Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to defeat Singe and mad is it hard lol. Feels like I am either way too underpowered or im not supposed to be here yet. Im trying to find some sort of tower, but I think its going to end up being right behind him.

But from looking at guides and youtube it looks like other people have different weapons already for the fight. Did they just do co-op to get better gear or is this skipable?

EDIT: NVM lol, I finally beat him. Just leveled up my gear a bit more before I attempted him again this morning. I probably could have gotten the tail if I had a co-op partner, but oh well.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Been trying to defeat Singe and mad is it hard lol. Feels like I am either way too underpowered or im not supposed to be here yet. Im trying to find some sort of tower, but I think its going to end up being right behind him.

But from looking at guides and youtube it looks like other people have different weapons already for the fight. Did they just do co-op to get better gear or is this skipable?
The game is largely level-scaled with some minimum levels (based on gear level), so if your advanced stats screen, while you're in Singe's map, doesn't have red arrows pointing down, you shouldn't be underpowered.

There are only 4 main guns you are guaranteed to have access to at this point: Coach Gun, Shotgun, Hunting Rifle, Sniper Rifle. Sniper rifle can be found at the basement of the church you protected Root Mother in, the rest can be bought at the base. It is also possible (but unlikely) to have Assault Rifle and Chicago Typewriter at that point based on world generation, but these aren't "better" guns. Especially when you don't have the tools to make optimized builds based on fast firerate yet.

Every weapon in the game is roughly balanced and end-game viable when you upgrade them Dark Souls style.

Singe is a mandatory fight if your world has him (alternative spawn is a 'tree cthulhu' boss, equally difficult).
Which difficulty are you playing on? Normal and Hard are intended as viable for first playthroughs.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The game is largely level-scaled with some minimum levels (based on gear level), so if your advanced stats screen, while you're in Singe's map, doesn't have red arrows pointing down, you shouldn't be underpowered.

There are only 4 main guns you are guaranteed to have access to at this point: Coach Gun, Shotgun, Hunting Rifle, Sniper Rifle. Sniper rifle can be found at the basement of the church you protected Root Mother in, the rest can be bought at the base. It is also possible (but unlikely) to have Assault Rifle and Chicago Typewriter at that point based on world generation, but these aren't "better" guns. Especially when you don't have the tools to make optimized builds based on fast firerate yet.

Every weapon in the game is roughly balanced and end-game viable when you upgrade them Dark Souls style.

Singe is a mandatory fight if your world has him (alternative spawn is a 'tree cthulhu' boss, equally difficult).
Which difficulty are you playing on? Normal and Hard are intended as viable for first playthroughs.
Yea, I just upgraded my gear a bit this morning and beat him finally. I probably could have gotten the tail if I had a co-op partner, but its alright.

Im playing on normal for my first go around. This was the first time ive actually had difficulty that seemed impossible before I tried upgrading my gear lol.

Thanks btw.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So for a first time play through, when I get to the Undying King, Do I accept his offer to retrieve the Guardian's Heart from Crosus, or reject his offer and fight him?

Then, it says if I do get the heart, I can either give it to him or not. Looks like you can either get the Slayer armor set and the Crossbow, OR the Riven melee weapon.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
So for a first time play through, when I get to the Undying King, Do I accept his offer to retrieve the Guardian's Heart from Crosus, or reject his offer and fight him?

Then, it says if I do get the heart, I can either give it to him or not. Looks like you can either get the Slayer armor set and the Crossbow, OR the Riven melee weapon.
Generally I'd recommend to fight the Undying King (only after retrieving the heart, right at the end of 2nd planet he's a bit overpowered), because the Queen's rewards are so much better.

Crossbow is a nice silent Sniper Rifle alternative, Undying King's boss weapon is also cool, and Slayer set is the best damage armor set for single-shot weapons. Riven on the other hand, is one of multiple ways to get melee lifesteal, which also isn't all that strong if you don't have the DLC to stack it all up.

Even if you fight him and die, and think the fight's way too hard/annoying, you can still bail out of that choice if you haven't give the heart to Queen already.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The crossbow is an amazing weapon, I basically mained that for a long time.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Regarding my woe of having to redownload the game again each time there's an update on EGS, I came across this cool Medium post that explains the possible cause of this issue:

medium.com

Patchworks or: Why the “Remnant: From the Ashes” update was 42 times larger on the Epic Games Store

Much to the chagrin of players the latest update came in at a whopping 37 Gigabytes. But how did this happen?

