• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep thinking that it used to be alive and it bothers me so. I think of the poor chickens I do. Who did this to you chicken. Who devolved you into such a sorry state...

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the millennials to blame for their weird habits and not their boomer parents/media who raised them.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally never heard of this. For me, it was my Mom who freaked out about raw meat - to the point that she was always worried about red meat, which doesn't even have salmonella. I'm way less paranoid than she ever was.

Anyway, grabbing a huge pack of latex gloves is actually super helpful in the kitchen, not just for this but for any time you're working with a lot of ingredients and don't want to wash your hands over and over. Feels necessary for chopping super spicy peppers if you ask me.

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
Disposable kitchen/food service gloves, people. I always wear one on my off hand when cutting up things like meat and garlic.

-Inertia

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? Just buy some food safe gloves if you're afraid of handeling raw meat. I use them when I cook a lot at once

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a meat department manager. I handle raw meat all day err' day.

Chicken and pork still gross me out though, if I get it directly on my hands and skin.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't aimed at OP but rather the general outrage, and I just think, who fucking cares? They're not taking anything away, they're providing another option for those who want to cook something more quickly and less messy. The outrage at "millennials" is so boring these days.

The chicken is marinaded.

Save the environment. I went to an enviromental school, built oven in Gambia planted trees, etc. and this shit makes me boil. Plastic should be reduced not double. People should stop crying about everything. Dont like touching raw food? Dont eat the things you dont like touching if you can and let them be prepared by someone else, but this shit right here is not a solution but a problem in the making. And i am a god Damn millenlial

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not just adverts. Documentaries too. It started with "How Clean Is Your House?", where they'd swab a surface and it would come back from the lab with billions of bacteria and the cleaning women would be screaming at the person "You feed your kids off this surface and it's covered in deadly bacteria, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT!???!?!?!" until they burst into tears. Forget that the surface had been in that state for months/years and nobody had even had a hint of the shits, but now YOUR CHILDREN ARE GOING TO DIE.

You then had Gordon Ramsay going apoplectic in restaurants about raw meat. Applicable in catering because environmental health standards are so high, but passing on the message to people at home that any sort of indiscretion with raw meat is completely unacceptable.

There was even one I saw last year about whether it was worth washing chicken where they used this camera that could pick up bacteria and the kitchen was literally glowing with "potentially deadly bacteria".

Is it any wonder people are scared of this stuff?

I'm not scared because I'm competent in the kitchen and know how to make sure both hands and a surface stay clean.

I think the main fear of cooking raw meat comes from lack of education in schools about cookery and basic life skills.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Someone needs to tell these people that the cooking process is designed to kill bacteria. Just wash your hands after handling meat ffs.

I will say that I dislike handling ground beef with my hands when making burgers and the like. The fat just coats your hands and is hard to wash off.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Does anyone get irritated under the fingernails when handling raw chicken. I can eat chicken just fine but I think it's an irritant to me.

Also, Sci-Foo question (science-food) Fresh chicken meat has a odor to it and we all know that chicken that has turned (bad) has one of the worst odors. Yet there is a day between those points when the chicken doesn't give off an odor, anyone know why? I suspect competing bacteria.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
> a woman said she had 'sprayed her chicken with Dettol first before cooking it
tenor.gif
I have an uncle who used to spray his mouth with Lysol disinfecting spray since he was so afraid of germs. Granted, this was after he went kind of loopy after the multiple strokes, and aneurysms.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't eat much meat at home and I don't mind the handling of raw meat but I always felt like I was not properly sanitizing everything so I never like took meat out of packaging then did anything with it besides put it into a pan or whatever it was being cooked with. Never onto a plate or cutting board or anything.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
In my Home Economics class in middle school (do they still have that these days?) around 23-24 years ago, I remember the girls in my group being kind of squeamish about handling some ground beef we were making something with. I just wanted to eat whatever we were making so I went ahead and did that part.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer to not touch meat. Not because it makes me squeamish but because when cooking I would prefer not to wash my hands every time I have to touch meat.

I would like to state however there are very few instances where I would throw meat directly into the pan without prepping it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would prefer to not touch meat. Not because it makes me squeamish but because when cooking I would prefer not to wash my hands every time I have to touch meat.

You like eating meat tho, right? So then you do what you gotta do like anything else. I don't like getting up at 6am every weekday but I like electricity and indoor plumbing so I do what I gotta...

