• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
This is actually the substance of the agreement as recently as 2011. They amended it in 2011 without changing the transfer provisions. Do you have a newer agreement? There is no requirement to constantly update the agreement.

Why are you posting 14 year old stuff then ? Show me receipts of the amended contract in 2011 with the same provisions.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
As a neutral observer with no stake in either company, my thoughts are for Comcast to fuck off, I want the X-Men in the MCU.

Plus, I don't hear anything but negative things about Comcast, so there's that too.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you posting 14 year old stuff then ? Show me receipts of the amended contract in 2011 with the same provisions.
Here is the 2011 agreement and the 2012 amendment to it (which did not change anything regarding the transfer provisions). The same language is there. These agreements were negotiated after Disney bought Marvel in 2009:
https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1 Corp Dev/Spiderman/Agreement/Second Amended and Restated SPE #18S.doc

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1 Corp Dev/Spiderman/CE Carve-Out/Target Deal/First Amendment to Second Amended and Restated License Agreement.DOC

SPE shall be free to assign or license any or all of its rights hereunder, and/or to delegate any or all of its duties, obligations and liabilities, at any time and from time to time, to any person or entity. Upon such assignment, SPE shall be released and discharged of and from the delegated duties, obligations and liabilities if such assignment and/or delegation is to: (i) a person or entity into which SPE merges or is consolidated; or (ii) a person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of SPE's business and assets and which assumes such obligations in writing; or (iii) a financially responsible entity which is controlled by, under common control with, or controls SPE which assumes such obligations in writing; or (iv) a "Major Studio" (i.e., and expressly defined as limited to: Warner Bros., Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, or DreamWorks) or United States television network, which assumes such obligations in writing.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Listen guys the only thing disney needs is the marvel properties and avatar from fox's movie properties. Everything else let comcast can have...

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If I had to trust Disney or Comcast to make a Good Planet of the Apes film I'm picking Disney.

And I concur. If Disney do get fox hopefully they can satisfy comcast with other of fox properties.

If comcast get fox then hopefully they will barter the marvel and avatar properties to Disney. They are the only things worth more to disney than anything else fox has. Between the both of them they could supply disney with billions each year.

Those properties being held by comcast and retained by fox arnt worth as much as if they would be at marvel studios.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just buy back the Fantastic 4 and do a proper Inhumans movie.
Do you know how much worth the fantastic 4 property holds for the MCU? By association you get so much material for the cosmic arm of marvel. Annihilus, the surfer, galactus and all his heralds, franklin richards (argubly the most powerful entity this side of reality)

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
They only partially own them. Not sure what's tough to understand there.

The characters are Mavel's. They belong to Marvel. Marvel created them. The film rights, ie the ability to use those characters in a movie, currently do not belong to Marvel. But the characters themselves, do. And Marvel can use them in cartoons, comics, games, books, toys, bath soaps, underwear, anything but movies. That's what I meant. They are Marvel's characters. Wolverine is not a Fox character, he is a Marvel character. The only thing Marvel doesn't currently have control over is the ability to use some of their characters in Marvel Studios movies. But the actual characters themselves belong to Marvel because they are Marvel's characters. Getting the film rights back, would be letting Marvel use their own characters in their own movies.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Disney want their IPs back and Avatar. X-men, F4, A New Hope and Avatar make up for a lot of those billions but not all. Then there is Hulu. I wonder how much Disney is willing to part with to see this through.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Hey who knows what will happen if Comcast did get Fox. Maybe they don't care about the Marvel IP's and sell them off to the highest bidder.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Hey who knows what will happen if Comcast did get Fox. Maybe they don't care about the Marvel IP's and sell them off to the highest bidder.
Comcast alrady have the distribution rights to the Hulk and no, unfortunately they aren't selling them. They also refuse to cooperate with Disney, hence Hulk not having any solo movies anymore. If Comcast were willing to play ball, there would have been another standalone Hulk film by now, especially with how popular he's become since Ruffalo took over ):

As it stands, if Disney wants to make a Hulk movie they have to share him with Universal. But they can include him in other movies just fine to get around that.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
It likes Comcast asking for Disney to sabotage AT&T Time Warner deal, stop being annoying.
As much as I like X-men in MCU, Feige proves that he dont them. Compare to sport and cable channel hulu stock... Marvel stuff is not that valuable in this deal.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Disney won't let Comcast get A New Hope or the Mutants and F4.

