OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best selling survival horror game but not the best selling Resident Evil game. Did I get that right? The OP is a bit cluttered.
Yes, though it's currently tied in second as the best selling RE game (considering the time frame it's been released for, if you don't consider it and compare games that have been out for many more years than it and have had releases on other platforms and different versions, then it's currently the 4th best selling RE game). It's also on it's way to surpass the game it's tied with and take second place. But Resident Evil 5 is still the best selling RE game, both in general and considering the time frame. However, RE2 stands a serious chance to climb to the top here.

The more notable thing is ignoring the rest of the RE series, it's the best selling traditional horror game now. And survival-horror, unless you consider The Last of Us a survival-horror game (which is open for debate, but I think of it more of a cinematic third-person action-adventure game with horror themes).

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
That's great to hear. RE7 deserves a lot of love, even if it has issues.

I hope Capcom learns the right lessons from this and RE2.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Resident Evil is likely sticking to its survival horror roots for awhile longer, least for the mainline series. I'm glad honestly, I remember not too long ago many said that survival horror doesn't sell, that the genre was dead, yet here we are with RE7 selling 6+ million and RE: 2 more than likely going to break that sooner.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
TLOU is a "survival" game in general, with inconsistent horror elements. It definitely has them, but the greater portion of the game is spent dealing with human enemies in scenarios that don't appear to be made to inspire fear.

Which is what makes it so interesting. Getting by with limited resources, using stealth to avoid encounters, etc etc. are survival horror mechanics employed to a wider variety of scenarios. The game stands as proof that the "survival" in survival horror does, in fact, mean something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Looks like Resident Evil is likely sticking to its survival horror roots for awhile longer, least for the mainline series. I'm glad honestly, I remember not to long ago many said that survival horror doesn't sell, that the genre was dead, yet here we are with RE7 selling 6+ million and RE: 2 more than likely going to break that sooner.

I can't see other AAA survivor-horror game sold well like Resident Evil.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
One thing I'm sorely disappointed in is the lack of VR on PC. Capcom stated the VR mode will be PSVR exclusive for 1 year only. It is now 2 years later and the main reason I bought an Oculus Rift hasn't happened.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see other AAA survivor-horror game sold well like Resident Evil.

There's probably not a current horror franchise that could sell as well as Resident Evil currently does, as RE has built-up a name for itself which does allow the games to sell on brand name alone, but something could come into its own in the future. I also believe horror games are going to see a boost in the upcoming years due to a mixture of a generation that grew up watching other people play horror games growing up themselves (horror game let's players were some of the biggest things in the 2010s-2015s), and the horror genre as a whole is seeing a bigger boost in popularity currently (horror movies are on an uprise as well currently in the box office). I think part of this also has to do with the current anxieties and spread depression over the world, horror proves to be more popular in eras of depression.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The OP feels very strange to me because it talks about RE5 and RE6 as if they don't count -- which I understand, as they are far more action oriented than horror oriented -- but it doesn't even mention Resident Evil 4.

RE4 has sold more than RE7 and is still generally considered a survival horror game before the action element became the forefront in RE5.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The OP feels very strange to me because it talks about RE5 and RE6 as if they don't count -- which I understand, as they are far more action oriented than horror oriented -- but it doesn't even mention Resident Evil 4.

RE4 has sold more than RE7 and is still generally considered a survival horror game before the action element became the forefront in RE5.
Resident Evil 4 actually undersold during it's release window, the PS2+Gamecube versions of RE4 sold 3.9 million units it's whole life time.

The thing about RE4 is it's amassed sales over time, it usually sells between 500k-2 million copies per platform it releases on, but it's never been a top seller on any platform (though definitely doesn't do badly). It's a bit hard to directly compare since RE4 is almost the definition of a game with legs. RE7 at this point in time is actually very close to outselling all of RE4's sales that are listed combined on Capcom's Platinum list though (but the platinum list is missing the 360/PS3, two PC releases, and WiiU release, as probably none of those sold over 1 million copies).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Yeah.
It's just to give RE7 a win I guess.

Edit: as shown by the post above moving goalposts from the title.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Resident Evil 4 actually undersold during it's release window, the PS2+Gamecube versions of RE4 sold 3.9 million units it's whole life time.