So basically, there's a possibility that there's an issue with how the dev deploys the patch, which forces EGS users to redownload the whole game rather than the required parts of the game. And it seems the issue has been fixed? I've just downloaded a new update on EGS and it didn't download the whole game, so horray!

Now I have to convince my friend to download the game again after redownloading the game twice without even being able to play it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
NVM, I got the Particle Accelerator and found the Undead King.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Can I go back to Earth and get the Pocket Watch if im already at the Undead King and Corus or whatever that location is called? Or did I miss out on it completely?

I really like having minions in my build, but I cant tell which I like more, the meatballs or the skulls. Are either of them better than the other? Seems like the meatballs hit harder, but they only have melee attacks compared to the skulls that do ranged.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Can I go back to Earth and get the Pocket Watch if im already at the Undead King and Corus or whatever that location is called? Or did I miss out on it completely?
If Mudtooth spawned in your save's Earth, then yes, you can just go back and get it.
I really like having minions in my build, but I cant tell which I like more, the meatballs or the skulls. Are either of them better than the other? Seems like the meatballs hit harder, but they only have melee attacks compared to the skulls that do ranged.
Neither of them is objectively better, very few things in game are. I prefer keeping the little gremlins for regular levels, but in bosses it's case-by-case. Too much AoE, or boss out of reach of melee? Pick skulls.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If Mudtooth spawned in your save's Earth, then yes, you can just go back and get it.
Yea im almost possitive he did, I just didnt know about the Pocket Watch at the time and didnt think I could go back. Thanks though, ill try it tomorrow.

Kinda want to try out the Survival mode stuff tomorrow too.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Kinda want to try out the Survival mode stuff tomorrow too.
Uuh, that's gonna be rough. Just so you know, you can face almost any boss in Survival, with gear that you have to gather during the run, and they'll be just as tough as in story if not tougher. Sure, you can try it, but go in expecting to die to every boss you haven't fought before :P

Remember Singe? Now, think similar experience with any other new boss, but no second try until RNG decides you face them again.

When you DO know the fights tho, it's imo the best way to experience the game's combat. No upgrading or anything, different builds every run that you try to make work.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Today I finally bought the game impulsively while experiencing drug induced euphoria.
My 2 first thoughts: Damn, the character models are ugly. But cool, It's Gears Of War, mixed with some Souls and Lovecraftian stuff. Gameplay feels already pretty tight and satisfying. This will give me a good time. I've chosen that class with the healing circle and the sawed off shotgun.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Figured this was wroth a bump with the game hitting PS+ yesterday.

Fired it up with a buddy and had a ton of fun early on. Had to call it a night after beating the first boss, would have played a lot longer if i didn't have an early meeting this morning. Game's a bit rough graphically, and seems like it's 30fps even on PS5, but the gun play is good and seems like a fun, Soul-ish co-op shooter. Hit PS+ at the right time as we were itching for one after the Outriders Demo and the full game isn't out until next month.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
so i got this with ps plus and am planning to join up with a group that has been playing for a bit already. i think they haven't gotten too far so catching up with them in power level before the first session should be doable

i've been looking up what determines the scaling of enemy power in coop sessions, and it seems the most important factor is how upgraded the most upgraded piece of equipment is. is this correct? so if i can find roughly what level their gear is, that should be my target for where i should be when we have the first coop session?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
some thoughts on the game as well. i like this game a lot! the lore and backstory is pretty cool with parallel worlds accessed through dreams. it seems to take place in some version of our world, so trying to figure out the timeline of how things went wrong is pretty interesting.

it's fun to play too! i'm enjoying the combat and the build flexibility. i like that choice of armor seems to have a large effect on your build. i went with the ex-cultist, because first, that sounds sick as hell, and second, the healing gives me some survivability when playing on my own. my healing mod also helped me keep root mother alive in the encounter in the church. it seems the players i will be joining up with doesn't have an ex-cultist so that should complement the team well, which is a plus of course.

neat game, all in all

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
i've been looking up what determines the scaling of enemy power in coop sessions, and it seems the most important factor is how upgraded the most upgraded piece of equipment is. is this correct? so if i can find roughly what level their gear is, that should be my target for where i should be when we have the first coop session?
It's based on your Gear Score iirc, shown in character select menu and it's a weighted average of the best level gear you possess. They've not told the exact formula, but yes, if you have one piece of gear that's way above the best gear in your other slots, it'll affect your Gear Score a disproportionally large amount.

