Status
Not open for further replies.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I might be wrong but I read that as in these 2 studios are taking a big chunk of our capital but don't have as much return hence why they are capitalizing the rest of the company by taking resources away.
Yeah, when I read the headline, my first thought was that instead of selling them because they cannibalize the rest, they did so because those studios were hemorrhaging their profits, especially considering the reception Marvel's Avengers got.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds... suspicious.

I am gonna wait before reacting to this because them feeling the games cannibalize their funds is way bigger difference compared to the games cannibalizing their sales.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
SE would blame their former western studios for everything. You wonder who was called first after FF14 had the server issues in the past. CD or Eidos? 😅😂 /s
... Have they seen their own end of quarter without them?!

IMG_0555.png
Eidos cannot get away with this. Double agents/s.

I wonder if it's a bad translation/mistake and they actually meant that the costs ate into sales of the rest of the group and they could increase capital efficiency without them..?
All jokes aside that has to be the explanation

Last edited:

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
It's a very odd statement to parse. I can't really fully understand it either. My only interpretation is if they meant the capital allocation for the CDE games were eating into the content production account of their JP games, because they're always saying those games can't hit the targets they want.

Yeah this is it, or at least what I thought when I read it. The studios they sold are making games that are breaking even or losing money at best and they are 'cannibalising' resources that could be used by a studio that will make games that return a profit.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Outriders i think is published by SE, they dont own the studio, i dont know the IP. But it looks like the studio didnt receive any royalties for it due to poor results.

They own the IP, yeah, it was one of the western IPs they maintained ownership over. There has been disputes with payment to the actual dev, but Square called it a success and said they considered it one of their new franchises not long after launch.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enid still owns Just Cause, Outriders, and Life is strange. They also said during Eidos sale they want new western studios. My guess is they want to co-finance the studios with another party.

www.videogameschronicle.com

A week after selling its Western studios, Square Enix says it will establish or buy new ones | VGC

The company further explained its reasoning behind the studio sales…
Ok, that would have more sense. They could be interested in buying something more aligned with their successful model,FFXIV, like Myhoyo along Tencent or another partner.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
From business perspective, I can't blame them for selling these studios. They weren't making any money despite making great titles.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Square Enix do not seem like a bright bunch of people. Sounds like everyone involved is happy though. SE hated the studios and the studios hated SE. Super duper over-simplification but obviously they weren't willing to try to make things work any longer. It's a better outcome than just shutting the studios down. I feel like that would've happened if this was Sony/EA/MS.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Is this a translation thing?

My interpretation is SE's western studios were costly to run and is not selling that much higher than the cost.

If their costs balloons, they might eat into the revenue from their other studios (or rather getting a net loss which affects the bottom line)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That happened though, didn't it?

They had a really good year with Final Fantasy 7 Remake then had to see Marvel's Avengers losses eat into those profits.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Imagine being SE and you have so many great games coming out at the same time that people can't choose what to buy.

lg45aez0z2571.jpg

(I'm pretty sure they mean turds like Avengers dimish the profits of the more successful games.)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Yeah it seems a translation error, it seems that Eidos was eating the overall profits of the company

Also they cannot tell "The relationship betweem Eidos and Us was Shit"

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Improving capital efficiency" suggests that they want to make better buse of the money they're spending, hence cutting off CD/Eidos, which were costing them like 100 or 200 million per year.

Selling stakes probably mean selling shares to interested parties such as Tencent. I can't remember but does Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund owns a stake in Square Enix?

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Square Enix management is just on a whole different level. They're the galaxy brain overlords that us pea brained gamers need.

Oct 25, 2017
Might sound wild on the surface, but their western portfolio is very much a different flavour to the majority of Square Enix's content.

Hell, this year alone I've bought (And will buy) Triangle Strategy, DioField Chronicle, Tactics Ogre, and Front Mission remaster when it comes out. Not to mention dipping my toes into their other projects, like that Valkyrie game, and the harvesting one.

Their western portfolio was high budget releases that occupy big launch windows, and required big sales. So not only would they compete with other western games, but also any/other games their Japanese division wanted to release. I think doubling down on their Japanese division, as well as going back to their roots of exploring the plethora of good IP's and just higher quality smaller releases is a lot better overall.

Don't get me wrong. I love the shit out of Eidos and Sqenix's western games, but the handling clearly showed it was not their forte, and games missed as much as they landed.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This has still less sense than the capital stuff. Only explanation is SE is smoothly getting their shareholders ready for what is coming, a sale of the full company, that bybthe way must be the publisher with bettee ROI over stock price in the world.
that and they want to see if other buyers of "stakes" bite so whoever wants to buy (I am guessing Sony) has to pay more

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Like others, I'm pretty sure this means something different that the "take" everybody ran with.

It's likely about resources & portfolio management, this sounds about right:
Hell, this year alone I've bought (And will buy) Triangle Strategy, DioField Chronicle, Tactics Ogre, and Front Mission remaster when it comes out. Not to mention dipping my toes into their other projects, like that Valkyrie game, and the harvesting one.

