'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The controls is what I dislike about the game. Maybe it's because I played it with a DS4 pad. But the controls are not so precise. Take one step in the game to see what I mean. The steps are large and there is a lack of fine control in the air. Again it could be the controller that I am using.
Hm, maybe the controller is an issue; I played on the Switch D-pad and had no problems there. But most people seem to prefer the PS4 pad, so I dunno.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that SMB3 and World didn't eat each others votes so that they both made top 3.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
My thoughts on the top ten thus far:

• Hollow Knight- Spoke at this at length over other posts. I like the aesthetics and boss fights. Some of the platforming and traversal options are good but... game is too bloated for my liking and was a chore to play through. Probably the single-most overrated of the indie-darlings loved on this forum.
  • Yoshi's Island- Great graphics and effects from the FX2 chip. Has some really memorable set pieces but those are sandwiched in between some pretty dull stages with a painful lack of thematic variety-- the cave stages, in particular, suck. A handful of pretty good boss fights but I feel like they're their spectacle with very little challenge-- they're great boss battles compared to other 2D Mario titles however. 25 years later and the crying baby Mario sound is still painful to hear. I got this AND DKC2 the very same Christmas-- DKC2 is the clear winner of the two :P
  • Super Mario Odyssey- Awesome movement options, great soundtrack, some really great worlds but... overstuffed and lacking serious challenge. The high number of moons trivializes the experience of getting them. I generally don't like that great of a focus on collectathon mechanics in my platformers in general. Overall, though, the game is worth playing.
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze- Mostly incredible game, easily the franchise highlight (sorry DKC2). Boss battles tend to run a little long in tooth despite being super simple and I simply cannot tolerate the rocket barrel stages. Otherwise, however, game knocks it out of the park. Stellar soundtrack.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2- I adored this title at launch but its luster has faded for me over the years. It doesn't have the "immediacy" of the original and feels like a VERY iterative sequel. Memory serves that it has less stupid motion control challenges in the levels than the original-- so that is good. Soundtrack doesn't have quite the highs as the prequel-- that's bad. The narrative is stupid in both games so I appreciate it talks to me far less.
  • Celeste- Great game with a few faults that hold it back from being a GOAT for me. The game excels at pure platforming, however. Boss battles are one of the characteristics that define the genre for me and... this doesn't have any! Traditional bosses don't really fit the narrative I guess but...
  • Super Mario Galaxy- Like SMG2... Fondness for this game faded with time. The prevalence of motion control courses really irritate me. The planetoid-to-planetoid structure of the game, where you literally sit there as the game plays itself for you, is no different than the non-interactive boost pads in 3D Sonic. Mario's top movement speed is slower than other titles, making the tempo of the game slower than what I expect from a Mario title. Music is awesome.
The controls is what I dislike about the game. Maybe it's because I played it with a DS4 pad. But the controls are not so precise. Take one step in the game to see what I mean. The steps are large and there is a lack of fine control in the air. Again it could be the controller that I am using.

i beat the game on a regular ass switch on a flight to Japan. The controls are fine, even with that POS D-Pad.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird knocking Celeste for not having traditional boss fights. IMO, boss fights in platformers that don't have combat options (so, games like Mario, DK, etc) tend to be pretty bland since just having you jump on top of an enemy in a slightly harder way than regular enemies is not all that interesting (it also tends to involve a lot of just waiting for the weak spot to be revealed). The way Celeste handles its "boss fights" (by fully integrating them to the platforming) is a lot more interesting IMO and a much better take on the idea than what other platformers do.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island- Great graphics and effects from the FX2 chip. Has some really memorable set pieces but those are sandwiched in between some pretty dull stages with a painful lack of thematic variety-- the cave stages, in particular, suck. A handful of pretty good boss fights but I feel like they're their spectacle with very little challenge-- they're great boss battles compared to other 2D Mario titles however. 25 years later and the crying baby Mario sound is still painful to hear. I got this AND DKC2 the very same Christmas-- DKC2 is the clear winner of the two :P
I played both when they first came out, too, and I felt Yoshi's Island was a breath of fresh air. It felt very new whereas DKC2 was a well crafted but safe and iterative game.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think it's weird knocking Celeste for not having traditional boss fights. IMO, boss fights in platformers that don't have combat options (so, games like Mario, DK, etc) tend to be pretty bland since just having you jump on top of an enemy in a slightly harder way than regular enemies is not all that interesting (it also tends to involve a lot of just waiting for the weak spot to be revealed). The way Celeste handles its "boss fights" (by fully integrating them to the platforming) is a lot more interesting IMO and a much better take on the idea than what other platformers do.

