Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The shadow and banjo art look kinda off to me but I hope this is real cus i NEED a new remix of the sick ass Mach Rider theme

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I kind of think its fake because Era is now so positive its real

:P

(Not taking the bet though because I have my own avatar for next month planned out and I honestly don't care if it is real or fake).

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no..

bg0ZFMP.png
what is Loz was actually right

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If this is fake - why and how did the leaker make a fake persona, deliberately leak information to doxx himself, tie himself convincingly to an obscure yet not unreasonable location, and then set off a domino chain like that just to make a fake leak?
All you have to do is find the name of someone working for a specific company (which LinkedIn makes very easy) and put it in the leak. He didn't "make a fake persona" -- he just stole someone's identity.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
And I don't care about the Echoes
Daisy was enough for me

I don't need a single player
with awful unbalanced bosses
Sakurai won't make me happy
With yet another Subspace

Oh, I won't ask for much this Christmas
not even for unique Dorf
And I'm just gonna keep on waiting
Like Ridley grew down two stores

I won't make a list and send it
To Nintendo for Dixie
I won't even stay awake for
4chan threads in need for clicks

'Cause I just want you here tonight
maining you, smile in sight
What more can I do?
Cause baby all I want for Christmas is you

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas
Is you
You, baby

sAippiG.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you have to do is find the name of someone working for a specific company (which LinkedIn makes very easy) and put it in the leak. He didn't "make a fake persona" -- he just stole someone's identity.

Actually that's a good point. Has anyone verified this guy's LinkedIn profile?

Though if this guy had his identity stolen you'd think he'd correct the issue as quickly as possible.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is the face I see there someone from Whoville?
It's his dog back to back with the Grinch. The Grinch's front goes down and to the right under some paper. You're supposed to fold it on the white part and have a double sided ornament with the Grinch's front on one side and Max the dog's front on the other wherein you can see the Grinch's back behind Max.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If this is fake - why and how did the leaker make a fake persona, deliberately leak information to doxx himself, tie himself convincingly to an obscure yet not unreasonable location, and then set off a domino chain like that just to make a fake leak?
You'll be surprise what some leakers would do for attention.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Actually that's a good point. Has anyone verified this guy's LinkedIn profile?

Though if this guy had his identity stolen you'd think he'd correct the issue as quickly as possible.

It got removed, and the only reason it would be deleted if it was a real profile is they found out a stranger was trying to use their identity in this pet project and didn't feel safe (or it was recently created just for credibility). This turning out to be fake would be bringing into question the persons morality.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Well the LinkedIn account was made very recently IIRC, so if we're going with the theory that it's fake it being a fake identity for the sole purpose of the leak makes way more sense. Unless this person somehow knew the person he was impersonating, then made the fake leak to frame him and fire him.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well the LinkedIn account was made very recently IIRC, so if we're going with the theory that it's fake it being a fake identity for the sole purpose of the leak makes way more sense. Unless this person somehow knew the person he was impersonating, then made the fake leak to frame him and fire him.
Didn't people find out the Linkedin was actually quite a bit old and also already have connections?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

It's not a fake persona, the person is real and did work at this marketing firm.

How about this, this person that works at a marketing firm, bullshitted around a bit and made this mock up for fun on his own time and then printed it out at work.
He sent it to his friend as a joke and his friend posted it on discord and ruined his life, yeah?

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL
People kinda forget the ESRB leaks had weird spelling mistakes lol

ESRBleak9.png

"Disablad"

Small inconsistencies aren't enough to break a leak this big.

This is ancient by now, but I wanted to point out that this does actually say "Disabled". It's one of those trick of the blur sort of things.

Also there's another lowercase 'a' right there in the word that looks different from that smudgy 'e'.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a fake persona, the person is real and did work at this marketing firm.