Otherwise you could min-max the game pretty hard by just leveling your main gun and nothing else

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's based on your Gear Score iirc, shown in character select menu and it's a weighted average of the best level gear you possess. They've not told the exact formula, but yes, if you have one piece of gear that's way above the best gear in your other slots, it'll affect your Gear Score a disproportionally large amount.

Otherwise you could min-max the game pretty hard by just leveling your main gun and nothing else
Thanks! Apparently the gear level of one of the other people in the group is 9. I should be able to catch up to that I hope

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Have to say I'm loving and hating this game at the same time, lol. Maybe I did it to myself by setting the difficulty to hard off the bat, but this game is unforgiving as heck. I get so annoyed at enemies seemingly randomly showing up behind me when I've cleared the entire path prior to that point. It's mostly the randomly spawning elite enemies, and its the ones who teleport, so I guess there's at least an explanation for it. And I guess I know to expect it when the music comes on.

I'm on this first boss though, and WOW is this rough. I can time them perfectly and deal with them just fine, but the spawns are making life miserable. The camera being how it is makes it impossible for me to know when these exploding fart bomb monsters are suddenly on me, so I'm constantly having to check my back while managing distance with the boss. I figure I'll eventually get them, but boy have I died a number of times already.

Game seems alright so far, and right now I'm pressing on more out of stubbornness in being agitated at how much the game is completely getting the better of me over and over, lol. I'm a big Souls games fan so this is right up my alley, and its cool to do it with guns, but still never feel comfortable with enemies constantly pressing you. This feels almost like a horror game sometimes so far. I'm still wondering if I made this unnecessarily hard for myself by starting off on hard though. Since there were two higher difficulties I didn't think it would be so bad, but the game is extremely punishing so far.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I'm on this first boss though, and WOW is this rough. I can time them perfectly and deal with them just fine, but the spawns are making life miserable. The camera being how it is makes it impossible for me to know when these exploding fart bomb monsters are suddenly on me, so I'm constantly having to check my back while managing distance with the boss. I figure I'll eventually get them, but boy have I died a number of times already.
Gorefist is one of the 2 possible first bosses you can get, and he's by far the rougher one, because he has the worst add spawn mechanic probably out of any boss in the whole game. To survive, you have no choice but to immediately focus on the 2 exploders the moment they spawn, and try dodging Gorefist's swings almost just by sound.

It does get better.
I'm still wondering if I made this unnecessarily hard for myself by starting off on hard though. Since there were two higher difficulties I didn't think it would be so bad, but the game is extremely punishing so far.
Hard is supposed to be doable with a fresh save, but it's still difficult. Maybe should rethink your choice of weapon and mods for the fight?

For example, Hunting Rifle is the most nimble of the 3 starting weapons, and if it lets you swap your attention to exploders and pop them in one hit, it might be worth it, and Hunter's Mark weapon mod lets you see monsters through walls.

Then there's the SMG in the basement of Ward 13 that you can get as a replacement for your pistol if you solve a puzzle

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Gorefist is one of the 2 possible first bosses you can get, and he's by far the rougher one, because he has the worst add spawn mechanic probably out of any boss in the whole game. To survive, you have no choice but to immediately focus on the 2 exploders the moment they spawn, and try dodging Gorefist's swings almost just by sound.

It does get better.
Hard is supposed to be doable with a fresh save, but it's still difficult. Maybe should rethink your choice of weapon and mods for the fight?

For example, Hunting Rifle is the most nimble of the 3 starting weapons, and if it lets you swap your attention to exploders and pop them in one hit, it might be worth it, and Hunter's Mark weapon mod lets you see monsters through walls.