I don't really understand this, because bosses like the ones in DKTF are fully based on platforming. I'm not sure how they would change that, or why they would want to.

Also, part of the draw to me for bosses is their designs. Having a cool design is a big part of what makes a boss memorable to me, and I think DKTF succeeded with this.

Results 3-1
OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
IT'S FINALLY HERE! The top 101 is complete and I just want to thank everyone who participated in getting to this wild ride. But we're not done yet. Honorable Mentions will be posted early next week, and there are other stats and content being worked on as well. In the meantime, enjoy ResetEra's 101 Essential Platformers!

Super_Mario_Bros._3.png

BAGES:
3rd Place Best Level Design

What TheWildCard has to say:

"Represents the pinnacle of the 8-bit platforming era of pure platformers, and still one of the most joyful games you can play. Looks and sounds amazing for the hardware it is running on. Levels are plentiful but not too long, and there are enough powerups and secrets to comb through levels without detracting from the pure pleasure of movement."

What WestEgg has to say:

"Super Mario Bros. 3 takes the concept of Super Mario Bros., takes the spirit of what it wants to do, and then just reinvents, recontextualizes, and reimagines it in a massively improved way. Mario has never felt better to move and control on a 2D plane. The levels are short and concise, offering a great variety of enemies, obstacles, and challenges that never feels overwhelming. It brought the World Map into the platforming mainstream, and managed to hide secrets not just all over its levels, but even in the maps themselves. [...] The game just feels too big to have been possible on the NES. I still don't understand how they did it. And it feels as good to play today as it did back when I was a kid. It's pure, genius craftsmanship in the art of game making."

What Lulzwagon has to say:

"Pure platforming bliss distilled into a liquid that was then injected into every cartridge. Super Mario Bros 3. is everything I love about a 2D platformer. Not too many puzzles, not too many gimmicks, not too many underused mechanics introduced for faux-variety and short & sweet levels. I think 2D platformers are at their best when they are simply a test of reflexes, timing and wit. No game represents this purity more than SMB 3."

OST Highlights:
Overworld
www.youtube.com

Above Ground BGM - Super Mario Bros. 3

Music: Above Ground BGM Composer: Koji Kondo Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45AF721D6D42EA80 Platform: NES
Athletic
www.youtube.com

Athletic BGM - Super Mario Bros. 3

Music: Athletic BGM Composer: Koji Kondo Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45AF721D6D42EA80 Platform: NES

Super_Mario_World.png

What CJCW? has to say:

"About as close to perfection as a game can get. The platforming itself feels tight, with Mario moving exactly as you'd expect him to based on your inputs. The powerups, both new and old, change your approach to enemies and obstacles encountered; the cape in particular adds a new degree of freedom to the Mario formula, and is used pretty ingeniously when required to find the game's more tricky exits. [...] The music is incredible, not just in how good it is on its own, but also in its refusal to simply parrot old series tunes - Athletic, my personal favorite, fits the stages it's present in with its jaunty rhythm and its balance between feeling upbeat and manic. The sprite work is fantastic, about as good as it gets in a 16-bit game, presenting clear enemy designs, well-timed animations, and gorgeous scrolling backgrounds. All in all, Super Mario World is everything a fan of platforming games could ever want, and sits comfortably at the top of my list of the best the genre has to offer."

What miserable Person has to say:

"Platforming perfection and one of the greatest games of all-time. Mario's romp through Dinosaur Land is rife with shortcuts, secrets, and teases of what's to come during an ever escalating quest to rescue Princess Peach. Mario feels perfect, his weightiness doesn't betray his ability to properly maneuver mid jump and real skill is needed to complete every level the game has to offer."

What MondoMega has to say:

Super Mario World resonates with me more than any other 2D Mario title; the colorful aesthetic letting it stand out, Koji Kondo's compositions obviously be exceptional (personally, i'm a huge fan of them using a single leitmotif throughout the game; but i'm glad they only decided to go for it once), Mario's looser controls allowing for a ton of fun and surprisingly precise movement (kinda an oxymoron there, I know) and the inter-connected feeling of Dinosaur Land truly expanding upon the world map first introduced in SMB3. I don't have much more I can say; it's good.

