What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ah the RE2 Remake school of lets move this thing to a different place for no reason. Brilliant.

But lets see hopefully it works however it's done this time.
Based on your posts, Re2R and this one are bad games. Not every Re has to be 100% the same experience with better visuals. By the very nature of changing the perspective of the game and designing the locations as if they were real things would have to change.
So this completely unrelated team funded themselves? Not Capcom? I haven't been following.
The money used for MP would not magically be for SP. That's not how game development works.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to see why it's divisive. I got some RE6 vibes from the trailers... As well I just wonder if the formula grew thin on reviewers. Hm

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
some of these reviews don't make sense

some say not all safe zones are safe
while others say they are.

Is that a difficulty thing?

Basically some are saying nemesis can get into some safe rooms and still attack you, while others are saying that its not. Wondering if this is literally just a difficulty setting now.
I think it's mostly confusion about what counts as a safe room.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Honest question: do people generally expect for a remake to outright replace the original game? I usually don't mind the remake not surpassing the original because I always see them as different experiences. RE2 hasn't been invalidated just because there's a remake of it IMO. Hell, I'd say that even for OG RE1.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
This game was supposed to be included with resident evil 2 remake so I knew it would be short. Capcom thinking this stupid online thing is what we want is nieve.

I enjoyed the ghost stories on 2 remake so I'd of enjoyed ops or something similar.

Oct 28, 2017
Based on your posts, Re2R and this one are bad games. Not every Re has to be 100% the same experience with better visuals. By the very nature of changing the perspective of the game and designing the locations as if they were real things would have to change.

The money used for MP would not magically be for SP. That's not how game development works.
RE2 Remake is a great game. Just has its shortcomings as a remake. I liken it a lot to Tomb Raider Anniversary.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Honest question: do people generally expect for a remake to outright replace the original game? I usually don't mind the remake not surpassing the original because I always see them as different experiences. RE2 hasn't been invalidated just because there's a remake of it IMO. Hell, I'd say that even for OG RE1.

The original doesn't need to be replaced, but the remake should hit the significant beats of the source material even if it's changed or added to in some way. Even though the failure of the A/B scenario implementation in RE2 is a big mark against it, I still think it's a great remake because it feels like a brand new game while, in some form, including almost all of the memorable things from the original RE2. Not everything, mind you, like some of the more minor areas, which is a shame, but it still does an admirable job in my opinion.

But RE3 remake apparently cutting several major areas from its source material is pretty staggering. Almost of all of the game's second half has been completely replaced. These new areas probably still would have been great to see in this remake, but in my opinion, not at the expense of the memorable and inspired environments from the original RE3. Plus, of the four major locales you explore after the rail car/subway train, they for some reason opted to keep the one that feels the MOST disposable and least distinct (the hospital) while axing and replacing everything else.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the RE2 Remake school of lets move this thing to a different place for no reason. Brilliant.

But lets see hopefully it works however it's done this time.
We actually knew where the line was since the previews some time ago, it was in the B-Roll Capcom provided to press, but a lot of people didn't notice it because she got punched by Nemesis after saying "You want-" thus interrupting it. If you want to know where the line is now and the context, I'll spoil tag it but I gotta admit, it's disappointing:

After restoring power to the subway and meeting back up with Carlos, Nemesis shows up. Carlos and Jill duck under a closing shutter, only for Jill to roll back out to the other side to give Carlos and others time. This starts a chase section where you have to run from Nemesis through several corridors, ending in her breaking through a ventilation shaft into the sewers and escaping him. At the very start of the chase, Jill says "Come on, you creepy ass stalker! You want S.T.A.R.S., I'll give you S.T.A.R.S.!". So, the new context is instead of saying the line during a conclusive moment of dominance where she finally kills Nemesis... she instead says it in a section the developers intended you to run away from him. Plus, as mentioned, Nemesis can even interrupt the line if his AI decides to sprint at the start and successfully punches you.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Gonna buy FF7 instead, no way i'm paying full price for the amount of content available. I heard around 5-6hrs for the single player stuff.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Guess that's due to development time or budget. it is kind of a dealbreaker for many fans I guess.

