• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just spent the last hour or so looking at the unlockable models. They're incredible. Especially the zombies! I highly recommend people have a long, good look at them.

FUN FACT: Most of the male zombies have what looks like shit stains on their bums. Capcom have truly outdone themselves!

Well, I don't blame them, when you're a zombie I doubt you have any control over you bowl movement.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I have a question about my story progression, can anyone shed some light without revealing too much.

I got the three medallions, and went down into the sewer area. I thought that I could go back to RPD but it doesn't look like it. There were many rooms that I couldn't access around RPD, and I'm nervous I missed out on some things. Can I eventually go back to RPD and explore the area's I may have missed?

Also, the game is fucking amazing. Love it
You'll be back. Don't sweat it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Imagine you don't even open VHS tape as it's optional. This is one of the part that I wish they just go with normal cutscene. And there is no good OST too.
It continues the trend of showing its most impactful moments in a grounded in-game fashion rather than cutscenes. I really loved the unhinged introduction to Mr. X and the Licker where you see them appear in front of you doing some sort of taunting scripted thing, and you're just left to react immediately without knowing what they're going to do if they get too close. I suppose it just didn't quite pay off with the VHS because, honestly, the original plot of RE2 was very cheesy but fit that era so well because of our capabilities in production quality and expectations for video games... but today that same plot doesn't ring the same when put into grounded visuals and convincing facial animation and etc. It just comes across as cheesy now.

It's crazy how well some scenes like Kendo, Marvin or Irons do however. It's just the ultimate plot of the game that comes across as extra cheesy now, culminating with the Alpha team closing in on Birkin.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this whole post is top-tier, but I have two questions regarding the bold sections.

1. I'm playing Claire A Hardcore, and I'm in the parking lot section. There's a room with a pair of Lickers instead of Dogs and for the life of me I haven't been able to enter the room without at least one of them being loaded in such a manner that it's impossible to sneak by them. Should I use something against them?

2. I'm assuming it's too late to board up those windows in particular, huh?
If one of them aggros immediately then you might have to burn a flash grenade yea. Even with Claire's arsenal (much better than Leon's imo) it's not worth either the risk or the ammo to try to take it out. It's up to you though, Claire has more efficient ways of killing them overall, with Leon you really just have to pump them with like 8 shotgun shells or more and it's ridiculous.

At this point, when you return to those areas there'll probably already be a zombie coming in through those windows, so it's too late in that sense yea. The issue is you really want to avoid extra things to deal with in those areas because of the Lickers...

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have a question about my story progression, can anyone shed some light without revealing too much.

I got the three medallions, and went down into the sewer area. I thought that I could go back to RPD but it doesn't look like it. There were many rooms that I couldn't access around RPD, and I'm nervous I missed out on some things. Can I eventually go back to RPD and explore the area's I may have missed?

Also, the game is fucking amazing. Love it
Yes you'll get the chance in a bit

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It continues the trend of showing its most impactful moments in a grounded in-game fashion rather than cutscenes. I really loved the unhinged introduction to Mr. X and the Licker where you see them appear in front of you doing some sort of taunting scripted thing, and you're just left to react immediately without knowing what they're going to do if they get too close. I suppose it just didn't quite pay off with the VHS because, honestly, the original plot of RE2 was very cheesy but fit that era so well because of our capabilities in production quality and expectations for video games... but today that same plot doesn't ring the same when put into grounded visuals and convincing facial animation and etc. It just comes across as cheesy now.

It's crazy how well some scenes like Kendo, Marvin or Irons do however. It's just the ultimate plot of the game that comes across as extra cheesy now, culminating with the Alpha team closing in on Birkin.

Well, for sure. They nailed it with MrX and Licker introduction, no cutscene, just what happen in front of you. I still remember my first encounter with it as I didn't notice it was on the ceiling, and as soon as its tougue out to get the zombie , I scream like a little girl.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going out on a limb saying it's the best product Capcom has ever put out. It's the best RE game for me by far.

Have to agree with you there, RE7 was my previous favourite but RE2R has got to be the new numero uno.

This fucking game, man. I'm in Claire 2nd run and I got down to where the Interrogation room is
and noticed that the glass was intact and thought "hmm, I remember it being broken in my initial run" and the fucking moment I finish that thought a Licker busts through it.
10/10

So true. Best part for me was that it took me a while to remember and I was standing right in front with Claire when it happened!

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
How do the collectibles achievements work exactly?

Like I'm still currently in my first playthrough Leon A scenario. But I heard some collectibles are scattered across different scenarios. On my first playthrough id like to play and get the true ending and enjoy it but if I got the true ending wouldn't that lock me out of the other two scenarios for collectibles? When do they actually count and register? Do you have to finish every scenario for the collectibles to count?

I know the raccoon toys count as soon as you shoot one as it saves them straight away.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do the collectibles achievements work exactly?

