Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
It won't be able to run and you won't even be able purchase it, I don't think a lot of people are understanding what this is exactly. This isn't something you can just go and download from the eShop anywhere in the world with a Japanese account, this isn't a thing being downloaded to your Switch at all. You need to be in the vicinity of a cloud service station, there's several in Japan so it'll probably get a wide range in several key cities. In Japan (and Korea) there's an idea of gaming cafes, where you pay the cafe to use a computer for an extended period while there, this is sorta' an extension of that but for more on-the-go in Japanese life, these stations don't just solely provide RE7 either or just Switch stuff, they provide a number of services. Essentially from the cloud service stations the game is being streamed to your Switch. It has Switch controls, such as Gyro aiming is confirmed, but it's not actually on your Switch, and you won't be able to buy it unless you're within working range of the area covered to stream it. It's essentially streaming a video feed to you and taking in your input controls, but you need to be within range of the stations to even buy it.

I keep telling people this isn't a replacement for a port, this isn't even really a port, it's a Japanese gaming thing which has existed for a bit and these things usually stay Japan exclusive due to it being a very different market, but I think people are getting the wrong idea and thinking this is some wi-fi only RE7 port where you need to always be connected to the internet. It's not the internet you need to be connected to essentially, you need to be connected to the cloud service stations, which only exist in Japan.
This needs going in the OP, the thread is full of people acting like this is being released around the world

Theres no reason why this experiment means a proper version isn't in development as well

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of streaming games might seem weird here, but essentially how it works is the video feed of the game is being streamed to the Switch, the player is then inputting controls which are being sent back to the service to play the game. All that's actually happening is a video is being streamed to the Switch controller, and inputs from the player are being sent back to the station. Resident Evil 7 isn't the first game to do this, and it's not a Switch exclusive thing.

If you have some time, there's a very interesting written synopsis of the basics of this you can read here: https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=AP42905917

This article is focused on how it affects PC sales, but it covers the basics of how this works. The reason it's taken off more in Asia than other territories is a mixture of Asia frankly being much more technologically inclined and to provide faster streaming services, and for the fact that covering an area like Japan or South Korea isn't as wide as a goal as constructing these sorts of stations worldwide, plus it may appeal more to a market like Japan as they often have down-time in travelling between points, like from home to work or during breaks and such.

There are other games doing this in Japan, and these services provide more than games I'll mention and Switch specific stuff. It's something firmly aimed at an Eastern market rather than a Western one.
I get how game streaming works. it's been done before. you're bringing up stuff like "cloud service stations" which is a foreign concept to me. downloading a client, switch-side, is what people were expecting. this is what PSO2 does (and I think DQX on mobile/3DS).

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
still don't understand the relevancy of this cloud service station thing when the website just say download the tiny re7 cloud app, get a good internet, and rent it to play after 15 min trial. of course being not in japan the connection or whatever latency thing will be bad.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
im not sure of that but I cant figure it out what are they aiming. Capcom dont have any shining background in network to make anyone believe that they will someone deliver something better than PSNow

then comes the pick of location, Game and System.

system wise, Switch Wifi is not the greatest thing, and making it work only on the dock with LAN internet kill the cornerstop purpose of the Switch, portability.

Location and Game, Japan reception of RE 7 was already smaller than previous games, so what is Capcom target?

From the people in Japan that own a Switch, Pick those that like horror games, from those further pick up those that have Lan Adapter on their Docks, from those further pick up those with good internet to run the game decently, from those further pick up those that would actually care for Streaming Gameplau

I think they are just testing the waters, what they earned from Monster Hunter and other titles might be invested on these services that, as I said, will likely become the new hot thing with PS5 / Xbox 2.

This won't come in US and EU soon as it would be extremely expensive to handle these kind of services worldwide, unless there is some sort of hidden partnershp, like with Nvidia.