In my opinion, that's a lot of cut content, and had I known this beforehand I might not have preordered the game.
Maybe, I don't question their talent but it just feels like a lot of wasted potential.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
The original doesn't need to be replaced, but the remake should hit the significant beats of the source material even if it's changed or added to in some way. Even though the failure of the A/B scenario implementation in RE2 is a big mark against it, I still think it's a great remake because it feels like a brand new game while, in some form, including almost all of the memorable things from the original RE2. Not everything, mind you, like some of the more minor areas, which is a shame, but it still does an admirable job in my opinion.

But RE3 remake apparently cutting several major areas from its source material is pretty staggering. Almost of all of the game's second half has been completely replaced. These new areas probably still would have been great to see in this remake, but in my opinion, not at the expense of the memorable and inspired environments from the original RE3. Plus, of the four major locales you explore after the rail car/subway train, they for some reason opted to keep the one that feels the MOST disposable and least distinct (the hospital) while axing and replacing everything else.

I wasn't defending what the remake has (or hasn't) done, btw -- hope I didn't gave off that impression. Thanks for taking the time to explain why it bothers you, though!

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It seems to me that if you take REmake 2 and have sections where you can run through with an automatic weapon, or get past 5 zombies with an environmental hazard, you would probably end up with a game the same length as REmake 3 or shorter.
Remake 2 second run took me 4.5 hours 6 for the first run I would say this may be a wee bit longer considerably that

Oct 25, 2017
This game was supposed to be included with resident evil 2 remake so I knew it would be short. Capcom thinking this stupid online thing is what we want is nieve.

I enjoyed the ghost stories on 2 remake so I'd of enjoyed ops or something similar.
If Capcom dropped Resistance and had a legitimate Mercenaries* I think many would be more accepting.
Chris
Jill
Carlos
Leon
Claire
Ada
Hunk

Rebecca, Barry, Kendo, Brad, Marvin, Nicholai, Wesker as DLC

Oct 27, 2017
If Capcom dropped Resistance and had a legitimate Mercenaries* I think many would be more accepting.
Chris
Jill
Carlos
Leon
Claire
Ada
Hunk

Rebecca, Barry, Kendo, Brad, Marvin, Nicholai, Wesker as DLC
What? No.

They needed to bring back the Mercenaries mode with the rules it had in the OG RE3.

I am fine with arcade levels similiar to the ones found in RE4 and 5 as long as the original Operation Mad Jackal returned.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
90 dollars for a 5 hour game when there's so much coming. Bah. I don't do replays much. I guess I'll put this on hold.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's mostly confusion about what counts as a safe room.
Between Mr.X and Nemesis, what would you say had a bigger impact on you? Not considering how different/disappointing he could be from the original. Just in terms of how effective they both are at conveying tension and scare-factor.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't care about scores or cut content from the OG (i haven't played it), but the length of the campaign is a deal breaker (i mean, it is even shorter that a single REmake 2 run). On top of that i have no interest whatsoever on REsistance (which we couldn't even try on PC because the beta is still broken, 4 days before the game launches).

I'm sure i would enjoy it, but i cannot justify paying 45€ for it (much less 60), so i'm gonna request a refund on my preorder and wait for a sale.

I'll keep working on my backlog until FF7r hits.

Oct 27, 2017
We actually knew where the line was since the previews some time ago, it was in the B-Roll Capcom provided to press, but a lot of people didn't notice it because she got punched by Nemesis after saying "You want-" thus interrupting it. If you want to know where the line is now and the context, I'll spoil tag it but I gotta admit, it's disappointing:

After restoring power to the subway and meeting back up with Carlos, Nemesis shows up. Carlos and Jill duck under a closing shutter, only for Jill to roll back out to the other side to give Carlos and others time. This starts a chase section where you have to run from Nemesis through several corridors, ending in her breaking through a ventilation shaft into the sewers and escaping him. At the very start of the chase, Jill says "Come on, you creepy ass stalker! You want S.T.A.R.S., I'll give you S.T.A.R.S.!". So, the new context is instead of saying the line during a conclusive moment of dominance where she finally kills Nemesis... she instead says it in a section the developers intended you to run away from him. Plus, as mentioned, Nemesis can even interrupt the line if his AI decides to sprint at the start and successfully punches you.

