JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im not a huge fan of Xenoblade 2 myself, and never finished XB2, so maybe it gets better, idk. With that said, Im happy for the people who hold it in high regards.

Ill prob go back to it one day and try to finish it, or play it more, but to me I just have so many other games to play to focus on something I wasnt having much fun with.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I'm not that agog to finally try Xenogears (compared to other PS1 games I missed in Europe back in the day) is that I have a hard time believing that the story could really be as good as people make it out to be, considering it's from the same guy who wrote the cringefest Xenoblade. The latter was the most trite animu shlock, regardless of its unique setting. Then I look at the characters and trailers of Xenoblade 2 and know everything I need to.
Xenogears has some cheesy dialogue and could have been compressed to make a shorter game but I think the story itself really is much better than Xenoblade's. It's one of my favourite RPGs and I typically don't like the really story-heavy Japanese ones. Don't expect Planescape: Torment quality writing, though.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Morrowind and FFXII are way too low for me. That said I think I remember FFXII being even lower previously so it's an improvement... I guess Zodiac Age helped.

It certainly has. I bought it a month or so ago, and have yet to play it. Who knows, maybe I will vote for it next time as well.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I don't think Radiata Stories made the cut but damn, I loved that game.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
YES, that is the the next logical genre to tackle. I don't have the time or programs to do graphic design, but I would love to assist in any other way behind the scenes and have experience with statistics and spreadsheets.

I think this is the one other genre where a top 100 is definitely doable if willing.

Don't settle! We can do 100!
Woo! I'm totally down for a platformer top 100. I suppose once this list is complete, I'm ready to work on this if you guys or anyone else wants to help out. I haven't done a big ERA project like this before, but it sounds like fun.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I would actually prefer a FPS thread than a platformer one, but id still be glad to see one for platforming.

The first question id have though is, would you be including metroidvania games such as Ori and Hollow Knight?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, indeed. It could get better but I am about five hours into that game and not having a lot of fun. Combat is boring, Rex and Pyra are my least favorite leads in a JRPG so far, and everyone is a walking trope.
Xenoblade 2 takes forever to get going. I almost dropped it about ten hours in because I found it a slog. Ten it clicks around the end of chapter 3 and never lets go. Stick with it, it's worth it!

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, indeed. It could get better but I am about five hours into that game and not having a lot of fun. Combat is boring, Rex and Pyra are my least favorite leads in a JRPG so far, and everyone is a walking trope.
I beat it in about 60 hours, and no it doesn't get better. I dropped all the terrible sidequests and drudged my way to the ending just for the sake of completion.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get ready everyone
FdVApPf.gif

4XWr66X.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's funny how the only only good songs (except like one or two) in FFVIII are all in the final sequence of the game (The Castle, The Extreme, The Legendary Beast). Those particular tracks are exceptionally good, though, but overall the OST for that game is a mess, incredibly disappointing after a perfect batting record from Uematsu. Can't get over how bad the regular battle themes are, either (which I find inexcusable in any RPG where you'll hear it over and over).
Fucking lol

I'm down for a platformer thread! Then I can ramble about my love of Klonoa for hours
I loved Klonoa back then. Waheu!

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
The first question id have though is, would you be including metroidvania games such as Ori and Hollow Knight?

If it's anything like this thread it would be up to each voter to decide and they would probably do poorly as a result since their primary genre isn't necessarily platforming. Like BotW on an action-adventure or open world game essentials list could probably even get #1, but as an rpg it failed to break top 50 though it did get some votes as enough people consider it to be at least partially rpg.

BUT Metroidvanias would do well in the Essential Action-Adventures and Essential Indies lists. There could even be a mini-list of top 20 just for them.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I thought VIII had the best OST of PS1 and, honestly, of all FF games pre-FFX. I heard that even Uematsu or someone prominent thought VIII had the best OST. Was either Uematsu or Amano.
Uematsu and Sakaguchi think that Final Fantasy IX was their best soundtrack (they're wrong).

Amano might have the tea though.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
It's funny how the only only good songs (except like one or two) in FFVIII are all in the final sequence of the game (The Castle, The Extreme, The Legendary Beast). Those particular tracks are exceptionally good, though, but overall the OST for that game is a mess, incredibly disappointing after a perfect batting record from Uematsu. Can't get over how bad the regular battle themes are, either (which I find inexcusable in any RPG where you'll hear it over and over).

Premonition, The Man With the Machine Gun, the Dollett assault (both demo and final game versions) are all great. Maybe I'm A Lion is fantastic too but that's also end of the game. I think FF8 has the best overall soundtrack next to FF7 honestly.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like this thread it would be up to each voter to decide and they would probably do poorly as a result since their primary genre isn't necessarily platforming. Like BotW on an action-adventure or open world game essentials list could probably even get #1, but as an rpg it failed to break top 50 though it did get some votes as enough people consider it to be at least partially rpg.

BUT Metroidvanias would do well in the Essential Action-Adventures and Essential Indies lists. There could even be a mini-list of top 20 just for them.
Recent ones like Ori and Hollow Knight would probably get a lot more votes than some of the best (non adventure hybrid) platformers of all time like the Shinobi games.

