• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
For those who don't know, there is a move in Pokémon called Attract. From Bulbapedia:

If the target is the opposite gender of the Pokémon who launched the move, the target becomes infatuated. If the move is used on a Pokémon that is the same gender as the user, it will fail. It will also fail if used by or on a genderless Pokémon.

This mod changes that, so you can use the move regardless of gender. This happened today:

They even used a pun, trying to sound funny. Disgusting.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the mod if anyone wants to try it.

https://dr-dos.itch.io/pokepan-crystal

EDIT: Official Romhacking.net response

http:///V0td.png

Edit 3: Discord response
RHDN_apology.png

Edit 4: Mod approved

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
what are these jabronis at romhacking dot net even doing

just shut the fuck up and accept submissions

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Utterly pathetic.

How does this harm anyone.

The minute the term SJW got used my eyes rolled into the back of my skull. Now they're stuck there.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
And, if I'm reading this right, the site doesn't list that in anywhere of their rules.
The closest it gets is:
"Forbidden Content: Although ROMhacking.net has no content restrictions of its own, our service provider forbids "sexually explicit, hateful, vulgar, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable materials". Therefore these types of hacks are not permitted."

And ironically, this just made the situation 100x worse.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oof... that is NOT a good look... Also it wouldn't be the 'sjw' this would set off, if anything it would be everyone else.

The fact that they tried to play it off as a bad pun is somehow almost as offensive.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, they're so right that SJWs would be mad about LGBT representation. If there's one thing I know about social justice, it's that everyone who fights for it is also homophobic.

*eyes roll*

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on Twitter, fucking gross.

Unironic use of "SJW" continues to be the most transparent sign of a person being garbage.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ironically, rejecting the mod is a political statement too

whoda thunk!

Oct 25, 2017
Two thoughts:

1. Not allowing political content is itself making a political statement, though not explicitly. At best, it's cowardice. At worst, it's actively approving of the status quo.
2. The admin/mod/whoever wrote the message sounds like a chud. If that's representative of the site itself or its staff, then I'll make sure to avoid it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Wow, that's real shitty of them.

Also, they should just change attract to have a 90% success rate, with a 10% chance to work/fail on the same/opposite gender.

Oct 27, 2017
Itt I learned that rom hacks need to go through some kind of approval. Not sure I understand why.

And yeah, who cares, just accept the fucking mod. It's a mod, not a Nobel prize candidate or whatever

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The SJW Illuminatti are trying to subliminally implant pro-homosexual propaganda via ROMhacks, the horror!

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Welcome to shitty, small, online, niche game/tech communities. Shut off from each other, shut off from the world, but control the distribution channels anyway.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
They literally just made a political statement by mentioning politics and "SJW's" when there were no politics involved.

These people REALLY love outing themselves, don't they.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Using "SJWs" unironically as a pejorative continues to expose people as terrible human beings.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Itt I learned that rom hacks need to go through some kind of approval. Not sure I understand why.
RHDN, in theory, does have a review process because what the site offers does straddle the line of legality at times. The big thing they typically keep an eye out on is if a project gets submitted that includes the actual game rather than just including a patch.

But, yeah, fuck them for this. This is utterly ridiculous of them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if I went back in time and showed myself this thread title, past me would just stare at me in disbelief.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea Romhacking.net was still a thing. I thought that site died in the late 2000s like Ocremix.org.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was a "political statement", which it's not, all pieces of work are political to some degree.

Honestly though this is a good mod and I kinda wish that Game Freak would apply that to the main game as it's dumb how it works for hetro only.

What political statement is it even? 'Gay people exist"?

They're just pulling the same bullshit that Nintendo did with Tomodachi life.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A romhacking website, of all the things in the world.

I wonder if Nintendo and Pokemon have their eyes on this site now.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Guh, did they really have to do this? I just view Romhacking.net as a service, they shouldn't be policing things as benign as this.

Needless to say if anyone starts up an alternative hack hosting site, let me know

Had no idea Romhacking.net was still a thing. I thought that site died in the late 2000s like Ocremix.org.

OCRemix is still going pretty strong too. I wanna say a fair few remixers went on to professionally compose, too (Jake Kaufman I believe was one of em?)

Even VGmusic.com is a solid source of midis, though there aren't many new submissions

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
why do conservative dinguses always think their own political intentions don't count as "politics"

how much self-awareness can you possibly lack

Two thoughts:

1. Not allowing political content is itself making a political statement, though not explicitly. At best, it's cowardice. At worst, it's actively approving of the status quo.

Regardless of the intentions of the creator of this mod, nothing about it is explicitly political in any way. It's only political if you project your politics onto it. Otherwise it's just a mod that lets you use attract regardless of your starting gender choice.

Acting on the suspicion that the creator of a mod like this is making a political statement and deciding that whatever that statement might be is inappropriate for your hosting site for rom hacks is explicitly political.

You could make the case that if the romhack included added openly political dialogue or something that there could be an issue there. There's another set of arguments to be made in that case. But that's not what this is.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
1. They better put a timer on attract or change how it works because that will just make Whitney's Gym fucking infuriating in pokemon crystal because all her pokemon have attract and Attract Plus Body Slam/Rollout/Milk Drink will just make that shit maddening.
2.This Admin is on some stupid shit.
3. Man If Mainline Pokemon does this I hope they change that move because it doesn't wear off and its a 50/50 shot of your pokemon doing anything.
4. That is a pretty cool change that I never really thought of because I'm pretty sure only the most annoying trainers in the games have that fucking move.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Whew that was close, good thing they rejected this innocuous mod to avoid attention from the dreaded SJWs.

JohnMichonski

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
One thing to note (and this is mentioned in the article I wrote about this) is that they also have removed and blocked purposely offensive hacks from the site. I was told that hacks involving putting bigotry, racism, etc. into hacks will not be posted on RHDN, but this also shows that they see "SJWs" as an extreme equal to racists and Nazis. So that's fun.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Conservatives: We're baring this media because it's biologically accurate for only males to be attracted to females and vice verse, it's a scientific fact!
Science: But biology works like this though....
Conservatives: Stop politicising!