Then there's the SMG in the basement of Ward 13 that you can get as a replacement for your pistol if you solve a puzzle
Whew, eventually got him. Heck of an introduction to a game's bosses, wow. Definitely left an impression on me. I think what made it so difficult for me is not being able to hip fire. I wonder if that was a conscious design decision, but not being able to hip fire when getting rushed like that makes life a struggle. It also doesn't help that the coach gun only has two shots that I'm having to constantly reload. But yeah, it was just a matter of spacing, timing and stamina conservation. Let the exploders get close enough to detonate, then roll away. Once I started rolling sideways on the uppercut slash of the boss (instead of always rolling backwards) things got a lot easier. Always keeping the boss at arms length to have less chance of him running me down and catching me off guard while I'm dealing with exploders also made things easier.

And thanks for the SMG tip. I just read the first part of how you obtain it so as not to spoil the puzzle, and it seems like I should be good to go with the keycard.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried this out for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. Had never even heard of this game before. What a strange mashup it is but pretty good.

I like challenge so I started in hard and... oh boy. Hit Gorefist roadblock after already dying a lot to get there. That fight is pretty messed up and is very frustrating. Got a friend of mine who is also trying the game and a random but couldn't do it. So, went to adventure mode and got to some alien golem boss on a platform who also owned us. Oh and tried the Ent boss in co-op and failed at that too. This is a hard mode that's actually, properly hard. They should have called it 'very hard'.

So, now I'm playing on normal adventure mode to build my character up a bit. Don't know if I will reset my campaign to normal or no. Doesn't seem to be any bonus to playing on hard other than bragging rights.

Was up until 6AM last night doing co-op with randoms and we killed many bosses. It was super fun.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Doesn't seem to be any bonus to playing on hard other than bragging rights.
There is a minor benefit. You can only get Glowing Fragments while killing bosses on Hard or higher difficulties (altho can also be received in Normal Survival), and those can be used for various cosmetics and a couple of unique pieces of gear at the base.

I think you also get more XP, scrap and crafting materials, but not sure by how much.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
There is a minor benefit. You can only get Glowing Fragments while killing bosses on Hard or higher difficulties (altho can also be received in Normal Survival), and those can be used for various cosmetics and a couple of unique pieces of gear at the base.

I think you also get more XP, scrap and crafting materials, but not sure by how much.

Ah okay. Thanks for the info.

Well, I went back to Gorefist after playing co-op for quite a bit and stomped him so hard. Then I got to the next area and everything synced up to me again and it was rough. So, I just reset my campaign to normal. I don't want to go through the whole campaign waging a battle of attrition which will never get any easier due to the scaling. I'm a bit bummed out about the scaling actually. I've got nice, fancy weapons now with upgraded armour and everything but starting a new campaign it's like I'm fresh off the boat again. I really hate level scaling.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I don't want to go through the whole campaign waging a battle of attrition which will never get any easier due to the scaling. I'm a bit bummed out about the scaling actually. I've got nice, fancy weapons now with upgraded armour and everything but starting a new campaign it's like I'm fresh off the boat again. I really hate level scaling.
Right, yeah, the scaling is abit of a downer surprise to everybody. Whenever I play the game, I tend to just keep my equipment levels at a bare minimum, and only crank them up when the advanced stat screen shows a red arrow (meaning that I'm underleveled for the current area's minimum level)

But there is something you might be misunderstanding a bit, or perhaps I'm reading bit too much into it.

You might have nice fancy weapons, but the game is designed that every piece of gear you have is essentially equal and your starting gear is not just adequate, but GREAT at going through the whole game, provided you get lucky with world rolls and get some events with reward items that synergize with what you have.
The only piece of starting gear that debatably can't be turned into something crazy with right build is the Repeater Pistol, but even that weapon has its place if you have no other highly accurate handguns and the fight demands it.

Even actual Souls games have issues with many weapons being mediocre and replacable, but Remnant's nuts about making every piece of equipment worth while. Balance patch after balance patch, from release to after all the content had come out.

The game will not let you truly get ahead of it in power curve unless you suddenly find a playstyle that fits you like a glove, the whole equipment upgrade system almost feels unnecessary, seemingly meant to give you a way out if any one specific map/boss is giving you trouble. The Survival mode even gets rid of upgrading and the balance is just fine! But at the very least, on Normal, (and arguably Hard too), very few things are actually ever bulletspongy unless you're actually doing something wrong. The impact of your shots will always remain satisfying.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So I'm playing this on PS5 via PS+ and just moved onto the second world and I kinda like it but at the same time it's kinda... boring in a way?

