Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Something about the screenshot looks fake to me, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ken is an Echo Fighter.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I fully believe Ken is gonna be in.

However I'm gonna go with Team Fake for now because things look off. And while everyone's comparing it to the Palutena "leak", I'd say the Smash Bros port "leak" with Bowser Jr. is a better comparison point.

All of that said, I'll concede that this is very well done if fake and I'll have no problems eating this L if it's true.

Wait, why do people think Ken will be in this?

Because of all of the Echo Fighter ideas Ken is one of the simplest to implement, on par with Shadow.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
No, this proves me right because this is a completely different shading style and different materials. Smash doesn't have super dark shading with lots of gradients, and I'm not talking about the character casted shadows either. Look at the way Ken's muscles are shaded, it's completely different.
Then we have the skin not being a match material wise at all.

The two main things that throw me off are the pose, which looks too posed to be a taunt, and the noticeably heavier shading on his chest and abs. Other than that, the gi, the face, even the hair texture works.

They were literally the same body with a different head in any of the 2D games.

That makes the fact that his clothes are 100% un torn here kind of odd.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that stuck out to me is the lighting. The shadows on Ken's model are way darker compared to both pokemon and Pac Man.

I think this is another Palutena. It's fake but Ken is totally in this game.
They are different materials. Look at Pac-Man's leathery glove, it's shaded similar to Ken's leathery face (no offence, Ken).

Oct 26, 2017
It's not about what's interesting or boring, it's about what's plausible.
Idk m8. I havent watched too many fake leaker documentraies, but i cant imagine the mindset is "Yea...I wanna be known as the guy who made people believe ken was in smash....when ken was actually in smash, but not revealed yet. LEGENDARY FAKE!". Like seriously, that photo is alot of work for something so pointless

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I'm expecting a surprise twist if it is Ken, just like with the Simon announcement. It won't only be Ken, but Akuma as well.

Also everyone remember how far fans can go with making fakes. Never forget Rayman.

xns8mz7ufog12etububp.gif

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wait I change my mind! It's cleary a fake propogated by Rotobit! You sure seem to be well versed in this 'Mappy Science', maybe a (Roto)bit too familiar...

J'accuse!

Haha I have been defending it quite a bit I'll admit

I just love to get very Sherlock Holmes on leaks like this, and all of the evidence I've come up with so far lands on the "team real" side

I wish had the 3D modelling expertise to fake something like this

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Haha I have been defending it quite a bit I'll admit

I just love to get very Sherlock Holmes on leaks like this, and all of the evidence I've come up with so far lands on the "team real" side

I wish had the 3D modelling expertise to fake something like this
Your pleas for fealty have moved me.

Good work man you've totally convinced me.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
This Ken reminds me too much of SFIV Ken. If Ken was in Smash he would probably be closer to his SFV design. Could be an alt but it seems too convenient.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they add this music piece if Ken is getting added. OG theme.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This Ken reminds me too much of SFIV Ken. If Ken was in Smash he would probably be closer to his SFV design. Could be an alt but it seems too convenient.
His SFIV model is much more primitive than this. Look up how he looked like back then - or hell - check out his Smash 4 trophy. This one's remarkably different.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, who cares if its real or not.

But people love faking this crap. Why Ken though? Such a boring choice to fake lol.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Looks fake to me, but I'm having a hard time finding specific reasons why. I do think Pichu looks oddly... gigantic, but I don't know if that's an indication of it being fake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something that was brought up earlier in the DT is the possibility that this was based on a much older build (based on how several of the displayed portraits have shifted between demos/presentations and certain incongruities with character art that we know of). This might be another point in favor of the leak.

Interesting thing about that is the fact that even in this version, Pichu's icon is aligned differently on the right side than it was in the actual Direct, so whoever did this didn't just copy paste a frame from existing footage or anything. They would've had to have a decent resolution picture of Pichu's old render which was never made public as far as I'm aware.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Something that was brought up earlier in the DT is the possibility that this was based on a much older build (based on how several of the displayed portraits have shifted between demos/presentations and certain incongruities with character art that we know of). This might be another point in favor of the leak.

Interesting thing about that is the fact that even in this version, Pichu's icon is aligned differently on the right side than it was in the actual Direct, so whoever did this didn't just copy paste a frame from existing footage or anything. They would've had to have a decent resolution picture of Pichu's old render which was never made public as far as I'm aware.

Things like this are why its exasperating so many people come in just to say "fake" without elaborating

Too much doesn't add up for it to be a simple photoshop job

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a surprise twist if it is Ken, just like with the Simon announcement. It won't only be Ken, but Akuma as well.

Also everyone remember how far fans can go with making fakes. Never forget Rayman.

xns8mz7ufog12etububp.gif

Do we know if rabbids are going to be in this game? Anything is possible with the ubi-nintendo partnership that gave us Mario v Rabbids

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'm gonna say it's legit. No argument I've read itt or otherwise has actually disproved it beyond saying the shading looks weird when from all I can see not only does the shading look accurate if perhaps unfinished but that really just looks like a model in a game full stop. If it's fake, it's a fake model someone inserted into a 3D scene but everything else from that 3D scene looks accurate enough or can be explained through different builds.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles

Huh... Well dang maybe it is real. Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards real.

It's amazing these ultra small details people are able to pick apart. Legit P.I.'s in our presence.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Disappointingly real. Oh well, at least he's just an echo, so not many resources were wasted on making him happen.

I hope Smash Ultimate adds a random character toggle option like they have for stages.

Mattabee

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know a whole lot about the history of Ken's design, but would it be weird if Ken had a straight, un-torn gi as opposed to Ryu's which is battered and torn?
Though it may not have always been reflected in the sprites, it was one of the main differentiating features between them in official art.