Like I'm still currently in my first playthrough Leon A scenario. But I heard some collectibles are scattered across different scenarios. On my first playthrough id like to play and get the true ending and enjoy it but if I got the true ending wouldn't that lock me out of the other two scenarios for collectibles? When do they actually count and register? Do you have to finish every scenario for the collectibles to count?

I know the raccoon toys count as soon as you shoot one as it saves them straight away.
It all count right away just like the raccoon toys.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Honestly, this whole post is top-tier, but I have two questions regarding the bold sections.

1. I'm playing Claire A Hardcore, and I'm in the parking lot section. There's a room with a pair of Lickers instead of Dogs and for the life of me I haven't been able to enter the room without at least one of them being loaded in such a manner that it's impossible to sneak by them. Should I use something against them?

Didn't see anyone answer you on this but this is how I did it.
You should be able to sneak past them getting into the kennel, but every time I came back from the morgue, like you described one Licker was always completely blocking off the small hallway back into the bigger space with the dead dogs. There's a blocked path on your left with junk that has a gap, which you can throw a stun grenade over to distract both with enough time to run past and out.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the tone is wonky. I think it's because it is written by primarily japanese people but clearly having aimed for a western style of dialogue to suit the western direction of the cinematics.
The writing is fine. Leon's voice actor on the other hand can't deliver on a lot of his lines. He completely no sells it sometimes. He started off pretty good but as I get close to NEST I'm noticing some wonky voice work from him. It comes off like the voice actor doesn't feel fully immersed and dedicated to the character.

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Best Leon A last night. Really impressed with how they fleshed out the two other environments, which always felt like a much steeper drop off in the original RE2. I wish the lab was a little bigger, and I definitely prefer it's look in the original, but the stuff you do there is all great. I have a few disappointments when I compare this to the original game (mostly in regards to a few enemies, areas, and story things that were cut) but I may end up preferring this one due to how expanded the later levels are and how much more uncompromising of a survival horror experience it is. Really impressed Capcom released such a polished AAA game that is also completely devoid of filler (it's a good thing it left me wanting more) and totally unafraid of making the player on edge of failure at pretty much all times. This isn't the across the board improvement the first remake was, but it exceeded my expectations in almost every way and may now be in my top 3 RE games. We'll see if Claire B changes any of my thoughts though.

As far as 7 goes, this obviously destroys the level design, pacing, puzzles, and enemy variety, but I as fun as all the boss fights were in this I don't think any topped the 2nd Jack or Marguerite fights from that game (but fortunately this actually had climactic boss fights). I also think 7 is still the scarier game and I generally prefer the atmosphere of that one. If RE8 combines what is great about the two games, then we're really in for something wild.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The original game has enough ammo for you to take out everything you encounter. This game on standard had me running from X and lickers without any ammo period. With a fully-upgraded and focused-reticle Matilda, it takes 10 shots to down a zombie toward the end. I don't see the comparisons.

I'm eager to give it a shot, but I'm very content with my first run being standard difficulty, giving me things to aspire to afterward.

I just reached NEST and have a lot of ammo saved, I just kill what's not 100% avoidable.

Also taking my sweet time, I'm 8 hours in...

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I absolutely love how the zombies you kill don't disappear. It's so great coming back into a room and remembering how you killed a zombie while looking at its bloody, limbless body. It adds A LOT to the atmosphere.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I've not played the B scenario yet but did they totally take out the Mr X cutscene of him getting helicopter dropped into the RPD?

Dec 6, 2017
US
The adaptive Difficulty kinda sucks, doesn't it? I had a Zombie yesterday that I HAD to get rid off which took 14 fucking.45 Cal bullets to take down. I get that this system is in place to keep you on your toes but boi shit sure can get get annoying.

Yes, and I fucking hate it. The better you're doing, the tougher enemies progressively get, and the worse you do, the easier they get. Difficulties exist for a reason, there's no need to alter them while playing.

It feels like a very transparent way to make you waste ammo, like several other decisions. It feels lame as hell when it very obviously happens. If I've been doing well, I'd like to reward myself with being able to use the damn ammo I've been conserving and not have the game slap my hand with a "lol zombie #78 now takes a whole handgun clip".

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna have to ditch the Matilda once I enter NEST. I don't think it's gonna be useful from this point on.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Got the platinum trophy over the weekend, hell of a lot of Resident Evil 2 in a short timeframe, but damn I loved it. I can't get enough of that franchise and RE2 Remake was probably the pinnacle for me.

Toughest trophy for me was probably doing the no item box run, I kept ending up accidentally with items I had no use for, and grabbing weapons and weapon enhancements I didn't need which took up valuable inventory space.

Hardcore mode though was surprisingly rewarding and fun, I prefer it over the other modes because it felt the most like the original RE2. Once you really understand Mr. X's AI he's actually one of the less threatening things in that game.

Oct 27, 2017
The writing is fine. Leon's voice actor on the other hand can't deliver on a lot of his lines. He completely no sells it sometimes. He started off pretty good but as I get close to NEST I'm noticing some wonky voice work from him. It comes off like the voice actor doesn't feel fully immersed and dedicated to the character.

