• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine is like this, he buys giant boxes of disposable plastic gloves and uses them to handle meat
That's actually a good way of handling it. Not only to avoid bacteria but also to avoid getting your hands slimy from handling meat.

can you imagine 'hell's kitchen' in 20 years time?

all the meat will probably be handled by smart drones instead of the chef...LMAO.
Or they'd just use gloves. Which you should probably do in a professional kitchen.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, touching raw meat or fish isn't the most pleasant experience. Especially chicken since your hands get all sticky and gross but that's what paper towels first and washing your hands with dishwasher soap second are for. I do recognise that if I can avoid touching chicken directly and can operate it with cooking utensils, I'll fucking do it that way. It's not a germaphobe issue (in fact, I've always been more like the "let's train our immune system" kind of kid growing up), it's just touching raw chicken is fucking gross.

Edit:
A friend of mine is like this, he buys giant boxes of disposable plastic gloves and uses them to handle meat

brb, best idea ever. I'm stupid for not thinking about it earlier.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
So millennials are too scared to touch chicken, some even Dettol the stuff (what!).

Older people however are more likely to wash their meat under the tap here in the UK.

Not only useless but the resulting wet meat then is far more likely to drip everything causing massive risks of cross contamination.

Given the option of not touching meat or spreading germs everywhere at least the millennial idiots won't get salmonella.

My partner can't really "do" touching meat but she's a vegetarian so really has no reason to!

Like what? You think spraying Dettol on meat is less worse than washing meat?

This place continues to amaze me.

OP
OP
lordlad

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
That's actually a good way of handling it. Not only to avoid bacteria but also to avoid getting your hands slimy from handling meat.

Or they'd just use gloves. Which you should probably do in a professional kitchen.

Very few chef actually cut meat with gloves (especially fish).

And good luck telling the sushi chef to do that..

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Who the fuck is keen to handle raw meat?

We're bombarded with messages about how dangerous raw chicken and other meats are due to salmonella, e. coli, etc. Who can be surprised that these safety campaigns make people not want to touch raw meat?

This is just another "lets bag on Millenials" non-story.
Generally just raw meat?

Ground beef has a nice texture and feel when making burgers or meatballs out of it. Same for other types of beef/steak etc.

Raw chicken breast looks like nasty shit in comparison though. (still absolutely no issue for me to handle it)

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> a woman said she had 'sprayed her chicken with Dettol first before cooking it
tenor.gif

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. And here I am living in Eastern Europe, where you go to the market and they've got piles of raw meat sitting on the counter with no refrigeration.

Anyway, I don't really like touching raw meat, just a personal thing, but if I have to, I have to. Some of those people spraying their meat with chemicals is just hilarious.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
A recent report from market research firm Mintel found 37% of millennials – those born after 1980 – said they preferred not to handle raw meat when cooking, compared with 27% of the wider population.

Keyword highlighted in bold.

Personally, I "prefer" not to handle raw meat but do it all the time anyway because it is part of the prep. I just wash my hands after.

Would be more interested in seeing the numbers for non-vegetarians who go out of their way to avoid handling meat rather than those who simply prefer not to.

This is just scapegoating an entire generation of people who were taught not to do something by a generation prior, when in fact the idiot decision makers at Sainsbury's should be blamed for this dumb move.

Also by the way, they already have this in other countries such as Japan, a place where it is common for millennials to eat raw eggs on a daily basis.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, that's completely nuts.

Use Dettol for cleaning surfaces, not your chicken, yikes

I think anyone who thinks it's a good idea to spray their chicken with bleach deserves to eat said chicken sprayed with bleach. It's nature's way of cleaning up the gene pool.

As someone born in 83, it upsets me to be lumped in with these fucking dipshits.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
If they really don't want to touch the chicken, why don't they just use a fork ?

Open the package with a knife (or whatever), stab the chicken breast with a fork (or whatever, but more secure with the fork), transfert the chicken from the package to the pan using the fork and then start cooking. Easy.

You don't need special packages to avoid touching meat. Damn millenials...

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
But what about chopping the chicken up? Whatever will they do!?!?!?

I find it annoying having to wash my hands after touching it but it's hardly a big deal. I would prefer "rip and tip" packaging, because at the moment my beef chunks usually get stuck on the paper at the bottom of the packet so you can't just dump it all in without touching the meat.

Not at all a health/OCD/germs issue for me though; I've got the constitution of a freaking ox and routinely eat meat days past the recommended consume date (to the horror of my housemates).

