• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Terrible news. This doesn't have to affect Nintendo's output for me to dislike it.

It already sucks that SNK is owned by that garbage regime :(

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that similar stakes have happened with EA, Acti-Blizz, Take Two, Microsoft, and Sony?

It's money everywhere guys, you've been funding them for ages.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Anyone thinking this will lead to an acquisition of Nintendo needs to cool their jets lol, they have investments in a ton of video game companies. It sucks, but its not going to lead to an SNK scenario

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
There is a lot of fear-mongering and misinformation in this thread. While this isn't great news Nintendo is a publicly-traded company. All an entity needs to own a "piece" of Nintendo is money and desire. That doesn't mean they have any say into Nintendo operationally; they don't. And please don't take this post as approval in any way of SA and the way they've handled themselves on the global stage. I condemn them in the strongest possible terms. However, the PiF is massive and has insane buying power. They're also one of the least transparent wealth funds out there so any time we find out who they're investing in this happens. For some perspective they have stakes in Disney, Meta, Boeing, CitiGroup, Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway, BP, Uber, SoftBank, Capcom, Nexon, EA, Ubisoft, and dozens (if not hundreds) of other companies. They own a football team. They took over SNK. Etc.

Thank you.
Before everything people have been saying, the greatest monster thats ever been is capitalism.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, just like I've been saying in the SNK threads, this sucks. But if you're going to do moral grandstanding over the fact that horrible people profit from what someone is buying, unless you're posting that from a phone you put together yourself from scraps you found in the woods... Bad people profit from everything you do, because that is both what bad people do and sometimes what makes them bad. Welcome to the hypocritical hell hole that is capitalism. Enjoy your stay.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it will translate well in supporting Middle East region with official eShop, Arabic content, Merch etc…

Nintendo is one of the few gaming companies that absolutely do not recognize Arabic speaking gamers nor they made any effort into catering to the region. A long overdue move tbh.

If there's any "good" in this stake purchase then I hope it's what I mentioned above 🤷🏽‍♂️

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Did you know that similar stakes have happened with EA, Acti-Blizz, Take Two, Microsoft, and Sony?

It's money everywhere guys, you've been funding them for ages.
They don't really have stakes in Microsoft or Sony.

But as they had in Activision-Blizzard, they are going to earn a lot of money thanks to the purchase by Microsoft.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it will translate well in supporting Middle East region with official eShop, Arabic content, Merch etc…

Nintendo is one of the few gaming companies that absolutely do not recognize Arabic speaking gamers nor they made any effort into catering to the region. A long overdue move tbh.

If there's any "good" in this stake purchase then I hope it's what I mentioned above 🤷🏽‍♂️

It won't, unfortunately, because that's not the goal with these investments.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
Even though Nintendo doesn't bear any responsibility for this, as you can't decide who can buy your public stock, i hope/wonder if they will come out against this in a public statement.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
It won't, unfortunately, because that's not the goal with these investments.
I disagree, SNK and Toei investment gave birth to a longterm partnership with Saudi universities to offer programs for students to learn game development and animation.

A MENA HQ for Nintendo would be a good start at least although I'm not holding my breath.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As a publicly traded company, Nintendo as has no say in this. It doesn't mean the board are ideologically aligned with Mohammed bin Salman.

It does however mean that a percentage any money you give to Nintendo will be funneled towards an abhorrent regime.

Where people draw the line on this is a personal choice. To be honest, it's not a large enough of a stake to stop me from buying Nintendo games, but I probably won't buy any indies or third-party games on Switch if they can be purchased elsewhere.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As a publicly traded company, Nintendo as has no say in this. It doesn't mean the board are ideologically aligned with Mohammed bin Salman.

It does however mean that a percentage any money you give to Nintendo will be funneled towards an abhorrent regime.

