• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They, likely, can. The Secretary of Education has the ability to cancel debt. Not sure why Biden wants legislation.
The obvious answer to that question is to give a motive to pass broader legislation. Eliminate student debt by EO and you might give the impression that the issue is solved for the moment and nothing more needs to be done.
I assume it's for overall reform, yeah. But legislation can get challenged just as easily as an EO.
? Nah, laws are a lot harder to bring to court than an EO, and they can do more than an EO.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
That would do some serious damage to my graduate debt. However, is there a plan in place for education reform so that we don't end up with 6figures in debt to further our education?

Yeah I imagine it would have to be a package. Forgiving just the debt without taking at least a first step to stop it from recurring would be ripe for criticism.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Should be 50k education credit included. It would give me the chance to go school.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A) Excellent news!
B) No one does half measures like the Democrats.

Should be 50k education credit included. It would give me the chance to go school.

This is such a no-brainer I'm optimistic it will happen at some point. Here's a tip: The Department of Rehabilitation is paying for me to get a Master's degree. This is in California but there may be similar, underutilized government agencies near you that could help.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious answer to that question is to give a motive to pass broader legislation. Eliminate student debt by EO and you might give the impression that the issue is solved for the moment and nothing more needs to be done.

? Nah, laws are a lot harder to bring to court than an EO, and they can do more than an EO.
You can do both. Cancel student debt through executive action and pass an education reform bill.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can do both. Cancel student debt through executive action and pass an education reform bill.
Or you could pack it into an education reform bill, making the actual work on the education reform bill easier to move forward on. Which also makes the whole thing harder to challenge in courts.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've heard this topic brought up a million times, but have never really looked into it. Can someone explain what the implications of cancelling student debt would be? I mean, what happens moving forward? Like, "we'll cancel current student debt, but we'll keep doling out loans for ridiculously exorbitant school costs and look contradictory when we don't do the same thing moving forward". But they can't keep doing it, so the whole system would require reform. Which means that with my extremely limited understanding, this probably won't happen. Not to mention all the flack the government would get for prioritizing well-educated and therefore probably more well-off people overall. This is coming from someone who has grad school debt...just don't know how this would play. Forgive my ignorance.

edit: I should have read more posts in the thread..people talking about the same exact thing lol.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
A) Excellent news!
B) No one does half measures like the Democrats.

This is such a no-brainer I'm optimistic it will happen at some point. Here's a tip: The Department of Rehabilitation is paying for me to get a Master's degree. This is in California but there may be similar, underutilized government agencies near you that could help.
How did you get that?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention all the flack the government would get for prioritizing well-educated and therefore probably more well off people overall.
This is actually what I wonder. Student loan forgiveness seems like a tax break for people who are projected to be well off anyway later on? Why not give a stimulus to others instead? Is there a good argument for this? I've not looked too much into it so there might be something I'm missing.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I sorta get what you're going for, but for the majority of those in student debt 50k would either wipe it off the books entirely, or at the very least, be a very substantial amount that is no longer accruing interest.

It is quite literally the opposite of 'nothing'. It's a hell of a start, but the entire education system and student loan trap needs to be completely overhauled.
I am failing to get why they wrote that. $50K of debt forgiveness would be HUGE for anyone, including those who still hold more than that.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or you could pack it into an education reform bill, making the actual work on the education reform bill easier to move forward on. Which also makes the whole thing harder to challenge in courts.
You have to pass the fucking bill tho which is hard with this senate layout and the filibuster

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Not necessarily. Both are just as easily called unconstitutional and disputed in court. A court can strike a provision of a law and not the entire law.

I do agree that laws can do more than EOs.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm good with this being part of larger legislation that aims to make college more affordable. Yes an EO is possible, but without larger legislation, we will just get back to where we were before.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You have to pass the fucking bill tho which is hard with this senate layout and the filibuster
It's harder to find motivation for passing the fucking bill if the issue has been addressed. Just defer the debt until something is passed, or if that doesn't work out, do it by EO.
Not necessarily. Both are just as easily called unconstitutional and disputed in court. A court can strike a provision of a law and not the entire law.