Wow that's a really huge downgrade. Just why did they do this? They obviously know it is iconic so why did they change something that was perfect?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
RE2 remake was fantastic so I have no doubt this one will be as well even with these cut areas. The thing i'm not big on is the multiplayer because it is obvious it is complete garbage but other than that I think i'm going to enjoy it. Besides, can't they do something like ghost survivors and add more content to the game?
According to leaks their are new areas on place of cut ones and the OG re3 is a 3 hour game roughly if you don't get lost theirs apparently optionally areas too

Oct 25, 2017
What? No.

They needed to bring back the Mercenaries mode with the rules it had in the OG RE3.

I am fine with arcade levels similiar to the ones found in RE4 and 5 as long as the original Operation Mad Jackal returned.
Thats what I meant, other Mercenaries is good but Mad Jackal is a must.
Characters I mentioned are more to make it even further satisfying to fans.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Might have missed it, but here's Waypoint/Vice Game's review (no score):
www.vice.com

'Resident Evil 3' Review: A Boring Disappointment

Uninteresting design, too much combat, and a boring antagonist add up to a mediocre follow-up one of last year’s best games.
It's not bad enough to hate and not good enough to praise. That's disappointing for two reasons. The remake of Resident Evil 2 was excellent, and the Mr. X encounters suggested that Capcom could update Resident Evil 3 and do something interesting and innovative with Nemesis.

Instead, Capcom chose the most boring path possible.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Not gonna lie all this reactions had me unfazed until this...

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow...just around 80? That's suprising. And looking at the poll everyone else must be surprised as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what I meant, other Mercenaries is good but Mad Jackal is a must.
Characters I mentioned are more to make it even further satisfying to fans.
Ah I see.

It would have been way better. Have Mad Jackal as the main dish. You use the mercenaries and go through the city saving people and finding loot while racing against time. Put a few bosses along the way like every nemesis form and maybe some others like Mr X (and who ever they planned to introduce in Resistance) and I would have been in love.

Add some other modes like the smaller more arcade Merc mode that 4 and 5 has where you pick a character with their own weapons and just go killing things with suplex and cool melee. Add a co op mode (could also work in Mad Jackal).

Would have been cool if they found a way to add Joe Baker and Akuma into the mix as well. Pure melee badassery instead of guns.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the GameXplain review.

Th-they ruined the line.
When you say ruined. Removed completely?

We are talking about
You want STARS
, right?

Huh, I had zero memory of that line. I even checked Youtube for that specific line in the original, and still no bells. I thought it was gonna be a Jill Sandwich situation or something. But now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of memories in general from RE3. I guess that's a good thing in this regard. lol

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

To be honest, I prefer it this way.
The delivery in the original was totally cheesy and didn't make much sense. While here, since
it's used as a bait and a distraction to save everyone
, it feels more genuine and less cheesy.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Might have missed it, but here's Waypoint/Vice Game's review (no score):
www.vice.com

'Resident Evil 3' Review: A Boring Disappointment

Uninteresting design, too much combat, and a boring antagonist add up to a mediocre follow-up one of last year’s best games.
This is more or less how i felt about REmake2, like i wasn't playing as good of an horror game as RE7 but also nowhere as good as an action game as RE4

RE3 looks like the same but a bit worse

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I had zero memory of that line. I even checked Youtube for that specific line in the original, and still no bells. I thought it was gonna be a Jill Sandwich situation or something. But now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of memories in general from RE3. I guess that's a good thing in this regard. lol
It's possible you missed it. It is only said in the original if you make a certain choice after the final boss.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I didn't see it in any reviews I ended up reading but how is the arsenal by the way? I was wondering just how quickly you'll be able to grab heavier weapons with decent ammo counts. Doing the RE2R dance of popping a billion headshots into one zombie was starting to annoy me in RE3's context.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I was going to wait for a sale for this anyway. With FFVII coming out that will be a lot more bang for the buck right now.