How about this, this person that works at a marketing firm, bullshitted around a bit and made this mock up for fun on his own time and then printed it out at work.
He sent it to his friend as a joke and his friend posted it on discord and ruined his life, yeah?
then the person should have come clean that it was fake instead of getting fired I guess

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I suppose but what's stopping them from clearing the picture now if that's the case? Surely even an NDA can't mean they won't be able to talk about it or say it's fake.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why did this person print out a huge mockup for their fun little project that they definitely didn't want to leak while saying "fuck you Nintendo"

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I just find the premise absurd. If a Smash fan had the real final poster, and wanted to leak it, we would have a very high quality image. Since we're getting a wristband sized image from a moving video, we're expected to believe a real professional media person just goofed and forgot to hide it, and their name, while video streaming to someone that just so happens to frequent 4chan, a notorious place for incessant fake leaks, and nowhere else, and is amoral enough to break the confidence of the media person. So we can believe that, or that it was staged and faked, a fake that would take a talented photo editor mere hours to create.
You make some compelling points for sure, but as a graphic and audiovisual designer I can tell you that something like this would take more than "mere hours". Sure, someone could do this for attention and to get their work out there. It worked for the guys who did the Rayman leak. But this dude actually made a completely unrelated Grinch render and he actually produced a wristband with (his) Smash artwork on it which usually are only available to order in large quantities (and thus pretty expensive) if you want custom art printed on it.

And the Snapchat thing could very well be real. I do a lot of work for record labels and I (especially in the early days) have accidentally sent out snaps with unreleased music playing in the background without thinking twice about it. Nothing happened since I only send out snaps to friends, but maybe this guy posted it in his story for everyone to see. For all we know the dude doesn't even know that those characters are unannounced and just wanted to show his friends that his company was printing Smash related merch.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
why did this person print out a huge mockup for their fun little project that they definitely didn't want to leak while saying "fuck you Nintendo"
Yeah, I'm going with the Occam's razor here.

It is a real leaked bit of material that was supposed to only be circulated amongst a group of people. It got leaked, but the information involved resulted in the person who took the photo getting in trouble. Nintendo found out, and immediately wanted this guy's Linkedin - the glue giving this leak any degree of credibility - offline.

I think that makes more sense than identity theft or malicious intent or a correct identity making a fake leak.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
So the super sleuths can't find anything super damaging to the credibility of this leak yet the insiders are saying its fake.

This is going to sound like I'm joking but humor me for a second.

It almost sounds to me like Nintendo put in an extra precaution just in case things leaked as they have today. Insiders and press were given info on what was said to be the final roster by Nintendo themselves. In doing so "leakers" connected to the press could reveal what they assume is everything and there would still be surprises for everyone. If the real full leak ever did get actually leaked(as it did today) the Insiders would band together saying its fake which would temper expectations of the general Smash going public.

Tell me that aint a perfect set up to keep peoples hype in check and still manage to surprise us all? Only thing is it seems like most of us aren't buying what the insiders are selling.

This just seems way too real. I mean once again Dixie was cut. How much more proof do you need?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the Mii Swordfighter thing.

Also good for JaredG finding some actual discrepancies in the pics. Doing what Twitter could not.
Someone thought that the leaker did a photoshop screwup for Mii Swordfighter and accidentally dragged part of a floating island and made the blade seem chunkier. Then people found out it was just the cloud and low quality doing some fuckery with the image

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the super sleuths can't find anything super damaging to the credibility of this leak yet the insiders are saying its fake.

It almost sounds to me like Nintendo put in an extra precaution just in case things leaked as they have today. Insiders and press were given info on what was said to be the final roster by Nintendo themselves. In doing so "leakers" connected to the press could reveal what they assume is everything and there would still be surprises for everyone. If the real full leak ever did get actually leaked(as it did today) the Insiders would band together saying its fake which would temper expectations of the general Smash going public.

Tell me that aint a perfect set up to keep peoples hype in check and still manage to surprise us all? Only thing is it seems like most of us aren't buying what the insiders are selling.

This just seems way too real. I mean once again Dixie was cut. How much more proof do you need?
A possibility is that their Incineroar source had early info and was confident that Incineroar was in the game and leaked him with Simon and Isabelle then it turned out that the most likely of the three somehow got cut

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Someone thought that the leaker did a photoshop screwup for Mii Swordfighter and accidentally dragged part of a floating island and made the blade seem chunkier. Then people found out it was just the cloud and low quality doing some fuckery with the image
I'll be the first to admit that a LOT of it is impossible to definitively say is changed because of the image quality. But some things, like the missing castle, the cut off waterfall, and the shape of some of the crystals, can't be explained away with the image quality.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

I mentioned this theory in the DT - I 100% agree. I mean, what's a better way to get a burst of hype and maintain secrecy than to make a cover-up leak of a so-so final part of the roster, then have a HOLY SHIT blowout of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.