Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Most trailers Sony showcased in June were native 4K?!
Which was also surprising to many given that at this point using reconstruction tecniques might be the best use of resources.
I guess we'll find out if this is true or the usual round of FUD, honestly the timing of all this is really suspicious ;)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Faux k is absolutely fine

4Kinda

Doesn't matter as long as it looks good.

Native 4K rendering means dick, even DF have said stuff like DLSS is the way forward when it comes to 4K.

Yeah. I won't bother with 4K for any game that supports DLSS 2.0. No reason to, when it would allow me to turn on other graphical effects that I otherwise wouldn't be able to at the frame rate I want.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just to be clear, 12.16 would be the Xbox number of we are giving them the same detailed estimate, and 10.28 is not constant so you are also measuring a variable clock by its maximum which it cannot always use. I've seen some estimates of it dropping to about 9.2 depending on load, heat, and resource needs but I'll refrain from doing that math if we think it may be lower or higher than that and i missed it. But 18% is the most generous assumption you could give PS5.

Its quite reasonable for anyone here to realize that to achieve the same performance and settings, PS5 with even that generous calculation is about 1/5th less power so of course it may not be able to have the same resolution as Series X.
Can you give proof about dropping to 9 tf ? This fake information has been going around and needs to stop. Otherwise every discussion gets derailed with it . There is no 9 tf ps5. Its a fake rumor created by few which when asked for proof they link u to last year ps5 tests where it had rdna 1 and clock was 2ghz leading to 9.2 tf. At same time xsx had 1.6 ghz clock. Once both switched to rdna 2 variant after amd made them ready, ps5 went to 2.25 ghz and xsx went to 1.85 ghz. Both went up by 0.25 ghz

Again I ask u ,do you have proof for 9 tf ?

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, checkerboard rendering is pretty good overall.

Buuut if you're going to be rendering most things at 1440p then please properly support 1440p displays, Sony.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear, 12.16 would be the Xbox number of we are giving them the same detailed estimate, and 10.28 is not constant so you are also measuring a variable clock by its maximum which it cannot always use. I've seen some estimates of it dropping to about 9.2 depending on load, heat, and resource needs but I'll refrain from doing that math if we think it may be lower or higher than that and i missed it. But 18% is the most generous assumption you could give PS5.

Its quite reasonable for anyone here to realize that to achieve the same performance and settings, PS5 with even that generous calculation is about 1/5th less power so of course it may not be able to have the same resolution as Series X.
Jesus can we stop with the FUD. We have both Cerny and Matt on the board saying 10.28 is not a theoretical maximum. It is the expected performance in all but the most extreme circumstances. Of course the XSX is going to have more power it's just math but Dusk is making it sound like the PS4pro vs XOX which we already know will not be the case.

So that's two respected insiders saying the same thing.
And multiple saying it's not true. Guess you get to choose who you believe but Matt has the better track record compared to everyone else.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My expectation has generally been that if Series X was running games at 4k, the PS5 would be at around 1800p or something using reconstruction techniques to achieve a similar level of visual fidelity. If DuskGolem thinks this is a problem, I don't know if it'll play out that way in practicality. Unless developers intend to brute force 4K at the expense of performance/visuals.

Actually, based on the specs, if a game was native 4K on the XSX and 1800p on the PS5, the latter would have notably better performance.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah, Cerny himself said the PS5 will run at the top clockage most of the time and will only "downclock" if the game doesn't need any extra juice.
That's not full context for PS5 though, as Cerny has also said that they will allow locked clock speed profiles for devs who need it and those are not the same as when PS5 will hit max clock running variable. It will not be able to run at max clock all the time, no way to spin it.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this makes sense and is not unexpected. xbox one x struggles to maintain a "true, native" 4k30 on current gen games with current gen console settings. reconstruction / upsampling / dynamic resolution scaling etc are going to be a big part of games on both consoles.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Native 4k is a waste of power - not sure why people are so hung up over native vs checkerboard. Performance is what really matters. Flawless 60fps.120fps. That's the true next gen advantage, and the ps5 and XSX shouldn't have any problems in that regard.

I mean, i think we all know fine well why there is thing hang up. This gen alone 900p v 1080p was THEE big topic and was used as a stick to constantly beat the xbox one. Then when the Pro was relased and it never really hit 4K without reconstruction the narritive changed almost over night.

War...war never changes :-)

incidentally i dont think native 4k is a waste and its been a joy to play some of those games that hit the "magic number"

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Who cares!? The games on both consoles will look like pixar films once devs learn how to leverage the power. Xbox One X didn't stop PS4 Pro from having some of the best looking games graphically this gen so once again who the hell cares because both will be amazing.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Even on PC ray tracing in 4k60 is a pipe dream outside of some games with very special circumstances.

