• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I loved RE7, I hope the next game is similar in style. For me the first person perspective adds an extra layer to the horror. It has been a great time to be a survival horror fan though with RE7 and now RE2make.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
VR elevated this game to amazing status, but take that away and it's a pretty average game.

After the fight with Marguerite, the game slowly goes downhill, then once you leave the farm, it goes off a cliff. Then once you leave the boat it's just pure padding to increase the game's playtime. It's almost like Capcom was developing a small scale downloadable horror game that mostly takes place in a single house. The design is really tight, the encounters are meaningful, and it's filled with secrets and puzzles. Then someone high up decided it would make a good RE game, so they hastily scrapped together copy and paste environments, re-used the same 3 enemy types over and over, and stretched the game to 10 hours to justify the price tag and RE mainline titling.

I finished the game a few weeks ago for the first time, and I was seriously disappointed because I thought for sure I was only half way finished. Then the game ended on an un-losable boss fight and soured the amazing experience that was the first 6-8 hours.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I kind of hope RE2make sells less than RE7 just to show the industry that risks and original ideas are worth pursuing.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Both RE6 and RE7 underperformed and disappointed shareholders so comparing them is like comparing which one struggled less. Having good long-term sales with units being sold at $30 doesn't mean too much when the lion's share happens during the window of release. There's a reason why RE7 was a soft-reboot of the series despite RE6's good long-term sales.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
GOOD! I suspect RE2's numbers are going to be just as good, too.

Keep RE survival horror, Capcom.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
This isn't true at all.

It's survival horror for the majority of the game, the only time it really dips into action is when fighting the mercenaries on the island toward the end.

The way the combat versus the cultists is designed is core RE. The need to position shoot, reposition. The need to manage and conserve ammo. The need to prioritise targets and solve each encounter like a puzzle.

It has action elements but they don't change the core.

Ammo scarcity in RE4 is there to encourage effective tactics from the player. Without punishing the player for being sloppy, it would inhibit any real challenge, and suffer as an action game. You're exactly right in that each encounter is treated like a puzzle. The player is meant to ask themselves "how can i best take out these enemies?" as Leon faces wave after wave, horde after horde. If it can't wipe out every target in front of you, you're generally not effectively or skillfully taking out the threats it presents to you. Doing so rewards you immensely, and the existence of currency and the merchant are there to ensure that Leon is empowered with a full arsenal to take out any threat, at all times. A sloppy player might be given an out to just get by. Even enemies that are initially undefeatable offer a chance for the player to take them out before long.

Classic Resident Evil, at its core, is an "adventure" game. Progress is defined by solving puzzles. The player's next goal is that locked door, or any variation there of. Enemies are a momentary obstacle, with the occaisonal mandatory boss fight - which you'll generally reach after solving all of the puzzles within an area. Puzzles in 4 exist to make encounters more interesting, or to give characters to locations that would otherwise feel disposable. If there is a puzzle to eventually be solved in the future, the game will cart you off to each location, always sure to loop you back to its solution.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Now just imagine if 7 didn't have to follow 6. Probably would have been twice as fast

GOOD! I suspect RE2's numbers are going to be just as good, too.

Keep RE survival horror, Capcom.

I am going to say that RE2 is going to quickly surpass it (at least in terms of fastest selling), the reception and reaction has been crazy good and coming from RE7 people are probably less hesitant to jump in. I definitely remember RE7's launch as less hyped than RE2's, and I dont remember flood of youtube content and streams in 2017 that RE2 has been seeing recently

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Go tell Aunt Rhody,
Go tell Aunt Rhody,
Go tell Aunt Rhody,
That everybodyyyyyy's buying RE7

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake will surpass it and when all is said and done will be only behind RE5 in sales,only losing because of the ports.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Now just imagine if 7 didn't have to follow 6. Probably would have been twice as fast

I am going to say that RE2 is going to quickly surpass it (at least in terms of fastest selling), the reception and reaction has been crazy good and coming from RE7 people are probably less hesitant to jump in. I definitely remember RE7's launch as less hyped than RE2's, and I dont remember flood of youtube content and streams in 2017 that RE2 has been seeing recently

7 was so far removed from 6, I still doubt 6 had much of an impact on its performance.

RE7 is the most comparable to RE4, which had to prove itself on the new changes it was offering.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm playing through this right now and it's absoltley amazing. Has one of the best implementations of HDR in any game I've played and looks crazy good in 4K. Wish there were more survival horror games of this quality.

This is where I'm at with the game. Playing 7 and 2 back to back is amazing.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It took me a while to get RE7. It didn't look like Resident Evil nor had any connection with previous games that I could see. I thought it would be just a generic, full of cliches and by the numbers horror game. Boy was I wrong. It is an amazing game.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game last year, played for like 2 hours, got stressed out and dropped until this week. It's a great game but stressful lol. First RE game for me.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
It's good to see Capcom killing the "survival horror doesn't sell" myth once and for all, especially since RE2 is almost assuredly going to pass those numbers.

