• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad to see people still have no idea what a monopoly is as defined by the Clayton Act, the Sherman Act, and the HHI. I'm also glad to see that people don't know that there are instances where one cannot argue a monopoly such as owning IPs. You cannot have a monopoly on IPs by the very definition of the word.

This is a preemptive preparation by Roberts and CMCSA if the T/TWX merger goes through with few to no concessions next month. I honestly feel CMCSA would have won the original all stock bid if they had given in and offered a 2.5B breakup fee if regulators blocked the deal like Disney did. Their bid was 16% higher. I feel CMCSA will have to have an even higher bid if it's all cash (and not stock like FOX's board wanted from Disney. Remember, Disney originally had a mostly cash offer that was rejected).

The scenario could play out like this, Judge Leon approves the T/TWX deal with no concessions next month, Roberts and the board offer a ~25-30% premium over Disney's offer for FOX with a 2.5B break up fee. They will also have to offer to pay Fox's 1.5B break up fee to Disney. Under such a hypothetical offer, I don't see how Fox's shareholders don't change their mind like Sky shareholders did.

Me personally, I would have to take a look at the offer. Comcast has a fiduciary duty to their shareholders and I'm a little iffy on the logistics of this offer they might be cooking up. Depending on what the offer is I'll sell my CMCSA shares. If the offer is something like the above, I'll use my 0,00001% voting rights in FOX to vote for CMCSA's offer because I put my money in the stock market to make money. The fan in me though would prefer Disney to get it.

That's literally showing Marvel + DC != 91% in retail or dollar marketshare in the comic book market. It wouldn't really matter if they did in this day and age though.

People act like the guy who comes late to install your cable box and charges you $35 is going to be calling the creative shots at Fox.

I don't see either being ideal though. Wouldn't Disney control like 90% of the box office? They've already made Star Wars into some annoying non-stop property.

Not even close. And it goes back together to people not knowing what a monopoly is as defined by the law.

This was posted back in May 2nd and basically broke what was announced "exclusively" by Reuters:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/comcast-ceo-wants-fox-assets-disney-is-purchasing-gasparino

Basically, this seems almost like Comcast is forcing the judge's hand to NOT approve Time Warner's deal as is. This might mean something even crazier here, so I will throw an wild guess. It makes no sense for Comcast to announce this NOW. It sort of presses the judge on the AT&T WB deal to oppose sanctions to avoid big monopolies. What if... what if that's what Comcast is actually aiming for?

Let me explain: one of the alternatives that could happen with the WB and AT&T deal is that the judge rules that WB is too big as it is and it needs to be sold in parts. What if Comcast is forcing the hand of the judge so a compromise like that is made and they give up on 21st Century Fox but go all in for WB Pictures and DC Comics, for example? That's probably non-sense, but Comcast announcing this NOW and not after the ruling is done seems like almost they are playing a different game here and not actually going for 21st Century Fox.

Warner Brothers has been an afterthought in this deal. Any divestment required will be Tuner and/or HBO. ATT will be able to purchase WB without a problem.

Oct 28, 2017
Hard to say, but basically Nintendo's deal with Universal's theme park lead to them making a movie deal. Rich Moore was very open about getting Mario in Wreck-It Ralph's sequel, and obviously that isn't happening.

Shame. The entire movie was a love letter to Nintendo. One should hope that Illumination can match that passion.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Warner Brothers has been an afterthought in this deal. Any divestment required will be Tuner and/or HBO. ATT will be able to purchase WB without a problem.

Here's my point: it won't be as easy as you people think. Also, Comcast announcing this now doesn't make that ruling any easier. Leon is quite aware of what is at stake. I'd argue that if Comcast wanted Fox so bad, they'd wait for the ruling to spread the news. They did not, which makes me think that there's something else at play here.

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't quote me, but aren't the Marvel character IP's non-transferable? I'd hate Comcast get the whole kit and kaboodle, but if Fox does decide to sell to them the rights would automatically revert over to Disney, which is the reason most people care about with this deal in the first place.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Don't quote me, but aren't the Marvel character IP's non-transferable? I'd hate Comcast get the whole kit and kaboodle, but if Fox does decide to sell to them the rights would automatically revert over to Disney, which is the reason most people care about with this deal in the first place.