Like, exploration is basically pointless so far. Earth seemed like the same streets and buildings over and over with the occasional sewer areas which were also the same. Sometimes you could find a ring or trait book off the beaten path but it's mostly just collecting scrap and iron. I assume this just means the game's not really meant for exploration unless later worlds open it up a bit more.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Like, exploration is basically pointless so far. Earth seemed like the same streets and buildings over and over with the occasional sewer areas which were also the same.
The levels are procedurally generated, that's why. It's a bummer, honestly, they said it's meant for "replays" but... what's the point when exploration will continue to be just as boring on replays? Just explore until you have enough loot to your liking/get bored and beeline to the objectives, IMO.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The levels are procedurally generated, that's why. It's a bummer, honestly, they said it's meant for "replays" but... what's the point when exploration will continue to be just as boring on replays? Just explore until you have enough loot to your liking/get bored and beeline to the objectives, IMO.

Ah, well that makes sense now and is pretty disappointing. This game would have been dope if they hand crafted the worlds.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Went into this with a very open mind, not even approaching it as a "Soulslike with guns" (because it's really not), but I'm finding it hard to really enjoy it.

The good:
- Gunplay feels and sounds impactful. Weapons have a decent punch to them, and the leeway for dodge-canceling after taking shots is generous.
- Co-op seems well implemented in general. Very little fuss. Being able to co-op all the way through is appealing.
- I like the little bits of flavour on each piece of gear/item.
- Respawning after death is surprisingly quick (on PS4).

The bad:
- I'm not in any danger of falling in love with the aesthetic. Dingy browns and greys as far as the eye can see...
- Enemy designs and animations, while serviceable, are uninspired.
- The hub area layout is not good. Hard to get your bearings. Vendors are weirdly spaced, seemingly for the sake of it.
- The NPCs so far are bland and forgettable. I don't feel like talking with any of them, and none of them particularly inspire me to learn about the world.

The ugly:
- The fact you can get hit during your "knocked down" animation, coupled with very slow "get up" animation that can't be dodge-cancelled, makes for some very frustrating deaths.
- First boss encounter is too hard. In my mind, bosses (particularly early ones) should typically provide a skillcheck for a major facet of the game, whereas this one throws multiple checks at you at once: Big, aggressive enemy with long reach and ability to combo you to death (check your dodge timing); exploding adds appearing from all angles (check your spatial awareness and movement); not one, but two possible status ailments (check your item knowledge/stock and usage timing). Along with the player damage issues raised above, this can be a very off-putting first boss.
- Ambient sound design/mixing makes everything much more stressful than it should be. Constant groans and shuffling, as if things are always right next to you.
- General pacing is poor. It feels like the game wants you to be constantly on-edge, with no respite or tonal payoff for your endeavours. (Sound design issue above exacerbates this.)

Still, I'll press on for a bit and try some co-op with a buddy (although he doesn't seem too enamoured with it, either). Did anyone with a similar initial experience go on to enjoy it?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, well that makes sense now and is pretty disappointing. This game would have been dope if they hand crafted the worlds.

I don't think it would be, somehow. I mean the worlds are procedural but still a lot of it is hand crafted. It's just a few tiles stitched together in a random order. Everything in each individual tile is hand crafted, and yet it still feels a quite 'off'. I definitely don't think procedural design is a bad approach for games, or this style of game, and I think by using mixed procedural/curated design you can add variety to the game while still feeling hand crafted, this game fails at the latter because the design is just quite dull and careless in places.

If we take the opening area with the city streets for instance, it's just boring simply on account of every corner looking the same. There are only two enemies in the first area initially, and nothing novel to find aside occasionally the games procedural generation will decide to place some loot in a corner. If you compare this to a Souls game, often a good ring will be hidden behind an enemy of note, or a place that's hard to reach.