Where people draw the line on this is a personal choice. To be honest, it's not a large enough of a stake to stop me from buying Nintendo games, but I probably won't buy any indies or third-party games on Switch if they can be purchased elsewhere.
If its of your interest, you should also avoid Take Two, Capcom, EA and Activision-Blizzard games (at least until the purchase by Microsoft is complete)

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
From the looks of it they also bought around the same amount of stock in Capcom and Koei Tecmo recently, they seem to just be throwing money at different video game companies while the industry is growing to make some profit, none of these moves are similar to SNK in nature for sure though

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, SNK and Toei investment gave birth to a longterm partnership with Saudi universities to offer programs for students to learn game development and animation.

A MENA HQ for Nintendo would be a good start at least although I'm not holding my breath.

Oh really? My bad I'm out of the loop in that regard, nice to know.

Also, yeah, Nintendo is a lot more pragmatic in that regard.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What the fuck! Hope their worldview and politics won't drip into Nintendo games.
Even stalling the slow progress Nintendo made over the last decade would be bad enough...

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
I recently learned about sportswashing. Is this the video game industry equivalent? Doesn't captain bonesaw own like 96% of SNK now?

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc etc.

I recently learned about sportswashing. Is this the video game industry equivalent? Doesn't captain bonesaw own like 96% of SNK now?

Not really, not even SNK at the moment. Something akin to sportswashing in gaming might come in the future though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Does no one on this forum actually know how shareholder influence actually works???
Of course not.

Something as simple as "TPC is made up of Creatures, Game Freak and Nintendo, but Nintendo has the trademark for Pokémon" has been explained a million times in this forum and yet you always have ignorant posts all the time.

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not.

Something as simple as "TPC is made up of Creatures, Game Freak and Nintendo, but Nintendo has the trademark for Pokémon" has been explained a million times in this forum and yet you always have ignorant posts all the time.
I'm not sure why folks expect every single poster to understand everything that has ever been explained to someone else before. Forums aren't hiveminds. New folks trickle in and out of forum threads constantly.

I appreciate those who bother to explain things even if they've had to explain them to other people before. (0xe0x, thanks!)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure why folks expect every single poster to understand everything that has ever been explained to someone else before. Forums aren't hiveminds. New folks trickle in and out of forum threads constantly.

I appreciate those who bother to explain things even if they've had to explain them to other people before.

That's an idea- We need to have newcomers sign a form stating they have read through every explanation of how the video game industry works and therefore are responsible for their own actions if they talk about stuff they don't know about 🤔

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I appreciate those who bother to explain things even if they've had to explain them to other people before. (0xe0x, thanks!)
There are people who are clearly ignorant of the matter and post style "What does this mean?". There is no problem with those people. Things are explained to these people without any problem.

There are people who take the opportunity to drop their hot take, go off the thread and that's it.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017

Maybe these folks need to read the explanations before dropping their hot take.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Gaming about to turn into European football. Saudi's are going to own have a stake in the biggest players in the game soon.

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
There are people who are clearly ignorant of the matter and post style "What does this mean?". There is no problem with those people. Things are explained to these people without any problem.

There are people who take the opportunity to drop their hot take, go off the thread and that's it.
For sure. I'm not about to defend hot take culture. It just felt like parts of this thread were railing on people who're just ignorant and not asinine about it. My misunderstanding.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If its of your interest, you should also avoid Take Two, Capcom, EA and Activision-Blizzard games (at least until the purchase by Microsoft is complete)

Yeah. Ultimately I still purchase the occasional game from those companies like I still watch the occasional Newcastle match. I won't however support an SNK game due to their majority ownership.

In our capitalistic society, it's difficult to draw a hard line as any number of shitty actors can own either a majority or minority of most things at any given time. It's really about educating individuals and letting their own moral compass guide them from there.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
They don't really have stakes in Microsoft or Sony.

But as they had in Activision-Blizzard, they are going to earn a lot of money thanks to the purchase by Microsoft.

Are they? They started to invest in ActiBlizz at the all-time peak before the stock dropped due to the lawsuit. Estimates show that the average price should have been around $89. If the deal goes through Microsoft will buy shares for $95. Wouldn't call that a big win. They'll also lose all influence - and influence was probably the primary goal with this investment considering that Mohammed bin Salman is a big Call of Duty fan - and would have to invest much more to regain it.