I have heard this as well but I have no idea how legit it is.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

I'm quite sure that Marvel would get the rights either way. But I care about this because Comcast sucks and we don't need them to have all the power they want. They would become the biggest media conglomerate out there, instead of TW / AT&T if the deal is closed as is - which I doubt.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see people still have no idea what a monopoly is as defined by the Clayton Act, the Sherman Act, and the HHI. I'm also glad to see that people don't know that there are instances where one cannot argue a monopoly such as owning IPs. You cannot have a monopoly on IPs by the very definition of the word.

This is a preemptive preparation by Roberts and CMCSA if the T/TWX merger goes through with few to no concessions next month. I honestly feel CMCSA would have won the original all stock bid if they had given in and offered a 2.5B breakup fee if regulators blocked the deal like Disney did. Their bid was 16% higher. I feel CMCSA will have to have an even higher bid if it's all cash (and not stock like FOX's board wanted from Disney. Remember, Disney originally had a mostly cash offer that was rejected).

The scenario could play out like this, Judge Leon approves the T/TWX deal with no concessions next month, Roberts and the board offer a ~25-30% premium over Disney's offer for FOX with a 2.5B break up fee. They will also have to offer to pay Fox's 1.5B break up fee to Disney. Under such a hypothetical offer, I don't see how Fox's shareholders don't change their mind like Sky shareholders did.

Me personally, I would have to take a look at the offer. Comcast has a fiduciary duty to their shareholders and I'm a little iffy on the logistics of this offer they might be cooking up. Depending on what the offer is I'll sell my CMCSA shares. If the offer is something like the above, I'll use my 0,00001% voting rights in FOX to vote for CMCSA's offer because I put my money in the stock market to make money. The fan in me though would prefer Disney to get it.

That's literally showing Marvel + DC != 91% in retail or dollar marketshare in the comic book market. It wouldn't really matter if they did in this day and age though.

Not even close. And it goes back together to people not knowing what a monopoly is as defined by the law.

I think there is a disconnect at play with the legal criteria and how the term is used in a layman sense.

And you're right that Marvel and DC don't control 91% of the market, mb. Though they do hover in the 75+% range. I'd still say that there is a difference though If it was open season (even pre MCU) you'd have different offers being made for Marvel and DC property adaptations versus Valiant or Boom!.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Very hard to say. I see this brought up a lot but no one knows for sure. Marvel wasn't very smart when selling their film rights off in the 90's. Technically they never sold Spider-Man to Sony, and it ended up there over time.

Oct 31, 2017
Here's my point: it won't be as easy as you people think. Also, Comcast announcing this now doesn't make that ruling any easier. Leon is quite aware of what is at stake. I'd argue that if Comcast wanted Fox so bad, they'd wait for the ruling to spread the news. They did not, which makes me think that there's something else at play here.

That's a strawman argument. WB has been barely mentioned in this hearing. It's mostly Turner and HBO.

Evidence points to the rights being transferable.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
To all the people saying marvel rights will be reverted, the rights can only be reverted if the company aka fox in this scenario ceases to exist or willingly give up the rights. If Comcast buys fox and reinstates it as fox itself in some sort of sub-company or subsidiary of comcast then it will withhold all rights of the marvel chars. If they completely dissolve fox with its assets then and only then will the characters come back to marvel aka to the lord and savior Kevin Feige.

numble

Oct 25, 2017

I'm quite sure that Marvel would get the rights either way. But I care about this because Comcast sucks and we don't need them to have all the power they want. They would become the biggest media conglomerate out there, instead of TW / AT&T if the deal is closed as is - which I doubt.

Fox obtained the Fantastic Four and Deadpool rights from other studios, so that indicates it is transferable.

Universal retained the Hulk and Namor movie distribution rights, and the East Coast theme park rights even after being acquired by Comcast. So that indicates they can be retained in a merger/acquisition.

The Disney-Fox plan of merger is to have Fox separate the unwanted assets and for Fox to be acquired as a separate subsidiary, so if Comcast followed the same plan, it wouldn't even require an actual transfer from the legal owner as 21st Century Fox would remain a separate entity owned by Comcast.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
That's a strawman argument. WB has been barely mentioned in this hearing. It's mostly Turner and HBO.
It's not about a strawman argument. This Comcast move doesn't make sense when it comes to Disney and 21st Century Fox. What actually does is to put a pressure on the AT&T / Time Warner judge on how to proceed with the merger. That could result on TW being sold separately what would throw a monkey wrench once again on a possible Comcast buyout for 21st Century Fox BUT would open the road for Comcast to buy small but important parts of Comcast. Basically, whatever happens, Comcast wins when it comes to becoming bigger. Either by taking parts of Fox or TW.

