Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how the site has tens of thousands of ROM hacks from the last two decades that are just Super Mario Bros with pot leafs replacing the mushrooms or "Super Butt Bros" where Mario is literally replaced with a single frame sprite of a butt.

This is where they draw the line though.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Romhacking.net already has similar stuff for other games, so I'm inclined to believe this is a lone shitter.

Right? there's that Black 2/White 2 mod where you replaced a certain trainer so that way it could match the chosen gender of your character. Those Battle Ferris Wheels interactions had romantic connotations attached to them

Oct 25, 2017
Response on discord

lori

Oct 25, 2017
RHDN_apology.png

Here's what they had to say for their apology statement on Discord.

Again, not quite the norm for them and they are sorry. Doesn't look like it'll be repeated again.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
-edit- yeah as someone said I'm definitely remembering where I got the mod from wrong. Can't even find it anywhere anymore. Whoops.

Original post: Aight so I can understand a company wanting to take a very neutral political stance, however in middle school I was able to download some mario 3 mod called Super Bisexual Bros which included a giant ejaculating dick on the title screen. If something like that gets though which looking back can totally be argued as bigoted or at the very least insensitive, the idea this can't is asinine and actually pretty Homophobic.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit of a long shot that the person doesn't "hang out in sections of the internet" and yet uses the term "SJW".

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact, did you know the Love Ball in Crystal isn't super effective on opposite gender Pokemon?

It's actually the opposite...it works on same-gender Pokemon.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Aight so I can understand a company wanting to take a very neutral political stance, however in middle school I was able to download some mario 3 mod called Super Bisexual Bros which included a giant ejaculating dick on the title screen. If something like that gets though which looking back can totally be argued as bigoted or at the very least insensitive, the idea this can't is asinine and actually pretty Homophobic.
Last time i checked Romhacking doesn't allow adult content.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems a bit of a long shot that the person doesn't "hang out in sections of the internet" and yet uses the term "SJW".

Seriously. Maybe they meant he doesn't hang out in parts of the internet where the term SJW results in immidate raised eyebrows.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
RHDN_apology.png

Again, not quite the norm for them and they are sorry. Doesn't look like it'll be repeated again.
Odd how people that aren't familiar with stuff, can repeat it word for word.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't familiar with that nonsense but rejected a benign pan hack on the basis of "SJWs"? Really?
Yeah. It's not good and it's a bit too difficult to claim ignorance here, not gonna lie.

But at the same time, please remember this site is by multiple people and that he did this on his own, without going by anyone else, and was dealt with for it.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

He doesn't hang out in the sections of the Internet where it is used but literally wrote, "Sorry but this hack would "attract" undesirable attention to SJWs"

Yeah, that makes sense.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I will say I can see some truth to the staffer being outside the US, with the wording of the first message being kinda odd, like it wasn't a native English speaker.

Re-reading it, you could see it as saying "this hack could bring harassment to its creator and LGBT people, so we won't publish it". Of course, the usage of "SJW" is still extremely problematic, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if someone from a country that isn't native English speaking could find and use that word without knowing its actual implications.

It doesn't excuse anything ultimately, though. If anything, it means they need to take a long hard look at their moderation practices and, y'know, not try to speak for and "protect" minority groups. And this is all a charitable defense considering that dumb response.
RHDN_apology.png

At this point I'm thinking they were just ignorant/insensitive rather than hateful, to be honest

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Really happy I'm blocked by that DDSTrans guy but considering they're from Alabama and the purported staff member that rejected it isn't American, it's probably not them.

SJW is a common word used by people who aren't in the know and aren't familiar with it as an alt-right term...but it was totally used in that context in the original rejection.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
RHDN_apology.png

So are they going to accept the hack now and we can all move on? Or are they gonna still deny it for reasons?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy I'm blocked by that DDSTrans guy but considering they're from Alabama and the purported staff member that rejected it isn't American, it's probably not them.

SJW is a common word used by people who aren't in the know and aren't familiar with it as an alt-right term...but it was totally used in that context in the original rejection.
That's... a good point. I was about to say "ah well, maybe there was just an asshole on the team and the rest of them weren't aware that this problem would ome up", but then wait, it's not that guy?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
lmao

He doesn't hang out in the sections of the Internet where it is used but literally wrote, "Sorry but this hack would "attract" undesirable attention to SJWs"

Yeah, that makes sense.
There's something odd about the phrasing of the message. Maybe they think of SJW in a positive way and they meant it would attract negative attention towards them? It's honestly the only way the "they don't understand the nuances" makes sense.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
lmao

Yeah, that makes sense.

Not to mention his Twitter says resetera is "cancer". Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't post on 4chan, /pol, or some other shithole of the internet. Certainly.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
So are they going to accept the hack now and we can all move on? Or are they gonna still deny it for reasons?
Looks like it'll be reaccepted if it is resubmitted. I can't tell you much more than that, because this still isn't a direct apology from the offender, just what the community staff was able to cobble together for the apology short term.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention his Twitter says resetera is "cancer". Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't post on 4chan, /pol, or some other shithole of the internet. Certainly.
As Discoalucard pointed out, that doesn't even seem to be that person. So there's one non-American person on the team who doesn't want attention from SJWs and another one from Alabama who thinks Resetera is cancer.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm a dude who detests political nonsense where it doesn't need to be (in the sense that no I don't want random IRL events or out of place stuff shoved in my face when I'm trying to relax and escape them for the sake of my anxiety when playing a game, outside of a game world's own politics) but the statement they made was more political than the mod itself. (which had literally nothing political in meaning at all and therefore had no reason to be blocked and the fact they blocked it speaks volumes about their character) RHN staff are being really dumb by using that stupid label in an unironic fashion as it just makes them easy to associate with the hate group crowd and honestly the apology just makes it dumber and not something I'd take seriously.

For the record the move attract being allowed on everything is also a gamebreaker and a fun way to made the game more difficult/broken and anyone with any knowledge of Pokemon would know that so I seriously doubt this mod had no knowledge of the move's effect. He definitely knew what it was, had a hissy fit and denied it for an absurd reason when there was nothing wrong with the hack.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
This is the same website that hosts Wildbill's work.

I remember how jarring his rewrites were in previous Dynamic-Designs projects, such as FEDA. It made me cautious of the projects where he was the editor but... I had no idea it got to this level.

It's a shame because the work and time required to create a translation patch that functions without glitching out is absolutely immense.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I got all worried when I saw the title because I love romhacking.net. I never really thought about the people behind it; I just assume people who support and do things I like (like ROM hacking!) are cool, which is stupid I guess. Glad to see the response and that it's not what they're about (hopefully).

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
What a crock of shit. Glad to hear they fixed this quickly and gave that "SJW"-spouting staffer a good talking to.

I've always loved ROMHacking.net as a resource and I'm glad the admins seem to be good people.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
that's pretty funny, this mod would get very little to no attention without this, also not accepting it is a political statement,
epic fail

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
RHDN_apology.png

If they just wanted to protect their staff member, they are doing a really poor job of it. An initial response that just apologized, said that the decision was not in accordance with the site's values, and that they would be reviewing their approval process to prevent this in the future would have ended this whole thing.