I do agree that laws can do more than EOs.
It's easier to defend a law in court because Congress has a lot more lattitude on budget issues in the constitution. Laws aren't bullet-proof, but you're more likely to get away with any given law than you are an EO.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its logical why Biden wants Congress to act. If he unilaterally acts there are of course court challenges but the real issue is all his action does is wipe the board clean short term. Forgiveness as part of a larger revamp of the system means meaningful long term change and not just an emptying of the pool while it refills because as soon as debt is wiped it will begin accumulating again rapidly for all new students.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
We only get two reconciliation bills this year so it would have to be included in the second one this year

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
50k is nothing if you still owe more than 50k.

......really? 50k, is like a year or more worth of salary for most americans and your saying this? jesus christ.

I understand others may be mad but that doesn't mean we should make caveats for relief.

I understand it too but i dont want a tide of republicans being voted in cause people cant accept 50k being lifted.
Hell statistically 10k alone would wipe out loans for 1/3 of people and cut loans by half for around 19-20+%

www.forbes.com

Biden Says He Is “Unlikely” To Cancel $50,000 In Student Loan Debt By Executive Order

Biden made his first public comments today in response to an ongoing campaign by progressive Democrats and consumer advocates to convince the President-Elect to enact sweeping student loan forgiveness.

Let alone what 50k would do. Barring the fact that obviously 50k relief is still really substantial for anyone who owes more than 50k, people who owe above that are a relatively small % anyway.

Yes, why im absolutely positive it will not be 50k or require significant restrictions/requirements. hopefully something like 25-30k can be done without a barrier.

Why would they? It'd cost more money and it'd help the economy if they didn't

if you dont think people making 100k+ getting a decent chunk of student debt wiped wont cause a firestorm, i would like to sell you this timeshare. im pretty sure it will be means tested, the best we can do is probably a 100k earning phaseout.

if anything, im hoping they do a wipe of interest accumulation and no interest on all federal loans with maybe a 10-30k wipe that is means tested. that would be fair.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
This is actually what I wonder. Student loan forgiveness seems like a tax break for people who are projected to be well off anyway later on? Why not give a stimulus to others instead? Is there a good argument for this? I've not looked too much into it so there might be something I'm missing.

Because not all people that study and pick up debt actually end of well after finishing studies, or accumulated way too much debt because of graduate studies, and even with well paying jobs they get, it is just not enough to keep up with payments. In addition, you have people who do not receive the PELL grant and have to begin paying from their own pockets since year one, and with tuition prices in the US, debt rapidly begins to accumulate. Aside, some of those may take some years between changing programs and settling on the "right thing" for them or just decide later that university is just not for them. So simply put, because the stereotype that everyone that goes to university ends up fine is true. Each person goes through different circumstances and experiences and they may finish or they may not, they may be able to pay quickly or they may not, and we should not judge and make decisions based on the small minority of students for which everything goes perfectly during and after university.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There's no reason to cancel all federal student loan debt other than appeal to Republicans.

And then there's private loans

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Hope they do it but please throw something towards us private loan holders. I'd take 10k!

I think federal loans cover more now than they used to, but I couldn't have afforded to pay for school without taking out some portion of private loans. FAFSA thought my parents should pay for more but they didn't have the money to do that really. At the end of the day I was about 50/50 I think in federal vs private balances, so about 30k each.

Because of that I ended up consolidating everything into a private loan, since I already had to deal with them and had the ability to improve on the aggregate interest rate. I regret doing that now but never thought we'd get to this point.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
I am failing to get why they wrote that. $50K of debt forgiveness would be HUGE for anyone, including those who still hold more than that.