Evidence points to the rights being transferable.

Actually, it does not. Marvel, before it was owned by Disney sold the movie and animation rights of the X-Men and F4 to Fox. But to Fox, not to a different studio. A buyout would mean that Universal gets everything... but the X-Men and F4. I'm quite sure of that.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about a strawman argument. This Comcast move doesn't make sense when it comes to Disney and 21st Century Fox. What actually does is to put a pressure on the AT&T / Time Warner judge on how to proceed with the merger. That could result on TW being sold separately what would throw a monkey wrench once again on a possible Comcast buyout for 21st Century Fox BUT would open the road for Comcast to buy small but important parts of Comcast. Basically, whatever happens, Comcast wins when it comes to becoming bigger. Either by taking parts of Fox or TW.

Actually, it does not. Marvel, before it was owned by Disney sold the movie and animation rights of the X-Men and F4 to Fox. But to Fox, not to a different studio. A buyout would mean that Universal gets everything... but the X-Men and F4. I'm quite sure of that.
Marvel sold the F4 rights to Constantine and Constantine sold them to Fox. I'm quite sure of that.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. But there are clauses among that deal that would avoid F4 to get transferred. Same for DP. I'm quite sure of that. Same clauses with DD, GR and the X-Men.

How come Hulk's distribution rights and Namor's film rights were transferred to Comcast? With that logic, it should have went back to Disney unless Universal's contract was different.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Comcast already owns media assets. This is NBCUniversal becoming even larger. Just like Disney is trying to do.
Go Comcast.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. But there are clauses among that deal that would avoid F4 to get transferred. Same for DP. I'm quite sure of that. Same clauses with DD, GR and the X-Men.
There is no indication that such clauses exist. I'm quite sure of that. Daredevil rights were transferred from Sony to Fox, so they definitely allowed for Daredevil rights to be transferred. Ghostrider was transferred from Dimension to Sony, so they definitely allowed for Ghostrider rights to be transferred.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
How come Hulk's distribution rights were transferred to Comcast? With that logic, it should have went back to Disney unless Universal's contract was different.

Hulk's deal was different than the ones that Fox has. Also, OLDER. A lot older. Also, here's evidence that inform you that the deal with Hulk - and Namor, mind you - are a lot different than the ones for F4 and X-Men characters, including DP:

Marvel regained the film production rights to the Hulk in 2005, after Universal's license of the character lapsed due to failure to enter production on a sequel to 2003's Ang Lee film Hulk. In February 2006, Morton Handel --- then-chairman of Marvel Entertainment -- said during an earnings report announcement, "Several watershed events in 2005 have set the stage for the next phase of Marvel's growth. ... We are actively working on scripts for Captain America, Ant-Man and Nick Fury... In addition, the rights for Hulk and Iron Man reverted back to Marvel." Later in 2006, Marvel successfully regained the film production rights to Captain America and Thor as well.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...hts-fans-can-relax-about-sequel/#65e0e8ad1916

Like I've said, I'm adamant sure that the deal for F4 (via Constantin) and X-Men (directly with 21st Cent Fox) are different than the ones for Hulk and Namor. Constatin got bought? Rights to first deal to produce F4 still with Fox. Fox got bought? Rights to "produce" the film get reverted to Marvel.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There is no indication that such clauses exist. I'm quite sure of that. Daredevil rights were transferred from Sony to Fox, so they definitely allowed for Daredevil rights to be transferred. Ghostrider was transferred from Dimension to Sony, so they definitely allowed for Ghostrider rights to be transferred.