Last edited:

gashikunFLCL

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be able to run and you won't even be able purchase it, I don't think a lot of people are understanding what this is exactly. This isn't something you can just go and download from the eShop anywhere in the world with a Japanese account, this isn't a thing being downloaded to your Switch at all. You need to be in the vicinity of a cloud service station, there's several in Japan so it'll probably get a wide range in several key cities. In Japan (and Korea) there's an idea of gaming cafes, where you pay the cafe to use a computer for an extended period while there, this is sorta' an extension of that but for more on-the-go in Japanese life, these stations don't just solely provide RE7 either or just Switch stuff, they provide a number of services. Essentially from the cloud service stations the game is being streamed to your Switch. It has Switch controls, such as Gyro aiming is confirmed, but it's not actually on your Switch, and you won't be able to buy it unless you're within working range of the area covered to stream it. It's essentially streaming a video feed to you and taking in your input controls, but you need to be within range of the stations to even buy it.

I keep telling people this isn't a replacement for a port, this isn't even really a port, it's a Japanese gaming thing which has existed for a bit and these things usually stay Japan exclusive due to it being a very different market, but I think people are getting the wrong idea and thinking this is some wi-fi only RE7 port where you need to always be connected to the internet. It's not the internet you need to be connected to essentially, you need to be connected to the cloud service stations, which only exist in Japan.

Maybe you should check the RE7C site, http://www.capcom.co.jp/bh7cloud/

Step1, check the internet environment
Step2, Download the RE7C from the eShop
Step3, Play the BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil cloud version from the home menu

Last edited:

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we can all aspire to post 50 times in a single thread, trashing the community we belong to and insisting that questionable business strategies are beyond criticism. Maybe some day we'll join you in the sun.

You mean the Japanese sun right? There's a difference between constructive criticism and disingenuous hot takes with a sprinkle of ignorance and armchair analysis, this thread was filled with the latter. Just look at the mod post.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It will be interesting to see how this goes, but every cloud gaming thing I've tried has been pretty much trash on my home internet connection.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I get how game streaming works. it's been done before. you're bringing up stuff like "cloud service stations" which is a foreign concept to me. downloading a client, switch-side, is what people were expecting. this is what PSO2 does (and I think DQX on mobile/3DS).

Okay, so I might have the name for it wrong. I had decided to ask more my partner in my projects (she is originally from the Philippines, moved to Japan with her husband near a decade ago) about this since they live in Japan and have for a number of years, brought this up with them and the site.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bh7cloud/

So the site talks more about this in detail. Essentially the key points are:

-They re using cloud gaming to stream beautiful graphics to the Switch that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
-Will include all RE7 content, such as Not a Hero, End of Zoe, Banned Footage, etc.
-There is Switch comparability as it can use Switch joy-cons and other features for Switch.

And now here's the important part:

-You download a special app connected to these cloud stations which allow you to stream the game without downloading the game itself. The game is continually sent from a Cloud server to your Switch via an internet connection, but to play you need a stable environment. Now here's the kicker to this, the internet specifics they recommend work like this:

Connection environment: a constantly stable Internet connection environment (Recommended environment: Wi-Fi 802.11ac 5 GHz or wired LAN adapter)

But there's also a range from the service needed. The game downloads 45 MB to your Switch, probably for save files and application stuff to validate streaming the video. The service is provided by ユビタスのクラウドサ, aka ubitus cloud service.

Now ubitus is a worldwide clinic for cloud gaming that have a relationship with Capcom, you can find there page here: http://www.ubitus.net/en/ugamecloud.html

You'll notice almost all their featured games are Capcom games, the Devil May Cry, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter games, etc., games are all there. The idea behind them is that they started a business to create a broader 'arcade', Capcom has worked with them multiple times and has most of their games on this service already. So why is it only just now that most people are hearing about this?

