• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Oof I hate the bard.

Whole class built around bouncing around in a game where you need a ton of accurate movements to dodge everything.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really like the bard till I unlocked their second weapon. They are still a tough class to play, and arguably need a few upgrade to their spinkick before they are viable. But with the second weapon they start to becomes a lot more effective and enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
With only getting 800 soul stones per run and a quickly escalating resource conversion rate, this gets ridiculous to max out to the point where it doesn't seem like even a fun time waster at ng+10 and beyond. Equips take more than a run each? Meh. Also I only bothered using sanguine and then switching to ammonite. Lots of armors just wasted due to the bad interface. No idea what armors boost what until I invest heavily- poor design.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Did the Spreading Poison scar just now. Wow, not one but two unexpected things happen there lol.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oof I hate the bard.

Whole class built around bouncing around in a game where you need a ton of accurate movements to dodge everything.
I did too at first but feels like Bard's true potential comes out as a boss slayer. They're all huge and it makes them extremely susceptible to even just loosely set up notes.

But yeah, its kind of garbage going through stages.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'm finding a lot of fun combos using that contrarian option lock. Just had a boxer with that heph hammer weapon, the one where you just spin, and since he can move through most enemies without being hit and with all 3 runes for speed, double jumps and dashes, I was just flying around like Sonic. Lot of fun doing that.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm finding a lot of fun combos using that contrarian option lock. Just had a boxer with that heph hammer weapon, the one where you just spin, and since he can move through most enemies without being hit and with all 3 runes for speed, double jumps and dashes, I was just flying around like Sonic. Lot of fun doing that.

Also a fan of the Contrarian lock. Had some of my best runs through Contrarian characters, and the 30% gold boost is very welcome.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Mages and gunslingers are fun but the boxer and especially the bard are really hit or miss.
The duelist's combat roll is phenomenal and the astromancer is just super fun.

I'm at NG+1 and the valkerye has been my best class, not my favorite design but really well rounded. Even knight works great since they have high HP.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If i could describe this game it would be "Like Rogue Legacy 1 but with 20 more hours of grind to get to the end". And if it's one thing i didn't want from the first game when credits rolled it was 20 more hours of the same thing. RG2 is good but hard to love in the same way as RG1. So much of the hours you need to spend should have been saved for NG+ and DLCs.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking at some character tier lists and they had the Chef near the bottom and I'm like WTF... I've killed almost every boss in the game using the chef (or the Ranger). The chef's DOT is crazy useful (even better stacked with poison). I haven't yet beat the final boss with any characters though. That close quarter scar is bullshit. Going to take a while to figure how to beat that one.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I was looking at some character tier lists and they had the Chef near the bottom and I'm like WTF... I've killed almost every boss in the game using the chef (or the Ranger). The chef's DOT is crazy useful (even better stacked with poison). .

Same. Reflect and burn is awesome.
Not sure what's up with thowe rankings.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Bought the game yesterday as I felt the need for a platformer roguelite.

Any recommendation for house rule settings for a slightly more casual approach?
I've read the collision damage might be one to look at ...

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Bought the game yesterday as I felt the need for a platformer roguelite.

Any recommendation for house rule settings for a slightly more casual approach?
I've read the collision damage might be one to look at ...
Contact damage is probably where I'd start. You could also just lower enemy damage. Or, if you want to keep it balanced you could remove contact damage but increase enemy damage slightly.

The traits can be kind of brutal, so you could try playing without those for a bit so that you're not wasting runs in the beginning. That said, traits are part of the appeal.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I think I like the traits as they make things spicy enough.
I'll try some runs without the contact damage and see how it goes.
Thanks!

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first one. Is this one as beatable as that? Meaning - are the upgrades good enough to carry if needed? I didn't really need to grind much in the first but it's reassuring to know it's an option.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first one. Is this one as beatable as that? Meaning - are the upgrades good enough to carry if needed? I didn't really need to grind much in the first but it's reassuring to know it's an option.

idk, I beat RL2 without playing 1 but it wasn't too difficult to get the standard ending.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

I beat the second game and I never managed the same in the first.

The classes helped a lot, so it might just be that it's easier for standard ending or that it's vafried enough to keep you pushing through.

