• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Kinda wish that in cutscenes, the characters would look like their 98 FMV versions, but I know that's too much to ask lol.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Honestly, the way the characters looked in the FMVs was the scariest thing about the original RE2.

hqdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done Leon A HC. 2:12 at the save point before G3

Should still be able to do it yeah?

Also I'm getting better at G3. Went from dying right away to getting him down twice (and once saw his final phase I think).

Only have a Red/Blue/Green combined herb and I'm on caution health. So that's how dire it looks but I think if I can get past G3, I'll probably be able to beat it.

There is at least one (if not more) FA sprays in the G3 arena. And there's a set of green/blue/red herbs on the way to the Tyrant battle. You should have enough time to make it to S+.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
played through the kendo one. Yeah it is exactly like the hunk 4th survivor stuff.
So if you expected more you will be disappointed.
Cool addition with the backpack zombies and vendor machines though.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
On my S+ run with Leon, I was able to beat G3 and Tyrant using only two full heals, so it's totally doable. Tyrant is surprisingly not that hard to dodge for the most part. Just don't get greedy and try to be half of the platform away from him whenever he starts an attack. He'll have trouble hitting you if you run past his left side.

There is at least one (if not more) FA sprays in the G3 arena. And there's a set of green/blue/red herbs on the way to the Tyrant battle. You should have enough time to make it to S+.

thanks both.

Though I'll admit, it can be pretty hectic trying to find healing items in the G3 fight area. Good thing is, I discovered during this playthrough that you will never go from caution to death unless it's an insta-kill. I used to think you could but nope, you need to be in danger first.

Also I've done well at not using my healing item until after knocking him down at least once (and one time, twice).

At least there isn't much time between the save point and G3/S. Tyrant so when I die, I don't need to do too much I guess time-wise.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished it yesterday with Leon. And I have some mixed feelings.

As a kid I finished this game but when I played the Remake I couldn't remember the story/plot/characters etc. so it was like playing it for the first time. The strange thing is that in my mind RE2 was much bigger story/wise and much better in that regard. Finishing the remake left me confused. Why didnt I remember more and why was this game so so so much better in my memories than what I actually finished yesterday.

Sorry if this feels strange.

BTW: what is the infinite pistol? And how do you get it?

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

As a kid I finished this game but when I played the Remake I couldn't remember the story/plot/characters etc. so it was like playing it for the first time. The strange thing is that in my mind RE2 was much bigger story/wise and much better in that regard. Finishing the remake left me confused. Why didnt I remember more and why was this game so so so much better in my memories than what I actually finished yesterday.

The original RE2 is 3 hours long, per character.

The story was good for its time but obviously dated by today's standards. The REmake has better storytelling, in general.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not even.
No new cutscenes or anything. Not even any dialogue like with Hunk.
Just a text intro to tell you something about the character.

Oh that's disappointing. When initially revealed I was expecting 30 mins per character.

And with the PS blog was expecting 10 mins each.

Oct 25, 2017

You should replay the original if you're curious, but RE2 (and this remake) are both really short stories. You can obviously take as much time as you want to complete either game, but the overall progression through the story, especially after the first playthrough, is pretty short.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The original RE2 is 3 hours long, per character.

The story was good for its time but obviously dated by today's standards. The REmake has better storytelling, in general.

The individual scenes and writing are obviously much improved, but the original 2 did have more additional background context with its greater number of files etc. / and also depicted scenes like Birkin's death and transformation as a cinematic cutscene rather than the remake's found footage approach - one isn't necessarily superior to the other, but it does feel like less of an event.

Some of it could also be that they've just finished the game with the A ending, when the A / B scenarios were added later in development for the remake, and as such the ending of the first run with a character cuts off more abruptly than the original.

Oct 25, 2017
The individual scenes and writing are obviously much improved, but the original 2 did have more additional background context with its greater number of files etc. / and also depicted scenes like Birkin's death and transformation as a cinematic cutscene rather than the remake's found footage approach - one isn't necessarily superior to the other, but it does feel like less of an event.

Some of it could also be that they've just finished the game with the A ending, when the A / B scenarios were added later in development for the remake, and as such the ending of the first run with a character cuts off more abruptly than the original.

There were around 40 files in the original, and there are 58 in the remake. The original's files did have straightforward, and sometimes lengthy, exposition in more of the files, but the remake sprinkled those lore bits in in-game dialogue while the "puzzle solution" files in the remake had more subtle storytelling to them.

I agree with you that one approach is not superior over the other, but to say that original RE2 had more story content is not entirely accurate.

EDIT: Also, the number of files in the original was actually much less if you don't count the EX files introduced in the N64 version.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
what is the infinite pistol? And how do you get it?

Infinite Samurai Edge - Clear S rank on standard difficulity
Infinite Submachine gun - Clear S-rank on Hardcore difficulity
Infinite RPG - Cleare S+ on Hardcore with Leon
Infinite Minigun - Clear S+ on Hardcore with Claire
Infinite Knife - Destroy all 15 Mr.Raccoon in Leon and Claire route

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Infinite Samurai Edge - Clear S rank on standard difficulity
Infinite Submachine gun - Clear S-rank on Hardcore difficulity
Infinite RPG - Cleare S+ on Hardcore with Leon
Infinite Minigun - Clear S+ on Hardcore with Claire
Infinite Knife - Destroy all 15 Mr.Raccoon in Leon and Claire route

What are the requirements for S+ on Hardcore?

