• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Native 4K is a waste of resources, it's been proven time and time again, and labelling reconstruction techniques as "fake 4K" is idiotic.
Yep, 100% agreed. Nvidia realized the same thing with DLSS and it's proving insanely popular with gamers. 90+% of 4K image quality for signficantly better performance (meaning higher framerates and/or better visuals through raytracing etc) is an easy and obvious trade-off to make.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People get so caught up in the competition and comparison... Xbox Series X is more powerful than the PS5 by a decent margin in every facet outside of SSD speed but this doesn't mean PS5 is going to produce games with bad graphics, most people will be challenged to even notice the difference I wager.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Kind of confused. Doesn't the resolution depend in part on how demanding the graphics are? Thus like always, devs change graphical settings to hit certain resolution and performance level?

This just feels a little odd to me because that seems like it generalizes games and their specifics a lot.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to agonizing over this in the far distant future where 4k tvs exist in my house.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What's the difference between checkerboard and native? I'd rather games with strong visuals with checkerboard 4K than games with mediocre visuals with native

Checkerboard takes 1/2 the rendering resources and can occasionally introduce some minor visual quality issues with poor implementation in particular with fast motion.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really care how the image gets there as long as it looks good.
I think we're going to see a lot of native 4K stuff early in the generation as devs make incremental steps in fidelity from what they've been achieving with mature tools on current gen. Then as they learn to squeeze more out of the new systems, they'll start putting the resources elsewhere and find some optimal sub-4K resolution to upscale from, at least when it comes to games pushing technical graphical boundaries. I also think there will be lots of games throughout the generation that don't aim for that and run at native 4K (e.g., indies/AA stuff).

It's going to be an exciting generation in that we're going to see a lot of diversity in visuals, but (hopefully) all of them will be rendered with great image quality at the very least.

yeah that's stuff is super normal each gen.
Ports that can ramp up resolution and framerate , then it drops off a bit as the games get built for 30fps.
Happened last gen (remember how 60fps was going to be the default on PS4 because a bunch of launch titles were) and it will happen this gen too.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
with DLSS 2.0 making huge waves on PC for nvidia, if AMD provides a similar service for consoles then no-one should need to worry about it outputting at native 4k, rendering internally at a lower res and upscaling should be just fine.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously doubt it. If launch PS4 Vs. Xbox One resulted in a 900p Vs. 1080p and that was a much bigger gap on an inferior architecture, then the PS5 should be able to do -native- 4k where the Series X is able to.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
seems like a lot of insiders/game media peeps are on some sort of Xbox gas up tour, after all the hits. It's totally reminding me of all the "Sony too!" insider/media tea before PS4 launch. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm super interested to see how multiplatform performance pans out, I could see my interest in a Series X being much higher if 3rd party games consistently perform significantly better. Though the big different maker for me is if they underperform on PS5.

I don't really care about "fake 4K" solutions but if these dev struggles also translate to consistently wonky framerates or other visual drawbacks in multiplatform titles I could see my PS5 quickly turning into a system I own just for its exclusives like I did with the PS3 for much of its life.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Let make this clear to anyone who's gonna read this:

I will not be shamed for being optimistic and excited for fake 4k.

Not by you. And not by anyone.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with this. Reconstruction tech is so damn good these days that you won't realistically be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1440p on a TV if it's done right.
Tbh I wish more games would shoot for 1440p/60 over 4K/30

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't believe that the system is "struggling" at all, it's easily powerful enough to push 4K. I imagine it's just the devs choosing to cut back on resolution to get the extra graphical effects or frame rate they want. We'll see the same thing on the XSX.

Besides, we haven't seen the reconstruction yet. If the final result is indistinguishable from native 4K, then it's fine. "If you can't tell, does it matter?"

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...

This is so vague that it's about the same as anyone out there can predict. There's "a few tidbits" known from everyone that both manufacturers would love to undercut the other, with one being more ready to take a loss on it than the other (not due to finances but due to how the past gen went).

Exactly. The final prices will only be known by a handful of people at either organisation. Literally a need to know basis so I find it hard to believe Dusk knows the prices of both. Just vague teasing again.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That is not shocking at all I mean 36CU and 4K and Ray tracing? Not happening.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People get so caught up in the competition and comparison... Xbox Series X is more powerful than the PS5 by a decent margin in every facet outside of SSD speed but this doesn't mean PS5 is going to produce games with bad graphics, most people will be challenged to even notice the difference I wager.
18%. Smallest power difference ever between two machine in same generation

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the news here? With a ~18% delta in TF it should be expected that if XSX runs a game at 4K, PS5 will get you around 1900p which is fake 4K but sounds perfectly fine.

On the other side, if PS5 ends up more expensive than XSX as claimed, then that would be more surprising.
I'm with you. The pricing part of the tweets stood out to me more.

Techno