Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Also this is kind of awkward... I see lots of people voting for Hollow Knight and it's one of my favorite games of all time, but personally I consider metroidvania a distinct genre from platformer so I am not going to vote for it. To me, a platformer means that the primary challenge of the game should be progressing through an obstacle course. Hollow Knight has one section of the game that is focused on platforming, but aside from that it's mostly about exploration and boss fighting.
I don't disagree with the "must be primarily a platformer" reasoning, but I disagree with the conclusion, I spent quite a fair bit of time and struggle with the platforming. And yeah White Palace was the worst of it (I actually didn't enjoy it, lol) but there's quite a fair bit more than that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with the "must be primarily a platformer" reasoning, but I disagree with the conclusion, I spent quite a fair bit of time and struggle with the platforming. And yeah White Palace was the worst of it (I actually didn't enjoy it, lol) but there's quite a fair bit more than that.
Oh yeah you're right, now that I think about it more there was more platforming. I think I didn't remember them well because White Palace just burned me so much and stuck out in my mind as feeling very different from the rest of the game. I didn't really enjoy White Palace either >: My favorite memories from Hollow Knight are just wandering, mostly.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Krejlooc hasn't been around but I think his Wonder Boy/Monster World series thread is required reading. I don't expect platform/adventures to get as many votes as regular platformers but it makes me sad when Hollow Knight gets way more attention than the entire WB legacy.
www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Is Tropical Freeze that much better than Returns? I absolutely loved Returns once I modded the waggle-to-roll controls the hell out of there.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tropical Freeze that much better than Returns? I absolutely loved Returns once I modded the waggle-to-roll controls the hell out of there.
It's prettier and more forgiving difficulty wise (mostly by taking away some of the cheaper things in Returns like one hit kill vehicles, and Dixie being a more useful partner than Diddy), but still has good challenge, especially in the bonus areas. I think the OST is quite a good bit better. But there are people who prefer Returns for various reasons, and feel the actual level layouts and mechanics are a bit tighter. They're both fantastic games to me.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019

I actually slightly preferred Returns. They're both amazing, and are my two favorite games of the decade, but I like the feeling of DKCR's connected world more than DKTF's six isolated islands. DKCR also has two more worlds than DKTF, which feels a little shorter because of that. But they're basically tied for me.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Never had a Wii U so I never got to Tropical Freeze, will check it out for sure now that I see it's on the Switch.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
1. Banjo-Kazooie
So damn fun. None of my words will do this game justice so just play it if you haven't. By the time you get to Treasure Trove Cove I think you'll understand.
2. Super Mario 64
The bible of 3D platformers. Mario still controls like a dream and the music/sound effects remain timeless. After the first couple missions you can tackle the game in almost any order you want, and it's all magical. Exploring Peach's castle, jumping into paintings, grabbing Bowser by the tail, long-jumping and side-flipping anywhere I damn well please...I love this game.
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
Controls so smooth I almost don't believe it's a NES game. This must have felt like a game from the future when it released.
4. Super Mario World

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

6. Super Mario Galaxy

7. Psychonauts
Genuinely hilarious dialogue thanks to brilliant writing and delivery. Raz, Cruller, and the concerned citizens of Lungfishopolis got the biggest laughs out of me, but every character has a memorable moment.
8. Cave Story

9. Super Mario Bros. 2 (a.k.a. Super Mario Advance)
If you give this game a try please play the All-Stars version!
10. Donkey Kong Country 2

Bonus Categories
🍄 Upgrades – Super Mario Bros. 3
🎭 Storytelling – Psychonauts
🎹 Soundtrack – Super Mario 64
⚙ Mechanics – Super Mario 64
🏗 Level Design – Banjo-Kazooie
🎨 Art Design – Banjo-Kazooie
☠ Boss Design – Super Mario Bros. 2

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario Galaxy - This is the best time I ever had playing a platformer. If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably say Galaxy 2 is a better game level by level, but honestly it just feels like "here are some more galaxy levels" compared to this masterpiece.

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - A nostalgia vote? Probably. But this was the peak of the Genesis Sonic games to me, and I loved the Genesis Sonic games.

3. Super Mario Bros. 3 - This is still the best 2D Mario game, which basically means it has to go this high.

4. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Basically this is the other way to do 3D platforming if you're not going the Mario/Mascot route. Fantastic series.

5. Mario 64 - Speaking of which, here's the standard bearer for all 3D platformers to come.

6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

7. Celeste

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2

9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

10. N

Metroidvanias ain't platformers, so that's why they aren't on the list

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
This is my favorite genre, and I play and love so many platformers it's absurd, so compiling this list was hella tough.

I spent the last two weeks playing and sometimes fully replaying some of my favorites to see where they land on my list. And in the middle of the mess, I decided that I'm gonna have some rules. I mean, I could just fill my top 10 with Marios and Sonics, but where's the fun in that? I like the idea of limiting myself to one per series, and to make things a bit more interesting, I'll also limit my main list to 3D titles, followed by 5 honorable mentions that are 2D.

gHopovy.png

1. Super Mario 64 - I mean, what's there to say about this one? No game will ever match that moment when I first moved Mario in front of that castle, and I still consider it the golden standard for 3D platformers.

TtIm8aP.png

2. Sonic Adventure - Blue skies and jolly vibes. Sonic's first true 3D platformer is still my favorite. Is it perfect? No, but it has so much charm in everything, from music to voice acting to the bright and wonderful environments.

LsNGQUD.png

3. Crash Bandicoot - While SM64 revolutionized 3D platformers with its open stages, Crash is what a 2D platformer in 3D should be; Strictly linear levels, full of challenge, and short. It's all about the platforming and nothing else.

oJysOSR.png

4. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - The second ND title here and it's basically a really good collectathon Crash. Shame about the sequels tho.

4fUWo7h.png

5. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - This game combines two of my favorite things, platforming and stealth, to create one of the most unique and fun 3D platformers and it does it with style. Seriously, the presentation and writing are on a different level compared to its contemporaries. But like with Jak, the sequels just add too much that detracts from platforming and end up being tedious.

zIknSHJ.png

6. Vexx - The most underrated 3D platformer of its gen. It controls better than most 3D platformers and it's basically an edgy Mario 64 with decent melee combat, incredible atmosphere, tough platforming sections, and an impossible final boss.

suVAVRh.png

7. Rayman 2: The Great Escape - This game to me is all about variety, you slide, fly, ride stuff, escape while things crumble around you, it's like you're Uncharted'ing in 1999.

bj8zvU0.png

8. Kao the Kangaroo: Round 2 - You play as an adorable kangaroo in a cute and straightforward Rayman 2 clone. It's simple, enjoyable and delightful.

mLawSL2.png

9. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - Just a fun collectathon with huge open levels with so much empty spaces and plenty of things to collect. Sequels took a dip thanks to a focus on vehicles (what's with all these sequels?!).

