Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they really gets me is all the moral grandstanding when you haven't even read the actual content. I know tons of people just react to the title but save me the righteous indignation when you in reality haven't made any effort.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
This is actually a good one. A lot of the gaming communities migrated to Discord servers and I find they are more toxic because the moderation is looser. I also can't have live conversation at work so I prefer thread formats

I have been in three "Era" discords and left two because of how toxic they were. The third is the only one I'm still in but it's become more of an OT discord imo than the topic it was formed around. :( I like the concept of the discords but yeah it's hard to stay there when there's no rules or anything. (And yeah, I realize the ERA mods can't really do anything about it but on paper these ideas sound great. In practice though...)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely spoiler culture. What some folks consider spoilers or a statute of limitations is ridiculous. It's reaching a point well have to spoiler any discussion besides the word "the"

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Posting a pic of a game without saying the game it's from.

Oh yeah this is a big one for me. Extends to favorite character/scene/whatever and they just post a picture.

That and I hate how "Don't @ me" has taken off. I know people use it to really hammer it in how unwavered their opinion is like saying "Nuff said" or /thread. But it comes across off as terribly obnoxious to me.

Insecure as fuck console warriors. Especially around E3 time. "If you guys aren't going to be positive, then get out of the thread, you're ruining my hype".

I'd get it if people were derailing, but I've seen so many people respond that defensively to the most neutral statements.

I was actually going to say the opposite and basically call out the party poopers. I mean most of it is just baffling.

"Looks great!"
"Combat looks great!"
"I can't wait"

"Meh... Looks like crap"

I can understand adding a dissenting opinion like "Textures look really rough, and I'm noticing some frame dips. Not impressed." But I mean the guy who has to be a total Scrooge in the thread, that's a pet peeve.

That and the people who don't like THING and has to make it known in all threads related to THING.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I posted a thread on a condo renovation I personally performed that I was very proud of, literally saying it in the title because I wanted to show it off. I got a lot of "must be nice" drive by posts because I obviously tossed some money at it. Like c'mon am I not allowed to be happy? Not directly related to what you've said but people get shade thrown at them if they show any iota of wealth.
There's a portion of the members here that will pile on you like some rich capitalist evil swine if you spend even a tiny bit of money on something not necessary for life. There are members here from all places on the wealth spectrum. But those with means really have to be careful.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
- People putting periods at the end of goddamn thread titles. It's a title. Not your damn post.
- As others mentioned, we don't need a "we need to talk about..." no
- Bringing ones avatar into the discussion as if it matters
- Constant negativity on a lot things where there's some normal positivity
- drive-by posts which tie into the previous pet peeve
- Not transparent enough reasons to lock a thread by staff. I don't think it hurts to be specific and explain your judgement, this is no different from that Modbot.

Dec 2, 2017
Also the way people assume there's a forum consensus about certain things and don't debate them in good faith. The amount of people who seem to assume their dislike of TLJ or whatever is just common accepted fact is mind boggling.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There's a portion of the members here that will pile on you like some rich capitalist evil swine if you spend even a tiny bit of money on something not necessary for life. There are members here from all places on the wealth spectrum. But those with means really have to be careful.

I've been that person because sometimes is clear that its a rich person humblebrag. I mean if you have money to show off your nice things, a bit of heat on the internet can easily be brushed off with said nice things.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I also forgot to mention the spoiler culture here. The threads that pop up after big movies or shows that don't even try to prevent spoilers or posters openly talking about spoilers in other threads is disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
- Bringing ones avatar into the discussion as if it matters
20117.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah this is a big one for me. Extends to favorite character/scene/whatever and they just post a picture.

That and I hate how "Don't @ me" has taken off. I know people use it to really hammer it in how unwavered their opinion is like saying "Nuff said" or /thread. But it comes across off as terribly obnoxious to me.

I was actually going to say the opposite and basically call out the party poopers. I mean most of it is just baffling.

"Looks great!"
"Combat looks great!"
"I can't wait"

"Meh... Looks like crap"

I can understand adding a dissenting opinion like "Textures look really rough, and I'm noticing some frame dips. Not impressed." But I mean the guy who has to be a total Scrooge in the thread, that's a pet peeve.

That and the people who don't like THING and has to make it known in all threads related to THING.
I'm just thinking back to Nintendo E3 thread. Everyone jumped on a guy who tweeted to lower their expectations.

They were hyping up the Ubisoft show expecting a ton of new stuff. That didn't happen, then it was just simple stuff like, okay, I'm not expecting too much outside of Smash.