You could still achieve the benefits of that Souls-like design within a partially randomised system, it would just take more care than this game offers. Of course I don't think you can top a single hand crafted level in a Souls game with procedural design, but the merit of a procedural system is replayability, I just think that there's a lot that could be improved with the procedural design of Remnant from the Ashes.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I've been having a blast playing this with a couple friends. We've beaten a few bosses and are in the sandy realm you get to via the floating tower currently. The only boss that gave us much trouble yet was Riphide (the dividing one) in Leto's lab which we later read was an optional area added/post launch. So we we're probably a bit under geared for that one, but got through it after a bunch of tries.

Only gripe is it can be hard to figure out where to go next. I know that's a thing in Souls-likes, but the level design is more generic here with the procedural generation and more things/places look the same that makes it a bit harder. The map also isn't great since it doesn't show much more than the mini map. Unless we've missed it, there also doesn't seem to be much of a way to fast travel back to campfires beyond the last check point, returning to Ward 13 or maybe jumping to other realms once you open more which makes it tougher to go back and explore more in prior areas.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Went into this with a very open mind, not even approaching it as a "Soulslike with guns" (because it's really not), but I'm finding it hard to really enjoy it.

The good:
- Gunplay feels and sounds impactful. Weapons have a decent punch to them, and the leeway for dodge-canceling after taking shots is generous.
- Co-op seems well implemented in general. Very little fuss. Being able to co-op all the way through is appealing.
- I like the little bits of flavour on each piece of gear/item.
- Respawning after death is surprisingly quick (on PS4).

The bad:
- I'm not in any danger of falling in love with the aesthetic. Dingy browns and greys as far as the eye can see...
- Enemy designs and animations, while serviceable, are uninspired.
- The hub area layout is not good. Hard to get your bearings. Vendors are weirdly spaced, seemingly for the sake of it.
- The NPCs so far are bland and forgettable. I don't feel like talking with any of them, and none of them particularly inspire me to learn about the world.

The ugly:
- The fact you can get hit during your "knocked down" animation, coupled with very slow "get up" animation that can't be dodge-cancelled, makes for some very frustrating deaths.
- First boss encounter is too hard. In my mind, bosses (particularly early ones) should typically provide a skillcheck for a major facet of the game, whereas this one throws multiple checks at you at once: Big, aggressive enemy with long reach and ability to combo you to death (check your dodge timing); exploding adds appearing from all angles (check your spatial awareness and movement); not one, but two possible status ailments (check your item knowledge/stock and usage timing). Along with the player damage issues raised above, this can be a very off-putting first boss.
- Ambient sound design/mixing makes everything much more stressful than it should be. Constant groans and shuffling, as if things are always right next to you.
- General pacing is poor. It feels like the game wants you to be constantly on-edge, with no respite or tonal payoff for your endeavours. (Sound design issue above exacerbates this.)

Still, I'll press on for a bit and try some co-op with a buddy (although he doesn't seem too enamoured with it, either). Did anyone with a similar initial experience go on to enjoy it?
Disagree on enemy design. Enemy variety, aesthetic design and behavior are great in my eyes and one of the biggest strenghts of the game. Pair regular enemies with a fair amount of unique bosses and you have an excellent cast of cool monsters to fight over the entirety of the game and beyond.
Agree on your critic about the first boss, it's too hard and demands too much from the player in this early stage.

Judging by your post you seem to be still in the first world.
Every world is a unique biome, the first one is the blandest overall (i quite liked it though).

The lore and story isn't presented in an interesting way, but imo the game is a great example for a "gameplay first" case.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Disagree on enemy design. Enemy variety, aesthetic design and behavior are great in my eyes and one of the biggest strenghts of the game. Pair regular enemies with a fair amount of unique bosses and you have an excellent cast of cool monsters to fight over the entirety of the game and beyond.
Agree on your critic about the first boss, it's too hard and demands too much from the player in this early stage.

Judging by your post you seem to be still in the first world.
Every world is a unique biome, the first one is the blandest overall (i quite liked it though).

The lore and story isn't presented in an interesting way, but imo the game is a great example for a "gameplay first" case.
I am indeed still in the first world (just waiting on my friend for co-op).
Probably too early to write the game off - I just needed to vent some of these initial frustrations.

Good to know that the biomes are varied as you go, and I look forward to changing my mind on the enemy design!
I will say that the silhouettes and sounds they make are easily distinguishable, so you're taught early on what to watch out for.