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the articles makes it seem like this is a manufactured controversy in order for the supermarket to sell a gimmick. 37% "preferring" not to touch raw meat doesn't mean that they're afraid to handle it. A lot of people prefer not to handle raw meat but do it anyway. The "backlash" also seems to mostly be from a couple of people on twitter, and you can find backlash to anything on twitter. This seems textbook "sell a gimmick and blame the millennials because they're so snowflakey" and then get extra attention when people start chortling about how sensitive millennials are. Like how this thread does exactly that.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Millennial here

I love raw meat and handle uncooked food daily

I enjoy doing butchery classes

The kind of people who cannot handle raw meat or think that something that sits out on the counter for ten minutes is ruined are the kind of people who will never survive in the wild after the end comes

I will also add: if you cannot summon the tiny amount of courage it takes to handle uncooked meat in order to cook it, consider becoming a vegetarian. You are the kind of meat eater that actually harms the planet

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I mean, yeah, touching raw meat or fish isn't the most pleasant experience. Especially chicken since your hands get all sticky and gross but that's what paper towels first and washing your hands with dishwasher soap second are for. I do recognise that if I can avoid touching chicken directly and can operate it with cooking utensils, I'll fucking do it that way. It's not a germaphobe issue (in fact, I've always been more like the "let's train our immune system" kind of kid growing up), it's just touching raw chicken is fucking gross.

Edit:

brb, best idea ever. I'm stupid for not thinking about it earlier.

There are gloves that are made for that purpose. Don't buy gloves that have a powder coating, you'll have a bad time.

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
Is this packaging recyclable? I'm shocked at all of you ERAs that use gloves when handling meat! What a waste of resources! Just wash your hands!! At least latex is biodegradable...

My ex bf used to be very squeamish about touching raw meat --- it's like honey, you're worried about some pretty heavily sanitised chicken that you're about to burn (fry/bake) all of the external bacteria off anyway and yet you are quite happy to put your face in between my buttcheeks later?

Oct 31, 2017
Reading the articles makes it seem like this is a manufactured controversy in order for the supermarket to sell a gimmick. 37% "preferring" not to touch raw meat doesn't mean that they're afraid to handle it. A lot of people prefer not to handle raw meat but do it anyway. The "backlash" also seems to mostly be from a couple of people on twitter, and you can find backlash to anything on twitter. This seems textbook "sell a gimmick and blame the millennials because they're so snowflakey" and then get extra attention when people start chortling about how sensitive millennials are. Like how this thread does exactly that.

Ding ding ding!

OP
OP
lordlad

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I have a question for germaphobes.

If they are so afraid of germs, that means they dont do oral sex too? I reckon putting a dick/vagina in your mouth...you know the place where pee squirts out...is infinitely 'dirtier' than eating cooked meat touched by 'hands'

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Like what? You think spraying Dettol on meat is less worse than washing meat?

This place continues to amaze me.
No, lol.

I meant using the rip and pour method to avoid touching meat, not rinsing your chicken in Dettol.

I clarified later in case I was advocating idiocy accidentally!

ascii

Jan 5, 2018

Exactly my thinking.

It's a shame cooking classes have vanished from schools, because this is really basic food hygiene.

Please don't by plastic gloves for this either, you're contributing to plastic waste when it's just as safe to thoroughly wash your hands.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be pretty transparent by now but clearly it's easier to join the chorus of horror over... a market research firm doing what they're paid to do and the client deciding to use this info to develop a new product. It's right there in the last extract the OP included. It's a non-story, virtually an advertisement for Sainsbury until you spice it up with a generous helping of generational woes.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Wat?

I cannot believe there are people out there that cook but at the same time are that squeamish about touching raw meat. That's part of the process. And you know how you avoid e. coli? Wash your damn hands after handling raw meat like you're supposed to.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Truly makes me ashamed to be a Millennial

Personally I drew my line at unshelling shrimp with a fork and spoon, but this?

abhorrent

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Is it really that hard to wash your hands after you handle raw chicken?
I mean, when we do mountain grilling we (have to) wash our hands in a muddy creek because there is no fresh water supply.

also smh at people who use those latex or nitril gloves. Thank god they are banning that stuff at the deli department in most of our supermarkets now.

Mexico ftw!
2Zgivdxl.jpg

lol

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend says it's okay to be wary of the diseases dead meat can carry and spread.

My friend also thinks the tongs and gloves idea is cool and will be using them.

My friend doesn't think it's shameful to not want to touch dead things.

Just saying, for a friend.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that we've had more than a decade of commercials and documentaries telling us that if we don't thoroughly sterilise everything after handling raw chicken, we're going to suffer from e.coli poisoning. You've got a generation that's grown up being told that raw meat will kill them and their family.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I will admit that at the grocery store I don't handle packages of raw meat with my bare hands. I get the bags to put them in, put it around my hand, then pick up the package of meat and bag it at the same time. Mainly because you don't know what kind of stuff is all over the packaging or from others that have handled it in the store. And sometimes there could be a leak, letting the liquid out and thus the bacteria. I know I won't be able to wash my hands and continue shopping, so this is the easiest and most sanitary thing to do.
I cringe anytime I see someone take a pack of freshly packed meat from the butcher and they just casually take it with their bare hands, and the butcher just handed it to them with a hand covered in bacteria from handling the meat.

Now, at home, no problems handling raw meat. Mainly because you have to if you want to cook it. But I always wash my hands when done handling the meat before moving onto anything else so that I don't cross contaminant anything. Then when I am done, I wipe down any surface that the raw meat was on before continuing with anything.
Just years of food safety training coming in there.