I thought that. Often, especially with the incidental comments he spouts he just sounds mildly irritated rather than horrified.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Been playing this game at a slow pace, just enjoying every moment because i don't want it to end. I miss games like this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love Leon's casual outfit. Nice that you can wear it for the whole game if you want.

I like that the environment can affect it too, like when you're getting out of the sewer water the outfit is wet up to the point the water was. Sometimes bonus outfits don't apply those kind of details so that's cool to see.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ran into Mr. X for the first time yesterday, and I just turn around and fled, didn't even care to know if he was following me, fuuuuck that shit.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I was doing the lab last night and was marveling at the flamethrower fire.

Oh dude, don't even get me started on that glorious flamethrower.

fNNHuJs.jpg

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
So I just jumped into Leon B and made the switch from standard to hardcore.

Help! Bet this has been asked a lot before, but how exactly you get past a licker? I can't seem to be able do it.
I walk super slow but they smell me or something and eventually they bump into me and I'm getting destroyed.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Didn't see anyone answer you on this but this is how I did it.
You should be able to sneak past them getting into the kennel, but every time I came back from the morgue, like you described one Licker was always completely blocking off the small hallway back into the bigger space with the dead dogs. There's a blocked path on your left with junk that has a gap, which you can throw a stun grenade over to distract both with enough time to run past and out.
I ran into the same on Claire A Normal, so this might not apply...

Carefully walking into and out of the room, seemed to get it to move eventually. At first I thought the game was trying to force combat on me (On my Claire B run, I killed them) but eventually it moved onto the wall.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I like that the environment can affect it too, like when you're getting out of the sewer water the outfit is wet up to the point the water was. Sometimes bonus outfits don't apply those kind of details so that's cool to see.
Yeah, it looks amazing. They really put the effort in.
Those sneakers are great for running away from Mr X :D
I love the look of them lol.

Also, I tried playing around with the brightness settings for the first time since I started it, and pushing the last image test to be a bit brighter makes this much easier to see the environments. Think I'll keep adjusting it until I get it just right, but I feel I've been playing it way too dark, even though I do like nice inky blacks.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
The game looks pretty good, but I'm skeptical after playing RE7. My problem with that game was that it was so painfully slow to move your character that it made the game far more tedious than it needed to be. I played the demo, and it did feel a little better, but it still wasn't as fluid as I'd have liked. I'm curious what anything thinks.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a "roadmap" or walkthrough for the 14000 step achievement? What route to take for optimal steppage, etc

I cranked out a Claire A Standard S+ run last night, was pretty painless and intended for achievement cleanup. Gonna do one for Leon later this week.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I still don't really grasp stealthing around Lickers fully even after beating Leon A. It seemed like a crapshoot with them usually crawling right into my required path and not budging unless I aggro'd them. Worst case was

the two Lickers in the Lab (on Normal). I attempted to sneak around them three separate times, each resulting in them simply blocking my path. Ended up wasting most of my Magnum ammo on blasting them.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So have we heard anything about this free DLC stuff that Capcom is working on? The free DLC for VII was pretty meh. Thinking about selling the game after I finish it.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I still don't really grasp stealthing around Lickers fully even after beating Leon A. It seemed like a crapshoot with them usually crawling right into my required path and not budging unless I aggro'd them. Worst case was

With the lickers, as long as you aren't running, any walking speed is considered "okay" around them. Even though you can audibly hear the footsteps, it doesn't bother the lickers. They do get alerted and try to "investigate" where you are, but if you just keep moving they leave you alone as long as you don't touch them.

There are about 4 lickers in the game that do by default attack you the moment you see them though as a scripted event. One is coming outside of the kennel (not the two in the kennel), one is after the lady medallion with the C4, and the last two are in the lab. These you cannot sneak past no matter what, and I always save any flame rounds or magnum ammo I have for these encounters in my playthroughs.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I love it when games have unlockables like models, always cool to look at them and see their detail. The fact that this game has a remix of the old safe room theme just makes it even better.

Dec 6, 2017
US
With the lickers, as long as you aren't running, any walking speed is considered "okay" around them. Even though you can audibly hear the footsteps, it doesn't bother the lickers. They do get alerted and try to "investigate" where you are, but if you just keep moving they leave you alone as long as you don't touch them.

There are about 4 lickers in the game that do by default attack you the moment you see them though as a scripted event. One is coming outside of the kennel (not the two in the kennel), one is after the lady medallion with the C4, and the last two are in the lab. These you cannot sneak past no matter what, and I always save any flame rounds or magnum ammo I have for these encounters in my playthroughs.

I had a rather funny moment in that last one. I walked into a corner thinking it would walk along the hallway and instead it crawled towards me and stopped right by my feet and wouldn't budge at all. Equipped the flash grenade thinking I could simply distract them and as soon as hit L2 and my arms raised, the thing went bananas and I got torn up.