Hg9ITXV.png

10. Yooka-Laylee - Of all the indie 3D platformers I've played, this one looks and plays the best. So it deserves to be here even if it sometimes tries to bite off more than it can chew.

Honorable mentions:

11. Donkey Kong Country - This game packs so much variety and creativity it beats Mario at his own game. I love the OG because it's the one I've played most as a kid, and I just like playing as Donkey Kong more than the other characters. And of course that sublime soundtrack is just UGH!
12. Super Meat Boy - To me, SMB will forever be the definitive indie platformer. I still remember the first time I booted it up and the announcer shouted Superrrrr Meat Boy! I was so hyped and the game delivered and then some. Hell I think Meat Boy is the tightest, most satisfying character to control in 2D.
13. Castlevania: Bloodlines - As someone who loves classicvania, I was torn between this and IV, so much so that I replayed them back to back. I really enjoy the directional whipping in IV, but Bloodlines just plays better, it's snappier and the bosses are more creative and it's way less frustrating with better checkpoints, and it has some of the best set pieces in a 2D platformer.
14. Freedom Planet - If I can't have a 2D Sonic here, then this is the next best thing. It's a beautiful Sonic-like with melee combat and voice acting for a kinda serious story!
15. Celeste - Well, it's Celeste.

Badges:

Best Upgrades: Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Best Storytelling: Celeste
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country
Best Mechanics: Super Mario 64
Best Level Design: Super Meat Boy
Best Art Design: Sonic Adventure
Best Boss Design: Castlevania: Bloodlines

Last edited:
OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
mLawSL2.png

9. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - Just a fun collectathon with huge open levels with so much empty spaces and plenty of things to collect. Sequels took a dip thanks to a focus on vehicles (what's with all these sequels?!).

Glad to see this get a mention! After being a big fan as a kid of the GameCube version, I Kickstarted and 100%'d the recent Switch version.

While it didn't age as well as some other collectathons from the era, the Australian charm, Ty's fun boomerang play, and the large and pretty levels are all enjoyable.

I hope the port did well enough to encourage the devs to put effort into a sequel that expands on the "open" worlds and Ty's fun rangplay. With better designed enemies and puzzles to compliment Ty's moveset, it has the potential to really evolve into a great series.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Krejlooc hasn't been around but I think his Wonder Boy/Monster World series thread is required reading. I don't expect platform/adventures to get as many votes as regular platformers but it makes me sad when Hollow Knight gets way more attention than the entire WB legacy.
www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...

It was really hard for me to leave off Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It was in my top 10 pretty much until I realized Owlboy deserved some love.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
1 - Super Mario Odyssey
super_mario_odyssey.png

The long-awaited successor to Super Mario 64. I'm not gonna say sequel because that's what Sunshine is, and that game already gets enough vitriol. Mario is back to feeling like a joy to play and Cappy brings an interesting gimmick that justifies the vibrant worlds of the game (since you can literally become part of it). I also think the bosses are great, including the Broodals that everybody seems to hate. The game is more or less a big celebration of the franchise, with "Jump Up, Super Star" being legendary.

2 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
9d09fa3d_acdd_4b41_996d_14b1e7e998e0.jpeg

A.K.A Fucking Donkey Kong. This one deserved so much better treatment when it was first revealed. Excellent level design, soundtrack, bosses and animations, with Dixie and Cranky keeping the gameplay fresh with new movement options (Dixie in particular breaks the game). I'm glad that the Switch managed to gets its own Funky-tastic port, but that alone probably can't undo the damage associated with the Wii U entry.

3 - Super Mario 64
super_mario_64_pal_box_art.png

The one that revolutionized Platformers. Hasn't aged that well and I still criticize it every so often because of the repetitive nature of the courses, but I cannot deny how important this game was to the industry, and that alone probably warrants a high spot. Mario still feels really good to play despite the game being 23 years old and at the forefront of the 3D janky era.

4 - Mega Man X
megaman_x1_small.png

It's Mega Man! Except not. It's much better! I respect the OG Mega Man for everything it brought to the table, but I think MMX is what happens when you bring the MM formula to its full potential. In fact, the word "potential" is highly relevant to this game since it's the story of a robot in a somewhat dystopic future working his way from the bottom of the ladder in order to keep up with or even surpass the coolest guy he knows. The dynamic between X (whose name represents a variable) and Zero (whose name represents a fixed value) is excellent and adds to an already interesting setting where machines can go rogue at any minute.

5 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
yoshis_island_box.jpg

Yoshi was the best part of Super Mario World, so making him the star of the "sequel" was definitely a genius move as it was turning Mario into a baby so his origin story could be told. I'm incredibly glad that Miyamoto stuck to his guns and didn't succumb to the pressure of Donkey Kong Country, giving Yoshi's Island a handicrafted look that complemented the narrative of the Yoshis acting like caregivers themselves. In my opinion, Yoshi's Island's credits sequence is perhaps the most satisfying and tearjerking moment of any Mario game, or even Platform Game, that comes to mind.

6 - Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

More or less my gold standard for Ratchet & Clank games. The first game is pretty good by itself, but needed some extra polish that was thankfully done through this sequel. Weapons can now be upgraded, Clank automatically changes into the appropriate traversal tool and Ratchet feels more tolerable as protagonist (while not as boringly nice like he is currently). I also have my grievances with the third game that are similar to the ones presented by TheGamingBrit's video about it. I feel like having the R&C duo travel to a different galaxy while on a secret commando mission helped in making things just as fresh and isolated as the first game, since Up Your Arsenal revisits several locations from the original and focuses too much on Qwark's team of useless idiots (I was not keen on the war aspect of UYA since I prefer when R&C do things at their own pace without direct help). I also really miss the jabs at consumerism that were present in all PS2 games as the more recent entries have all but abandoned that angle in order to focus on more generic space adventures.

7 - Psychonauts
psychonauts_cover.png

I'm really, really, REALLY glad I got to play this game back when I had the chance. It has those 90's Adventure Game vibes all over it, but without the slow point-and-click gameplay that's not for everyone. You can have a lot of fun yourself by just learning to levitate and bouncing your way around. I also enjoy the little stories behind all the campers and how their dysfunctional home lives led them there. It's already pretty great when it's only you dealing with camp life and collecting all those buried arrowheads and psychic cards, but Psychonauts becomes a true masterpiece from the moment you face the lungfish and reach the mental asylum.