Last edited:

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

Fucking lol

I loved Klonoa back then. Waheu!
Omg the little language they spoke was adorable! I need Klonoa in smash!

U know what a top 100 horror games would be pretty cool as well

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu and Sakaguchi think that Final Fantasy IX was their best soundtrack (they're wrong).

Amano might have the tea though.
This is not entirely true. At the time that he was interviewed and said that FFIX was his best soundtrack, FFIX was in its hype cycle so IMO naturally he would say it was his favorite (what is he supposed to say? "Oh no the newest one isn't my best work, go back to the early stuff.")

On the other hand, he has been saying for years now that his favorite soundtrack is Final Fantasy VI.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually prefer a FPS thread than a platformer one, but id still be glad to see one for platforming.

That open-ended question is why I'd be curious on a platformer list. It's an insanely wide genre that encompasses a lot of other genre off-shoots. It'd be a glorious mess.

I say that as someone who for many early years took a hardline stance on what a olatformer was - no metroidvania, no contra, etc. But as genres have merged and proliferated I take a very wide view on platforming - yes metroid, yes contra, yes sands of time...

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This is not entirely true. At the time that he was interviewed and said that FFIX was his best soundtrack, FFIX was in its hype cycle so IMO naturally he would say it was his favorite (what is he supposed to say? "Oh no the newest one isn't my best work, go back to the early stuff.")

On the other hand, he has been saying for years now that his favorite soundtrack is Final Fantasy VI.
At least he didn't have the audacity to say that about Final Fantasy X! Hamauzu, and Nakano, were the ones that were responsible for that glorious soundtrack and arranging Uematsu's best stuff.

Like... this is just bad lol.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
At least he didn't have the audacity to say that about Final Fantasy X! Hamauzu, and Nakano, were the ones that were responsible for that glorious soundtrack and arranging Uematsu's best stuff.

Like... this is just bad lol.

the worst contributions to this soundtrack were from uematsu, thank god he wasn't sole composer

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Don't sleep on Divinity OS2 console bros. It already ranks high on this list by PC votes alone and it'll be even better when the Definitive Edition releases this month for PC and consoles.

That is a damn good RPG.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really hard to nail down a definition for platformer, but I think Metroidvanias, including both Metroid and Castlevania, are pretty solidly platformers, though I personally wouldn't consider Metroid Prime one despite some platforming mechanics. I suppose it's similar to the RPGs, in which many games have RPG mechanics, though may not be RPGs themselves, it comes down to the primary focus of the game play.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
It's going to be really hard to nail down a definition for platformer, but I think Metroidvanias, including both Metroid and Castlevania, are pretty solidly platformers, though I personally wouldn't consider Metroid Prime one despite some platforming mechanics. I suppose it's similar to the RPGs, in which many games have RPG mechanics, though may not be RPGs themselves, it comes down to the primary focus of the game play.
By the way, if anyone is actually serious about doing a platformer list in the future, I'll be happy to help out in anyway I can. Maybe not a top 100, but I think a top 50 at least is doable.
watch Zelda BOTW sneak in that as well, because Era likes to put it in any list it can
Why are we arguing about xb2 lol, I don't even see it on the list
because it did rank, but people think it ranked over Xenoblade 1. A foolish yet rookie mistake

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Premonition, The Man With the Machine Gun, the Dollett assault (both demo and final game versions) are all great. Maybe I'm A Lion is fantastic too but that's also end of the game. I think FF8 has the best overall soundtrack next to FF7 honestly.
Premonition is also pretty much end-game too (I guess it plays in earlier battles against Edea? can't remember, it's been 20 years...). The Landing is good despite the Hans Zimmer rip-off (the demo version was extremely shameless in that haha), and that one along with Liberi Fatali are the only non-end game songs I liked. I couldn't believe how bad the OST was overall though. And oh boy don't get me started on Man With Machine Gun, always found it godawful (somehow the orchestral version is really cool though, weird) and its popularity never ceases to mystify me. :D I never cared for Maybe I'm a Lion much either. The Deep Purple nod is nice and all, and the song isn't awful but it doesn't fit a final boss theme at all, unlike the others.

FFTactics and VI remain the most consistently great OSTs in Final Fantasy. Add Wild ARMs, Xenogears, Suikoden 1 and 2 for JRPGs in general. I hope the next iteration of this poll re-adds the "best soundtrack", "best combat", "best story", etc. subcategories. I'd also include "best art direction" this time around too.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe every action RPG ever released was secretly not a real RPG from the start.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Essentials I would like to see over the course of the year:

Aug - Platformers
Sept - Action-adventures and open world games
Oct - Horror games (in time for Halloween please)
Nov - First-person shooters
Dec - Third-person shooters
Jan - Puzzle and rhythm games
Feb - Sports and racing games
Mar - Simulation games
Apr - Visual novels and walking simulators
May - Top 100 Retro Games (at least 25 years old)! (All pre-1993 games allowed, we add one year in all years going forward)
June - Top 100 Indies
July - ...time to do rpgs again!