Hell even with DLSS 2.0 games like Control dip below 60fps with ray tracing enabled. Without it not even 30 fps are possible.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

No.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can you give proof about dropping to 9 tf ? This fake information has been going around and needs to stop. Otherwise every discussion gets derailed with it . There is no 9 tf ps5. Its a fake rumor created by few which when asked for proof they link u to last year ps5 tests where it had rdna 1 and clock was 2ghz leading to 9.2 tf. At same time xsx had 1.6 ghz clock. Once both switched to rdna 2 variant after amd made them ready, ps5 went to 2.25 ghz and xsx went to 1.85 ghz. Both went up by 0.25 ghz

Again I ask u ,do you have proof for 9 tf ?

the variable nature of the ps5 gpu clock is proof in itself.
2.25 is the peak boost clock it can go to.
Xbox clocks are locked.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Anyway that plays on PC and still wants the best framerates knows that 4k native is a waste. 1440p is a much better resolution to use this gen and whatever fake 4k they want to do.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

(Jeff Grubb stuff)

seems pretty generic. Mentioned AMD smart shift which shouldn't be an issue - only comes in if power limits are being hit. It's still a deterministic system so will be stable for devs. It may be possible that tools and workflow to manage this may be a little immature as it's new, but Sony tools are generally well regarded

as for NBA2k etc being mentioned - just sounded like examples of big 3rd parties rather than specific examples he has heard have issues

overall came across as a potential launch snag but nothing with concrete examples

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Four possibilities for multi-platform next-gen games:

• Lead version is SeS -> SeX will probably be the best looking (rez + framerate)console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

• Lead version is PS5. SeX and PS5 versions will look the same. PS5 will have better loading speeds.

• Lead version is SeX. SeX will definitely be the best looking console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

• Lead version is PC. SeX will probably be the best looking console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
That's not full context for PS5 though, as Cerny has also said that they will allow locked clock speed profiles for devs who need it and those are not the same as when PS5 will hit max clock running variable. It will not be able to run at max clock all the time, no way to spin it.
It will depend on the game.
Some games will be able to do the max clocks all the time.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
18%. Smallest power difference ever between two machine in same generation

Yeah I don't understand somehow this 18% power difference somehow means the Xbox is extremely superior at doing 4K(it is but not that much surely). You make the game according to the resolution that you want and then you tune the rest of the graphics to keep it at the frame rates you want on the consoles or PC specs that you want. Or maybe they have dynamic resolution or whatever.

If they can't maintain 4K then they've got the other settings to high. It's up to the the developers choice for how they do this, maybe the PS5 can't maintain 4K at quite the settings of the Xbox. Although the tweets don't even seem to be comparing it to Xbox so they are just still in the development stage and still tweaking things.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the best looking game shown so far? Unreal engine tech demo.

What resolution was it? 1440p

Literally the least important metric of graphics. Just needs to hit a bare minimum.

What is this, 15 years ago when LCDs had bad scaling of non-native content? The consoles even upscale everything now to your 4k TV at some point in the pipeline anyway.

All this is just trivial differences in sharpness they make no difference to anyone's experience except people sitting inches from a monitor counting pixels.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Locking the clocks in only something that can be done on dev units. When it is released to retail it will use the variable clocks. Those are only for QA and dev troubleshooting. Max clocks will be hit a majority of the time.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Four possibilities for multi-platform next-gen games:

1. Lead version is SeS -> SeX will probably be the best looking (rez + framerate)console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

2. Lead version is PS5. SeX and PS5 versions will look the same. PS5 will have better loading speeds.

3. Lead version is SeX. SeX will definitely be the best looking console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

4. Lead version is PC. SeX will probably be the best looking (rez + framerate)console version but PC will look better. Time-squeezed devs might just release the game at 1600-1800p upscaled to 4K for PS4 to match SeX framerates.

Stop trying to make SeX happen

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I mean, i think we all know fine well why there is thing hang up. This gen alone 900p v 1080p was THEE big topic and was used as a stick to constantly beat the xbox one. Then when the Pro was relased and it never really hit 4K without reconstruction the narritive changed almost over night.

War...war never changes :-)

incidentally i dont think native 4k is a waste and its been a joy to play some of those games that hit the "magic number"
Are you saying the narrative changed because of sony fanboys? Lol, you should watch some DF videos on why we should all hope both consoles don't waste resources on 4k

TheBuck

Jan 22, 2018
No shit. First party studios may be able to pull true 4K but unsure about multi-platform titles. Just give me 1080p locked at 60fps for all games and Ill be happy.

And we have no information nor benchmarks of RDNA2. So we can't say for sure.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It is able to run at max clocks at every time it's needed. I'm not even that tech-savy and I know that's literally how Smart Shift works. Sorry, I believe Cerny over you and other members who keeps repeating that there's no way the PS5 can't run at 10.28 TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.