OP
OP
lordlad

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
User Warned : Off-topic generalisation based on "gender roles".
It's predictable as fuck how much they twist shit to attack the young these days.
you can't deny how 'weak' (psychologically at least) the young seems to be these days though.....like what's up with big grown guys in their 20s shrieking at the sight of a cockroach or a house lizard?

I know gender role is a 'open fluid' concept nowadays but still.......c'mon. They can't handle stress, they can't handle strenuous physical activities. They demand safespace but don't want to create it for themselves. They want to live their life based on what they want to be, not what it is.....such as this 'meat packaging' thing.

(p.s. i am a millennial as well by the article definition)

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I cook meat every night. Fish, pork, beef, chicken it doesn't matter to me. I also love cooking but it can be a pain if you don't organize well.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a millennial who likes to cook and I mean who actually enjoys touching raw meat?

But I can't think of a single thing I cook where I could dump raw meet right into a cooking dish without touching it for some reason.

I like my food to taste good

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm a millenial, and I guess I'm part of the problem.

But I also work in a kitchen, and I use gloves to handle my meat before I cook it.

I just don't like washing my hands a million times while making a dish.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can't deny how 'weak' (psychologically at least) the young seems to be these days though.....like what's up with big grown guys in their 20s shrieking at the sight of a cockroach or a house lizard?

I know gender role is a 'open fluid' concept nowadays but still.......c'mon. They can't handle stress, they can't handle strenuous physical activities. They demand safespace but don't want to create it for themselves. They want to live their life based on what they want to be, not what it is.....such as this 'meat packaging' thing.

I'm 23, see none of the shit you just said. There are dudes of every age scared of shit, it isn't a bad thing. I see far more young people at the gym than old people and the people going to the gym starting younger and younger.

Stress is actually one of the biggest killers in the world these days.

Last edited:

Sickbean

Oct 29, 2017
This is bollocks - supermarkets need to be working to reduce the amounts of all types of packaging.

The amount of plastic that ends up in my bin after a big shop is ridiculous. I've taken to standing at the big bins at the end of the tills in ALDI and trying to throw as much as possible away before I even get home.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
This was my exact reaction.

Also, we need a term for all the people who incidentally fall within the age range of 'millenials' but who don't exhibit, and are frankly baffled by, all this weird behaviour.
You don't need a word for it. If you're a millenial, you're a millenial. Sorry.

You can just say "I ain't like that" and move on. No one is actively lumping you in with the "peculiar" types.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
This was my exact reaction.

Also, we need a term for all the people who incidentally fall within the age range of 'millenials' but who don't exhibit, and are frankly baffled by, all this weird behaviour.

You're called marks for falling into the trap of targeted clickbait and poor research. Don't let us stop your chucking and jiving though. Maybe a boomer will pat you on the head and give you a thumbs up.

I do find it curious how this completely meaningless article can spawn such a "millennials amirite!" yet legitimate research pointing out that millennials are the hardest working generation and most educated is usually thrown to the wayside to make way for whatever garbage metric you marks come up with next to shit on your peers. And if we're lucky, we get to hear a couple of your shitty personal anecdotes.

Oct 26, 2017
You're called marks for falling into the trap of targeted clickbait and poor research. Don't let us stop your chucking and jiving though. Maybe a boomer will pat you on the head and give you a thumbs up.

I do find it curious how this completely meaningless article can spawn such a "millennials amirite!" yet legitimate research pointing out that millennials are the hardest working generation and most educated is usually thrown to the wayside to make way for whatever garbage metric you marks come up with next to shit on your peers. And if we're lucky, we get to hear a couple of your shitty personal anecdotes.

Uh huh. Wow, that really seems to have touched a nerve. All I want is not to be associated with some dimwits who are apprently scared to touch chicken. Chill out.

Edit:

You don't need a word for it. If you're a millenial, you're a millenial. Sorry.

You can just say "I ain't like that" and move on. No one is actively lumping you in with the "peculiar" types.

Well unfortunately whatever the word millenial started out life as, it's now mutated into a pejoritive term for cretins who find "adulting" difficult. So yeah you can't simultaneously say I am one, and also that I'm not being lumped in with these people. Because I am!

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
This is totally me lol. I have to wash my hands twice after handling raw meat.

I'm the same. Mostly because my friend got pretty terrible food poisoning after handling raw chicken and not washing her hands properly and it made me super paranoid.

I won't go as far as Dettol-ing a chicken, but I do spray every surface the chicken even looked at within an inch of its life.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
You wash your hands. You prepare the chicken, then wash your hands again.

I'm constantly washing my hands when I'm preparing food, it' almost like there is a nice convenient sink in the kitchen.

I can already see the stupid price for this.