OST Highlights:
Athletic
www.youtube.com

Athletic - Super Mario: World

Music: Athletic Platform: SNES Reupload of GilvaSunner: https://www.youtube.com/user/GilvaSunner
Castle Theme

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Super_Mario_64.png

BADGES:
2nd Place Best Mechanics

What Nisaba has to say:

"I consider this to be the most important platformer. At the time of it's release, I could not believe what I was playing. Years of 2D platforming foundation ingrained in me...to suddenly be shattered so easily by Nintendo once they introduced that third dimension. I still cannot believe they managed to get it so right on their first try, how? This game is a testament to the genius of Nintendo and a true masterstroke of platforming that really has defined the genre in 3D. I cannot picture any other platformer being as essential to play and experience at least once so you too can know of it's innovation and delightful range of gameplay mechanics."

What DinoBlaster has to say:

"The bible of 3D platformers. Mario still controls like a dream and the music/sound effects remain timeless. After the first couple missions you can tackle the game in almost any order you want, and it's all magical. Exploring Peach's castle, jumping into paintings, grabbing Bowser by the tail, long-jumping and side-flipping anywhere I damn well please...I love this game."

What Kolibri has to say:
"This is the most essential 3D platformer of all time, and my favourite platformer altogether. Well over 20 years later, this polygonal pioneer is still an absolute joy to play. People all over the world know the impact this game had on the industry, and everyone can appreciate just how hard Nintendo nailed this on their very first try. I did not place this game above the other 3D Mario games (which I all love), merely out of nostalgia.
Mario just controls that well in this old game. The unbelievable variety of moves Mario can pull of in this game are simply unmatched (although Odyssey comes close). [...] I love the freedom of level progression. I love Mario's moves. I love the 'levels within levels' like the Pyramid in Shifting Sand Land. I love the music. I love 'surfing' around on a Koopa Shell."

OST Highlights:
Dire, Dire Docks
www.youtube.com

Dire, Dire Docks - Super Mario 64

Music: Dire, Dire Docks Composer: Koji Kondo Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FA3FE759E7FEE2B Platform: Nintendo 64
Slide
www.youtube.com

Slide - Super Mario 64

Music: Slide Composer: Koji Kondo Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FA3FE759E7FEE2B Platform: Nintendo 64

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well, I can't say I really agree with the top 10, but it is really cool DKTF got so high. SMW and Galaxy 2 are also pretty good and I don't disagree with them making a top 10 platformer list.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IT'S FINALLY HERE! The top 101 is complete and I just want to thank everyone who participated in getting to this wild ride. But we're not done yet. Honorable Mentions will be posted early next week, and there are other stats and content being worked on as well. In the meantime, enjoy ResetEra's 101 Essential Platformers!
Thanks to all of you involved for the work in putting this together!

I think this list could have used a strict limit on the number of games per franchise (not for people's votes but for the end list). Maybe that would be against the intended spirit of the thread, and some great games would get kicked out, but it might allow for more underdog series' to make it in.

I'm looking forward to the honourable mentions section. Hopefully there will be some overlooked stuff there. The 101 is very mainstream (as happens with collectively made lists) so I'm not surprised I have played every game on it.

SMB and SM64 were the two most revolutionary games of all time don't @ me
Two of , sure. "The two" across all genres would have some competition.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm happy World got so high, it's my favourite 2D Mario. Hope this happens again next year so I can participate! Can't believe I missed the voting deadline for this

Oct 25, 2017
Woof on that top three.

World in front of 3 is malpractice.

I can live with 64 in the top spot, though I don't think it holds up here in 2020.

This was a very cool thing y'all put together. Thanks for running it. :)

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Mario 64 is wrong at the top of that list. Nostalgia is the reason it ranked so high.

It's like voting Citizen Kane the best movie of all time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Either 3 over World or World over 3 are fine for me, can see the arguments from both sides. 64 winning is also correct considering the impact it had in the industry, even if I'm not particularly fond of the game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
BOO!! at Super Mario World besting Super Mario Bros 3. I've went at length about SMW in the past, I'll save it here.

Super Mario 64 isn't surprising, it's one of the very small handful of Nintendo 64 games worth playing. It was a big fucking deal when it came out and it still is.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly fine with the top 10, except YI should be higher, Celeste lower, and Hollow Knight not there at all. I also prefer SMG2 over the first, but they're pretty even in my eyes, so I'll let it slide. Also, SM64 #1 is totally deserved.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World completed in 5-10 hours? Were there warp pipes in that shit that I didn't know about?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
SMW beat SMB3 and I was quoted for it; definitely content there. 64 taking the top spot isn't surprising, and i'm fine with it; love that game a lot, and it still holds up.