Look how Disney went out of their way to get Oswald back by trading Al Michaels to NBCUniversal.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Do you know how much worth the fantastic 4 property holds for the MCU? By association you get so much material for the cosmic arm of marvel. Annihilus, the surfer, galactus and all his heralds, franklin richards (argubly the most powerful entity this side of reality)
Yes, that's why I told to just buy back the F4 (and related stuff), I want to see a proper galactus and dr Doom and the Earth Watcher. Also get back Namor too.

I don't care for the mutants, I think they can be fine on they own fox universe.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the reasons Disney went after fox was self protection which I think people have forgotten about. Disney going after Fox happened when there was some very interested suitors in Disney especially Apple. Content is key for the wars to come and if Fox goes to comcast Disney will be back looking over it's shoulder a bit. There is a lot more going on here than just the marvel movies.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't care for the mutants, I think they can be fine on they own fox universe.
This is even more confounding. The Xmen universe is the other half of the entire marvel universe. You have equally as much division of source material as you do with F4 and the avengers combined. Fox in the last almost 20 years only scratched the surface. They havnt even got to xmen in space yet.

To me there has been no divergence in the xmen universe at all since its movie inception. They focused on the same specific mutants for almost 20 years. Time for a drastic change.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't really care who gets Fox as whoever does will merge Fox into their set up and it will cease to be as a studio in it's own right. But if I had to chose one it would have to be Comcast just to see A) Murdoch get nothing seeing as his play for Disney shares is all about preserving his family's legacy and B) the monumental meltdowns such a deal would provoke.

Pacific Rim: Uprising?

I understand the point that you're trying to make but PcRim 2 probably isn't the best example given that Legendary were in the driving seat on that creatively while Universal being a minority (as little as 10%??) investor. The entire Dark Universe debacle, where they must have spent ten of millions on development, is a better example.

.To have one of the three eat the others is not good for anyone (and apparently WB might have to declare bankruptcy if the AT&T deal falls through?)

No.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney won't let Comcast get A New Hope or the Mutants and F4.

Look how Disney went out of their way to get Oswald back by trading Al Michaels to NBCUniversal.

This was before Comcast had bought NBCUniversal. They would have never sold Oswald back if Comcast had owned them at the time.

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
User Warned: Arguing in bad faith - Don't ask someone to back something up just to throw it back in their face.
Here is the 2011 agreement and the 2012 amendment to it (which did not change anything regarding the transfer provisions). The same language is there. These agreements were negotiated after Disney bought Marvel in 2009:
https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1 Corp Dev/Spiderman/Agreement/Second Amended and Restated SPE #18S.doc

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1 Corp Dev/Spiderman/CE Carve-Out/Target Deal/First Amendment to Second Amended and Restated License Agreement.DOC

Too bad you're trying to base your argument with information that is still super old . How about you stop hmmm ? There was a new amendment in 2015 which means you know less than a 4chan and Reddit poster put together.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad you're trying to base your argument with information that is still super old . How about you stop hmmm ? There was a new amendment in 2015 which means you know less than a 4chan and Reddit poster put together.
If you have the language, why don't you post it instead of being passive aggressive? Show your receipts for what you want to claim. You actually asked for the 2011 language and I gave it to you.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Yeah I don't see how this could go differently. Comcast is making a joke out of itself. If the market actually wanted this to happen, if there was actual synergy, they'd have a shot. I don't think they don't. At this point all I can see is Comcast's market share shrinking.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Comcast have little International footprint so buying Sky for a pan European broadcaster/production house makes sense. They also have no fully owned SVOD solution so controlling 60% of Hulu also makes sense for them especially as they could expand it out beyond North America.

They don't need Fox studios but everyone could do with more IP (witness Universal acquiring DWA despite having Illumination) and they also could get FX which for the basis of another SVOD service to compete with Showtime and HBO in terms of brand awareness in the premium scripted space.

There are lots of reason for Comcast to do this and the fact that Comcast's owners (the Roberts family) could piss off Disney and take most of Murdoch's prize assets away from him in one swoop is probably just the icing on the cake.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons Disney went after fox was self protection which I think people have forgotten about. Disney going after Fox happened when there was some very interested suitors in Disney especially Apple. Content is key for the wars to come and if Fox goes to comcast Disney will be back looking over it's shoulder a bit. There is a lot more going on here than just the marvel movies.