Because it's Japanese exclusive, you need to be within range of one of their stations in order to stream the game in most cases. Maybe RE7 will be an exception, since it is currently the only way to play RE7 on Switch and they're providing special promotion for it, but these past examples from Capcom have been kept mostly exclusive to being close to a center of theirs, you need the app to play it, be connected, and they have a 'range gap' as for the area the service is provided in most often. Japan will be covered mostly and it's only being released there, but unless they're doing something different than Capcom have done in the past with the service I don't think it'll be even available outside of Japan as you won't be able to get the app as you won't be close enough to a station.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I can see why this blew up and lots of people are anxious, because this is is the future really, and everybody can intuitively feel it. As 5G gets rolled out, consoles or handhelds are more about the nicest form factor than anything else. It's more lucrative to be able to stream your games to all devices than having to port them, and it obviates buy in of expensive peripherals. I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but I'm actually not super against it either. €20 is better than €60, and I prefer to watch movies on Netflix even if I own the DVD myself too. It would be nice if there was still an option to buy your games physically, but that would mean higher cost games, higher cost consoles, and most likely consoles that quickly go out of date to what gets streamed. Doubt it would be a big market.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that the Switch probably couldn't handle the game natively, but cloud streaming something like this (Especially on hardware with wifi/online capabilities as lacking as the Switch's) sounds like it'd make for a terrible experience.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Basically like how GeForce now streaming gaming works on my Nvidia shield then, similar chips too I think.

I can tell you I trialled the GeForce streaming from their servers on a 150mb connection, it was shit, the amount of times the servers went down was infuriating, even after swapping servers so I cancelled it. It worked for a bit great then the amount of times the game hung was annoying, think when youd watch a film and it would buffer, only this was a immersive gaming sesh.

Also similar to psnow if you used that.

Meh for me, but nice for some people, I think this is how their Retro games will work too folks.

Thee are some Nvidia Lightspeed games that they allow you to download to the sheild console and seeing as the specs ar similar tonthe Switch these downloadable ones imo should come out on the Switch, these are
Half Life 2, And episods 1&2, Doom 3 bfg edition, Portal, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider 2013, super meatboy.

Last edited:

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
But there's also a range from the service needed. The game downloads 45 MB to your Switch, probably for save files and application stuff to validate streaming the video. The service is provided by ユビタスのクラウドサ, aka ubitus cloud service.

Because it's Japanese exclusive, you need to be within range of one of their stations in order to stream the game in most cases.

This sounds like the usual IP range block used for games that is streamed to prevent bottlenecks and to guarantee good performance within a certain targetted area.

Akatsuki no Kiseki for PS4 and PSV are IP-locked for example and are streamed from a server. Then there are PS NOW that tests your latency and only lets you play it if it's below a certain value.

Anyone believing this and Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud versions being remotely playable outside Japan, where the servers are, should remember that super fast internet is not the deciding factor here, it's latency.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will be people that defend this...not many, but some. Let that sink in.

It's not so much about defending this decision as accepting that this is what happens when you make a console considerably weaker than the competition.

That said, I have no idea how difficult it would be to port RE7 to the Switch because it is visually impressive on the consoles and PC.

I'm assuming it would be quite a bit of work.

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why this blew up and lots of people are anxious, because this is is the future really, and everybody can intuitively feel it. As 5G gets rolled out, consoles or handhelds are more about the nicest form factor than anything else. It's more lucrative to be able to stream your games to all devices than having to port them, and it obviates buy in of expensive peripherals. I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but I'm actually not super against it either. €20 is better than €60, and I prefer to watch movies on Netflix even if I own the DVD myself too. It would be nice if there was still an option to buy your games physically, but that would mean higher cost games, higher cost consoles, and most likely consoles that quickly go out of date to what gets streamed. Doubt it would be a big market.

Movies and TV shows aren't affected by input lag though. I don't really see how games can be compared, this could render entire genres of games unplayable.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
While the idea is......interesting, this "service" just doesn't seem to fit what I want for my switch. I would have prefered a DOOM/Skyrim/L.A. Noire type of port, rather than a stream.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Where is this narrative that ResetEra, the site that changed its logo to that plug dude and had a 200+ page thread for a nothingburger of a Direct mere weeks ago and constant "the Nintendo Switch cured my gaming ennui and cancer" threads, is anti-Switch?