Thanks to everyone involved for putting this together; it's clear that a lot of time and effort was put into making this, and the end result was great!

cartman414

Jan 7, 2018
BOO!! at Super Mario World besting Super Mario Bros 3. I've went at length about SMW in the past, I'll save it here.

Super Mario 64 isn't surprising, it's one of the very small handful of Nintendo 64 games worth playing. It was a big fucking deal when it came out and it still is.

Same. tl;dr version: 3 - more variety, better balanced difficulty (World's cape was busted), better and more challenging platforming.

64 though was eclipsed by the more refined IMO Odyssey.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shame to see SMW ahead of SMB3, but glad that SMW didn't win, it's way too easy. I'd have gone SMB3 > SM64, but they're both incredible.

Cheers to all who worked on this.

Might post my personal top 100 later, been working on it for my own amusement but I do have 97 games on it now lol so I may as well post it

OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for the thanks, everyone!

I (and the rest of the team) learned a lot from hosting such a large and interactive thread, and will hopefully reunite to host an even bigger and better Essential Platformers thread. I would estimate we'll make a Version 2.0 in like 2022 (assuming the world is still around... everyone stay safe and healthy!)

Hopefully that gives everyone who cares and is able plenty of time to play every game on this list + the HMs in whatever order they please if they haven't already. Plus we'll be a couple of years into next-gen, so it will be interesting to see what games that have yet to even release will make the new list.

Anyway, couldn't have done it without McScroggz WestEgg and @FiveSide, so massive shoutouts to them!

I think this list could have used a strict limit on the number of games per franchise (not for people's votes but for the end list). Maybe that would be against the intended spirit of the thread, and some great games would get kicked out, but it might allow for more underdog series' to make it in.

Two of , sure. "The two" across all genres would have some competition.

I do feel that's a little against the spirit of the thread, but plenty of time to discuss and think on pros and cons of such changes before we do this again. One thing I'll commit to for sure is that we give everyone more votes - at least 15!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I disagree with Mario 64's first place. I'm still watching Mario 64 speedruns today which has given me countless hours of entertainment. Well done to the organizers!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, happy to see Mario 64 on top. Also World over 3! I like playing World a lot more so Im happy with that, although I feel like 3 was the more innovative of the two.

Thank you all of those who put this together! It was a really fun ride!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
that's not a screenshot from mario 64 lol

either way

YOU NAILED THE TOP TWO IN THE CORRECT ORDER

CONGRATULATIONS TO RESETERA FOR BEING RIGHT

ALL HAIL THE 3D GOAT MARIO 64 AND THE 2D GOAT MARIO WORLD <3 <3 <3

this is post 1996, and we shall all now celebrate by watching the GOAT in its idealized form:

despite being 24 years old, Super Mario 64 remains the most popular speed game in the world. new titles come and go, including new mario games, but the king has been a fixture at the top for as long as speedrunning has been a common thing.

this is the majesty of SM64. a game with a low skill floor, but an infinitely high skill ceiling. pro players dedicate their lives to pushing the game as hard as possible, streaming speedruns full time.... to shave mere seconds off the top time. new strats are discovered regularly. and yet, even the best human play possible ain't SHIT compared to the TAS runs of the game, showing what the engine is capable of when pushed to its absolute limits.

no platformer since has rewarded such skill and allowed such freedom of movement and creativity. for that reason, I consider it a perfect game, and I still have fun replaying it, mostly just fucking around, wall jumping, long jumping, and trying to get stars in new and creative ways.

what a fucking game. endlessly re-playable and infinitely fun. not too many games I can describe like that. congratulations GOAT.

Last edited:

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think SM64 is the best platformer of all time as a stand alone game but I think it is probably, from a design perspective, the great accomplishment in video games history. It legitimately incredible how well they nailed movement in 3D. However, the impressive things about it go way beyond just the movement. The dev team clearly had a really deep understanding of how to structure very large and complex 3D environments in an interesting (but still comprehensible) way, way ahead of any of their contemporaries. Obvious contrasts are games like Sonic Adventure and (for all its virtues) much less ambitious games like Crash.

I do think that it's kind of funny that because of the inherent difficulty of making accessible and compelling 3D platformers that SM64s primary legacy today (via GTAIII and Prince of Persia SOT) is the Ubisoft style 3D action adventure open world game though.