• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Digital Devil Saga are the three games I wish there was a good way to play on modern systems in the UK.
I'm still so disappointed that as far as I know the Vita and PS3 are no longer receiving more PS1 ports. There is a huge amount available but it's still missing some games I would love to play on the go. It's already bad that a lot of the games we have available didn't make it to Europe.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait, I don't remember, when have I ever said this o_O

And no, the start isn't fine lol. It's pretty shitty, as is a lot of the other stuff in the game. The game just manages to rise above its disappointments to deliver a great experience by the end, imo.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean you. I was making light of people who let a small portion of a game color their entire experience.

Thats sucks. I just checked and its available in America.

So is Chrono Cross a sequel to Chrono Trigger or something?

Yup. A sequel to Trigger.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Tell that to ten-year-old me.

Criticly, yes they were. But, like the Star Wars movies, there was (and is) a vocal minority of the fan base that goes after the titles. VIII was absolutely beat on by fans when it released. As was X (for super dumb reasons), as was XII.

This is probably one more negative forums for XV, too. Outside of the forum it's pretty loved.

Final Fantasy XV is a truly beautiful and amazing masterpiece.

n9sKULx.gif

zp0bHaC.gif

At the levels of great games, like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest :)

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
For sure but I disagree on limiting platformers in particular to 50, especially if Metroidvanias are likely to get decent support. If this (rpg) list had only been 50, the games would have been pretty predictable and the main question would be placement. Because it was doubled, it gives a lot of hidden gems exposure and reminds even core rpg fans of games they forgot to play.

Platformers have enough history where it's pretty much similar numbers (50ish obvious games in a debatable order and another 100+ games of high quality that might need more exposure).

Hm, true. I'm coming at it from a place of doing 100+ banners, which required people to collect data, gather write-ups, aggregate votes, collaborate and put everything into a format that can somewhat quickly be put into a template, and finalize, upload, and post the final product.

Do remember people here love data and fancy presentation. If your team is comfortable doing 100, go for it. Just wanted to share my thoughts as part of the 5-6 person team on this project. I'd be eager to see how it turns out.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having just beat FFXII I think it's spot in this list is pretty good. I loved the characters and I actually enjoyed the real-time field battle system. The gambits to program your team was interesting as well.

Currently going through FFX.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
If this thread is any indication, a top-101 platformer thread would be an amazing thing. Imagine:

--Salt whenever a 3D Sonic game makes it on the list
--Salt whenever a Kirby game other than Super Star makes the list
--Confusion over certain games making a list because they are not "pure platformers" that havr heavy adventure or have third-person shooting elements
--General arguements on which 2D platformers were better Sonic or Mario
--a lot of older games from dead franchises or niche franchises placing low or not placing at all due to hardly anyone having a chance or patience to play them
--General OST talk

And most important of all

--Super Mario Sunshine Top 20 gif spam
I'd kinda be pretty salty when Celeste eventually end up being in the top 3 because it just came out this year.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably too frequent and would kill turnout. Quarterly is probably the sweet spot. We do rpg in summer and goty in winter, so fall and spring we can cycle through the list.

I like the quarterly idea with spring and fall rotation of genres. It'd prevent burnout and also help some smaller/less fought about genres have a taste of the bloodshed.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry that you felt the need to spend all that time collecting those links, but nope. I've already said in another post that Liberi Fatali and The Landing (and ok I'll give you Fithos Lusec, forgot about that one) are the only non-endgame tracks I really like, and this list does nothing to change that.

FWIW I don't get tired of the main battle/boss themes in previous FF, I still like them to this day, and I've hated the 8 ones (including Laguna battles and regular boss battles) since the beginning. Thanks for trying but you won't change my mind.
Then i feel sorry that someone murdered your ears.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
this poll was made shortly after FF XV's release. I'd assume if the poll was done again in January 2019, things would be much different. XV would probably fall somewhere between XIV and IV
The poll was not made shortly after XVs release. And the Royal and PC versions are the best versions yet. A lot of votes in this very thread indicated that the improvements made were the reason it ranked so high for them. So why would it fall in ranking over time? A lot of those who hated VIII and VII argued they wouldn't age well because of the design styles but here we are 20 years later and both games have grown more beloved.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
The poll was not made shortly after XVs release. And the Royal and PC versions are the best versions yet. A lot of votes in this very thread indicated that the improvements made were the reason it ranked so high for them. So why would it fall in ranking over time? A lot of those who hated VIII and VII argued they wouldn't age well because of the design styles but here we are 20 years later and both games have grown more beloved.
for some reason I thought FFXV came out in 2017

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
This is like booing this list because Final Fantasy is dominant here. :p

The problem is, reasonably Final Fantasy, at most, probably has like 5 top 20 entries

- FFX
- FFVII
- FFVI

and then maybe FFIX and Tactics.

A top 20 of a platformer list could realistically be HALF MARIO!

- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario World 2
- Super Mario 3D World

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Music is one of the most subjective qualities of games. Like my favorite dungeon track from Persona 5 was the fifth dungeon, and if you read any persona 5 thread at the time the majority opinion of that track was it was one step below nail scratching on a chalkboard. Meanwhile everyone praised the sixth dungeon track but that was very low down on the list of my favorite tracks from the game.