Both RE6 and RE7 underperformed and disappointed shareholders so comparing them is like comparing which one struggled less. Having good long-term sales with units being sold at $30 doesn't mean too much when the lion's share happens during the window of release. There's a reason why RE7 was a soft-reboot of the series despite RE6's good long-term sales.

Don't pay too much attention to disappointing shareholders. Monster Hunter World is Capcom's highest selling game and that disappointed them too. Capcom always sets sales figures high as a way of showing faith for the game, they're more of a statement than an actual projection (hence why they were satisfied with 7's initial sales).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't too long ago I read that the sales of RE7 were disappointing to Capcom so this is interesting.

I'm a huge fan of the brand but it took me a while to get around to it since it looked like a game designed for streamers. My feelings on the game are that it's good but has serious pacing issues. Hurts its replayability. Thankfully the Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLC campaigns were incredible.

RE2R is going to likely be the best selling game in the series at some point though. That game is just too good and the response has be ridiculously positive. The RE series is in the best spot its been since the original PlaySation.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That's great.
Hopefully the next game is more action-oriented though after having 2 survival horror titles back to back.

I'm someone who loves both sides of the RE coin but I would be pretty disappointed if RE8 turned the franchise back into something that's action focused considering that from 2005 to 2014 we got 5 action games (3 mainline games & 2 important/major side games). Like, it still feels like Survival Horror RE just came back. However while I want RE8 to still be a horror game (preferably first person but I'll take third person) BUT I would be 100% on board with the RE3 remake being a full on action game. I think making the RE3 remake a action game honestly almost fits the tone of that game better than if it were a horror game as Nemesis was the only scary thing about RE3 and even then the game really encourages you to fight Nemesis by rewarding you for fighting him.

Also, I've said this in other threads but (I think you might appreciate this thought) bring back Dino Crisis in an RE6 style game. I want to jump kick and suplex dinos!

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome game, really happy it's getting the recognition it deserves. Hopefully they build on the concepts and continue with this design in RE8.

This isn't true at all.

It's survival horror for the majority of the game, the only time it really dips into action is when fighting the mercenaries on the island toward the end.

The way the combat versus the cultists is designed is core RE. The need to position shoot, reposition. The need to manage and conserve ammo. The need to prioritise targets and solve each encounter like a puzzle.

It has action elements but they don't change the core.

I don't remember that much ammo management in the game since I always had a weapon available to handle a given situation. The game also just wasn't scary. The first village was a bit tense as you were trying to figure out what's going on with the villagers but after that, there are no fear inducing moments.

Replace Leon with another protagonist, replace the herbs with medkits, and remove any mention of Umbrella. With these slight changes you'd have what most would consider an action game and what few would consider an RE game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'll be curious to see where RE8 goes after RE2's success. Obviously we're getting the RE3 remake first but I do wonder if RE8 will end up being modeled after 7 or 2 Remake.

I'm personally hoping for 2. I prefer Resident Evil as a game where I am seeing my character the entire time, whether it's through static backgrounds or a third person shooter.

I said it in a preivous thread but my dream Resident Evil 8 is a third person modern story with two playable characters and in turn, two campaigns: Claire and Sheva. No one else.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want talk about timeframe, it should be in the title (you're a mod so you can edit it), as it's inaccurate otherwise, or just leads to debate and goalposts moving so it fits a narrative.

It's still interesting to see how RE7 underperformed for the first year, then sold more after that (so I guess mostly through bargain bin and goty edition).

I think the title is perfectly fine and it's been explained by Dusk Golem golen thoroughly in his posts. Nothing is "inaccurate" as RE7 is the best selling survival horror going by the facts in the OP. I also find it disingenuous to say RE7 "underperformed" when it's done better than other RE titles in the same time frame - and let's not pretend RE4-6 didn't have heavy discounts either (more so than RE7) to get to their sales points.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I personally hated it and found certain parts laughable. I prefer the vibe of re2 remake. I'm in the minority though and won't hate on it's success. Hope we can have a mix of the first person and remake style going forward so we can all get love

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this goes for most games, but how much of that sold for 20 €/$ or less? Game has been that or below for at least year I think.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
So its selling faster originally than re6

Huh on the gaf thread years ago re6 fans would claim this would never happen

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well deserved. Love this game so much. Only single criticism I have is I wish they would patch in a fast-start for re-plays. The intro can slog on repeat playings.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best VR experience i had, the game wasn't amazing after 2/3, but everything before was stellar.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So its selling faster originally than re6

Huh on the gaf thread years ago re6 fans would claim this would never happen

It is almost certain that people paid more for their copies of RE7 than they did for RE6 as well (and RE7 holding its value longer is certainly a positive for Capcom), as they were just DUMPING copies of RE6 for NOTHING a few weeks after it launched. That part often gets left out of the narrative when people talk about how many copies RE6 has sold.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Hope RE2 is not the only future for RE and they make RE8 in first person VR. RE2 feels so much a lesser game after playing RE7 in VR. Capcom def can keep both styles going and keep everyone happy.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RE2 Gold edition with first person view and you can play the full game in VR. Instant best selling survival horror of all time. Do it Capcom!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
7 was so far removed from 6, I still doubt 6 had much of an impact on its performance.