8 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash_Bandicoot_2_236.jpg

A complete improvement of the first Crash Bandicoot game. Crash actually feels great to move around and the levels now have actual variety instead of being stereotypical jungle adventure courses with a few industries later. They also made Gems less unbearable to collect and the "death paths" are a cool way to add challenge to the game. The third game is perhaps just as good in certain areas, but feels somewhat gimmicky due to all the vehicular stages. The second game has those as well, but they never overstay their welcome, especially because they are mostly additions to levels instead of being the whole level itself.

9 - Kirby Super Star (Ultra)
Kirby_Super_Star_boxart_4435.jpg

Still the king of Kirby games. I particularly love how it consists of a compilation of mostly standalone stories where Kirby has to deal with increasingly dangerous threats ranging from the local glutton despot to an universal wish-granting satellite clock of the apocalypse, with each story having their own unique little gameplay quirk like the collectibles from Great Cave Offensive and the instant transformations from Milky Way Wishes. The combat is definitely the aspect that was most improved from "Kirby's Adventure" and the biggest reason why it felt so great to play as every transformation now had their own varied moveset of acrobatics, grapples, charged attacks and so on. The Ultra remake is even better with the new modes it adds, but I don't really like to count it as a separate thing.

10 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kirby64_box1_8261.jpg

This is one I have plenty of nostalgia for. It gets some mudslinging on for not being "Kirby Super Star"-like, but it has its own interesting mechanics that help it stand out among the countless Kirby games out there, like the fun ability combinations and friends that helped you out with puzzles or obstacle courses. It also did some cool tricks with 3D perspective that current 2.5D Kirby games rarely attempt, making this game feel a lot livelier than later entries. The secret final boss is also highly memorable, even if it's quite easy.

Upgrades: Mega Man X. This game is X-tremely good (I do not regret the pun) at portraying X's growth, no thanks to the presence of powerhouses like Vile and Zero making you feel like a weakling at the start. From then on, you learn how to dash, break walls and charging weapons by finding Dr. Light's ghost/hologram capsules. All of the Maverick bosses' weapons also feel useful in a broad way instead of something that's only necessary for specific situations. Also, the Hadoken easter egg has to be one of the most insane secrets to a game I've ever seen, like the sort of ridiculous videogame urban legend you used to read in old magazines, except it's real in this case.
Story: Celeste. It's not in the list since I don't value story in games that much, but I would be lying if I said the game's themes didn't resonate with me. "Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy" is a universal message that will never get old.
Soundtrack: Tropical Freeze. David Wise really propped this game up with his talent. The variety is superb. There's calypso, polka, indigenous, heavy metal, etc. and it all sounds good.
Mechanics: Super Mario Odyssey. No thanks to how good Mario feels to play. They took the moveset from Super Mario 64 and expanded it to a significant degree. Cappy was also a welcome addition, with the possessing adding some great variety for traversal and puzzle-solving.
Level Design: Tropical Freeze. Game Maker's Toolkits did a great job exposing this one to the world. Retro essentially took the Mario formula and added their own ambitious twist to it.
Art: Psychonauts. This is "Modern Art: The Game". Gotta love the twisting neighborhood of "Milkman Conspiracy" and the dark neon brightness of "Black Velvetopia". Then you have Sasha's minimalist cube mind, Milla's trippy disco party and the level that's a literal theater play in the mind of a bipolar person. It's really amazing.
Boss: Banjo-Tooie. Not on the list either, but the bosses were one of the best parts of that admittedly bloated game. Mr. Patch and Mingy Jongo were a riot, while Weldar still terrifies my dreams.

Last edited:

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
01 // Celeste
After the 2D platforming heyday of the late 80's and 90's, I never would've thought we'd be getting a brand new IP joining the ranks of those legendary all-time greats. Celeste is exactly that. Nevermind the amazing soundtrack, charming visuals, and touching story, Celeste at its core is a promise of platforming nirvana. Every screen of every level is pure perfection, never once shoeing in a generic segment simply to pad things out. The creativity in its level design is unprecedented...it's not just an iteration of other platforming concepts I've seen time and time again, but genuinely infuses fresh ideas and joy into a genre that I thought had been long tapped out at this point.

02 // Sonic 3 & Knuckles
I was a fortunate enough kid to have had both Nintendo and Sega consoles growing up. Mario and Sonic defined my childhood gaming memories, and S3&K was the pinnacle of it. Sonic as a franchise to this point oozed style especially when juxtaposed against its rival's more traditional presentation. In Sonic 3, they pulled out the stops with some of the craziest levels experienced, all further buoyed by ridiculously cool Michael Jackson beats. And when they unveiled the "lock on technology"? My kid brain practically exploded.

03 // Mega Man 9
The classic 8-bit Mega Man might very well be my favorite series of all-time. MM2 is often cited as the greatest among them, but 1-6 in general were all top tier quality platforming. When MM9 came out in 2008, well over a decade since the last entry, I was skeptical they could really match the magic of its predecessors. Turns out it didn't just get close, but catapulted up to the very top of the rankings for me. This wasn't just a hasty nostalgia cash-grab...it was clearly a labor of love with careful thought to Mega Man games of old, everything about it just felt right. It was like the best of what the franchise had to offer distilled down into this one perfect package. Mega Man 10 came out not too long after, which was also pretty damn good. Really glad this series was revived with such love and care.

04 // Mega Man X
I never was a big fan of the X series overall, but the very first one blew my mind. It was my favorite SNES game back then, which is saying a lot with peers like Super Mario World and Super Metroid. While I always prefer the simplistic and pure focus of the classic 8-bit games, I still can't help but get excited with all the features turned up to 11 in this game, from the more mature sci-fi story to the over-the-top robot masters and rocking soundtrack.

05 // Hollow Knight
I tried keeping Metroidvanias off my list, but I'd make the exception for Hollow Knight just for White Palace alone, lol. Really though, there's so many segments where level design is so perfectly tuned for platforming challenges, moments that even surpass anything I've seen in pure platformers like Mario and Sonic. I feel like most Metroidvanias are 90% generic in their platforming, but Hollow Knight seemed to really put a lot of emphasis on it. Jumping and traversing often require much more skill and wrought with a certain feeling of peril not typically common among its peers.

06 // Sonic the Hedgehog
I also tried not including multiple entries from the same franchise, but again I'll make the exception here given that the original had a very much different tone and feel to its successors. Where Sonic 3 & Knuckles perfected its evolution into frenetic fast-paced energy, Sonic 1 played a more methodical approach and balanced fast and slow segments to give a different sense of pacing. Some sections felt almost more puzzle-ish in nature than designed to have you blast through it. This was also like the first game I've had an unhealthy obsession over as a kid, so there's that, haha.