"Gameplay first" definitely shows, and that's fine. The gameplay itself is actually pretty solid.
I just hope I can overcome some of these combat niggles as I progress (like the lack of a "safe get up" option, getting stun-locked, imprecise dodge-roll direction, etc.).

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i think the game has some pretty good lore if you look for it

for example, in the very first area you go to after leaving ward 13, the founder's hideout, you find a key that opens the basement of ward 13. if you use that key, you can get a lot of backstory by going through the computers in the ward 13 basement levels

also, some of the levels you go through will also sometimes have lore notes or diaries in them, though this seems to become more rare in later areas compared to the first world

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm loving this. Just jumping into random co-op and seeing what comes up is great and very addictive. I like that everything is procedural and remixed for that Diablo feel so you're jumping into games and not feeling like you're doing the same levels over and over. My friend is going through the campaign as well and we can play in each other's campaign and it's very different. Gorefist is pure bullshit but the rest of the bosses are pretty awesome. I've had lots of really great boss fights so far.

But this game doesn't pull any punches. Stumbled into a game late at night doing The Risen event. What the hell? After so many futile attempts, only my stubbornness prevented me from dropping off and then we finally cracked it. Had to record it for posterity:

Right, yeah, the scaling is abit of a downer surprise to everybody. Whenever I play the game, I tend to just keep my equipment levels at a bare minimum, and only crank them up when the advanced stat screen shows a red arrow (meaning that I'm underleveled for the current area's minimum level)

But there is something you might be misunderstanding a bit, or perhaps I'm reading bit too much into it.

You might have nice fancy weapons, but the game is designed that every piece of gear you have is essentially equal and your starting gear is not just adequate, but GREAT at going through the whole game, provided you get lucky with world rolls and get some events with reward items that synergize with what you have.
The only piece of starting gear that debatably can't be turned into something crazy with right build is the Repeater Pistol, but even that weapon has its place if you have no other highly accurate handguns and the fight demands it.

Even actual Souls games have issues with many weapons being mediocre and replacable, but Remnant's nuts about making every piece of equipment worth while. Balance patch after balance patch, from release to after all the content had come out.

The game will not let you truly get ahead of it in power curve unless you suddenly find a playstyle that fits you like a glove, the whole equipment upgrade system almost feels unnecessary, seemingly meant to give you a way out if any one specific map/boss is giving you trouble. The Survival mode even gets rid of upgrading and the balance is just fine! But at the very least, on Normal, (and arguably Hard too), very few things are actually ever bulletspongy unless you're actually doing something wrong. The impact of your shots will always remain satisfying.

Dunno my Eye of the Storm feels a fair bit fancier than the hunting rifle I started with :). But, yeah, I see that weapons seem to be balanced horizontally. I'm kind of wrecking early bosses now so I guess there is some progression happening due to traits and other stuff.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Dunno my Eye of the Storm feels a fair bit fancier than the hunting rifle I started with :). But, yeah, I see that weapons seem to be balanced horizontally. I'm kind of wrecking early bosses now so I guess there is some progression happening due to traits and other stuff.
Right, there are cool boss weapons that excel at a specific task, but even Eye of the Storm vs Hunting Rifle is not just a straight improvement because that flexible mod slot is valuable. It is part of why I rarely use Eye of the Storm in Survival, because even though I like some of the lightning/explosion-focused shenanigans I can pull off, Hunting Rifle is good bit more accurate and almost the ultimate jack-of-all-trades gun.

There's a boss weapon SMG that has the same deal. Better raw power than regular SMG, but maybe you don't want a short range flamethrower mod. It's a common trade-off, and the regular sniper rifle is probably the best weapon in the game (particularly if you're a headshot monster like YeetsMeMario and his crazy 8+ hour long Survival runs).

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I like that everything is procedural and remixed for that Diablo feel so you're jumping into games and not feeling like you're doing the same levels over and over.
I know this is a common refrain but I don't understand this. The procedural generation means every level is very generic and uninteresting. The layout of the map changing somewhat doesn't alter the experience much, if at all. Honestly, redoing maps I never felt like I was experiencing anything new.

I would rather have intricate level design instead.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
After beating the second world I'm starting to warm up to the game a bit more. I feel like that first world is rather bland and ugly and doesn't do the game any favors and make a good first impression.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
After beating the second world I'm starting to warm up to the game a bit more. I feel like that first world is rather bland and ugly and doesn't do the game any favors and make a good first impression.