Well aware. But Marvel had to AGREE with that. Marvel wouldn't agree with the terms and they could easily revert the rights in a case of a buyout of Fox by anyone other than Disney. Here's what happens: F4 and X-Men only don't comeback if 21st Century Fox stays as is. Marvel won't agree with a transfer any longer because well, duh. Disney buy Fox or Fox gets bought by any other party: rights go back to Marvel because they wouldn't agree with a transfer. Back then Marvel wasn't in the game of making films and was recovering from a bankruptcy. It was a different game, in a different time.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Well aware. But Marvel had to AGREE with that. Marvel wouldn't agree with the terms and they could easily revert the rights in a case of a buyout of Fox by anyone other than Disney. Here's what happens: F4 and X-Men only don't comeback if 21st Century Fox stays as is. Marvel won't agree with a transfer any longer because well, duh. Disney buy Fox or Fox gets bought by any other party: rights go back to Marvel because they wouldn't agree with a transfer. Back then Marvel wasn't in the game of making films and was recovering from a bankruptcy. It was a different game, in a different time.
There isn't any indication Marvel needs to agree to it. The X-Men contract was in 1993, the newer Spider-Man contract of 1999 shows Sony does not need Marvel's agreement to transfer rights: https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvel-sony-spiderman-contracts.13589/

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Comcast is such a great provider, Comcast customers stay winning.
What does their ISP business have to do with NBCUniversal? They have been a great owner of media assets since the acquisition. NBCUniversal under General Electric was in terrible shape before Comcast.

The media landscape is heading toward consolidation. If they have the means to do it, I see no reason why I should prefer Disney getting larger over NBCU, outside of pure fanboyism. The fear of what Comcast could do isn't that much of a deterrent for me.

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Zero chance Comcast could get away with 60 Billion in cash.

And Another Comcast thread filled with people who don't know what a fucking monopoly is or what it means.

I'm shocked /s

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There isn't any indication Marvel needs to agree to it. The X-Men contract was in 1993, the newer Spider-Man contract of 1999 shows Sony does not need Marvel's agreement to transfer rights: https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvel-sony-spiderman-contracts.13589/

All the deals are different. And I'll leave at that. I'm not trying to convince you and I can't throw you proof. I'm quite sure that the rights get reverted if Fox is bought. It's not about "transferring" the rights, btw. Also, I'm quite sure that Sony couldn't transfer the rights to a different studio in the case of a buyout either. I've read the Sony contracts direct from the source.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
All the deals are different. And I'll leave at that. I'm not trying to convince you and I can't throw you proof. I'm quite sure that the rights get reverted if Fox is bought. It's not about "transferring" the rights, btw. Also, I'm quite sure that Sony couldn't transfer the rights to a different studio in the case of a buyout either. I've read the Sony contracts direct from the source.
Please show where in the Sony contract it says Sony couldn't transfer the rights to a different studio. I'm quite sure the contract says Sony can transfer the rights at any time. I'm a lawyer and I've read the contracts directly from the source.

SPE shall be free to assign or license any or all of its rights hereunder, and/or to delegate any or all of its duties, obligations and liabilities, at any time and from time to time, to any person or entity, and upon such assignment, SPE shall be released and discharged of and from the delegated duties, obligations and liabilities if such assignment and/or delegation is to: (i) a person or entity into which SPE merges or is consolidated or (ii) a person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of SPE's business and assets and which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iii) a financially responsible entity which is controlled by, under common control with, or controls SPE which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iv) a "Major Studio" (i.e., and expressly defined as limited to: Warner Bros., Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, or Dreamworks) or United States television network, which assumes such obligations in writing.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Please show where in the Sony contract it says Sony couldn't transfer the rights to a different studio. I'm quite sure the contract says Sony can transfer the rights at any time. I'm a lawyer and I've read the contracts directly from the source.

They can transfer the rights. They cannot transfer the rights in a case of a buyout. Take that as you will. Useless discussion and all I can say is that I have seen actual proof that's actual the case.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
They can transfer the rights. They cannot transfer the rights in a case of a buyout. Take that as you will. Useless discussion and all I can say is that I have seen actual proof that's actual the case.
It's not a useless discussion. The actual contract says they can transfer the rights in a buyout:

SPE shall be free to assign or license any or all of its rights hereunder, and/or to delegate any or all of its duties, obligations and liabilities, at any time and from time to time, to any person or entity, and upon such assignment, SPE shall be released and discharged of and from the delegated duties, obligations and liabilities if such assignment and/or delegation is to: (i) a person or entity into which SPE merges or is consolidated or (ii) a person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of SPE's business and assets and which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iii) a financially responsible entity which is controlled by, under common control with, or controls SPE which assumes such obligations in writing, or (iv) a "Major Studio" (i.e., and expressly defined as limited to: Warner Bros., Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, or Dreamworks) or United States television network, which assumes such obligations in writing.