07 // Super Mario Bros 3
Almost didn't want to add this one since I'm sure it's already on everyone else's list, lol. Can't help it though, it's the quintessential platformer even if I personally prefer the Sonic and Mega Man games. I stayed up many a night to this game.

08 // Crash Bandicoot 2
I just realized I didn't have any 3D platformers on the list, so it's time to get some in now :P. Loved the Crash games, but the second entry especially stood out to me. The polar bear chase scenes in particular really made me sweat it out as a kid.

09 // Super Mario 3D World
Had to include a 3D Mario game, but it's pretty damn difficult deciding which to pick. Figure I'll give this underrated gem some attention since I'm sure 64, Galaxy, and Odyssey are probably already overwhelmingly represented here. Wii U was such a disappointment, but this was one of the lone shining points during what ended up being a fairly dour period.

10 // Super Meat Boy
I'll credit Super Meat Boy with the modern 2D platformer renaissance we've been enjoying lately. It kickstarted a wave of masocore run and jumpers, focusing on meticulous precision, tight controls, and expertly designed levels. In a way, this paved the road for my #1 game on the list, Celeste, to reach that pinnacle. While I admit this list contains entries that may not necessarily be essential per se, some that were more just personal faves I wanted to give some attention, but Super Meat Boy is about essential as it gets for the genre, both for its top tier gameplay and what it meant for pushing the landscape of 2D platformers forward.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like the participation is absurdly low here. Maybe we should extend the deadline? :(

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Also this is kind of awkward... I see lots of people voting for Hollow Knight and it's one of my favorite games of all time, but personally I consider metroidvania a distinct genre from platformer so I am not going to vote for it. To me, a platformer means that the primary challenge of the game should be progressing through an obstacle course. Hollow Knight has one section of the game that is focused on platforming, but aside from that it's mostly about exploration and boss fighting.

My main question is, how do you explore in these games? To explore you have to use the same mechanics you use in any platformer. There is nothing different in terms of basic mechanics in Hollow Knight than there is in Super Mario Bros (Which is the baseline for any platformer). The only difference is instead of only being able to exit the screen on the right, you can exit the screen Top/Left/Right/Down and the boss fights are much better. If the player cannot, run, jump and hit a variety of different platform sizes there is no way they can progress or beat Hollow Knight (Or any MetroidVania style game, just using that game as an example).

Jeremy Parish didn't create the term Metroidvania, but he gets credited with it a lot, from an article he wrote here summerizes my feelings well:

"The metroidvania genre has been having quite a moment of late. "Metroidvania" may be an irritating word that sends many people into paroxysms of rage, but that doesn't make it any less useful a word. When someone says "metroidvania," you know exactly what they mean: A 2D platformer based around exploration and character progression, built in the style of Metroid and the latter-day Castlevania games. "

Ninja Edit: Glad you love HK as well though :)

OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I feel like the participation is absurdly low here. Maybe we should extend the deadline? :(

While the more voters the better, I'm personally not too disappointed at this point. We have already well surpassed the participation in the horror thread. The point spread also means ties aren't seeming like they will be a problem, and we already have well over 101 games with multiple voters.

That said, the more the merrier! I hope to see a surge of voting over these final days (this happened in the RPG thread). Also, voting will be open all day on Monday, June 22nd and will not close before midnight CST in the U.S. on that day. While I do not want this to become a zero-explanation list thread towards the end as the pressure is on to submit your ballot, I'm also not going to be extremely strict with people who posted earlier on and didn't go back in and edit write-ups.

i've been seriously mulling mine over lol

but seeing most of the posts dominated with the usual suspects or over abundance of 3D collectathans IS sort of discouraging lol

Without giving any hints as to where things stand now, the usual suspects definitely are going to dominate many of the highest ranks - but they are performing extremely competitively among each other. And there are definitely some games I consider surprises that are looking likely to make the top 40 or higher. The top 3-4 games aren't even set in stone with a clear order right now. and I expect the bottom 2/3rds of the 101 to be extremely diverse and anybody's guess after a dozen or so new ballots.

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number of ballots cast so far isn't bad at all. For comparison, though the RPG thread ended up ballooning to 154 pages, only the first 15 pages had ballots. The remaining 90% of the thread was results discussion and other miscellaneous RPG-related topics.

We are on page 9 here with 4 days to go, and if this thread goes similarly to the RPG thread then we will pick up a couple pages within the last 24 hours alone from people voting at the last minute. There will be enough points/data for our purposes.

That being said it's always great to have more points, so you all reach out to anyone on Era who might be interested in submitting a ballot while they can.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied about how this has gone at all, myself. This seems pretty decent as far as these things go.

If I have any "complaints" it's more just the usual stuff in voting threads in general that very particular titles aren't getting anywhere near as much love as I would have hoped. Like, that I'm the only one who voted for Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers at all, for instance.

Then again, I both
a.) completely expected that (as like I said, in my case, I myself almost forgot about/didn't put games like that on my own list at all)
b.) that indeed, that there are already over 100 games with multiple votes each just shows how varied and how many incredible games there are in the genre and how hard it is to make these lists in the first place.

Still, it's a bit of a weird feeling to actually be the only person to vote for a particular game, even when you completely understand that and know exactly why. Because like, on the one hand, that means that hopefully people like me that voted such games in their ballots may have introduced others to such games they completely passed over, but there's still like a weird lonely feeling to it, especially when, because you're the only one voting for it, it'll miss the actual list itself and people have to actually read your particular post to notice it at all.

But in any case yeah, just in terms of how many people have voted, definitely not displeased at all myself, though more is always better of course.

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied about how this has gone at all, myself. This seems pretty decent as far as these things go.

If I have any "complaints" it's more just the usual stuff in voting threads in general that very particular titles aren't getting anywhere near as much love as I would have hoped. Like, that I'm the only one who voted for Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers at all, for instance.

Then again, I both
a.) completely expected that (as like I said, in my case, I myself almost forgot about/didn't put games like that on my own list at all)
b.) that indeed, that there are already over 100 games with multiple votes each just shows how varied and how many incredible games there are in the genre and how hard it is to make these lists in the first place.

Still, it's a bit of a weird feeling to actually be the only person to vote for a particular game, even when you completely understand that and know exactly why. Because like, on the one hand, that means that hopefully people like me that voted such games in their ballots may have introduced others to such games they completely passed over, but there's still like a weird lonely feeling to it, especially when, because you're the only one voting for it, it'll miss the actual list itself and people have to actually read your particular post to notice it at all.