Sure, but then we're narrowing it down further. "RE7 is the best selling survival horror game based on the consoles it launched on." And at that point, we're talking a game that was exclusive to the GameCube for a year.

The reason RE4 has sold more is because of how much it has stood the test of time. That shouldn't be discounted. (And I personally don't see RE7 having that same impact when it gets re-released on future consoles.)

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Great job, even though the game turns to pretty shit in the last third, the beginning alone makes up for it.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im glad this game has legs. I really hope Capcom uses that to justify doing another Residebt Evil in VR, because that made 7 go from a great game to a transcendent one for me. I'm loving the 2 remake, but it just isn't at the level of 7 without VR support for me.

Apr 16, 2018
Every way you can possibly interpret the thread title is just factually wrong.

- Resident Evil 7 isn't the highest selling survivor horror game
- It's not even the highest selling Resident Evil game
- The Last of Us has sold more copies than any individual Resident Evil game
- I guess it's the highest selling first-person survival horror game in the Resident Evil franchise?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but then we're narrowing it down further. "RE7 is the best selling survival horror game based on the consoles it launched on." And at that point, we're talking a game that was exclusive to the GameCube for a year.

The reason RE4 has sold more is because of how much it has stood the test of time. That shouldn't be discounted. (And I personally don't see RE7 having that same impact when it gets re-released on future consoles.)

Yeah.
It's just to give RE7 a win I guess.

Edit: as shown by the post above moving goalposts from the title.
Didn't Capcom consider RE4 an action game ?

It's not to move goal posts, there's a combined number of reasons here. Firstly, as Yukari pointed out, Mikami and the team specifically went out of their way to clarify RE4 was not a survival-horror game, but an survival-action game in their own words. More than this, I'm also trying to keep current trajectories and time frame into the picture as obviously RE4 is a well regarded game.

Like okay, if you combine the Gamecube+PS2+Wii+PS4+Xbox One versions of RE4, combined in total they've sold 7.3 million copies over 14 years. RE7 has sold 6.1 million copies in two years on PS4+Xbox One+PC. RE7 is well on it's way to sell more than RE4 on it's first release, even giving RE4's first release to include the PS2 version, the Gamecube+PS2 version of RE4 sold 3.9 million copies.

I think best selling should also consider time frame, but that's maybe a personal distinction. However, even with this the developers of RE4 don't consider RE4 a survival-horror game is another big part of this. I can understand opposing viewpoints and why to contrast it, but honestly I think to say RE4 has done better than RE7 is actually more misleading with all the information available, as RE4 to reach over 6 million sales literally took the game over a decade to accomplish, while it's taken RE7 two years to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
The more notable thing is ignoring the rest of the RE series, it's the best selling traditional horror game now. And survival-horror, unless you consider The Last of Us a survival-horror game (which is open for debate, but I think of it more of a cinematic third-person action-adventure game with horror themes).
I mean it's technically categorized as an action-adventure survival horror.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Every way you can possibly interpret the thread title is just factually wrong.

- Resident Evil 7 isn't the highest selling survivor horror game
- It's not even the highest selling Resident Evil game
- The Last of Us has sold more copies than any individual Resident Evil game
- I guess it's the highest selling first-person survival horror game in the Resident Evil franchise?
-Yes it fucking is.
-Its the second highest selling.
-The Last of Us isn't Survival Horror
-Cute

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad RE7's sales are so good. It's so well deserved. Such an excellent survival horror game and I hope the sales of RE2 end up being comparable. Capcom is KILLING it!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad, RE7 was a great return to form for the series after RE4 took it off track.

I hope for their next game it's an fps. I am loving the new RE2 but after RE7 I enjoyed it's first person view and if they do more in the future I hope they do them with first person in mind or at least have an option between third/first.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Are you for fucking real? Accusing a respected mod of misrepresenting accurate sales?!
Respected mod or not, I'm sorry but this is the case.
It's not the best selling RE, it's using specific caveats, and it's saying some games don't count as survival horror so it can have this headline.

