when the "plunder pass" comes out

But yes the game needed a store/cosmetic reset for a while. There is no good money sink in the game at the moment.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's halved my gold!

They do need to start offering more things to buy for gold though. A lot of players are absolutely swimming in gold with nothing to spend it on. Can't expect them to just keep chucking real money in. The figurehead is great! More please!

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's halved my gold!

They do need to start offering more things to buy for gold though. A lot of players are absolutely swimming in gold with nothing to spend it on. Can't expect them to just keep chucking real money in. The figurehead is great! More please!
The Twitch drops require at least 7.5 hours of watching to get the full set. And they're better than anything you can buy with 100 hours of actually playing the game and making gold. They've had 3 years to populate the game with outfits and cosmetics. Their priorities are quite clear

I hope the season pass adds a bunch of decent cosmetics. The paid tier will obviously have the good stuff, but at least it ties cosmetics to actual gameplay. For a relatively low price

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finally something that goes with those Creator Crew sails i got and then proceeded to never use

Eo2bULDXEAATntN

did the math and i've dropped 5,359,643 gold between the soulflame costume at the end of the last event and the new figurehead & cannon flares in this update.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally something that goes with those Creator Crew sails i got and then proceeded to never use

Eo2bULDXEAATntN

did the math and i've dropped 5,359,643 gold between the soulflame costume at the end of the last event and the new figurehead & cannon flares in this update.

Good shout! I was trying to think what would go best.

There really isn't enough white cosmetics in the game.