But in any case yeah, just in terms of how many people have voted, definitely not displeased at all myself, though more is always better of course.
Yea I had that same feeling in the RPG thread when one of my higher-priority votes was Ultima IV. At the end of the day, at least there is a silver lining in knowing that people really DO read through the ballots in these threads for additional recommendations after they've looked over the main list. I know a few RPG fans who do that for the RPG thread and don't even have Era accounts.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire Ultima franchise among others getting snubbed in the RPG thread was disappointing.

I have been closely following this one. I think I have played every game voted for so far. I bought Snake Pass because of this thread (I don't really like how it plays but it was worth trying for a low price).

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA

This is pretty much how I always feel about ranked lists too, as well as the appreciation for most forms of media that I love (music, movies, TV). I fully acknowledge that I'm a weirdo, and I'm proud of it. I didn't expect my #1, Snake Pass, to appear atop anyone else's list, but I thought it might accumulate a few more points. I take comfort in knowing it got a few honorable mentions, and at least my other darling, Puppeteer, got a few votes.

If it's any consolation, I enjoyed Tiny & Big. I think Kirby's Epic Yarn deserves more credit too. The more casual gameplay probably makes people dismiss it, but it basically ushered in an new Nintendo art style.

I have been closely following this one. I think I have played every game voted for so far. I bought Snake Pass because of this thread (I don't really like how it plays but it was worth trying for a low price).
Snake Pass does take some time to wrap your head around - no pun intended. It is a bit divisive, but once it clicks there's a level of mastery that's beautifully similar to speedrunning Super Mario 64. Every single movement become satisfying.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh speaking of more under-the-radar picks, nbnt nice shoutout to Vexx, that was much better than I expected it'd be based on the cover art and general vibe.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Yea I had that same feeling in the RPG thread when one of my higher-priority votes was Ultima IV. At the end of the day, at least there is a silver lining in knowing that people really DO read through the ballots in these threads for additional recommendations after they've looked over the main list. I know a few RPG fans who do that for the RPG thread and don't even have Era accounts.

Definitely! That is the best part of these list is not what's #1..etc but the entire list as a whole. I have an excel sheet tracking games I play and have a tab dedicated to the games voted on both the RPG & Horror thread with a simple "Y,O,W" next to every game to indicate if I beat it, own it but need to play it , or want to play it in future . I went through every game and if I didn't know about it would check it out. Even if the game is lower end of the list, it's gets exposure

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I voted for some stuff that barely appeared elsewhere, some of those which I thought it would fare a little bit better. But anyway, that's why I'm reading the ballots to find recommendations, and with 101 games, the full list will have a lot of interesting stuff beyond the obvious anyway.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to remind everyone voting ends a week from tomorrow, on June 22nd!

We're really pleased with the participation so far, but if you want your opinion to contribute don't forget to vote. The final lineup and their positions on the list are far from set in stone.

And another reminder that we've been counting ballots about 24 hours after they've been posted to ensure we can start posting results within a day (ish) after voting ends. So if you need to make any changes or edits to old posts in this thread, please bring them to our attention, or else your changes will not be reflected in the final results.
I reordered my list...again. Sorry 😬

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - Sonic 3 & Knuckles is potentially the best platformer of all time for me, its a king of platforming delight - the mixture of both Sonic 3 and Knuckles finally becoming a full game really sets it apart from the other Sonic games on it's pure length alone, it's enjoyable and introduced Knuckles as a great playable character to the cast. The soundtrack is also amazing, blast Ice Cap Zone all day every day.

2. Ape Escape - Ape Escape took the platforming genre and threw it on its head. It's completely unique and I can't compare any other series to it - the act of capturing cheeky monkeys itself is a serotonin boost. Ape Escape is so joyful and I adore the whole series, but the first game is the one that kicked it all off and had such a big impact on my life when I was a kid.

3. Banjo Kazooie - The latest game that I've played on this list, surprisingly only playing it for the first time in 2018-2019, the first Banjo Kazooie game just gets everything right for me - from character design, to level design, to music, to the silly voices the characters have when talking; I also played Super Mario 64 rather late in my life (when the DS port came out), but for me, Banjo is the best platformer on N64.

4. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - I have SO many fond memories of Crash 2, but I think Crash 3 despite being tonnes easier than its predecessors came out the most fun; introducing Time Trial Relics really increased the replayability of the Crash games.

5. Portal 2 - Portal 2 is iconic for many reasons, I never could've imagined that Valve would outdo Portal 1 in terms of story and pure portal platforming madness, some of the later puzzles are amazing, and the journey as a whole is so charming.

6. Super Mario 3D World - Super Mario 3D World is so incredibly well designed, it's a 4 Player adventure I just cannot put down when I play with friends. It's a Wii U gem in the rough, honestly one of my favourite games on the system.

7. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - Stealth Platforming. The original Sly Cooper takes stealth mechanics and perfectly implements them well designed platforming level design. It's so charming, and the best offering of the Sony PS2 trio.

8. Sonic Mania - Sonic Mania elevated the series for me in a dark time and why I place it so highly, it married everything I loved about the series with a dash of nostalgic zones featuring some lovely new zones too (Studiopolis <3). I also really loved seeing Ray back!

9. Hollow Knight - Hollow Knight whilst being a Metroidvania, is my favourite Metroidvania. I adore everything about this game, but I put it quite low on the list due to the nature of pure platforming being better in other games listed above.

10. Rayman 2: The Great Escape - Rayman 2 was an incredibly fun game, hard to judge as a whole as all versions tried something different, but the Dreamcast version is just wonderful.

Honourable Mentions:
VVVVVV
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Sonic Generations

I honestly tried so hard not to fill my list with Sonic games.

Last edited:

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
Out of curiosity what would your list of "other" games be if you broadened your definition of a platformer?
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier! The games would be: Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Ori and the Blind Forest, & Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Oh speaking of more under-the-radar picks, nbnt nice shoutout to Vexx, that was much better than I expected it'd be based on the cover art and general vibe.
<3

Wish more people gave this game a chance. I played it late and was mind blown by how great it controlled, and the lack of double jumping was especially surprising (double jumping always make things easier, and it plagued almost every PS2 era 3D platformer).

It's unlikely, but I hope we get a Steam release someday. I mean, Kao and Ty did it, why can't Vexx?