Starkweather

Nov 28, 2017
switzerland
just picked this up on switch, loved the first one altough never beat it. seems like a good time to hop in with the latest patch called "The Fabled Heroes Update", its a joy to play so far, the perfect "Just One More Run" game.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I picked this up on the Switch almost blind on the basis that it's a very well regarded rogue-lite.
Plays like a dream, challenging but fair and each "run" is kept interesting with all the different classes and modifiers.
I have to wonder though, is it really classed as a rogue-lite? I'm still early in the game but I can see levelling outside runs, "permanently" defeated bosses, teleport portals to basically skip to wherever. Permadeath is a bit of a stretch for what happens when you die.
It feels more like a level based game where you can replay levels to grind exp/gold whatever.
It still is a lot of fun and I guess it doesn't matter in the end but I was expecting something closer to Dead Cells in terms of progression

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Ok, so I picked this up on the Switch almost blind on the basis that it's a very well regarded rogue-lite.
Plays like a dream, challenging but fair and each "run" is kept interesting with all the different classes and modifiers.
I have to wonder though, is it really classed as a rogue-lite? I'm still early in the game but I can see levelling outside runs, "permanently" defeated bosses, teleport portals to basically skip to wherever. Permadeath is a bit of a stretch for what happens when you die.
It feels more like a level based game where you can replay levels to grind exp/gold whatever.
It still is a lot of fun and I guess it doesn't matter in the end but I was expecting something closer to Dead Cells in terms of progression

It's a pretty lite one in that way.

The primary rogue element is that when your character dies it's gone for good. The persistent meta progression is the primary staple of Roguelites rather than Roguelikes, and you can't carry much money yhrough either (have to spend it at the end of each run).

I'm a big fan of roguelites, and this one has a huge number of QoL improvements to make the genre as accessible as possible.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Loved the first. Got to a point where I could clear that one in 5 heirs or fewer.

Just got the sequel on the Switch a few days ago, and while I like it a lot it feels a lot more grindy and character upgrades/progression is less clearly laid out.

I'm not sure why there are duplicate upgrades sections (just at a higher cost?) spread out. Like 2-3 different sections for upgrading strength.

Just seems less "neat" and makes revealing new upgrade sections feel less exciting.

Kinda feels like there's a little too many things to choose from and not enough resources to experiment without extreme grinding.

Might feel differently later on, but so far I prefer the original at least in that respect.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
just picked this up on switch, loved the first one altough never beat it. seems like a good time to hop in with the latest patch called "The Fabled Heroes Update", its a joy to play so far, the perfect "Just One More Run" game.
Any differences in docked/handheld performance?
I also loved the first (on Vita) but never beat it. Since the family got a Switch my options are opening up and I'm suddenly excited by the prospect of playing a new RL!

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Is Rogue Legacy 2 a good purchase for someone who didn't really like the first one? Idk, I played the first one years ago and I remember dropping it because it got too repetitive.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Is Rogue Legacy 2 a good purchase for someone who didn't really like the first one? Idk, I played the first one years ago and I remember dropping it because it got too repetitive.

I enjoyed but didn't finish the first game, but steamed through RL2 twice.

It's an excellent expansion on the foundation of the first game and feels better in basically every way.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Jul 26, 2022
I don't know if it's OK to bump this but since it's just released onto Playstation / PS+ I've just gotten around to playing it.

Is it just me or is it super grindy? It's been a long time, but I don't remember the first game being like this. About 14 hours in and I'm at the Stygian Study, it feels like I'm going on long runs to get gold for just two low-impact stat increases. It doesn't help that the biome is a bit of a clusterfuck.

Also I'm not sure about this resolve system. I have a lot of gear now but it feels like I can't use any of it because it drops my resolve and I won't be able to pick up any/many relics.

I can see areas of massive improvements over the first game, especially the art, character control, and classes, but I don't know if I can get past this feeling that it's turned into a slog.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's definitely grindier than the first game. Best advice I can give is to try and focus on expanding your castle and upgrading any stats for gold gain. I also think runes play a huge part so you should always invest in rune weight even if it's expensive. Always try to maximize health on your runs, too.

As someone who played for 100 hours, there will be runs that don't yield much progression. It happens. You kind of have to play the long game. It might sound crazy but for the first 10-20 hours there's a lot of delayed gratification.

