tumblr_nk4ww6GtRU1trso0io1_400.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_optkazxWWi1vb1iyzo1_540.gif

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
All that and you still couldn't just type the game name.
Of course not. It wouldn't make someone unaware understand the joke anyway. Threads like this are superficial anyhow; even when the name of a game is posted rarely is it ever explained deeply how something makes someone feel the way they do, in this case particularly why a monster is scary. It's mostly just eye candy and bit of back and forth about it.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Of course not. It wouldn't make someone unaware understand the joke anyway. Threads like this are superficial anyhow; even when the name of a game is posted rarely is it ever explained deeply how something makes someone feel the way they do, in this case particularly why a monster is scary. It's mostly just eye candy and bit of back and forth about it.
Wow, man. You still just won't do it.

You'd write a 5-paragraph defense before actually doing it, I bet.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
When you just stomping through a whole dungeon and this fuckin Deathmetal Lord Omega Draugr comes out of his tomb and shouts your ass out faster than mom when you talk back
8M1cj3Q_d.jpg
This is hilarious. And true.

One of the scariest encounters of my life.

That sound is forever burned into my brain. I tense up even watching other people fight them.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I definitely dreaded the basement level in TLOU. Once you fall down to its starting area, you immediately know shit is gonna go down.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Wow, man. You still just won't do it.

You'd write a 5-paragraph defense before actually doing it, I bet.
I could do a lot of things in five paragraphs, but I don't think it would be worth it.

The upgraded Sectoids of XCOM 2 are worthy of this thread, I think. They are creepy, gross, and badass, and will fuck up your day up on day one worse than most things in the game ever will.

xPF8b3w.jpg

9BXUZ3C.jpg

Probably the best visual design of a classic grey extraterrestrial I've seen.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
When the question is related to 'scary in video games,' the answers is always the same: Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3.

undeadinmate-shalebrizmi3i.jpg

Undead Inmates

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Librarians freaked me out in Metro 2033 and I was VERY close to not continue the game because I was so scared.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
From Hollow Knight: Grub Mimic. That first time you think you're freeing yet another cute Grub and suddenly this thing goes berserk and screams its head off.

latest

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's the month of scares and screams, let's talk about scary things in video games.

Like monsters!

Monsters in video games come in all shapes and sizes and usually have some freakush ability that would make us second guess fighting it in the first place. So yeah, let's discuss monsters in video games!!

For me, it's the deathclaws from the Fallout Series. Those bastards are terrifying and can swipe even the heartiest wasteland wanderer down to size in seconds in they are not careful. After them, it's the Cazadors because fuck the crazy ass scientists that thought that fucking abomination of nature should exist!!
Came for the Cazadors. Thanks for making it quick Opie.

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
I don't get as frightened over enemies in games as I used to, but the most recent would have to be Rom The Vacuous Spider of Bloodborne.

I don't usually have problems with spiders, but it's actually Rom's eyes/Eyes of spiders that unsettle me more than anything.

I wouldn't say it's Ommatophobia, but I've always had this uneasiness with any monster design with many dark eyes. It also didn't help that even if you try and strafe around Rom, she'll turn to always try and face you.

Shoutouts to Bloodborne's enemy design all around.

11%2B-%2BRom%2Bthe%2BVacuous%2BSpider.jpg

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
img_8102zrctz.gif

Sinistar is a classic one.

Fine, it looks silly now, but it took pride in making grown players run weeping from the arcades back in the day.

"Run coward! I live!"

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in on it, you're in on it. If you're not, you're not. My post is a half-joke answer from a pretty well known game, and I was careful to choose an image that led me to the correct title in a reverse image search should someone be unaware of it. In addition, Lisa from PT who Voyevoda posted is something of a quickly risen cult icon who doesn't need context.

ltuOgZl.jpg

This is uhhh, something. Just label the fucking posts.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
This is uhhh, something. Just label the fucking posts.

It's from Drakengard (called Drag-On Dragoon in Japan). It's from one of the bad endings. Definitely look up the story details. It's pretty unsettling in terms of plot and themes.

A Youtuber named Clemps did a great analysis on the game's plot and how that series leads into Nier and Nier Automata.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE zombie dogs jumping through the window fucked me up. They still freak me out in bloodborne.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The ecco the dolphin boss is the stuff of nightmares.

I kind of like the banshees in mass effect 3 as well. Not the most unique design but the sound they make always puts you on edge.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
These are wicked awesome.
My mistake. I should've made it clear that I was talking about what Disgraced was referencing in his first sentence.
The Drakenguard GIF was from theofficefan99, actually. I haven't said anything about that game. I suppose that's something you could be in or not on too, but it's a little more obscure than Siege and PT are, so I think that one was actually warranting of a label a little more. I still don't think it's 100% necessary for someone to do that and the pedanticism some of you have here is a little over the top. I used to be kind of annoyed at unlabeled posts in threads like this too, but over the years I've accepted that it's part of the culture and humor in places like these and that it is often redundant in cases like ones here for some of the reasons I've stated. We probably shouldn't carry on this meta discussion though, although I'm happy to maybe continue it in private with anyone who disagrees.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Heaven Smile, from Killer7
  • Invisible when entering a room
  • Player has to "scan" the room to make them visible
  • Walk/run towards you
  • Scream and explode when they get close to you
Yeah, fuck these guys to high heaven

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
The bear in Condemned 2 is more of a conventional baddie, but contextually it scared the bejesus out of me.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
The bear in Condemned 2 is more of a conventional baddie, but contextually it scared the bejesus out of me.
Isn't that what's novel about it? It's just a fucking bear. Bears ain't nothin' to fuck around with, but in media their portrayal is often fuzzy and cuddly. However, that has waned over the years. Still, that's an especially bad, mad, motherfuckin' scary bear C2 has.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why did I click this thread and kept scrolling... yup, no more wearing headphones while playing Nioh for me tonight.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that what's novel about it? It's just a fucking bear. Bears ain't nothin' to fuck around with, but in media their portrayal is often fuzzy and cuddly. However, that has waned over the years. Still, that's an especially bad, mad, motherfuckin' scary bear C2 has.

Good point. Upon reflection, I got what I deserved from the C2 bear due to my paralysed bear rolling shenanigans in Oblivion.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 was something, especially when the game has been released : three month before Half Life 2.
Half Life 2 was obviously a more polished and ambitious game, but D3 has let me scarier memories.
It was made during the explosion of the survival-horror and I think it is a part of the genre's history.

v8q5bc.jpg

469881_20040805_screen004.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get as frightened over enemies in games as I used to, but the most recent would have to be Rom The Vacuous Spider of Bloodborne.

I don't usually have problems with spiders, but it's actually Rom's eyes/Eyes of spiders that unsettle me more than anything.

I wouldn't say it's Ommatophobia, but I've always had this uneasiness with any monster design with many dark eyes. It also didn't help that even if you try and strafe around Rom, she'll turn to always try and face you.

Shoutouts to Bloodborne's enemy design all around.

11%2B-%2BRom%2Bthe%2BVacuous%2BSpider.jpg

Bububut she was cute with all the chibi spiders she called to her help :'(
That other thing full of eyes that makes you go frenzy however is another thing... Brain of Mensis
brainofmensish3i56.png

brainmensis7sd93.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shoutout to the mutants from The Forest

The mutant babies of which some are alive and there are piles of dead ones
800px-242760_screenshots_20160415142506_1.jpg

And Virginia, who appears to be 3 women fused together into some sort of spider woman
800px-Spiderdark.jpg

When I started this game I thought I was just gonna be fending off some ancient group of cannibals, but it turns out the horror goes much further than that.