I think the games that have the standout soundtracks are ones that have multiple kinds of music to appeal to everyone. I can definitely see why FFVIII could be an all-or-nothing soundtrack.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
An essential platformer thread would be cool but

1. Only 1 2D Mario, only 1 3D Mario, only 1 2D Sonic...

make people choose between their favourites and I think you'd have more interesting lists and chats.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
He was probably talking about the ost

I refer to ALL the game of Final Fantasy XV.

Final Fantasy XV is a masterpiece
also thanks to its enormous qualities, such as:

OST exceptional

BS spectacular

Epic story

Exceptional lore

Incredible spells

Epics Summon (epic like those of FF VII, VIII, and IX)

Great well-built protagonists
(with a huge evolution in time)

Villan perfect (Ardyn is at the level of Kefka as best villan)

Great CG (which brought me the same emotions of Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX)

Fun mini-games

Stratospheric open world

Fantastic Regalia and Chocobo

Dungeons impressive
and very varied (the best ever made for the series Final Fantasy)

Graphic effects, and particle, practically perfect

Realistic lighting perfect (the best I've ever seen in an openworld)

Animations of the characters perfect (the best for an openworld
RPG in this generation)

Excellent DLC (Episode Prompto and Episode Ignis are among the best DLCs I've played in this generation
[as quality / price ratio])

Spectacular and beautiful ending (one of the best ever made)

etc ...

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
A top 20 of a platformer list could realistically be HALF MARIO!

- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario World 2
- Super Mario 3D World

Realistically you're not wrong, but it's about the journey and the friends we made along the way and not the destination. :P

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

make people choose between their favourites and I think you'd have more interesting lists and chats.

Agreed. I feel like it would be really roguelike heavy outside of that (especially the modern wave of flash/pixel stuff) but atleast that would be an interesting list of games.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Final Fantasy XV is a masterpiece also thanks to its enormous qualities, such as:

OST exceptional

BS spectacular

Epic story

Exceptional lore

Incredible spells

Great well-built protagonists (with a huge evolution in time)

Great CG

Fun mini-games

Stratospheric open world

etc ...
Man sounds great. I was going to wait until I've played all the games in the series, but I think I'm just gonna go head first into XV now.

Thank you :)

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017

Final Fantasy XV is a masterpiece also thanks to its enormous qualities, such as:

OST exceptional

BS spectacular

Epic story

Exceptional lore

Incredible spells

Great CG

Fun mini-games

Stratospheric open world

etc ...

Maybe it's because I only played FFXV as it was at release, but I can only agree with the OST being exceptional. I still often listen to the soundtrack at work. I don't agree with all the hate it gets, because I think it's a decent game and it has good qualities like the OST and an interesting open world. However, much of the game felt rushed/unfinished and many of its aspects were poorly executed. Especially the story.

Maybe its story is decent, but I couldn't tell because it's told very poorly. As someone who is rather easily hooked by videogame plots, I felt nearly nothing for Noctis and the gang.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Platformers are my favorite genre along RPGs but a poll like this would be the most boring thing ever. Top 20 would be all Mario with Sonic 2 somewhere in between.
Man sounds great. I was going to wait until I've played all the games in the series, but I think I'm just gonna go head first into XV now.

Thank you :)
My guy Frontier getting that paycheck.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does the BS stand for here? I'm assuming it's not "bullshit spectacular" lol

EDIT: Oh battle system, nevermind

I will say that XV right now is a much better game than it was at launch, like night and day, and anyone who only played it at launch might be surprised if they give it another shot now. I'm actually enjoying the PC version quite a bit.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

OST exceptional

BS spectacular

Epic story

Exceptional lore

Incredible spells

Fun mini-games

Stratospheric open world

Dungeons impressive and very varied (the best ever made for the series Final Fantasy)

etc ...
........................ ok then

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Final Fantasy XV is a truly beautiful and amazing masterpiece.

n9sKULx.gif

zp0bHaC.gif

At the levels of great games, like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest :)

OST exceptional

BS spectacular

Epic story

Exceptional lore

Incredible spells

Fun mini-games

Stratospheric open world

Dungeons impressive and very varied (the best ever made for the series Final Fantasy)

Graphic effects, and particle, practically perfect

Realistic lighting perfect (the best I've ever seen in an openworld)

Animations of the characters perfect (the best for an openworld RPG in this generation)

Spectacular and beautiful ending (one of the best ever made)

etc ...

I love your passion and dedication, my dude. But if you can turn down a few notches with the bolding and whatnot it would be most appreciated.

He admitted the mistake. It's all good.

What does the BS stand for here? I'm assuming it's not "bullshit spectacular" lol

Battle System.

Edit:
I will say that XV right now is a much better game than it was at launch, like night and day, and anyone who only played it at launch might be surprised if they give it another shot now. I'm actually enjoying the PC version quite a bit.

I wish more would give it a second go.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, we don't do it for final fantasy, let's not do it for Mario and Sonic. And to some degree they will steal votes from each other. Sonic, especially, I see suffering from this. And there would have to be an official ruling on sonic 3 and Sonic and knuckles. To me that's two different games, but I know people will want to combine them

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 maybe. XBC2, i seriously doubt it.

Knowing my luck, today will wipe Nocturne, Earthbound, and Suikoden II, and all I'll have left for the top 20 is Planescape.