Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
China needs to be sanctioned to hell and back with Russia. Now is also a test to see EU being strong on this because it can have major effects economically, but it needs to be done, I want to see luxury good bans (as a German, the automobile industry here can eat shit for a while, idgaf), and flight bans to and from China, as a start. then see what China decides. If China continues, begin ramping up sanctios and begin to add clauses with acondition regarding the release of Uyghurs.
Are you comfortable with a global recession and all that entails?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Putin:

giphy.gif

It was the plan in his pact with China. Putin would cause trouble in Europe to divert American attention to give China more space in the pacific. But everything else didn't go as planned. But the troop allocations could have impacts on how US approaches its China strategy, we just don't know yet as everything is fluid and the reinforcements sent are said to be 'temporary' as the article mentioned, but I'm less certaina bout that. I think they will be there to stay.

Oct 27, 2017
The tweet you mentioned comes directly from bloomberg terminal
I don't think people realize what Bloomberg Terminal is, it's completely legit

The Bloomberg Terminal is a computer software system provided by the financial data vendor Bloomberg L.P. that enables professionals in the financial service sector and other industries to access Bloomberg Professional Services through which users can monitor and analyze real-time financial market data and place trades on the electronic trading platform.[1] It was developed by employees working for businessman Michael Bloomberg. The system also provides news, price quotes, and messaging across its proprietary secure network. It is well known among the financial community for its black interface, which has become a recognizable trait of the service.[2] The first version of the terminal was released in December 1982.

Most large financial firms have subscriptions to Bloomberg Professional Services. Many exchanges charge their own additional fees for access to real time price feeds across the terminal. The same applies to various news organizations.

All Bloomberg Terminals are leased in two-year cycles (in the late 1990s and early 2000s, three-year contracts were an option), with leases originally based on how many displays were connected to each terminal (this predated the move to Windows-based application). Most Bloomberg setups have between two and six displays. It is available for an annual fee of $20,000 per user ($24,000 per year for the small number of firms that use only one terminal).[3] As of October 2016, there were 325,000 Bloomberg Terminal subscribers worldwide.[4]

Only reason I know about it is because my wife uses it for work, it's not well known outside of financial services

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
yes if that's what it takes to send a message to China to not fuel a war of aggression in Europe

i'm absolutely done with pacifist bullshit, seeing first hand my lifelong bestfriend that is ukrainian and what her family has had to go through since the invasion

I think being careful about sanctioning China is not just pacifism. You have to be really careful because that could honestly lead to a complete meltdown of western order. Phasing out reliance on China is one thing, but doing it suddenly would be catastrophic to global economy. I'm talking social unrest, rapid rise of extremist political parties across the western world, really severe consequences beyond temporary increase in prices.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but like doesn't Ukraine has any long-range missiles? Couldn't they also attack Russia inside of its borders? with missiles or drones. Some military bases, ammunition warehouses, fuel supplies, things like this.

Or would that gives Russia the chance to play the victim card?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
metro.co.uk

Russia claims its forces have taken full control over Ukraine's Kherson region

They say they are now in full control of the region.

Obviously whatever Russia says can't be trusted, but they claim to have shot down 6 TB2 drones in the last day.

I wouldn't trust anything Russians have to say about TB2's. Week ago they claimed having shot more of them down than Ukraine ever had, and now 6 more?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but like doesn't Ukraine has any long-range missiles? Couldn't they also attack Russia inside of its borders? with missiles or drones. Some military bases, ammunition warehouses, fuel supplies, things like this.

They have some afaik and they have done few strikes into the separist regions, not sure if any have gone as far as into Russia itself.

Nov 27, 2020

They do, and they have. They've struck inside Russia and Belarus. They just don't have many weapons like that in their inventory, so they have to use them sparingly, both to maximize their effectiveness, and to avoid detection by the Russians.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't trust anything Russians have to say about TB2's. Week ago they claimed having shot more of them down than Ukraine ever had, and now 6 more?
With zero pictures of wreckage so far as well. Obviously the TB-2 is using a tactic that is evading ground radars and Russia is too scared to commit air power to try and sweep these drones.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
So would this confirm Russia as outnumbered now by the defending force?

Outnumbered, outgunned and no air superiority which means digging in and shelling civilians is soon their only offensive tactic left. The invasion part itself is pretty much dead. Now it's about maximizing damage for negotiations while also minimizing the amount of soldiers that return home and tell their friends and family the truth of what happened.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017

They did a couple of times, at least in the earlier days of the war, hitting a Russian airbase or airport. However, I assume anti air defenses will be present there, so it may be a waste of missiles as well.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They do, and they have. They've struck inside Russia and Belarus. They just don't have many weapons like that in their inventory, so they have to use them sparingly, both to maximize their effectiveness, and to avoid detection by the Russians.
Ukraine hit 2 airfields and a supply depot in Russia. Ukraine was (presumably) using Tochka-U ballistic launchers, with a range of 150 km

Ukraine has not attacked Belarus yet, as they are unwilling to give Lukashenko a reason for a ground invasion.

Nov 27, 2020
Ukraine hit 2 airfields and a supply depot in Russia. Ukraine was (presumably) using Tochka-U ballistic launchers, with a range of 150 km

Ukraine has not attacked Belarus yet, as they are unwilling to give Lukashenko a reason for a ground invasion.
I was thinking of a supply convoy that I thought was struck in Belarus by drones, but I might be mistaken.

Suur Tõll

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
https://news.err.ee/1608532135/riigikogu-passes-communication-calling-for-no-fly-zone-over-ukraine

Estonia's parliament took a stance yesterday and my country become the first NATO member to officially call for NFZ. Personally I have been on the fence on the NFZ issue because of all the reasons already discussed in this thread. However, after weeks of indiscriminate suffering inflicted upon civilians, I support this gesture, even if it's largely symbolic. May it at least serve to finally resolve the embarrassing back-and-forth on the topic of jets and other more substantial equipment.

Oct 28, 2017
Watching this interview made me think Putin really just fell victim of his own propaganda and circle of yesmen. Especially the part about how for the past 2 years he isolated himself.
The lady is Kira Jarmis, spokesperson of Navalnij.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Related to the Kherson Airport attack, some very low-resolution imagery analysis has been done, and you can't for certain see if there are destroyed helicopters. That said it does look like 30 is very unlikely if the damage was just done by artillery fire. Most likely it was in the range of 3 to 10 helicopters (max and being generous) destroyed or damaged, if they were still parked in the spots they were then night prior:

Most probably is at least four were at least damaged beyond field repair if they were still on the ground as the picture showed (which isn't a guarantee either).

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Russians are back on the door step of Odesa.

They've lost the element of surprise, logistics are awful, the land forces are nowhere near close enough to support, and Odessa has been turned into a fortress with the coast completely mined

Seems like they'd be sending men to die if they tried it

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
They've lost the element of surprise, logistics are awful, the land forces are nowhere near close enough to support, and Odessa has been turned into a fortress with the coast completely mined

Seems like they'd be sending men to die if they tried it
The waters are supposedly mined as well according to a Naval alert message sent by Ukraine (like a NOTAM).

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
From recent comments today, it sounds like Zelenskyy is setting the stage for Ukraine officially abandoning it's goal of joining NATO. It is something which has been all but impossible since 2014 anyway, and is even more unlikely to ever happen now, but this could be part of a deal to get Russian troops to withdraw back to pre-2022 invasion positions.

It seems clear now that Russia will be unable to achieve it's goal of taking over Ukraine and installing a puppet government so Putin may settle for some lesser "victory condition".