Right, a lot more of it has to do with the catalog Fox has. It would flesh out Disney's mature offerings, something they don't really have right now.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt Disney would allow Comcast to do this. They can easily outbid Comcast at this stage, and they absolutely want the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU for even more money.

And besides, as uncomfortable as I am with Disney having so much IP material in its war chest, letting Comcast have it is honestly a worse outcome. Fuck Comcast.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The news seems obviously that the market sees Comcast as doing something completely nuts and non-sensical:

I wouldn't take the immediate share price drop as sign of anything as others have said it's 'tradition' (for want of a better word) for the acquiring company's shares to be down in the short term when deals like this are mooted.

And it does make sense on paper for Comcast to want Fox as it's an attractive set of media assets.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I wouldn't take the immediate share price drop as sign of anything as others have said it's 'tradition' (for want of a better word) for the acquiring company's shares to be down in the short term when deals like this are mooted.

And it does make sense on paper for Comcast to want Fox as it's an attractive set of media assets.

On paper, yes. To immerse itself on debt for it with a cash proposal? That's insane. The market is obviously reacting negatively because of that.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I82I7?__twitter_impression=true

(Reuters) - Comcast Corp is speaking to investment banks about obtaining bridge financing for an all-cash bid to displace Walt Disney Co on its $52 billion deal to acquire most of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc's assets, three people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The move is the first concrete step that Comcast is taking to upend Disney's deal with Fox. Comcast has already made a 22 billion pound ($30 billion) offer to acquire the 61 percent stake in European pay-TV group Sky Plc that Fox does not already own.

Comcast is asking investment banks to increase the bridge financing facility they have already arranged for the Sky offer by as much as $60 billion to finance the Fox bid, the sources said.

At the rate Comcast is buying stuff up, I may never watch anything again. Books, maybe I can finally get through that list.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Disney would allow Comcast to do this. They can easily outbid Comcast at this stage, and they absolutely want the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU for even more money.

And besides, as uncomfortable as I am with Disney having so much IP material in its war chest, letting Comcast have it is honestly a worse outcome. Fuck Comcast.
The Marvel rights are absolutely small fry in the grand scheme of this deal. They're barely even a factor.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
On paper, yes. To immerse itself on debt for it with a cash proposal? That's insane. The market is obviously reacting negatively because of that.

True, I'm not saying that the deal makes sense in the short term but I could still see Comcast snatching up Sky and then leaving Disney buying the rest of the Fox assets on the table at a higher price owing to the potential bidding situation. That would also be a real 'win/win' situation for Comcast.

You have to wonder how the Fox shareholders feel though, would they want more money up front from Comcast or a chunk of Disney stock?

The Marvel rights are absolutely small fry in the grand scheme of this deal. They're barely even a factor.

True. The idea that Disney would instigate a deal of this size for the rights to the fucking X-Men (a probable B tier franchise) is ludicrous.

Oct 31, 2017
Disney is down $1.14 and Comcast is down $1.43. It makes sense for both to be down and Fox to be up on a bidding war.

The whole market is down today, but it is disingenuous and misleading to use dollars as opposed to percentage and you know that.

DIS is down 1.42% and CMCSA is down 4.75%. The market has reacted negatively to Comcast's all cash offer. They would be swimming in debt. I can see why such a reaction occurred.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
The whole market is down today, but it is disingenuous and misleading to use dollars as opposed to percentage and you know that.

DIS is down 1.42% and CMCSA is down 4.75%. The market has reacted negatively to Comcast's all cash offer. They would be swimming in debt. I can see why such a reaction occurred.
I don't see anything disingenuous about saying Disney is down when someone is claiming Disney is up. I would say it is disingenuous to claim Disney is up when it is down.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of either of these mergers (people cheering on the creation of giant industry-owning behemoths because of muh comic book movies are fucking stupid) BUT -

the Disney merger would at least form a really powerful bloc in favor of cord-cutting that'd likely tip the scales in that direction, whereas the Comcast merger would form an unprecedentedly powerful force *against* cord-cutting (which is precisely what Comcast's strategy is here).

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If that doesn't work, Comcast would still prefer a consolation prize to nothing.

ROFL

giphy.gif