RE7 is the most comparable to RE4, which had to prove itself on the new changes it was offering.

Fair point, I suppose Revelations 2 probably took more of the brunt as a "good RE game" coming after a very divisive entry

It is almost certain that people paid more for their copies of RE7 than they did for RE6 as well (and RE7 holding its value longer is certainly a positive for Capcom), as they were just DUMPING copies of RE6 for NOTHING a few weeks after it launched. That part often gets left out of the narrative when people talk about how many copies RE6 has sold.

Yeah I am a big fan of the series, and i played the crap out of the RE6 and RE7 demos. I bought both games in the form of the "complete" digital editions with all DLC, the only difference is I paid $12 for RE6 and $80 for RE7. I really hope Capcom got my message loud and clear

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that Resident Evil is so healthy right now.

RE7 was probably the best VR experience i've ever had.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Replace Leon with another protagonist, replace the herbs with medkits, and remove any mention of Umbrella. With these slight changes you'd have what most would consider an action game and what few would consider an RE game.
This isn't true for me at all either, the core of the game is RE through and through.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
It's good to see Capcom killing the "survival horror doesn't sell" myth once and for all, especially since RE2 is almost assuredly going to pass those numbers.

Don't pay too much attention to disappointing shareholders. Monster Hunter World is Capcom's highest selling game and that disappointed them too. Capcom always sets sales figures high as a way of showing faith for the game, they're more of a statement than an actual projection (hence why they were satisfied with 7's initial sales).
Disappointed shareholders = lower stocks.
RE7 wasn't successful. It shipped less than predicted (causing Capcom's stocks to fall), sold less than expected in its first fiscal year and then it underperformed again in its second fiscal year despite discounts, a permanent price drop and the release of the Gold Edition*.
Having steady sales when the definitive edition of your game is priced at $30-40 isn't a good sign, it means the public isn't interestered in paying $60 for it. REmake 2 will likely archive better results since RE2 is one of the most beloved games of all time, but what about the next titles? A possible remake of RE3 won't be as popular as REmake 2, and people won't rush to the stores to buy another game like RE7, at least not for $60. Comparing its sales to another game that underperformed (RE6) rather than a successful title doesn't help.

My opinion? Make RE8 an open-world title with a robust survival/battle-royale multiplayer mode.

*Also, combining the sales of the vanilla edition of RE7 with the Gold Edition feels like an attempt to inflate the results. Capcom rarely does this but they did with RE7 and Street Fighter V, both games that underperformed.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My opinion? Make RE8 an open-world title with a robust survival/battle-royale multiplayer mode.

Christ no. Chasing that trend is a easy path to disaster (especially if, you know, you want people to actually pay money for the game. That genre will be F2P or bust soon, if it isn't already, for any new titles entering the arena.)

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true for me at all either, the core of the game is RE through and through.

The game isn't scary/has very few horror elements, item management is hardly needed, there is very little backtracking or route planning, and is very disconnected from the previous RE universe outside of two characters. So outside of the shoot, reposition, shoot design you mentioned earlier, I'm not sure what about the core is RE. That last mechanic is even a stretch IMO, especially when shoot, reposition, shoot is done in plenty of other shooters as well.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Great and well deserved, They not only had to get the Resi brand it's reputation back( from the abomination that was 6 ) But they also went with a new perspective and had to implement VR which they nailed.

All with that great new REngine.

Let's hope they stick with VR and first person mode with 8, But i doubt they will.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Disappointed shareholders = lower stocks.
RE7 wasn't successful. It shipped less than predicted (causing Capcom's stocks to fall), sold less than expected in its first fiscal year and then it underperformed again in its second fiscal year despite discounts, a permanent price drop and the release of the Gold Edition*.

*Also, combining the sales of the vanilla edition of RE7 with the Gold Edition feels like an attempt to inflate the results. Capcom rarely does this but they did with RE7 and Street Fighter V, both games that underperformed.

Stocks aren't what determine a game's success. Again, you seem to ignore that shareholders were disappointed with the most successful game in Capcom's history. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold over 20 million copies and yet Take Two's stocks dropped, in no way does that mean Red Dead 2 was a failure. What determines a game's success are breaking even and then profit margins after that. RE7 made it's budget back on preorders alone, everything else has been raw profits.

With regards to the second point...they combine sales because...they're the same game? Are you being serious right now?

Having steady sales when the definitive edition of your game is priced at $30-40 isn't a good sign, it means the public isn't interestered in paying $60 for it. REmake 2 will likely archive better results since RE2 is one of the most beloved games of all time, but what about the next titles? A possible remake of RE3 won't be as popular as REmake 2, and people won't rush to the stores to buy another game like RE7, at least not for $60. Comparing its sales to another game that underperformed (RE6) rather than a successful title doesn't help.

Most games' lifetime numbers are based on steady amounts of unit sold at discount prices unless you're a Rockstar mega hit, RE7 really isn't as much of an outlier as you seem to think it is. RE3 and Nemesis in particular are so beloved the idea they wouldn't sell is preposterous.

I won't even address that last bit, you're clearly trolling at this point.