If that ruffles you, I don't know what you want. And I'm not even exaggerating to make my point.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thread titles that are "[MOVIE/GAME/BOOK/ETC] is out next [DAY OF THE WEEK]". I.E. "Super Mario is out Next Tuesday"

That's fine when the thread is new but if the thread lasts for a few weeks it's super confusing. Just give us a specific date: "Super Mario is out May 9th" or somesuch.

Also back-to-back posts not merging can be annoying, but that may not be supported in the forum software ERA is using.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Lately, its been getting the constant disconnect errors on Chrome for iOS. The site will crash every 5 mins when i'm browsing on mobile and it's so grating.

Also, I hate when people post threads back-to-back that is basically just them going to a new site and posting a snippet with a link.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Your past comments and Twitter history matter only matter if resetera likes you or not.

Also these threads are just not very well disguised complaint threads.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017

"Looks great!"
"Combat looks great!"
"I can't wait"

"Meh... Looks like crap"

So it's ok to praise a game without explaining why it looks good to you, but you can't criticise without a detailed explanation? Hypocritical, no?

Mindless hype posts never get pulled up, but say you're not feeling a game and somebody will always chide you for trying be a downer. They are two sides of the same coin.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"this will sell like hot cakes"

People who talk as if they are industry insiders but are probably just undergrads in college

Spoiler culture

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Did your long thoughtful post have a small inaccuracy somewhere in it? Well then your point is now 100% invalidated, good day to you.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been that person because sometimes is clear that its a rich person humblebrag. I mean if you have money to show off your nice things, a bit of heat on the internet can easily be brushed off with said nice things.
That's the problem. Everyone thinks it's clear but it's not always so black and white. Could be like the person I replied to. Just proud of the work he did on his house. I'm sure to someone he's rich. Still no excuse to give them shit.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So it's ok to praise a game without explaining why it looks good to you, but you can't criticise without a detailed explanation? Hypocritical, no?

Mindless hype posts never get pulled up, but say you're not feeling a game and somebody will always chide you for trying be a downer. They are two sides of the same coin.
Actually no, and people bring this up as a terrible attempt as a gotcha. It's not equal at all.

People having a good time > People complaining

I'm just thinking back to Nintendo E3 thread. Everyone jumped on a guy who tweeted to lower their expectations.

They were hyping up the Ubisoft show expecting a ton of new stuff. That didn't happen, then it was just simple stuff like, okay, I'm not expecting too much outside of Smash.

If that ruffles you, I don't know what you want. And I'm not even exaggerating to make my point.

Oh no, I'd say that's a totally different thing, you're right.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
This one can be annoying. "Hey this guy has a Mario avatar, so clearly his opinions on Nintendo are skewed."
Exactly. Literally the most annoying and unnecessary shade when it feels like the person only brings it up because they can't handle a normal discussion and just want to mentally right you off and feel better inside.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
When a thread starts with "(Insert celebrity) accused of (insert crime)" and the first wave of comments are variations of:

I always knew they were a piece of shit
Fuck them
They've always been horrible

It's like people don't understand what "accused of" means and just want to tear a celebrity to shreds.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's the problem. Everyone thinks it's clear but it's not always so black and white. Could be like the person I replied to. Just proud of the work he did on his house. I'm sure to someone he's rich. Still no excuse to give them shit.

I was speaking in general, idk anything about the thread you're talking. And yes, sometimes its super clear. I stay out of those places after being "that person" who you don't like but I understand the feeling you rail against and I can't gel with the idea that people with money have to "watch themselves" on Era. Most people fawn over expensive setups and toys here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Another pet peeve which is a broad online thing

People who say "isn't he/she the one who..." and provides unprovable or wrong info

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
The race to post a snarky post/gif in response to someone's sincere, thought through OP just to get those "lol first post" replies.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a thread on a condo renovation I personally performed that I was very proud of, literally saying it in the title because I wanted to show it off. I got a lot of "must be nice" drive by posts because I obviously tossed some money at it. Like c'mon am I not allowed to be happy? Not directly related to what you've said but people get shade thrown at them if they show any iota of wealth.

I do it all the time, sorry!
Yeah ... If you make 100K on Era, it's pretty much don't ever complain about anything, don't show anything you have because phew ... that'll always set people off.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Actually no, and people bring this up as a terrible attempt as a gotcha. It's not equal at all.

People having a good time > People complaining

Since when were reveal threads or preview threads exclusively for people who want to "have a good time". Posts like "hype" and "day one" are pointless spam. Why shouldn't someone be entitled to watch a preview and post their honest opinion if they aren't impressed?

Its silly that people can't handle someone not liking something they like. Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.