Status
Not open for further replies.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I think AMD is going to be competitive this time. Based on how the consoles are specced, I can't see how they wouldn't have something good in the tank.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think AMD is going to be competitive this time. Based on how the consoles are specced, I can't see how they wouldn't have something good in the tank.
In raw hardware performance, I agree.

I think the secret sauce is going to be in (a) if Nvidia can indeed merge DLSS with TSAA so that all games can more or less have DLSS and (b) what AMD's RT solution looks and performs like.

It can't be said enough: DLSS is a game-changer in a way that raw performance increases are not. DLSS' weakness is that it's in very few games at present. Should that expand meaningfully through TAA, every RTX card on the market will be able to do amazing things. AMD can't be flat-footed in this space, and I'm not really confident that a pure software solution will be able to match Nvidia's hardware commitment and diligence on all things DLSS and RT. If their solution is very much in that "alpha" feeling stage, it will be a conspicuous hole in their offerings, whether the raw numbers are similar or not.

zyxwvu4321

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I've been feeling like 3090 = Titan this time around. In which case $1400 would be fine, whatever. Then 3080 and below will be like $50 less than the 20 series equivalent.

But that's just tales from my ass and based on nothing but the weirdness of resurrecting a dead model name and a massive jump in video memory. So it'll probably be 100% wrong.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Xbox supposed to be closer to the 270S or so? And the 3070 around 2080Ti?

But really it also makes sense RDNA2 should be good from the perspective of the 5700 cards being physically being Polaris successors, despite being positioned as Vega successors. As long as RDNA2 improves power consumption they should be in a good place.

But that's really hard to wrap my head around, because I'm so used to AMD disappointing generation after generation. They always seem to come in with higher prices and lower performance than rumors indicate. And not compete above midrange, which is now like $600.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Let's check this one out?

1080Ti launched at $700
2080 which is considerably faster launched at $700
2070 which is slightly slower launched at $500

1080 launched at $600
2060 which is comparable launched at $350

1070 launched at $380
1660Ti launched at $280

1060 launched at $250
1660 which is considerably faster launched at $220

Then we obviously have the 2080Ti which launched at $1000+ but there are no similarly fast card in previous gens to compare it to.
There are Titan X and Titan Xp though both of which were $1200.

Now could you point me to a tier where 20 series was "a straight price increase"?

When you compare the traditional marketing segments (xx60, xx70) it's a straight price increase. When you compare the price-performance ratio the 2000 series is a disappointment.

The GTX 770 launched for $399 in 2013, and the $329 GTX 970 which launched in 2014 offered 43% higher average performance for $70 less. The GTX 1070 came out in 2016 for the same launch price of $329 and offered 47% higher average performance. Then the RTX 2070 came out in 2018 for $499 ($170 more than the GTX 1070 was at launch), yet only offered a 37% average performance increase.

If I bought a GTX 1070 back in 2016 and wanted to upgrade using my historical upgrade budget of ~$329, then I would end up with the $300 RTX 2060 KO which is only 18% faster on average and has 2GB less VRAM. Nvidia may offer cards from $100 to $3000, but at the end of the day I'm getting less upgrade value for the same money.

Maybe Nvidia has hit the wall and can't do any better, maybe the past few generations were outliers where Nvidia really knocked things out of the park. At the end of the day as a customer I don't care about their excuses. If I'm being offered a worse deal than I was getting in the past, then at the very least I'm going to give them shit for it.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
We don't really know that the new consoles won't be blown away by the RTX 3000 cards. We haven't seen hard performance figures of either.
Well, we have enough information to estimate that the Xbox/PS5 GPUs are batting around RTX 2070/2080 levels. APUs generally run around 200-250 Watts (both GPU and CPU portion) that means that AMD has enough power envelope to make a big boi Navi (around 250 Watts+ TDP) to deliver a competitive performance.

For the record I expect the RTX 3090 to be ~40% higher performance compared to the 2080 Ti.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
3090 isnt even an option for a lot of us I assume and that freaking sucks... its too freaking big for Mid ATX & obv mini/ITX cases. My poor Meshify C cant handle that large lad.

Wonder how long we will have to wait for the 3080 Ti to show its face?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
3090 isnt even an option for a lot of us I assume and that freaking sucks... its too freaking big for Mid ATX & obv mini/ITX cases. My poor Meshify C cant handle that large lad.

Wonder how long we will have to wait for the 3080 Ti to show its face?
Do we have an exact measurement for the 3090? The Meshify C claims to support GPUs up to 310mm; I thought it was rumored to be just under that.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I think the secret sauce is going to be in (a) if Nvidia can indeed merge DLSS with TSAA so that all games can more or less have DLSS and (b) what AMD's RT solution looks and performs like.

