Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really cool. Had no clue what this was going to be but this is pretty imaginative. Want to pick one up.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This looks great but that dude gives off some serious serial killer vibes.

Also, the right joycon can measure your heart rate? That thing continues to surprise me.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
This looks great imo. It's a great way to make exercise approachable for kids, or to "game-ify" exercise for those who are apathetic toward fitness in the gym (like myself)

I can definitely see myself picking this up.

Hoping the price isn't too outrageous for what is ostensibly a plastic ring and a cloth strap.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The Verge said:
(Nintendo says that the dragon was designed to represent the negative aspects of gym culture, like ultra competitiveness. In other words, he's a fantastical bro.)
This is pretty good, haha.

I wish the trailer had a slightly less off-putting vibe to it, as I think this is a great idea. Hopefully this takes off.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I love the idea but working out in front of your tv makes your room stink. I suppose I can consider if you take this to the gym, terrace.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great imo. It's a great way to make exercise approachable for kids, or to "game-ify" exercise for those who are apathetic toward fitness in the gym (like myself)

Hoping the price isn't too outrageous for what is ostensibly a plastic ring and a cloth strap.

$79.99 for the game and accessories.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts:

• Looks way more ambitious than I was expecting. EPD finally made a new core single player IP (right Dark Cloud ?!)
  • I still maintain that adding an online battle royale mode to this somehow would be genius. It would keep people coming back for a long, long time after finishing the single player adventure.
  • My mind is blown that the IR sensor on the right joycon can measure your heart rate
  • I think I'm actually going to get this. I wish I could somehow use a voucher and get the accessories separately but that doesn't seem to be possible.
This is the type of game I've asked for. It doesn't have to necessarily be a huge game, but I wanted something focused on the core and a single player game. This has a good mix to it. A Fitness game + Final Fantasy.

Oct 26, 2017
EEQ7huAXkAAnirx.jpg

Dark Swoles

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's $80.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Let me play Breath of the Wild exclusively with the Ring-Con please Nintendo.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I am definitely interested in this personally. Looking at the answers from the 8 pages thus far there is cautious optimism and curiosity.

Something I would NOT have expected.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
I'll definitely pick this up. The extra chub I'll accumulate playing Borderlands 3 for far too long makes me shudder to think about.

I'm more interested in the tech behind the androids in the video, though. They're so lifelike! That's some real uncanny valley shit

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm really excited for this, fitness and rpgs are my two favorite things in the world lmao.

I hope there's some sort of time trials, like, depending on how fast you are "jogging" you finish the level faster. It's a neat way to measure progress.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's neat. Didn't realize IR cold be leveraged like that.

Me neither, but it makes perfect sense. Blood generates heat which in turn generates IR radiation, which is basically how heat vision works. I guess they managed to calibrate it so well that it can sense the rapid flow of blood through a vessel.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone here used a resistance ring like that before?

I have zero doubt that one could burn mad calories and lose a lot o weight playing this.

What about those of us interested in putting on a few pounds of muscle? Is there enough resistance here to actually wear the muscles out?
^ This. Any opinions, guys?
I guess we will have to see what the resistance is actually like. I use bands for home muscle building exercises, but have multiple resistance levels and other equipment to simulate the feeling of more weight. I am doubtful this will provide enough to actually build muscle as they don't want to make it impossible for most people. Would certainly be helpful for toning and sculpting though.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
This looks surprisingly great, and visually stunning. Wonder which team is working on this?

Hope it sells well for the holidays. Stay weird Nintendo.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
HOT TAKE ALERT
I think this is an example of Nintendo sometimes innovating for the sake of it.
A modern Wii Fit, using the switch or a step-counting joy con? I can really see my buying that and my wife and me using it. Especially if it came with an updated and more stylish balance board.

This? It looks like there's too much around the exercise. The RPG elements and more gamey stuff is a massive turn off to my wife. She doesn't want to battle creatures. She wants to check her weight, do some simple exercises and get help with some yoga/stretching. I kinda feel the same.

People say that exercise is boring and people need motivation, but Wii Fit sold a lot.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Anyone seeing preorder stuff for this on Amazon UK or the like? Would like to order the hardware separately and the game digitally.
just preordered this on shopto.net, could only find the bundle on there but maybe other options are hidden elsewhere.

£47ish for the game and hardware isn't bad at all. heck, if i lose weight then it's priceless.

That's odd. What combination of their sensors allows them to do this?
it's the IR sensor apparently.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HOT TAKE ALERT
A modern Wii Fit, using the switch or a step-counting joy con? I can really see my buying that and my wife and me using it. Especially if it came with an updated and more stylish balance board.

This? It looks like there's too much around the exercise. The RPG elements and more gamey stuff is a massive turn off to my wife. She doesn't want to battle creatures. She wants to check her weight, do some simple exercises and get help with some yoga/stretching. I kinda feel the same.

People say that exercise is boring and people need motivation, but Wii Fit sold a lot.
There are other modes just for exercising. You don't have to do the adventure mode.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This looks surprisingly great, and visually stunning. Wonder which team is working on this?

Hope it sells well for the holidays. Stay weird Nintendo.

I *think* Emily said it was the Labo team at EPD. I'm not sure if that came from her or someone assuming that's what she said or what but it's probably a good bet.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HOT TAKE ALERT

Funnily enough, the gamey bits are exactly what are going to get my girlfriend on board, just like Zombie Run made her start jogging.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
The RPG elements and more gamey stuff is a massive turn off to my wife. She doesn't want to battle creatures. She wants to check her weight, do some simple exercises and get help with some yoga/stretching. I kinda feel the same.

The latter portions of the video shows off the non-game-y modes you can try to do exercises

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Do remember that the JoyCon has data pins, so the heart sensor is probably new (Edit: Nevermind. Yeah, IR/cameras have been able to do this for quite some time. Early "heart rate" apps on phones involved putting your finger over the camera and turning the flash LED on), same with all of the FSRs they're probably using.

The joycon itself is having it's functionality expanded by the electronics and sensors in the ring, and is probably only really used for connecting to the switch and menu navigation.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
Thanks but I'll play Death Stranding with a 80kg backpack instead.

Joke aside, I'm not sure the public for wiifit and a jrpg intersects that much? But that's Nintendo, so the market doesn't exist? We create it!

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You don't need to do any of the RPG stuff, you can completely ignore the main game if you want. It even says in the video if you want to just jump right in and do some exercises there is a section specifically for that.

Oct 27, 2017
HOT TAKE ALERT

Definitely a hot take. You're completely disregarding that the Wii and Switch audiences aren't the same. While the Wii audience was conditioned to games like Wii Fit, that might be light on the gameplay and more on just the motion, and the Wii was cheap enough that people could conceivably buy it for just a few experiences and feel their purchase was justified the Switch is completely different. The audiences are generally more "core" gamers and at $300 it's not a purchase most people would justify just to play a fitness game. The RPG elements make sense in this regard

Status
Not open for further replies.