• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
50k is nothing if you still owe more than 50k.

I sorta get what you're going for, but for the majority of those in student debt 50k would either wipe it off the books entirely, or at the very least, be a very substantial amount that is no longer accruing interest.

It is quite literally the opposite of 'nothing'. It's a hell of a start, but the entire education system and student loan trap needs to be completely overhauled.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
50k....woof.

i really dunno if its gonna be 50k. 30k max. 50k and we rapidly hit a wall of angry people who lose out on a lot of money. (im okay with any amount of debt relief but i know 100% the higher the amount, the likelihood we get a backlash.

if you want 50k, there needs to be some sort of requirement for it.

I understand others may be mad but that doesn't mean we should make caveats for relief.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I sorta get what you're going for, but for the majority of those in student debt 50k would either wipe it off the books entirely, or at the very least, be a very substantial amount that is no longer accruing interest.

It is quite literally the opposite of 'nothing'. It's a hell of a start, but the entire education system and student loan trap needs to be completely overhauled.

Hell statistically 10k alone would wipe out loans for 1/3 of people and cut loans by half for around 19-20+%

www.forbes.com

Biden Says He Is “Unlikely” To Cancel $50,000 In Student Loan Debt By Executive Order

Biden made his first public comments today in response to an ongoing campaign by progressive Democrats and consumer advocates to convince the President-Elect to enact sweeping student loan forgiveness.

Forgiving $10,000 in student loans would eliminate all outstanding student loans for over 16 million people, or a third of all current student loan borrowers. That level of student loan forgiveness would also reduce the balances of another 9.3 million people by half. Ultimately, over 50% of outstanding student loan borrowers could see significant relief with just $10,000 in student debt cancellation.

Let alone what 50k would do. Barring the fact that obviously 50k relief is still really substantial for anyone who owes more than 50k, people who owe above that are a relatively small % anyway.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing many of them have student load debt, or kids in college.

I don't care what their walk of life is, working class people having more money left over after paying bills would be a rising tide that provides them benefits. Even if indirectly.

I think they'll get over it.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of me says I should really apply for the master's I've been putting off now (depending on what exactly this entails, it would cost me around 12-14k and that combined with my remaining debt from my BA would only be around 35k), the other part of me says being completely debt free aside from my car payment would be nice too.
You should start /r/studentloanbets

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I owe nothing, and I'd do anything to support any amount of debt relief. Millennials, gen Z, everyone in the future...we need this.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50k is the pipe dream of pipe dreams. I owe close to 30k in public and private loans but I would be all over a 10k forgiveness.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Hell statistically 10k alone would wipe out loans for 1/3 of people and cut loans by half for around 19-20+%

www.forbes.com

Biden Says He Is “Unlikely” To Cancel $50,000 In Student Loan Debt By Executive Order

Biden made his first public comments today in response to an ongoing campaign by progressive Democrats and consumer advocates to convince the President-Elect to enact sweeping student loan forgiveness.

Let alone what 50k would do. Barring the fact that obviously 50k relief is still really substantial for anyone who owes more than 50k, people who owe above that are a relatively small % anyway.

I would like to point out that more than 10k forgiveness helps minority students more especially Black students.

• Black and African American college graduates owe an average of $25,000 more in student loan debt than White college graduates.
  • Four years after graduation, 48% of Black students owe an average of 12.5% more than they borrowed.
  • Black and African American student borrowers are the most likely to struggle financially due to student loan debt, with 29% making monthly payments of $350 or more.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
If they can actually pass this and we get Biden's free state university(?) going I think I'd probably be a brand new person lol. I wanna go back to school SO bad

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why the Biden executive branch can't just do this with a stroke of a pen themselves? I don't think we have to pass new legislation to cancel student debt

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
50k is nothing if you still owe more than 50k.
Knowing this is a troll. . . But for anyone else who may read this.

Forgiveness of 50K would cover a majority of student loan debtors, but would leave about 25% with higher balances, normally those are individuals in graduate programs, like MBAs, JDs, and medical programs. Usually higher earners.

Furthermore, this would goose almost all state level economies as many economies have 50% of their workforce with student loan debt.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Please give this to me.

That would literally wipe my federal debt and I only have the unsubsidized loan to worry about.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Give it to me bb. My credit score would skyrocket 🚀 (was a dumb kid and put off paying for a while. I'm paying on 'em now ofc)

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I paid off a ton last year and lowered what I owe a lot. I'm down to a little under $6,000. I would love for this to happen and make me debt free.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why the Biden executive branch can't just do this with a stroke of a pen themselves? I don't think we have to pass new legislation to cancel student debt
It's just that they believe it's more likely to be overturned if Biden does it alone and since no one's paying their federal student loans right now anyway they may as well take the longer, safer route.