Their western portfolio was high budget releases that occupy big launch windows, and required big sales. So not only would they compete with other western games, but also any/other games their Japanese division wanted to release. I think doubling down on their Japanese division, as well as going back to their roots of exploring the plethora of good IP's and just higher quality smaller releases is a lot better overall.
I've been told that some of the stuff they put out this year had actually been sitting a shelf for years.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sony wouldn't be interested in just buying shares of studios. They'd likely want to own everything outright.

Maybe that is why others are involved/being potential investors like Tencent, Nexon. The idea would work with them who are fine with doing such.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It's a very odd statement to parse. I can't really fully understand it either. My only interpretation is if they meant the capital allocation for the CDE games were eating into the content production account of their JP games, because they're always saying those games can't hit the targets they want.
I think it's a marketing thing. People underestimate the cost and resource associated with marketing. Marketing IS important and does drive sales. And there's only so much money to spread around everything.

There have been pretty good examples of SE not putting enough marketing into titles and that impacting sales (NEO TWEWY for example). Or SE relying entirely on Nintendo to market their games.

So in short they're probably right. They don't have enough resource to market all these big titles, so games marketing budgets are being cannibalised, and that's impacting sales. It's not as simple as too many games.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I just assumed (hoped) that they were just shifting all their focus to every team making new things to clean in Powerwash Simulator.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever reason they did it, I'm just glad they let these studios go. Square Enix completely mismanaged their western division from the jump.

So what's the new excuse going to be when the Embracer published titles all have the same issues?

The "Mismanagement"™ is coming from inside the house.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
From business perspective, I can't blame them for selling these studios. They weren't making any money despite making great titles.

That, to me, is a reason to ice the underperforming IPs they were using - not the studios. Deus Ex or Tomb Raider are underperforming? Okay, put those teams on something else. Especially if the games are being well received.

The big money losers like Avengers that WEREN'T well received, were almost certainly fucked by decisions made above the studio, from executives who had live service and microtransaction dollar signs dancing in their heads.

Square Enix management is just on a whole different level. They're the galaxy brain overlords that us pea brained gamers need.

Yoshida is a treasure they are lucky to have, but the rest of them... holy jumpin shitballs man. And sure enough Yoshida has protected FFXIV from excessive monetization, and shown a lack of enthusiasm for all of the NFT shit.

sponge_cake

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2022
Maybe it was the only way they could off load their overpriced bay area studios, but I still can't get my head around selling the Tomb Raider for less than 300 million. Just find another studio that will make those games cheaper

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony does buy the shares too though. Like their minor stakes in various companies. Not on the scale of Tencent though.
Not as much now though at least in terms of gaming studios. In the past they were fine with it more. I think the most recent one though in the present era is owning stock for Devolver but that was just to get Devolver a nudge for going public.

Also this line just screams want AAA resources and funding. Like other studios before they get acquired.

View: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1555397401648644096

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Not as much now though at least in terms of gaming studios. In the past they were fine with it more. I think the most recent one though in the present era is owning stock for Devolver but that was just to get Devolver a nudge for going public.

Also this line just screams want AAA resources and funding. Like other studios before they get acquired.

View: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1555397401648644096

Read 4 through 6 on that thread. This is about stakes in western studios as opposed to the cost structure they had with Eidos.

As soon as they sold Eidos they immediately announced they want to expand acquisitions of studios in the west

A week after selling its Western studios, Square Enix says it will establish or buy new ones | VGC

It even states some studios would continue to be wholly owned by Square Enix Holdings. You tend not to buy companies while selling your existing company. This is basically square Enix saying it wants to invest in western titles but not own all the investment and risk.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it was the only way they could off load their overpriced bay area studios, but I still can't get my head around selling the Tomb Raider for less than 300 million. Just find another studio that will make those games cheaper
So take a page from EA's playbook? Keep the IP, close the studios.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Read 4 through 6 on that thread. This is about stakes in western studios as opposed to the cost structure they had with Eidos.

As soon as they sold Eidos they immediately announced they want to expand acquisitions of studios in the west

To me it sounds like them talking about giving more money to their Japan studios now that they sold their EU/US/NA studios.

View: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1555397706373140480

They won't have to funnel a ton of said money into AAA Western made games.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
To me it sounds like them talking about giving more money to their Japan studios now that they sold their EU/US/NA studios.

View: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1555397706373140480

They won't have to funnel a ton of said money into AAA Western made games.

That is right because the idea is to set up western studios partially owned by Square Enix so that Square Enix doesn't have to fully fund western titles. They want to keep all or most Japanese studios fully owned and have partially owned western studios and IPs.
If they were selling Square Enix it wouldn't impact US and EU studios the most. It's also the fact that Square Enix has no remaining western studios. So the implication it would affect US/Western studios the most implies buying or creating new western studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.