Oct 31, 2017
BTIG did a piece on this that is very interesting. I'll copy and paste the relevant parts here:

"Key considerations driving this conclusion included the difficult set of regulatory issues in a potential strategic transaction with Party B given (1) the DOJ's unanticipated opposition to the proposed vertical integration of the AT&T / Time Warner transaction, (2) Party B's asset mix, (3) 21CF's own prior regulatory submissions and (4) Party B's proposed contractual allocation of regulatory risk, including, but not limited to, the fact that Party B remained unwilling to offer a reverse termination fee despite repeated requests by 21CF and its representatives. In addition, 21CF management noted that, under Party B's proposal, divestitures would result in a reduction of the overall return to 21CF stockholders through a reduction of the purchase price paid by Party B and an increase in the additional tax costs for New Fox."

"Disney being a better strategic fit, with greater cost synergies and more opportunities for innovation, and the relative attractiveness of the resulting equity currency in a combined Disney-21CF.

Let's think through each of the five issues raised above:

1) No Longer Applies. We are assume the unanticipated regulatory opposition is now a non-issue assuming the DoJ loses in court vis-a-vis AT&T Time Warner.

2) Unchanged, but could be eliminated by offering all-cash so Fox shareholders would not own any of what Fox considered a less attractive asset mix (however, worth noting that the supposedly less attractive asset mix of Comcast has meaningfully outperformed Disney over the past three years with Comcast up 13% and Disney down 9%).

3) Unclear why this is a real issue as we suspect it relates to comments Fox made to the DoJ/FCC during the failed Comcast Time Warner Cable merger. Comcast/Time Warner Cable was about increasing Comcast's horizontal broadband scale. Comcast/Fox is primarily a vertical merger domestically and horizontal/vertical overseas (where US regulatory oversight does not apply). Domestically, the combination of Comcast/Fox cable networks would still be collectively less powerful than Disney's current, pre-transaction array of cable networks. We continue to believe there is less regulatory risk in a Comcast/Fox transaction than a Disney/Fox transaction (as we detailed in December 2017, link), with Disney/Fox highly likely to lead to higher prices for consumers, bigger, bloated bundles and less industry innovation.

To be fair, it is possible that Fox filed confidential comments against the merger of AT&T Time Warner that could be used against them in a Comcast/Fox transaction. That being said, if the court rules in favor of AT&T Time Warner it would appear to be a non-issue for Comcast/Fox.

4) Comcast needs to be willing to take on the regulatory risk. If we assume AT&T Time Warner closes and with the help of the President Trump/Rupert Murdoch close relationship (link), we have to believe Comcast would be willing to bear far more regulatory risk than when they contemplated this transaction in 2017 and that Comcast would be willing to pay a multi-billion reverse break-up fee if the transaction fails.

5) Synergies. Given that the single largest asset being acquired in Fox/Sky acquisiton is Sky, a distribution platform that Disney has no operational or management knowledge of, it is unclear how synergies with Disney could be larger than Comcast. Disney is forecasting at least $2 billion of cost synergies from the Fox transaction and over $1.3 billion of revenue synergies. If those forecasts are reasonable, Comcast's synergies should be able to reach $4 billion, helped by the combination/integration of Comcast Cable and Sky.

Can Comcast Buy Fox?

Assuming Comcast is allowed to buy all of the Fox assets that Disney is trying to buy (to be fair, neither company may legally be allowed to own more RSNs), we believe Comcast's best path to winning is an all-cash offer at a significant premium to Disney's all-stock offer. An all-cash offer eliminates the governance issues that the Murdoch's feared and the perceived less attractive Comcast currency issue, albeit, we view that as a fairy tale vs. reality.

We believe Comcast could offer a 25% premium to Disney's bid for Fox's assets with a similar $2.5 billion reverse break-up fee to cover regulatory risk. Comcast would need to be willing to take leverage above 4x temporarily as the company rapidly delevers. We have assumed Comcast immediately suspends its share buyback plan, but keeps its current dividend in place. With no synergies, we estimate Comcast would end 2019 at about 3.75x leverage (deal would not even close until mid-2019 at the earliest). On a pro-forma basis with synergies, leverage would be below 3.5x (will take a couple years for cost and revenue synergies to materialize). With free cash flow of over $13 billion per year, Comcast's leverage would fall to about 3x with synergies by the end of 2020. With an all-cash bid, meaningful synergies and moving leverage higher, the transaction should be meaningfully accretive to Comcast. Worth noting, if Fox was willing to take 25% of the transaction value in stock, proforma leverage would be 2.5x by the end of 2020.