It can't be said enough: DLSS is a game-changer in a way that raw performance increases are not. DLSS' weakness is that it's in very few games at present. Should that expand meaningfully through TAA, every RTX card on the market will be able to do amazing things. AMD can't be flat-footed in this space, and I'm not really confident that a pure software solution will be able to match Nvidia's hardware commitment and diligence on all things DLSS and RT. If their solution is very much in that "alpha" feeling stage, it will be a conspicuous hole in their offerings, whether the raw numbers are similar or not.

Yep. Without DLSS, AMD would need to be offering at least 25% more raw performance than Nvidia for the same price to be competitive - and that's with the assumption that only maybe half of games going forward use DLSS.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
And remember a 2080 ti was struggling with the game so a 3070 will be too.
I'm sure this was replied to since I quoted it a while ago but Ampere's RT performance is supposed to be much, much better than Turing's. So while the 2080Ti will still have a smallish performance advantage without it, with ray tracing features enabled the 3070 should perform much better.

We'll find out next Tuesday where Ampere's RT performance is.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
If these end up expensive like rumors do we think they'll be instantly sold out or resell prices they high? My hours at work are getting turned up heavy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
These pricing and positioning strategies have all been meticulously planned. Nvidia knows what they have to do to compete. Things said during the presser are going to sound much better than they are in reality. Right now it's more about the prospect of selling overpriced goods because they can, and people are supporting it. As evidenced by so many people saying "I'm buying the $1500 card"; I don't even know what that means. But that attitude is basically giving Nvidia direct permission to gouge you.

I also wonder how many of these people are all talk? That they're subtly drive-by trolling, or lying. Because from hardware surveys we all know what a small % of people are actually 2080 Ti owners.

I definitely don't believe these people are going to keep buying the $1200+ GPU every 1-2 years in perpetuity. Def not if they aren't selling their old models. There's just a lot of new people to the hobby lately.

My cutoff is $1,500, which is an exorbitant amount to drop on a GPU, but if it's for the 3090 and the performance increase is at least 40% over the 2080 Ti without factoring ray tracing, it would be something that could last me five years easily. If I normally spend around $600 every three and a half years anyway it's not that bad of a deal. Not great, but I don't upgrade every two years either.

On the other hand, if the performance just isn't where I want it to be, I'll likely settle for a 3080 since it *seems like the 3080 Ti won't be released until next year so that Nvidia can make those that really want higher than a 3080 in performance now, buy now, and maybe I'll just have to deal with that until Hopper comes along. In any event, a 3080 should be a massive upgrade over the 1080 Ti I've impatiently waiting to upgrade from. It just seems like a waste to me though to drop $800+ on a GPU that still can't do 4K without dropping below 60fps without DLSS. It's fine if you have VRR I suppose, but I don't on my current TV, and I won't be playing a lot of the next-gen games on my monitor.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a bit sad there doesn't seem to be a 3080 TI. Big hole in the Nvidia line up right now between the 3080 and 3090.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a bit sad there doesn't seem to be a 3080 TI. Big hole in the Nvidia line up right now between the 3080 and 3090.
Same. I could get the rumoured 3090, but I don't want to change my whole setup for it. A 3080Ti would have been perfect.

I'll get the 3080 and wait for the Ti variant.

Edit: Maybe I'll just wait it out with the 2080 I have now. It's going to be really hard to wait though.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So how does the pre-order process go with a new lineup of gpus? Are only the FE immediately available to pre-order on the nvidia web store or the partners cards as well in addition on other vendor sites like Amazon etc? How's Nvidia customer service regarding rma?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I need to see cyberpunk benchmarks before getting new GPU. Atm 2080ti offers pretty smooth experience for 90% of the games I play

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I seriously don't get wtf is going on with these Turing resales. It's like we're mining doggy coins again or something. Makes no damn sense a week out from Ampere.
Production halted, and it's out of stock everywhere. People are stuck at home bored as fuck thanks to covid. Combine the two, you get people paying high prices for used cards.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't get wtf is going on with these Turing resales. It's like we're mining doggy coins again or something. Makes no damn sense a week out from Ampere.
I'm particularly curious why their resale value is so high in the US. European prices are kinda where you'd expect them at about 30% value loss compared to new.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
What kind of monitor are you running? 6700k overclocks really well, or at least my old did! With intel not recalling firing on all cylinders recently it may be beneficial to wait to see if they can bounce back and bring the fight to AMD. Especially with AMD coming out with the 4000 series soon. Granted, I don't know as much as a lot people do on the CPU front. The PC builder thread is pretty great if you do decide you want to see about a refresh. Man I love hearing/seeing people getting new PC parts. So cool to see new builds with people excited about it.