Absolutely agreed. I don't really understand that viewpoint either, but I could sort of see it from someone who owes an astronomical amount still, without realizing what it does for others.

Idk I've been letting doom / general cynicism posts frustrate me a bit lately, so I'm now trying to see their viewpoint / engage with them instead of writing it off. I was lucky enough to have a relatively small amount of student debt that I eventually paid off, but I know some people from my graduating class who are still paying theirs off nearly 10 years later. Beyond crushing and inescapable for most.

This kind of forgiveness would lead to an incredible economic boom as well, on top of all the other positives. It absolutely needs to happen ASAP, and hopefully an eventual overhaul of the entire system.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
If anything happens at all, it'd just be the 10K, but even that would still be tremendous. I think I still owe like $22K or something but it's all federal.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Owe 9k in loans all federal. I can't even imagine the burden 50k must put on people. I say they should draft a bill to tackle the problem at the root and grand relief. Even if the bill fails it gives Biden political capital to do cancellation via EO.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I paid off my loans right before the student loan forbearance was approved/without knowing it would happen. Now with it delayed to the fall; I could had gone 18 months without paying. Wondering if they will offer any kind of retroactive forgiveness for situations like this. Doubt it, but I feel like they should. I saved up for a while to pay off 12k in one shot, and now I feel pretty dumb doing that.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing but good. No, I do not stand to benefit from this either, having paid off my loans.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid off my loans right before the student loan forbearance was approved/without knowing it would happen. Now with it delayed to the fall; I could had gone 18 months without paying. Wondering if they will offer any kind of retroactive forgiveness for situations like this. Doubt it, but I feel like they should.

Careful, you'll get called greedy by someone hoping they'll have their loans forgiven.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not the right place. But a year ago I consolidated all of my student debt for a bigger monthly payment so I could pay it off quicker, thinking I was doing the responsible thing.

Well now I guess all of that debt is just in some some private loan. And not a 'federal' one where this would apply. I unfortunately think I know the answer; But does anyone here have any thoughts or ideas on how I could make this apply to me? Really bummed me out when I realized... I just want to put that monthly payment back into the economy. C'mon Uncle Sam, be cool.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Schumer is going hard AF. At this rate he's gonna seize the means of production before Bernie does. I hope this push for major student loan relief is successful and he'll get my respect and vote if it happens.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pretty cool, I have about 3K left + more if I'm forgetting a 10 year loan I set up in 2011/2012
I did have about 50K that my dad helped pay off but I'm not complaining, let's get this tackled

I will say this, future students shouldn't expect a bailout because this will never happen again so for next year college students they should be smart and not make the same mistakes we made, but I would assume they won't since everyone wants to go to top schools

SneakyBeans

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I paid off my loans right before the student loan forbearance was approved/without knowing it would happen. Now with it delayed to the fall; I could had gone 18 months without paying. Wondering if they will offer any kind of retroactive forgiveness for situations like this. Doubt it, but I feel like they should. I saved up for a while to pay off 12k in one shot, and now I feel pretty dumb doing that.
Yeah I get you. I struggled to pay in full each semester since I wanted to make sure I didn't get buried by a loan. Now I feel dumb for doing that lol

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am not for canceling the debt unless they also come up with a way to provide affordable education going forward.

I don't see why each state can't have at least one nearly free school.

And I don't like to see private schools raise tuitions to such absurd levels when many of them have so many millions (and sometimes billions in the bank).

I am ok with canceling the debt in general, but I want it to be a permanent solution.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder would this also apply to graduate school loans. Any words on this?

Oct 27, 2017
50k is nothing if you still owe more than 50k.
Bullshit. I accumulated more than $140k in student debt between undergrad and grad school, and that's after factoring in scholarships, grants, and workstudy/assistanceship work. That schooling ended over a decade ago (nearly 20 years since undergrad ended) and I've already paid off $110,000+ of it ($250,000+ when you factor in interest). I'd still be grateful if the last $30k was wiped from my plate.