Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

I think this news deserves its own thread. Apparently a screenshot from Smash Ultimate has leaked, potentially showing a new character.

What do you think about this?

UGDAjSQ.jpg

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Probably just an echo fighter, which I'm totally cool with. The game has every character I could want in Smash.

Them adding more would be unnecessary at this point because that roster is HUUUUGGEEE

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's been talked about a lot in the Smash OT but I'll just quote a few of my posts as to why I think it's probably legit:

Ok so I did some Mappy Science

AXnogFT.jpg

Things worth noting:

• The leak's pixels are weirdly compressed the same way they were in the E3 Direct (see what should be the pink ear under the cap, the 2 pixels of brown under the nose). The Wii U and OG Mappy sprites are much cleaner.
  • The outline is slightly thinner and softer in the leak.
My conclusion? Very convincing, but they could have used Photoshop to select the Mappy from the Direct and "feathered" the edges, resulting in them becoming thinner and softer.

Some more Mappy Science - the full sprite is the same one seen in the E3 Direct, with the same weird compression resulting in pixel bleed. The image is more faded so it's harder to notice the lighter colored pixels, but they're still the same.

7VWO45b.png

So, if this is fake, the faker had the forethought to go into the E3 Direct and cut and paste that Mappy in particular

That's a helluva lot of work to go to for a character who didn't even need to be there

Regarding the Pichu ear thing, it's very possible that as this is a dev build, there's some messed up transparencies thanks to bounding boxes. I'm no game developer but if you look closely, the ear cuts off exactly where it'd make a perfect square. Considering the transparency of Ken's portrait is all weird, it's likely not meant to look final

EIFOSCA.png

Again, the Monsters Inc. world leak for Kingdom Hearts 3 had Sora, Donald and Goofy with their default HP window portraits because that sort of thing doesn't matter when you're testing a game

Another thing that points to the leak being real IMO, because it's something a debug mode would likely leave out; there's no ink

F63Bnqw.jpg

The stage's edges gets splatted at the start of a match by default, before any Inkling can get to covering it themselves, and in every image I've found, this corner has at least SOME. In the leaked image, there's nothing. Presumably this would be because it'd skip the standard start-up animation.

On top of the fact it uses models and angles not seen in any pre-existing footage (they'd have to set it up on a demo kiosk, where Pichu wasn't even playable IIRC)

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Fake af. Ken doesn't look like he even fits the game here. Would be happy if it was real though.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you're gonna call real or fake I'd head over to the main Smash Ultimate thread first and look at what people over there have been putting together for a few pages.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Rex.

As for Ken, kinda expected. Wouldn't surprise me if true.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
He's up there with Shadow when it comes to very likely echo fighters, so it's not the most outlandish leak.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's true, I like Ken better. He's red and has fire on his uppercuts, so he's cooler.

I hope it has yellow ken as an option, that one is my favourite.

Oct 28, 2017
Rotobit's notes above is making me believe it's real. Could be fake, but a very meticulous and detailed one if so.

But, honestly, I expect Ken to be in the game anyway, so like, the character being leaked is not setting off any bullshit alarms anyway. I would expect a fake of this level of detail to be about a more exciting or controversial subject. That might be the primary thing that makes me think it is probably just real

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fake. The very semitransparent portrait is way too convenient.

This is the best reason as to why I think it may be fake, but its very convincing otherwise.

I'm sure Ken IS in the game so I'm not too worried about this but we'll see if this leak is actuslly legit or if this is another Palutena leak situation like the video said.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Ken's materials and shading don't match the style of the game and are completely different from Ryu's.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I bet this is another palutena leak situation:

-Leak will be revealed to be fake at some point by the maker
-Character still makes it in

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying this but it's not necessarily true. I'm personally leaning towards fake, but Ryu actually does look like this in Smash Ultimate.

ss_4.jpg
No, this proves me right because this is a completely different shading style and different materials. Smash doesn't have super dark shading with lots of gradients, and I'm not talking about the character casted shadows either. Look at the way Ken's muscles are shaded, it's completely different.
Then we have the skin not being a match material wise at all.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Figures that the one character who outright leaks would be the most boring possible one.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding some of the more common points brought up against it -

• The portrait is likely faded out so the debug box above it is easy to read. There is a Ken render under there still, which honestly makes it feel more real - why would you mock up the render only to make it almost completely transparent? Unless it looks terrible, I suppose, but the features we can see seem professional enough.
  • Things don't line up perfectly cos the TV and camera are at a very slight angle
  • Pichu is gigantic in the final game. Young Link, too. It's a bit weird.
  • Debug modes often have different UI and shading effects to their final versions. The purpose is testing mechanics, not visuals. Take a look at the Monsters Inc. Kingdom Hearts 3 leak for an idea.
Also something no one has pointed out that I've seen, I think every character is hooked up to a single controller and the person playing has hit the "Up" Taunt button.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fake next to the other characters.
I would not be surprised if Ken was in the game, this screenshot isn't very convincing though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Pichu gigantic? Also, why wouldn't he be in? That would be the least surprising thing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Even if this picture is fake I think Ken is definitely going to be in. He'll only be an echo fighter, though. Hopefully, I mean, it would be kind of anti-climactic if one of the final newcomers (or the only final newcomer) was just a semi-clone of Ryu.