Last edited:

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I'll be posting this from my phone because for some reason this thread doesn't appear in my web Browser, that means i won't be able to write long paragraphs to justify The reasoning behind each game, i also have to clarify that i won't include Metroidvanias as i consider that a different genre altogether, so here's my list:

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 64

I'm going to include all Three of these games as a unit because i consider them equally as good, althought not in The same areas: Odyssey has mastered Mario's movement and feel and is easily The most polished and tight Game i've ver played; Galaxy has top notch visual and sound presentation and is accompanied by unrivaled level design that truly feels out of this world. 64 Will Always have a place in my Heart as The Game that introduced me to Videogames at a very Young Age and it's also here for it's Legacy to The history of 3D platformers and gaming as a whole, I only put Odyssey at 1 because I feel it's underappreciated in general by people in this forum.

4. Super Monkey Ball 2.

A Lightning in a bottle kind of Game that improved a lot over it's prequel by adding quite a bit of flexibility to The way You approach it's challenging and well-designed levels, I honestly don't know what about The original 2 Monkey Ball games made them so addictive to me, but it's a Magic that kind of dissapeared With The dissapointing sequels The series has had ever since, RIP AV.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I'll have to agree with The general sentiment here, this Game is easily The best of Retro's platformers as well as The entirety of The DKC series and is also heavily pushing for the best Soundtrack in a videogame ever.

6. Sonic Heroes

A controversial pick i'm sure, but childhood nostalgia aside, i played this Game recently and it's still as fun as i remember It, once You get used to The admitedly cumbersome partner wheel system, The Game is a blast to play from beginning yo End with memorable tunes and good stage variety.

7. New Super Mario Bros. U
8. Super Mario World

I'm usually bigger on 3D Mario than 2D, but i have to aknowledge the pulsar-tight gameplay and incredible level design that allows stages from this 2 games to be played however You want them and feel different as a result, from casual runs to speedruns and even as a multiplayer game With your SO (Referring mainly to U here), plus, in The case of SMW, there's something about this Game that makes It feel special and nostalgic even if You didn't grow Up With It, sound and visual design are fantastic as well, i give NSMBU The Edge because i feel people are very superficial when It comes yo The NSMB series for it's bland artstyle and judge It unfairly, It honestly has better level design than World IMO.

9. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

Played n-sane Trilogy recently and upon replaying 3 i remembered instantly why i'm fond of The Crash Bandicoot series, The carefully Crafted levels, as well as The bigger freedom in mobility compared to 2 and specially 1 makes Warped Edge out as the best in The series IMO.

10. Donkey Kong 64

Another controversial pick i'm sure, but just as how Many people here praise Banjo-Kazooie to The high heavens, i found DK64's laser-focus on The collectathon aspect to be a huge plus that gave me hundreds of hours of exploration and excitement and, as a result, cemented this game as a big part of my childhood, i still replay It from time and time again and find It very enjoyable each time, so it's not just nostalgia googles for me.

Honorable mentions go to:

Mega Man 9
Rayman Legends
Cuphead
Pac-Man World
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Ducktales
Yoshi's Woolly World
The Spyro Trilogy
Bomberman 64
Eversion

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
4. Super Monkey Ball 2.

A Lightning in a bottle kind of Game that improved a lot over it's prequel by adding quite a bit of flexibility to The way You approach it's challenging and well-designed levels, I honestly don't know what about The original 2 Monkey Ball games made them so addictive to me, but it's a Magic that kind of dissapeared With The dissapointing sequels The series has had ever since, RIP AV.

fuck how could I forget monkey ball 2

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
1. Celeste: Platforming is one of gaming oldest genres, so to give the number 1 spot to a game that is "simply" a 2d platformer in which you jump around from point A to point B is saying something about its quality. The way Celeste nails this gameplay loop is nothing short of extraordinary. The precision of its controls, the amazing creativity of its level design, how it builds upon what at first might have felt like standard gameplay mechanics to extreme levels of complexity... every single aspect of this game comes together flawlessly. Jumping around has never been this fun. Yet Celeste is not only that, there is something more to it. This is a game that wants to tell a story, that wants to say something. And it does that in very charming way. A lot of hard platformers infuse me with a drive to beat them, to win. But Celeste did something more, I found myself not really wanting to win, but just to be in the game, to struggle within it. This game uses climbing a moutain as a sort of analogy to its gameplay. It did something beyond making me simply wanting to reach its peak, it made me appreciate the climb.

2. Tomb Raider: Anniversary: The first Tomb Raider game was at the vanguard in moving games from 2d to 3d. So it's poetic (not really, but it's a fancy way to put it) that the remake of the 1996 game is my favorite 3d platformer. This game finds an excellent middleground between precision and accessibility, which is something key in a 3d game. It effortless mix platforming with puzzles and gives Lara Croft many ways to move around the level . Add to the mix a nice and pleasant combat and you have a game that is pure joy.

3. Super Meat Boy: Fast, precise, challenging and bloody (fun). That's Super Meat Boy for you. Like many platformers, this game is all about getting to the end of the level while jumping around and not dying, SMB stands out because how well it execute this. It offers a multitude of different obstacles and sometimes you might just stand back and wonder how the hell does the creators of this game expect me to beat this level? But you can always do it. A must play platformer without any doubt.

4. Claw: Claw is one of the first platformers I ever cared about, I first played the demo and then the full game. It's one of those games I always go back to to see if they are as good as I remember them, and the answer is always yes. Besides a solid gameplay and fun combat, there are two things that make this game stand out to me: first how the levels are structured. Besides the obligatory path you need to go through, the game offers a lot of treasure that can be collected, and to collect it all you will need extreme precision and good timing, not to mention explore the levels thoroughly. It makes it feel like the game has always something more to offer you if you try hard enough. Second, there is something "off" about Claw platforming elements, it's like it is in a slight different frequency than all other games and so it always keeps you on your toes and demands you to be extra careful about timing your jumps.

5. Hollow Knight: Hollow Knight is not a full time platformer. As most other 2d metroidvania, platforming will be just a way to move around the map. Yet many episodes of HK are focused on platforming, and those shine brightly. The game manages to fully translate its focus on fighting and avoiding damage to a platforming framework: you will see a lot of spikes, dodge a lot of projectiles and try to move as fast and as precise as you can, and it works. And it's not only in dedicated platforming segments that this appears, often they are mixed together within a more traditional level, making jumping in HK much more than a way to move around the map.

6. Prince of Persia (1989): Prince of Persia was one of the first games I've ever played, possibly the very first one. I've come back to it quite a few times and am always surprised how well it holds up. I'm not sure if it was the first, or even if its among the first, to do this, but PoP has a very grounded approach to platforming. You will jump in a way that a normal person would (give or take a few meters) and even if that limits the possibilities in level design, it also gives the game a particular identity. The game is about timing and planning (and dying and realoding). A hallmark in the genre for sure.

