cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah yeah, I can't be upset at this as the whole world is filled with it. Sorry.
Upset being about it is one thing, blaming Nintendo for it is another thing. Especially when users are fine with similar kind of investments across the whole entertainment industry.

While I can understand its interesting to see how the pick and chose aspects works whenever non US companies are involved.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Really hate the psychopath murderer is interested in buying videogames companies stocks.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how the stock market works too, but we also have to somehow take part of Society no?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Maybe educate yourself a bit better before rushing to the chance of clowning others, otherwise it shows who is the real clown here.

As this post says:

There is already a precedent of this kind of things actually happening, so it's a real possibility to see direct benefits and support to the region and it's people.

Is it a certainty? no, of course not, this is Nintendo we are talking about after all, and no one should take it as a straight confirmation
but does it raise the chance of it actually happening ? yes.
I'm gonna clown on people as much as I want when they make dumb statements like that.

5% in a company is practically nothing in terms of influence, and that is if they even care about supporting the region.
You already did your monologue, so I have nothing to add.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I wouldn't read too much into this. Nintendo is a public company so they accept investments from all kinds of places. Whoever has the capital can buy shares of the company. Acquisitions require a negotiation process and knowing Nintendo, they'll most likely reject any attempt of acquisition.

Last edited:

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo Securities senior analyst Hideki Yasuda said of the Nintendo investment: "Saudi Arabia has been beefing up efforts to create its own content industry, and this series of investments in Japanese game companies is likely a way for them to learn from Japan."

They gearing up for AAA games

www.thenationalnews.com

Neom and MBC team up to establish AAA games development studio in Saudi Arabia

New studio is expected to create significant job opportunities across many directly linked industries, the entities said

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I am absolutely bewildered at how many people are making dramatic comments like this without actually having a single clue of what they're talking about.
If I invest in a Nintendo product tomorrow, am I also lining the pockets of the Saudi regime or not? That's not a matter of 'dramatic comments', but of ethical consumption.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely bewildered at how many people are making dramatic comments like this without actually having a single clue of what they're talking about.
I would hope most are just trolling, there is no way to be this naive about the stock market and public companies as an adult person.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I would hope most are just trolling, there is no way to be this naive about the stock market and public companies as an adult person.

They have to be.

Well, at least none of them are doubling down.

If I invest in a Nintendo product tomorrow, am I also lining the pockets of the Saudi regime or not? That's not a matter of 'dramatic comments', but of ethical consumption.

... Never mind.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you ask this question for every single product you buy? Do you buy gas? Do you buy anything that's delivered by something with gas? Because if so I have some bad news for you.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Most of Nintendos shares are held by large banks and iirc they took measures to prevent hostile takeover some years ago

I don't think anyone can get enough shares without Nintendo's say so. They can only take a position large enough to get board representation

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Do you ask this question for every single product you buy? Do you buy gas? Do you buy anything that's delivered by something with gas? Because if so I have some bad news for you.
For essentials, no. For entertainment purposes, I try to do my research yes. As an example I'm not planning to watch the upcoming World Cup. Surely this cannot be a new concept to people here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Not particularly:

Not sure I agree with the "now your purchases are funding a murderer!" framing, either. Not really that direct a proposition. Your individual purchase is helping Nintendo be successful, sure; it is not raising the value of Nintendo stock, it is not making Nintendo profitable, it is not resulting in Nintendo increasing its dividend yield or whatever. People are talking like some percentage of every video game purchase will go to SA now, but not really how it works. This is more buying a ticket to Universal Studios than it is buying a wand at Wizarding World.

Being a shareholder gives SA a stake in Nintendo's success, but not in the sense that an individual purchase = murderous pockets heavier with the weight of a couple extra bucks.

Also, people keep shifting the goalposts. "I am uncomfortable with this" is a reasonable sentiment. Blaming Nintendo for it is not.

Doesn't this make the PIF Nintendo's 2nd or 3rd largest shareholder?

5th.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
For essentials, no. For entertainment purposes, I try to do my research yes. As an example I'm not planning to watch the upcoming World Cup. Surely this cannot be a new concept to people here.

This is all well and good. But you said more than that originally:

This reflects very poorly on Nintendo, yikes.

This comment made it clear that you do not understand how any of this works.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is....even entertainment is mostly funded by bad people and get made in definitely non-ethical environments, just look at any console manufacturers for example, that fact alone means all gaming is basically impossible to be any part of an ethical consumption.

Oct 27, 2017
I like how you still don't seem to address your completely nonsensical initial post and try and change the subject. The whole point of a public company is that anyone can buy shares in them. You'd have a point if Nintendo was private because they'd be in full control of who they sell shares to

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also, people keep shifting the goalposts. "I am uncomfortable with this" is a reasonable sentiment. Blaming Nintendo for it is not.
Yeah, I don't have any great problem if someone thinks this is worth making an ethical decision to refrain from purchasing Nintendo products. It's your money, I'm not going to tell you what to do with it. You have no obligation to play the next Mario game. There's always a camp on this forum who whines about other people engaging in "boycotts" that no one has asked them to join, and they're all still idiots.

Acting like Nintendo controls who decides to buy stock which are being actively traded on a market is goofy though.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ethical consumption under capitalism.
Wow.

For the record, it is 100% ok to choose to avoid buying Nintendo products after this (or before this).

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has no control over this happening obviously, but it's still not something I am comfortable with. I honestly don't know what can be done to stop them.

Someone needs to make a "Which does ERA understand less? crypto or shares?" thread.
Why? The answer is clearly going to be shares because it doesn't take a financial genius to understand how much of a grift crypto is.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
It's very difficult to be an ethical consumer.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Some absolutely ludicrous takes in here.

As has been stated a ton, Nintendo has nothing to do with this.

The likelihood of Nintendo's supply chain (e.g. minerals mined for chips, plastics polluting the regions they're produced in, etc) having some ethical grey areas is already high, and there are so many investment firms, banks, capital management companies, etc holding Nintendo stock that you've already supported some nonsense in the world if you're supporting Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft or Apple or Samsung or whoever).

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The likelihood of Nintendo's supply chain (e.g. minerals mined for chips, plastics polluting the regions they're produced in, etc) having some ethical grey areas is already high, and there are so many investment firms, banks, capital management companies, etc holding Nintendo stock that you've already supported some nonsense in the world if you're supporting Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft or Apple or Samsung or whoever).
I mean, it's literally stickied.
www.resetera.com

Our gaming hardware is linked to slave labour, concentration camps and genocide. Here's what to do about it.

[Update Q4 2022] Since this thread and petition was started, there have been three significant updates to this situation: 1. Nintendo responded and directly commented on this situation at a shareholder meeting: Source (Q9). Furukawa's comments here deny the findings of the ASPI report...