Stygian Study is brutal but it's pretty great for getting gold. That said, it's best to go there when you're juiced up instead of just teleporting from the outset, at least at first. Try to have an excellent run through all the other biomes before going there. Yeah, it's a grind but you won't be obliterated the second you step into the place.

Last edited:

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
To me resolve is the most important resource, even late game. My current build always has a leather talisman for the resolve boost even with the highest end other armor.

RL2 is much easier than the first game and making runs that are wildly overpowered is pretty easy too. With all the new classes there's a wealth of choices but I'd say focus on 1-3. Valkyrie, Gunslinger and Astro ancer were my favorites but the other ones are ok too.

Don't worry about the alt jobs, they're....fine. but they are expensive because the currency is pretty limited especially early game.

Go for impairments that you can cope with, that will up your gold a lot. Something like the one that makes enemies blanked out gives you +70%. Max out the stat that ups that first too.

Anyway, I liked RL2 a lot and platinumed it. If it's not your groove then bounce but I think there's a lot there to enjoy.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
It's definitely grindier than the first game. Best advice I can give is to try and focus on expanding your castle and upgrading any stats for gold gain. I also think runes play a huge part so you should always invest in rune weight even if it's expensive.

As someone who played for 100 hours, there will be runs that don't yield much progression. It happens. You kind of have to play the long game.

True! Runes and speed boost made the game way more fun. Anything that increases mobility will increase survivability.

Jul 26, 2022
making runs that are wildly overpowered is pretty easy

I haven't had a single run which felt even slightly overpowered. I've no idea how to do that.

Anyway, I tried, put many more hours into it but I'm not feeling it. I think they made the same mistake as Spelunky 2 by cranking everything up too much and forgetting to make it fun for the average player. It certainly doesn't feel easier than the first game to me.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
If you're enjoying the gameplay but finding the progression a little slow or game a little tough then it might be worth looking at the house rules in the options menu. You can fairly heavily mod the enemy health and attack and starting resolve to get an experience that might be something more enjoyable.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
If you're enjoying the gameplay but finding the progression a little slow or game a little tough then it might be worth looking at the house rules in the options menu. You can fairly heavily mod the enemy health and attack and starting resolve to get an experience that might be something more enjoyable.
Totally agree, house rules can take a lot of the sting out of early game progression.

Jul 26, 2022

Yeah I just... have this thing about playing the intended experience. Cheats or easy mode, developer provided or not, just don't feel right to me.

Anyway despite what I said and despite initially uninstalling it, I couldn't stop myself from playing it! Done with the Stygian Study boss, only to find the Sun Tower even more of a clusterfuck 😅 well at least it feels fresh

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyway despite what I said and despite initially uninstalling it, I couldn't stop myself from playing it! Done with the Stygian Study boss, only to find the Sun Tower even more of a clusterfuck 😅 well at least it feels fresh
I mean, yeah. The game is infectious. It's grindy but it keeps pulling you back in. Perhaps that's what makes it a good Roguelite. Progress is slow one minute and quick the next. A bad run can be followed by a great run. Every little bit of progression matters. If your character is mobile and powerful, then other aspects of the game fall in line.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I mean, yeah. The game is infectious. It's grindy but it keeps pulling you back in. Perhaps that's what makes it a good Roguelite. Progress is slow one minute and quick the next. A bad run can be followed by a great run. Every little bit of progression matters. If your character is mobile and powerful, then other aspects of the game fall in line.

5 speed runes, +1 air dash, +2 jumps and you can run circles around most anything :)

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
They deserve the money but the dlc was just fine to me. It's more iterative than anything. Getting the full story and platinum was a great ride tho.

Jul 26, 2022
Any weapon/class which relies on aiming feels terrible on controller. Ranger and gunslinger for example. I really want to just play with the d-pad rather than analogue sticks so I try to avoid those as much as possible.

I like Duellist, Boxer, and Valkyrie. Ronin is great for clearing rooms but doesn't seem to have sustained DPS for bosses.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the game on PS5. Any quick guide for all the stats and things? Feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to keep heirlooms, runes, equipment, spells, class special attacks, etc. straight in my head.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm having way too much fun with this. I loved the first one, and RL2 has pretty much taken over my gaming time. I've beaten the third boss, and now I'm battling through the fourth zone.