7. Rise of the Tomb Raider: With the 2013 Reboot, Tomb Raider veered away from strong platforming elments. Rise made a move back in that direction. Platforming isn't the game strongest element, but it's very well diluted in the entire game. You often find yourself jumping, climbing, exploring and solving small puzzles. It's a way in which platforming can contribute to a greater whole, and Rise does that superbly.

8. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones: A fantastic 3d platformer that knows how to mix combat with exploration superbly well. Knowing how to move around is a key elements in winning battles, and the game pushes how many tools you have to move around the map extremely far. The end of the PoP trilogy is also its strongest game.

9. Ori and the Blind Forest: Although it has metroidvania elements, Ori and the Blind Forest is at its natural habit when its a dedicated platformer. It features very creative ways to move around the map and often push you to your limits in fantastic set pieces. Add to that a fantastic artstyle and a very moving story and you get a big win.

10. Gex: I'm not sure why I first played Gex. I bought it for some reason (or maybe someone gifted it to me?). Regardless, I have strong memories about the game and how much fun I had with it. I'm not sure I ever understood all its mechanics and what I was supposed to do, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game. There were some levels (and a boss) that took me ages to figure it out (in an age before the internet) but eventually I did it. It's a classic to me.

Badges:

Best Upgrades: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.
Best Storytelling: Celeste.
Best Soundtrack: Celeste.
Best Mechanics: Celeste.
Best Level Design: Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Best Art Design: Hollow Knight.
Best Boss Design: Hollow Knight.

Edit: Did some editing for additional clarity and fixing some typos.

Last edited:

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
1. Super Mario World - The game responsible for turning me into gaming.
2. Super Mario 64 - First time seeing Mario in 3D. One of the most influential games of all time.
3. Super Mario 3D World - The true successor to Super Mario World.
4. Donkey Kong Country - Iknow people prefer DKC2 but the first one is my favorite.
5. Rayman Origins - Best modern side-scrolling platformer.
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Super Mario Odyssey
8. Puppeteer
8. Super Metroid - I would rank this game much higher since it's one of my favorite games of all time but it just felt wrong to have this beat some of the pure platformers in my list.
10. Ori and the Blind Forest

BONUS BADGES
Best Upgrades - Ratchet and Clank 2016
Best Storytelling - Ori and the Blind Forest
Best Soundtrack - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Best Mechanics - Portal
Best Level Design - Super Mario 3D World
Best Art Design - Yoshi's Woolly World
Best Boss Design - Conker's Bad Fur Day

Skikkiks

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing old generation of Naughty Dog two dimension inspired three dimensional platforming madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  2. Guacamelee! - Guacamelee! is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Drinkbox Studios metroidvania beat-em-up madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  3. Rayman Origins - Rayman Origins is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of two dimensional Rayman madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  4. Cuphead - Cuphead is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Studio MDHR's 30's animation run and gun madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Donkey Kong Country madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  6. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Ori and the Will of the Wisps is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Moon Studios' Ori madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  7. Touhou: Luna Nights - Touhou: Luna Nights is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Touhou metroidvania madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  8. Super Mario Odyssey - Super Mario Odyssey is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of three dimensional Mario madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  9. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Shovel Knight: King of Cards is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of no shovel Shovel Knight madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.
  10. Clustertruck - Clustertruck is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of first person truck jumping madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but it's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.

Best Upgrades - Guacamelee! 2
    Best Storytelling - Ori and the Blind Forest
    Best Soundtrack - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
    Best Mechanics - Super Mario Odyssey
    Best Level Design - Rayman Origins
    Best Art Design - Cuphead
    Best Boss Design - Touhou: Luna Nights

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Dang. Had a comprehensive draft saved up, but now it's gone. ☹

Due to time constraints, I'll now only post write-ups for my top 3.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is challenging without feeling frustrating, which is just one aspect of its great level design. And in addition to having one of the best video game soundtracks, it has a lot of creative level environments (such as a mountainous setting themed around windmills). Also, its main collectibles are a nice change of pace in that they're obtained through platforming skill.

2. Super Mario Odyssey

With its plentiful collectibles, Super Mario Odyssey consistently rewards curiosity and exploration, making it a joy to play. It also keeps players engaged in the collecting with the variety in its gameplay and locations. Combining all of that with its general silliness, it's a "feel-good" game for sure.

3. Rayman Legends

Rayman Legends' levels are not only high in quantity but also high in creativity, often surprising players with what's next when it comes to the gameplay and environments. Plus, it has smooth controls that keep the focus on the flow of the game. And even though it has a ton of collectibles, it keeps them fun to find. The unlockable costumes/characters are also appreciated.

4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario 3D World
6. Super Mario World
7. Yoshi's Crafted World
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. Wario Land 4
10. Super Monkey Ball 2

OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Counting the rest of today, there's a measly three days left to get your votes in!

Things remain extremely competitive. Behind the scenes, we can't even say for sure what the #1 game will be yet, let alone the 101st! Every vote counts.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I need to accept I'm not going to like my list so here it goes.

1 Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
ea448c92993b16695d85048b1b6d38f5.jpg

This is the best version of the game that transformed the genre. And the fact that it hasn't aged a day (either SMB or Deluxe, it doesn't matter which version) means this is where it goes - my number one choice.

2 Prince of Persia
prince-of-persia.png

A game that aimed to take away all the freedom you get in games like Mario, and created a new sub-genre in the process. Fun, challenging, satisfying platforming that feels nothing like a traditional platformer.

3 Tomb Raider
MV5BNDcyNzUxNTQtMWM2OC00ZWVjLTgzMTUtNmU1ZDk0NDg2NmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ4ODA2NzQ@._V1_.jpg

I recently replayed the very first TR game and it's crazy how well it's aged, tank controls and all. The level design is just superb, it's crazy how Mario and TR nailed 3D on their very first try.

4 Mega Man V
megaman5.png

5 VVVVVV
fcokHtHZGiJaGpFzZmQM2c-1200-80.jpg

6 Super Mario 64
2-8.jpg

7 FEZ
94319a179e1903d83902f6855a711120-1200-80.jpg

8 Kero Blaster
kero-blaster-switch-screenshot03.jpg

9 Shinobi (3DS)
51-HEovmpzL.jpg

10 Super Mario Advance
gvGUiDE3MMjlvUENYgxpJgx_lM4Axn0r1u4QbWS50l8aQ4_8-52MZZlGRqjgdyLq0pCvy1PgjVuYUQCDObOwOQRXapjbrie4cOf9E_sjbUTvAW-Uh9zZ8BbnSXEHSo7sWIFn90ft

I have to say SMB2 is maybe my most played game ever. I first played in All-Stars and I absolutely loved how you could freely choose between different characters.