Also worth noting that an all-cash transaction at a 25% premium to Disney's bid would mean that Comcast would be assuming $26 billion of debt and raising an additional $82 billion of debt, bringing total net debt to nearly $170 billion pro forma. That sounds like a nearly impossible level of debt to sustain. However, consider first that AT&T Time Warner will have $135 billion of net debt if the deal closes and Verizon currently has $117 billion of net debt. Second, a combined Comcast/Fox/Sky would generate $13 billion a year of free cash flow, so net debt by the end of 2020 would drop to below $130 billion – essentially in line with a combined AT&T Time Warner.

While a Comcast acquisition of Fox is surely challenging financially, Comcast has never shied away from a challenge, especially when it means getting bigger, even when they have ultimately failed. We suspect the opportunity to buy Fox is simply too compelling for Comcast to ignore (a.k.a. "The Insatiable Roberts Family"). Summer 2018 is going to be very, very exciting in media land.

A 25% premium would suggest a 170B in debt for the pro forma company. A very risky proposition even if the new pro forma could generate 13B in free cash flow.

Unless the 2015 deal amended the contract to change that section, numble is right. I posted the contract on this forum some time ago. The rights to Spider-Man were transferable as of the 2011 deal. There's no reason to think the deal with Fox is any different especially when the deal with MCA for the theme park right is also transferable.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The rights are transferable, but that doesn't matter cuz Disney ain't letting this happen.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does their ISP business have to do with NBCUniversal? They have been a great owner of media assets since the acquisition. NBCUniversal under General Electric was in terrible shape before Comcast.

The media landscape is heading toward consolidation. If they have the means to do it, I see no reason why I should prefer Disney getting larger over NBCU, outside of pure fanboyism. The fear of what Comcast could do isn't that much of a deterrent for me.

You see no huge conflict of interest once net neutrality goes bye bye, which Comcast championed and "fast lanes" are created for Comcast owned subsidiaries?

What's them to stop giving access to other ISPs free charge to log onto say NBC.com from their "tubes"
Hell they can create Comcast Netflix, only through Comcast ISP/Cable provider usage

So if your not in Comcast no way to get the content

Don't think these what if scenarios can't happen
Give these guys an inch, they'll want a mile instead

Just look what they did to get NN to get fucked over. We may not feel it now, but down the line when merges and everything else take place and shapes up, it's gonna be annoying as fuck being piecemeal into those archaic Mobile price tiers of internet and what content get boosted and sidelined

Remember TMobile and their Netflix free streaming not counting against your cap
Now mold that the most sleaziest way possible times 50 and add absurd pricing and fast lanes, that's what you get

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018

It's not a useless discussion. The actual contract says they can transfer the rights in a buyout:

giphy.gif

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Interesting take from allegedly a Fox shareholder. Also, I've heard that with stock the deal would be non-taxable, and definitely taxable if it was with money. I still don't think this is happening, and I'm starting to believe that Fox might not even be able to negotiate a better deal with Disney out of this.

I wish you were right but all signs point to you being wrong.
I'm not. Can't give receipts, but I am not.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Wouldn't this technically be illegal on comcasts part. Since the deal with Disney is still undergoing regulation.I don't think the DOJ would let this happen until after the current deal has been regulated.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Comcast's actually been pretty good for NBC Universal, so I'd rather see them get Fox than Disney.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The rights are transferable, but that doesn't matter cuz Disney ain't letting this happen.

Disney can only raise their offer so far until it stops making sense from a business standpoint. Comcast is just that much larger compared to Disney. After how the 2016 election went down I wouldn't even be surprised if a Comcast-Fox deal was approved, which is disgusting to me.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Disney can only raise their offer so far until it stops making sense from a business standpoint. Comcast is just that much larger compared to Disney. After how the 2016 election went down I wouldn't even be surprised if a Comcast-Fox deal was approved, which is disgusting to me.
I know that, but it seems like Comcast is still not willing to pay a break up fee or to pay the 12 bi debt that Fox have.

it just looks like a desperate move from Comcast.