Status
Not open for further replies.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Were those the exact words or something like a Avengers-like bomb having a impact on their overall profit?

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Square literally releases two titles on the same day and within a week of each other? This does not even take into account how they hug their own games to release very close to third party AAA projects???

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
... Have they seen their own end of quarter without them?!

IMG_0555.png

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong but I read that as in these 2 studios are taking a big chunk of our capital but don't have as much return hence why they are capitalizing the rest of the company by taking resources away.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Better to be the owner of the game doing the cannibalizing then not.

The games are still going to come out and now you have no control of spreading you out.

Tomb Raider could go toe to toe with Final Fantasy now.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a very odd statement to parse. I can't really fully understand it either. My only interpretation is if they meant the capital allocation for the CDE games were eating into the content production account of their JP games, because they're always saying those games can't hit the targets they want.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's a very odd statement to parse. I can't really fully understand it either. My only interpretation is if they meant the capital allocation for the CDE games were eating into the content production account of their JP games, because they're always saying those games can't hit the targets they want.
This is it.

They are saying running CD/Eidos cost too much and didn't generate enough of a return for that to make sense. SE thinks they can make better/more efficient use of that capital elsewhere.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's a bad translation/mistake and they actually meant that the costs ate into sales of the rest of the group and they could increase capital efficiency without them..?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Sounds like an obvious mistranslation and they're talking about costs

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This is it.

They are saying running CD/Eidos cost too much and didn't generate enough of a return for that to make sense. SE thinks they can make better/more efficient use of that capital elsewhere.
This thread should be thread marked before this thread turns into something else

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's a bad translation/mistake and they actually meant that the costs ate into sales of the rest of the group and they could increase capital efficiency without them..?
The thread is outlandish so it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a mistake. Square is planning to sell stakes of its studios despite being entirely debt-free and having 1.4bn in cash

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I might be wrong but I read that as in these 2 studios are taking a big chunk of our capital but don't have as much return hence why they are capitalizing the rest of the company by taking resources away.

This is how I took it

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If I had to guess, the eidos/CD games probably cost way more than their other projects
I also didn't help them that they released Avengers and GOTG back to back. Probably the final nail the coffin after the "underperforming sales" of Tomb Raider.
Making another Tomb Raider and Deus Ex? probably made SE nervous since those 2 would probably take 3 years min to complete.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever reason they did it, I'm just glad they let these studios go. Square Enix completely mismanaged their western division from the jump.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a pivot to justify to their shareholders that they made a mistake trying to get into NFTs.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm missing something here the original tweet (the one the tweet in the OP is quoting) pretty clearly states that SE listed both sales cannibalization and selling to increase capital efficiency as reasons for the sale. Not sure why so many posts in this thread are speculating that it's a mistranslation and they meant the latter when two separate reasonsā€”efficiency includedā€”seem to have been brought up.

totally possible there's a miscommunication somewhere but the original tweet does mention two separate reasons

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What's the source for this statement? Square showed what their profit margins was for those studios the past few years and it wasn't good so I'd imagine that was the main reason...

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The big news is buried very hard here. It's not the CD justification, it's that Square Enix is planning to sell their studios to third parties

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was more interesting where they'd potentially sell part of their subsidaries/studios to 3rd parties (cough cough ahem cough)

View: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1555397793451163648

This has still less sense than the capital stuff. Only explanation is SE is smoothly getting their shareholders ready for what is coming, a sale of the full company, that bybthe way must be the publisher with bettee ROI over stock price in the world.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Is it just tradition at this point to make a thread for every Twitter head-canon about the SE/Eidos sale?

They're cutting the fat so Sony will buy them!
No no, the studios were too expensive to run and the games not successful enough!
No no, the games were TOO successful and cutting in to Final Fantasy's sales because that makes perfect sense!
No no, it's for no reason at all and SE are just incompetent!

The hate boner is real.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, Iā€™m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This has still less sense than the capital stuff. Only explanation is SE is smoothly getting their shareholders ready for what is coming, a sale of the full company, that bybthe way must be the publisher with bettee ROI over stock price in the world.
Nope
Looking to sell more rights of Western titles
Biggest impact is on EU/US studios around large titles, will be able to allocate resources mainly to Japan title

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I think that is what they are actually getting out, but the way in which they said it is poor

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Do they mean literally sales or do they mean them affecting revenue? Because the second one was the case, first one makes no sense and was never mentioned by SE before.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

this has to be what they mean

Status
Not open for further replies.