Last edited:

Endimion

Aug 9, 2019
I have crafted a strictly platformers list.

No metroidvanias, no action sidescrollers, no puzzle-based or run 'n guns games. Platformers only where the main objective or challenge is established in the overcoming of levels and they are not complementary to other playable mechanics.

On the other hand, I have tried to put only one representative per saga, with the only exception of Mario, where I have the 2D side and the 3D side in their two branches. I know, the rules are for breaking them.

1. Kirby: Canvas Curse (known as Kirby: Power Paintbrush in EU)
Only a handful of titles manage to redefine a genre in ways never explored before, and hardly any of them succeed in a resounding way. This game is the exception. Widely underrated, even by series fans, it shows the grandeur of its mechanics and sturdy design in the optional challenges.

2. Super Mario Galaxy
Although I prefer the sequel, I recognize that it does not have the same freshness and magic presentation as this quintessential title, the first true pure 3D platformer that defied the convention that any tridimensional approach should be made from the adventure or the collectathon focus.

3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
I would describe it as the culmination of 30 years of work on the genre (by Nintendo). It exceeds previous Rare titles in gameplay, mechanics, level design, replayability and pacing while maintaining progression, consistency and millimeter obsession superior to Tropical Freeze (which is openly preferred for not having motion controls and, of course, because of the OST).

4. Super Mario Odyssey
A postmodernist exercise that summarizes the character's trajectory from the times when he was called 'Jump Man' until today. A heartfelt tribute to Mario, to a design philosophy and to all who have grown up with him. Thank you.

5. Wario Land: Shake It! (known as Wario Land: The Shake Dimension in EU)

It's hard to grow up after Mario's omnipresence and perpetual state of grace (Sunshine aside) and earn the respect of being more than just an alter ego or a recurring villain. Despite this, his strong personality serves as an engine for an irruption in the domestic market that is settled as one of the best (and unknown) platformers that shows its intelligent level design and obscene care in challenges and time trials.

6. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
The first non-Nintendo title on my list is to recognize a forgotten game that knew how to evolve over its first installment with much more careful in all sections, more challenging, better controls, more varied, deeper exploration and smarter puzzles and secrets.

7. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2

Hated by many at the time for his incredible artistic foundation and his risky bid to turn the hero into an un-moustached helpless baby. Nintendo managed to demonstrate that they could overcome the stagnation of the previous installment providing original mechanics and away from the cool trends of the moment. And of course, with an undeniable level design.

8. Super Mario Bros.
It is still a fully valid game, fun, incredibly focused and capable of teaching how to design a video game today in 2020. The latest installments (NSMB.U Deluxe) can boast of greater possibilities and designs but the foundational title makes video games today as we know them. The princess is in this castle.

9. LocoRoco
It may not be as surprising today as it was in the past but, despite its moderate success, it has become a widely influential title among indie developers. I would like to highlight its overwhelming audiovisual personality, its original controls and to be a pioneer in the design of organic levels within and outside the genre.

10. Mirror's Edge
It is the perfect example that you can do unthinkable things like a fast and unbridled first-person platformer with a personal tone and characters far from the mascot concept and emerge victorious.

BONUS BADGES
Best Upgrades -> Kirby's Adventure
Best Story Telling -> Super Mario Odyssey
Best Soundtrack -> Kirby Mass Attack
Best Mechanics -> Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best Level Design -> Donkey Kong Country Returns
Best Art Design -> Yoshi's Wooly World
Best Boss Design -> Kirby Super Star/Ultra

HONORABLE MENTION

Hollow Knight: It would be in the first place of practically any list that I made, including this one, if I was not so strict of what a platformer is or is not.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Super Mario World
8. Mega Man 2
9. Shovel Knight
10. Sonic Mania

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Rayman Origins - Is it the best game of all time? No. Is it my favourite game of all time? No but I think it may well have the best claim as the most perfect game of all time. A memorable aesthetic, the right level of challenge, the perfect amount of content, perfect responsive controls it's perhaps the best 2D platformer in existence.
  2. Super Mario 64 - Historically key to 3D gaming in general it remains one of the best 3D platformers still, remaining vibrant and devoid of gimmickry.
  3. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - The best showcase for 3D platformers from its generation. The consistent world, while remaining true to the collectathon of the previous generation, is the way platformers should of gone going forward.
  4. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - The best showcase of what a platformer could be moving into VR.
  5. Ape Escape - A unique control scheme and banging soundtrack keeps this as prime example of late 90s gaming.
  6. Tearaway
  7. Shovel Knight
  8. Mirrors Edge
  9. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  10. Spyro: Year of the Dragon

Apr 21, 2018
1. Super Mario World
2. Donkey Kong Country
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario 64
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Donkey Kong Country 2
8. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
9. Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island
10. Super Mario Odyssey

I don't really consider a Metroidvania a platformer, so it feels weird seeing Castlevania and Hollow Knight in here.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm not going to make a Metroid list. They are platformers but I'm not going to do that because...well because. I'm also going to limit my entries from series (considering 3D and 2D separate)

Also, a couple notes: Platformers are not a genre I think much about and also the height of my interest was when I was a kid so I'm pretty out of touch with what drew me to those games at that time but still my list is mostly going to be the games I was gifted as a kid and got into for whatever reason with a smattering of more recent Mario and Donkey Kong.
  1. Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest -- This was my favorite platformer growing up. I played a lot of the whole SNES trilogy with my sister multiple times. I played it again at some point in college--I forget when now and it held up beautifully.
  2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze -- My favorite modern 2D platformer. Very different from Rare DKC, but good on its own terms.
  3. Kirby's Super Star -- A hugely important game in my childhood. I loved the sheer amount and variety of content and all the cute characters.
  4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island -- Absolutely beautiful and a very unique game at the time.
  5. Super Mario Galaxy -- This captured my imagination and left me missing its form in subsequent 3D Marios.
  6. Super Mario 3D World -- I really loved this. As Odyssey was coming up (which I ended up loving), I came to realize just how much I was actually a fan of the direction Galaxy 2 and 3D World took and had doubts about Odyssey.
  7. Super Mario World -- I love the world map and the way the regions interconnected. The art is gorgeous.
  8. Ape Escape -- Controls were strange and awkward at first but capturing monkeys is a lot of fun.
  9. Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus -- I really liked the characters, the graphics, and the more direct levels.
  10. Spyro the Dragon -- Spyro and his friends were cute. I liked the hubs a lot.