Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
HOT TAKE ALERT
I think this is an example of Nintendo sometimes innovating for the sake of it.
A modern Wii Fit, using the switch or a step-counting joy con? I can really see my buying that and my wife and me using it. Especially if it came with an updated and more stylish balance board.

This? It looks like there's too much around the exercise. The RPG elements and more gamey stuff is a massive turn off to my wife. She doesn't want to battle creatures. She wants to check her weight, do some simple exercises and get help with some yoga/stretching. I kinda feel the same.

People say that exercise is boring and people need motivation, but Wii Fit sold a lot.
There is a straight workout mode and mini-games like Wii Fit. They are going for a new audience in combination with whoever they can pull back from the old Wii Fit days.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This was probably mentioned in a previous comment, but this has vitality sensor written all over it. Wouldn't doubt its corpse was dragged out for the heart rate monitoring function.

I'm sure this will have some market, but wonder if something like this will be drowned out in fitness apps on mobile. Seems like when Wii fit came out their were fewer options for this kind of thing. Now they are a dime a dozen. Probably need to get in on Instagram culture for success (think Beyoncé playing DS).

Also, that's gentleman's annunciation game was on point.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks but I'll play Death Stranding with a 80kg backpack instead.

Joke aside, I'm not sure the public for wiifit and a jrpg intersects that much? But that's Nintendo, so the market doesn't exist? We create it!

You are joking but now I'm thinking about how one of the devs from Iron Galaxy or Panic Button disclosed that they turned away 3rd parties interested in someone making bespoke versions of their AAA games for the Switch and I would be down for Death Strandfit.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
HOT TAKE ALERT
A modern Wii Fit, using the switch or a step-counting joy con? I can really see my buying that and my wife and me using it. Especially if it came with an updated and more stylish balance board.

This? It looks like there's too much around the exercise. The RPG elements and more gamey stuff is a massive turn off to my wife. She doesn't want to battle creatures. She wants to check her weight, do some simple exercises and get help with some yoga/stretching. I kinda feel the same.

People say that exercise is boring and people need motivation, but Wii Fit sold a lot.

You can use quick plays and exercises without the adventure mode.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
giphy.gif

Me trying to watch those hosts.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, doesn't change the fact that, as of now, it's a missed opportunity. I might get it, but I'm sure it's gonna be expensive as fuck here, like $140 expensive probably.
Nah it's not a missed opportunity. If Warioware comes and it's not compatible I'll call that a missed opportunity. New IP's are better.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm down for this. They even took into account having to be silent for people in apartments and stuff but can still work out and it doesn't look like a half measure. Still hoping there's a Wii Fit trainer easter egg somewhere but I like this and Wii Fit actually worked pretty well for me while I was in school.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It remind me of an extended version of the sword minigame in Wii Sports Resort just with turn based RPG battles. I'm in

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely a hot take. You're completely disregarding that the Wii and Switch audiences aren't the same. While the Wii audience was conditioned to games like Wii Fit, that might be light on the gameplay and more on just the motion, and the Wii was cheap enough that people could conceivably buy it for just a few experiences and feel their purchase was justified the Switch is completely different. The audiences are generally more "core" gamers and at $300 it's not a purchase most people would justify just to play a fitness game. The RPG elements make sense in this regard

Your overall point is correct but let's not forget people were willing to spend 350 for Wii Fit by itself.

It isn't even Nintendo first getting into this gameification of exercise racket. I already have seen quite few apps on the android store that try to bring RPG and loot whoring elements into exercising. Nintendo is only the first to try to charge $80 for the experience.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
HOT TAKE ALERT

Yeah my mom sent me her wii fit cause she never used it. I tried it and then it gathered dust. I think this was a common story with the wii fit. I think some people were hoping it was more than just a workout when that is all it really was. Was a workout and it's felt like for people who would workout for workout sake. Not for those who were looking for a way to Make the workout fun and a game.

This may not be for you and your wife but I'm willing to bet it will hit a note with many people. Probably the same who got bored quick with the wii fit.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Cheesy video but looks like a fun way to get some exercise in after a long day at work. I think I'm sold on this.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried these kinds of rings? Are they impossible to break? And can you change the settings to be a good workout even if you're really fit?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This is the opposite of what I personally want from Nintendo, but fortunately these little goofball peripherals don't seem to distract them at all from delivering the kinds of games I do want, so no big deal and hopefully people enjoy this one.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Read the title at first as RegiFit Adventure for some reason and thought of Reggie

Imagine if it was an RPG with Reggie as your guide, his voice soothing you as you work to ready your body and shed the feeling of being a purple pikmin

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
First of all.

This dude. Might contest with my Avatar even.

Screen_5_copy.jpg

Then some awesome quotes

Out-of-Breath of the Wild?
Definitely the OT Title here.

I think I've twigged on the vibe I've been getting from it - and it's a game that, despite me being horribly unfit, I've always loved:

PWveh4j.png

The only arcade game I've ever 1CCed.

If it's a game that can give me the same "Okay, I'm exhausted, but I've just had an awesome time, and I know I can improve if I do it again" feel to Prop Cycle, it's going to be right up my street.

That's a big if, mind!
One of the greatest. I loved this game. There was a section in our regular arcade only for weird fitness arcade games that we spent probably more money than otherwise combined.

Era speedrun Challenge.

That's just... Pilates.
It is. It is the same thing that my physiotherapist did. I couldn't be bothered with the pilates and deep stretch materials I was supposed to do so she introduced me to something called Firetraining, which I actually enjoyed quite a bit recovering from something.

And here is the twist, Firefraining EXACTLY the same as pilates and deep stretching, but branded differently. It is for men who are too goddamn stupid and stubborn to do pilates.

That's the thing. Branding.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
From the Verge:

I played through multiple sections of the game earlier this week, and the most surprising thing was how expansive and cohesive the experience felt. Yes, it's exhausting and will make you sweat, but it's also a large, fleshed-out adventure at the same time.
  • Exhausting; will make you sweat
  • Large, fleshed-out adventure
I would have taken either of those, so I guess I'm sold.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm totally in for this. What a cool idea.

Nintendo needs to stop with their pandering delivery though in these videos. I remember in the latest direct they were talking about that Kirby game and said something along the lines of

"You can play solo, with friends, or even online!"

Like, online co-op is some new, fresh concept that we're so psyched about. Even if you try to excuse it as these Directs are geared towards a younger audience, that's almost even worse. Kids expect online play in everything. It's a given. GAH!

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Do people really get fit with that kind of stuff?
Real talk, I've lost 105 pounds in eight months, from doing Wii Fit every day since Christmas.

I'm in constant disbelief that this actually worked for me, and am super curious to check out RingFit. I do hope it lets you make a personalize set though, since that's what I use in Wii Fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.