Sales are a precise matter.
It's not to move goal posts, there's a combined number of reasons here. Firstly, as Yukari pointed out, Mikami and the team specifically went out of their way to clarify RE4 was not a survival-action game, but an action-horror game in their own words. More than this, I'm also trying to keep current trajectories and time frame into the picture as obviously RE4 is a well regarded game.

Like okay, if you combine the Gamecube+PS2+Wii+PS4+Xbox One version of RE4, combined in total they've sold 7.3 million copies over 14 years. RE7 has sold 6.1 million copies in two years on PS4+Xbox One+PC. RE7 is well on it's way to sell more than RE4 on it's first release, even giving RE4's first release to include the PS2 version, the Gamecube+PS2 version of RE4 sold 3.9 million copies.

I think best selling should also consider time frame, but that's maybe a personal distinction. However, even with this the developers of RE4 don't consider RE4 a survival-horror game is another big part of this. I can understand opposing viewpoints and why to contrast it, but honestly I think to say RE4 has done better than RE7 is actually more misleading with all the information available, as RE4 to reach over 6 million sales literally took the game over a decade to accomplish, while it's taken RE7 two years to do so.
If you want talk about timeframe, it should be in the title (you're a mod so you can edit it), as it's inaccurate otherwise, or just leads to debate and goalposts moving so it fits a narrative.

It's still interesting to see how RE7 underperformed for the first year, then sold more after that (so I guess mostly through bargain bin and goty edition).

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
The thread title is inaccurate. It should be "RE7 is the fastest selling survival horror game within 2 years of launch if you exclude RE5 and 6."

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
But if you consider RE4 survival horror, you also have to consider TLOU survival horror

I mean, I don't have to. I think RE4 fits the title better. But I also wouldn't argue against it.

Either way, the point is that RE4 being survival horror or not is very much something that people can debate. Hell, even the RE fan-controlled Wikipedia pages make sure to call it "survival horror" but then drop that for RE5 and RE6. So because of that debatable part, it seems a bit early to call out this fact.

I feel like we should at least wait for it to outsell RE4 before making that statement because it becomes much harder to argue RE5 and RE6 would fit the genre. RE4 is fair game though.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely well deserved, Capcom nailed the atmosphere in the game, even if the last hour or so of the game is pretty meh. Everything else is fantastic and shows why I love survival horror games.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved!

I mean it makes sense to exclude RE5 & RE6 because they are not really survivor horror regardless of how anyone feel about them. Also that point has been cleared in many posts so being pedantic about it seem unnecessary at this point.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Title has been updated, good.
Not the fastest selling RE though (but again, impressive to see this after its disappointing first year).

Edit: ok that new title update is getting ridiculous lol.
It was "best selling of all time"
Then "fastest selling"
And now "fastest selling and one of the best selling of all time".

What's next?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Well deserved. It's a fantastic game and really blew me away at launch... and then I played it again a year later on PSVR and holy shit!!! Game changer!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread Capcom really need to combine some more SKUs. There is a lot of Data in that Sub 1m seller range.

RE2 sold 5m on the PS1 alone.

This does not include Dreamcast,Gamecube,Windows,N64 and possibly many other budget re-releases on the PS1 itself. Its not hard to believe all those could add up to another 1m. While all of these releases are included for RE7 and modern Capcom games.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Title has been updated, good.
Not the fastest selling RE though (but again, impressive to see this after its disappointing first year).

Edit: ok that new title update is getting ridiculous lol.
It was "best selling of all time"
Then "fastest selling"
And now "fastest selling and one of the best selling of all time".

What's next?
Your agenda is showing. Stop it.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Survival horror is an inconsistent descriptor anyway, like why is Resident Evil survival horror but not Alone in the Dark? Because RE coined the term? If so, RE4 can't be survival horror if we're going by self-descriptors.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Your agenda is showing. Stop it.
You can't say that when you get mad at every poster having a different opinion in this thread, and trying to defend misleading posts, come on.

RE7 is now a success, there's no need to misrepresent the facts to make it bigger than it actually is.
The title is accurate now, it was just funny to see it change multiple times to add more accomplishments.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Great news. It's an amazing game. I'd love to see another FPS Resident Evil with a bigger area to explore. I feel like the mansion/house whatever in RE 7 was fairly small in scope and you got through too quickly. The later bits I didn't quite enjoy as much.