Jesus. Maybe people actually think there are hardware limitations to porting a AAA game from more powerful consoles to a portable system?

Edit: sorry for not explicitly addressing the topic in this post. It was mostly aimed at the side discussion about Switch sentiment on this forum from the previous page.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wrong thread?

This thread is about Resident Evil VII Cloud version (Japan only).
I just finished catching up with the thread. My comment mostly refers to the shitshow on the last few pages.

For what it's worth, I think this is a really cool workaround if porting to the Switch proves difficult or too costly. It all depends on the quality of the streaming service.

harinezumi

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Threads about Square Enix or Capcom, in GAF and now in ERA, in a nutshell:

1324596542030_7713053.png

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
If they have a demo even for a Japanese version I would be curious to test how it feels. That said, I would not buy this on Switch because the whole point of buying a game on Switch for me is being able to play it wherever I go.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished catching up with the thread. My comment mostly refers to the shitshow on the last few pages.

For what it's worth, I think this is a really cool workaround if porting to the Switch proves difficult or too costly. It all depends on the quality of the streaming service.
Streaming only works in limited scenarios. It is a technology that has been pushed for many years now and has failed to catch on, and with a reason. There's no let's see how this works, we know how it works and is badly, unless you are one of the few people living close to a data center with very high speed internet and low interference sources from your surroundings.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Threads about Square Enix or Capcom, in GAF and now in ERA, in a nutshell:

1324596542030_7713053.png

I really don't think that is the case. Just thinking of one game from each company- Nier Automata for SE and Monster Hunter World for Capcom- you see that the reception here is overwhelmingly positive and thus disproved this meme that everyone here hates these 2 companies and everything they do.

harinezumi

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I really don't think that is the case. Just thinking of one game from each company- Nier Automata for SE and Monster Hunter World for Capcom- you see that the reception here is overwhelmingly positive and thus disproved this meme that everyone here hates these 2 companies and everything they do.
More like those two are exceptions and everything else gets a "lol" or a "fuck you," or both.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
What's the point of making a cloud based game run on a particular system? If it is being streamed, might as well make it work on every (or most) device out there. Even on Raspberry Pi if you want.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interested to see how this cloud version can work.

Any word if this is the base game only, or will it have all the free dlc?

It has all the DLC content IIRC.

More like those two are exceptions and everything else gets a "lol" or a "fuck you," or both.

I mean whatever then. I obviously disagree with you but I don't know what I can do to convince you otherwise. If this would've been REVII port announced for the Switch simply then I know I for one would have been over the moon and more jolly compared to this service. Context is important.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope japanese mobile internet connection is better than what we have in Europe.

The only way you can play over the internet using remote play on ps4 is using 100mbit fiber on both side with everything wired, and still it sucks.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Must have missed MHW threads before release, huh!

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France

People need to differenciate devs and execs.
Square Enix and Capcom have good games, but they often make - from the user standpoint - baffling commercial decisions.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Must have missed MHW threads before release, huh!

No I did not, I even actively participated in several and I still conclude the same. Wasn't the game in the top 5 most anticipated games of this year? That would be odd for a site that has a collective hatred of Capcom. There was massive amounts of excitement and joy for that game.

But we're getting off topic here and into... messy territory ultimately.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
As long as ultra-low latency isn't a requirement and the bitrate's high enough, streaming can work well. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been tried before on the Switch. You get around the weak hardware, you get around the storage limits and high costs of carts. Hope this works out.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
As long as ultra-low latency isn't a requirement and the bitrate's high enough, streaming can work well. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been tried before on the Switch. You get around the weak hardware, you get around the storage limits and high costs of carts. Hope this works out.

Plus, weren't there some patent four cloud computing related things before the Switch reveal?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting! Not sure how that fits with the mobile-centric Switch, but it'll be nice to see how this plays out. That being said, mobile broadband in Japan, at least from my very limited understanding, dwarfs what's available in the US in speed, reliability and pricing, so it may not be an issue at all. It also circumvents the issue of storage on cartridges. I wonder how much game data is stored locally, if any?