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I suck at Ghost Survivors. Tried the Runaway one 6 times now and I can't do it. I suck at dodging zombies and can't figure out how to handle some of the scenarios the game throws at you. I'll have to wait for a walkthrough or something.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, so I guess these Ghost Survivor things are less about expanding the story and more about getting high scores. Sorta in the same vein as Mercenaries.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So, a few basic questions...

Where do I find the parts to move the book case and open the shutter door near the burning helicopter?
If I enter the sewers can i go back to the station?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really think Kendo should be the 2 star difficulty and Katherine the three star difficulty. His run is way easier (both routes) than Katherine's IMO.

Just look at this

Last edited:

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really suck at the sort of gameplay that the Ghost survivors brings. Tried playing as Kendo but died 5 times. Too stressful, can't say I like it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So, a few basic questions...

Where do I find the parts to move the book case and open the shutter door near the burning helicopter?
If I enter the sewers can i go back to the station?
If you're playing as Claire, you can't open that shutter door, so don't worry about it.

The item you need to move the bookcase is located on the west side of the first floor of RPD. It's in a room that you need a key to access.

Yes, you can return to the station via the sewers, but do everything you need to do before you depart the sewers, as there's no coming back then.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
If you're playing as Claire, you can't open that shutter door, so don't worry about it.

The item you need to move the bookcase is located on the west side of the first floor of RPD. It's in a room that you need a key to access.

Yes, you can return to the station via the sewers, but do everything you need to do before you depart the sewers, as there's no coming back then.

Yeah, I'm playing as Clair. I'm missing the club and heart keys. Guess I'll think how to get them later and just enter the sewers.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm playing as Clair. I'm missing the club and heart keys. Guess I'll think how to get them later and just enter the sewers.
You can't get the club key as Claire either, if that helps. Just the heart key. I'm letting you know so you don't go somewhat mad trying to get a key that doesn't exist in your playthrough, like I did in mine.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
You can't get the club key as Claire either, if that helps. Just the heart key. I'm letting you know so you don't go somewhat mad trying to get a key that doesn't exist in your playthrough, like I did in mine.

Oh good, thanks. I already waste enough time doing test runs that lead into nothing and have been looking everywhere for stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
The Ghost survivor Scenarios suck. It's more of the obnoxious: Look let's throw annyoing shit at you, while punishing you for playing the game normally.
They feel like a chore rather than an interesting variation on the core gameplay.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So all the fluff about "learn their stories" "what if" was bullshit and it's just... survivors?

Meh. I get why it's this cheap mode (because it's free) but then why tease it like that?

The Ghost survivor Scenarios suck. It's more of the obnoxious: Look let's throw annyoing shit at you, while punishing you for playing the game normally.
They feel like a chore rather than an interesting variation on the core gameplay.

Bonus modes in Resident Evil didn't get good until Mercenaries, the thing in 0 also sucks big time. Like, they just didn't figure it out yet, enemy placement etc just feels off.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Bonus modes in Resident Evil didn't get good until Mercenaries, the thing in 0 also sucks big time. Like, they just didn't figure it out yet, enemy placement etc just feels off.
I wouldn't say they "didn't get good" until Mercenaries. It's just they were different because the gameplay was different. RE0-CV had gameplay created to suit a survival horror game. Discourage combat. Ensure the player feels weak. That by Shinji Mikami own words is was survival horror in RE games was about. That doesn't translate the way some people want it to in an bonus arcade mode. Mercenaries mode and beyond were included in ACTION based RE's that had gameplay fundamentals and loops that encouraged combat. That type of gameplay lends itself to the type of arcade mode people seem to want.

In REmake2 (and all other survival horror RE's) your player moves fairly clunky, they're not the quickest, they don't turn smoothly, your weapons aren't GOAT, aiming is difficult, you have no melee moves, your health drains quickly, enemies are tough to go down, they sway and move in ways that make them difficult to hit, they're aggressive and lunge that you etc... None of this lends itself to a Raid or Mercenaries type mode.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I wouldn't say they "didn't get good" until Mercenaries. It's just they were different because the gameplay was different. RE0-CV had gameplay created to suit a survival horror game. Discourage combat. Ensure the player feels weak. That by Shinji Mikami own words is was survival horror in RE games was about. That doesn't translate the way some people want it to in an bonus arcade mode. Mercenaries mode and beyond were included in ACTION based RE's that had gameplay fundamentals and loops that encouraged combat. That type of gameplay lends itself to the type of arcade mode people seem to want.

In REmake2 (and all other survival horror RE's) your player moves fairly clunky, they're not the quickest, they don't turn smoothly, your weapons aren't GOAT, aiming is difficult, you have no melee moves, your health drains quickly, enemies are tough to go down, they sway and move in ways that make them difficult to hit, they're aggressive and lunge that you etc... None of this lends itself to a Raid or Mercenaries type mode.

The "mercenaries" in RE3 was quite good.