• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Per Bisnow, nobody else reporting yet that I've seen. Warning, site has lots of ads/pop-ins/notification requests.

fit

Beginning next year, Chick-fil-A will move away from its current philanthropic structure, Bisnow has learned. After donating to more than 300 charitable organizations this year, the Atlanta-based fast-food chain will instead focus on three initiatives with one accompanying charity each: education, homelessness and hunger.

The new initiative will no longer include donating to organizations like the Salvation Army, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Paul Anderson Youth Home, Chick-fil-A says, all of which sparked criticism in the past from the LGBT community due to the organizations' stances on homosexuality. The move comes after several U.S. airports rejected the company from concessions deals earlier this year. More recently, the landlord of the first Chick-fil-A in the U.K. announced eight days into its lease the pop-up venue would not be welcome to extend — all because of the company's perceived anti-LGBT stance.

Starting next year, the Chick-fil-A Foundation plans to give $9M to organizations like Junior Achievement USA to support education, Covenant House International to fight homelessness and community food banks for its hunger initiative in each city where the chain operates. The company intends to dedicate $25K to a local food bank each time it opens a new location.

For those who haven't been eating at CFA because of this, is this step enough to get you to return? Also, which menu items are good? I've only eaten there once and it was just ok.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Big if true. Money speaks and this would be a great example of how even casually fighting against this kind of stuff can result in positive change.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
But people said they stopped years ago. 🤔🤔🤔

They did not. Shockers. And I'll believe it when they actually do.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I already would go a few times whenever I went back to America. The guilt didn't hit me too hard as opposed to if I still lived there and visited often, so this news for me is most useful if I do move back. Under that circumstance I would definitely continue to go.

I grew up on CFA and it was also my first job about a decade ago. I think it is simply the best fast food out there and I appreciate the owner and the people who continue to work there. Really hope this is true.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see some long term follow-through.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They've said this before and try to sneak around to other Christian charities only to reveal later those charities are anti-LGBT

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't this the like, third time they've said this?
Right. "They stopped the donations" has always been a rallying cry from CFA's fans and I've never gotten a clear impression whether these sorts of things have been the entire company, just the charitable arm, or the executive team. A company this large can find a way to make those donations and still stand by an article saying "CFA stops donations."

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not giving money to hate groups doesn't mean they've actively changed their stance on those issues so this is kind of a whatever news story tbh.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The only way I think they could convince me this is true is if they start donating to pro-LGBT charities instead.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhm.......Are there actually charities that are explicitly set up for Anti LGBTQ purposes or are the simply charities that happen to also be total douchbags?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I was stunned when i found out they're the most profitable fast food restaraunt.
There is no god

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To think there are still people praising Chick-Fil-A regularly on this forum. I did a double take in those Popeyes' threads whenever they were brought up positively - and nobody bats an eye. Made me think I must have had my evil corporations confused.

Yes there isn't, but Chick-Fil-A would like to disagree with you.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
so they're going to open their own reprogramming camps? In the compound they're building next to pinewood...?

Foolin no one son.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Not giving money to hate groups doesn't mean they've actively changed their stance on those issues so this is kind of a whatever news story tbh.
The only tangible effect their stance had on these issues was donating to anti-lgbt groups, so then stopping that would probably be "fine". The best case scenario would be for them to support pro-lgbt charities instead, but I imagine we'll actually hit the middle road of "do nothing and pretend we did a lot" that tends to happen with this kind of lip service.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming from the wording that this is the company, and not the owners themselves? Because you're still funding those groups indirectly by giving CFA money.

Plus they've said this before and it turned out to be a lie, so I'm not really believing them this time around.

(Plus my local area has a non-religious chicken shack that is leagues better than anything CFA sells, so I wouldn't go to CFA regardless.)

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhm.......Are there actually charities that are explicitly set up for Anti LGBTQ purposes or are the simply charities that happen to also be total douchbags?

The latter, though that's not much of a difference IMO. If you're a charitable organization barring LGBTQ entry you are actively contributing an anti-LGTBQ rhetoric to society.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

I'll believe it when someone independently confirms after their donations are public.

I feel like they said this and lied multiple times in just the last few years.