No monitor. LG B7. That'll need looking at too at some point crikey lol 6700k has been awesome. To my shame I just let the auto overclock on my board do its thing and I don't give it much thought. I'll definitely hold off for a while on the CPU, no problem at all shoving a new GPU in with what I have (shit I've got a 20 year old mechanical HD in there) it's just that new build buzz that has me wanting to rip my PC apart :D

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
All that metal is on there for good reason, card must run hot as hell.

AIO card if shorter would be thicker or longer, but thinner. I doubt they can scale heatsink's capacity of heat soaking too much down without noticeable negative impact on performance.

Their custom coolers for 2000 -series are a lot bigger than Founders design.

Given trends, my guess is

RIP. My hype is slowly dying. Although I have my eyes on the 3070, so maybe there is still hope.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Buying a used out of warranty 2080 Ti for basically what they cost new...
I get that they're discontinued but is it that hard to live without a ultra high end GPU for 3 weeks or so?
I mean they were doing that just fine but all a sudden decided to throw money out the window?

Even if they believe the $2000 rumors it makes no sense.
"Oh noes the 3090 is gonna cost $2000 so I'd better buy a $1200 used 2080 Ti that's gonna be roughly equivalent in perf to the $500-600 3070"

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe once 3070/3080 is announced these people are gonna try to undo their mistakes and you get some good prices on those 2080Tis

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
lol send out "leaks" of a $2,000 price, get people freaking out at it and then on September 1st announce it as being $1399.99 MSRP and all of a sudden it looks like a bargain.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
going by this and the tweet by the guy who leaked the card, I'm curious as to where the Titan will land, if it exists. also, this might mean good things down the stack
Titan is AI oriented these days. It could be based on GA100 with HBM for example and sit at some $3000. Fully expect people to start complaining about it's price because they won't even know that it has no RT support.
Would be requiring an external display controller though.

When you compare the traditional marketing segments (xx60, xx70)
There are no such "traditional marketing segments". Product names are not an indication of a market segment, only their pricing. If you're thinking that you have to get an x70 because this is what you've bought for the previous 10 years - then it's your problem that you're choosing a name and not the specs/performance.

People don't care if they have the money. What is strange is that someone who got the money doesn't strike me as a person who usually purchase used goods on Ebay. But whatever.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

So hypothetically speaking if this DLSS with TSAA happens would that mean all games would work automatically? Even older ones?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So hypothetically speaking if this DLSS with TSAA happens would that mean all games would work automatically? Even older ones?
Well yes DLSS for all titles with TAA is the seemingly baseless rumor that somebody has planted (and retracted from what I know). Don't expect it and don't be disappointed lol

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Has there been any updates on what power cable you need for these cards? I have a 6 pin and 8 pin for my 2080S, is that sufficient or will I have to change?

RTX 30xx series power cable: "It is recommended to use a power supply rated 850W or higher with this cable"

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
videocardz.com

Seasonic confirms NVIDIA RTX 30 series 12-pin connector - VideoCardz.com

The rumors were true. The next-generation NVIDIA graphics cards are to feature a new 12-pin power connector, Seasonic confirms. NVIDIA 12-pin power connector confirmed? A power supply connector has been unveiled on Bilibili. It’s a dual 8-pin to single 12-pin power cable with a length of 75cm...

2x8 to 12 pin confirmed then.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
People don't care if they have the money. What is strange is that someone who got the money doesn't strike me as a person who usually purchase used goods on Ebay. But whatever.
I have money and I greatly care about it, that's why I still have it, if you throw it away it's gone and it's not coming back, expecially nowadays.
I believe people could have bought a 2070 and waited a whole week if they were so bored, right?
I sold my Zotac 2080ti for €750 (I made a €50 discount as the guy came to my house to pick the card), but the 2080ti(s), even the most expensive ones (like the Strix), are selling for a €800 top, and a very few people want them here (Italy).

That said, I really hope Nvidia delivers an all levels (performance, price, heat), I can't wait for a HDMI 2.1 card, I'm dying for that 4k @ 120hz.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
videocardz.com

Seasonic confirms NVIDIA RTX 30 series 12-pin connector - VideoCardz.com

The rumors were true. The next-generation NVIDIA graphics cards are to feature a new 12-pin power connector, Seasonic confirms. NVIDIA 12-pin power connector confirmed? A power supply connector has been unveiled on Bilibili. It’s a dual 8-pin to single 12-pin power cable with a length of 75cm...
2x8 to 12 pin confirmed then.
I like the "It is recommended to use a power supply rated 850W or higher with this cable" part!
That's what I like about the Samsung 8nm node.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm running my 2080Ti with a 750W PSU.
850W PSU to run the 12 pin adapter is a stumbling stone for me.
I mean, it's doable but increases price by 250€ and exchanging PSUs is annoying.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. So all of those people freaking out about PSUs were actually right? Haha wow

Status
Not open for further replies.