Hmm. I was the opposite.

I was intrigued by the game in the first world, started to like it less by the second, and was completely turned off by the third.

I know this is a common refrain but I don't understand this. The procedural generation means every level is very generic and uninteresting. The layout of the map changing somewhat doesn't alter the experience much, if at all. Honestly, redoing maps I never felt like I was experiencing anything new. I would rather have intricate level design instead.

Agreed for the most part.

I like procedural generation in some games, but some times it only serves to create samey and boring environments. This game is one of the worst examples I've come across, to the point where the procedural generation barely made an impact as everything looks the same anyway. It feels like the pieces used to make the levels are so flat and dull. GungJoe might be right here, if the tiles themselves were more interesting and varied I might like the random levels more.

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing solo and wasn't feeling this by the time I got to Rhom.

I don't ever online game but decided to jump into some random games and holy shit that's where this game came together.

I love it now, even playing solo again but that's because I have 2 good weapons leveled up I enjoy playing with. Even bought the 2 DLCs on sale.

Hope they get a bigger budget and do a second.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a common refrain but I don't understand this. The procedural generation means every level is very generic and uninteresting. The layout of the map changing somewhat doesn't alter the experience much, if at all. Honestly, redoing maps I never felt like I was experiencing anything new.

I would rather have intricate level design instead.

Maybe it doesn't provide much visually since, yes, the tiles do look mostly the same but it definitely changes the experience. Just from running through my campaign and my friend's: he got Shroud boss while I got Gorefist (!), I got Cut Throat Alley and the encounter that happens there and he didn't. I had Claviger boss in mine and in his we fought Harrow. My hard campaign had an NPC in the sewers selling stuff that's not in my new campaign at all or his. That's not even mentioning the different items we picked up in each. I've gone into multiplayer campaigns and seen stuff that's not in either of ours.

If these were Souls-style handcrafted levels then they would have been cool to explore the first time but after that we would know exactly where everything is and what boss is coming up when.

I guess it depends what you are after. If you want that Souls-style exploration experience then I can see it might not provide it but if you're looking for levels that stay somewhat interesting mechnically on repeat runs and still provide a feeling of 'what's around the next corner?' then I think this is better personally even if maybe they could have tried to mix things up more visually. The City map does look quite off-putting visually with is maze of drab building interiors and cut-and-paste sewers.

Right, there are cool boss weapons that excel at a specific task, but even Eye of the Storm vs Hunting Rifle is not just a straight improvement because that flexible mod slot is valuable. It is part of why I rarely use Eye of the Storm in Survival, because even though I like some of the lightning/explosion-focused shenanigans I can pull off, Hunting Rifle is good bit more accurate and almost the ultimate jack-of-all-trades gun.

There's a boss weapon SMG that has the same deal. Better raw power than regular SMG, but maybe you don't want a short range flamethrower mod. It's a common trade-off, and the regular sniper rifle is probably the best weapon in the game (particularly if you're a headshot monster like YeetsMeMario and his crazy 8+ hour long Survival runs).

Yeah I can see that having flexibility on the second mod slot is a big bonus. Well good to know the trusty hunting rifle stays relevant ha ha.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Just beat it earlier tonight and enjoyed myself for the most part. I did everything 100% solo which is probably not recommended but since everything scales it wasn't too bad. Some annoying bosses but nothing as difficult as you would find in the Souls series. I will say most bosses having the gimmick of throwing adds at you all the time was lame and got old fast. To me that's just a cheap way to make it more difficult instead of crafting a unique boss that's just challenging in its own right.

I think the worst part going solo is just the amount of enemies this game throws at you during a lot of encounters. It's just relentless sometimes and turns the game into mini horde mode segments. However, the more I played the more the game gave me PSO vibes in a way. I mean, it's obviously heavily influenced by Dark Souls (an emote you get when beating the game is called "Praise the Guns") but the way each world is set up, vastly different biomes, tons of enemies, looting, online coop, etc. definitely reminded me of PSO structure.

Still, even though I liked it enough to beat it, I don't think I am going to reroll my campaign and do it all over again. Sure, there's different bosses, loot, and quests but I don't feel all that compelled to see them. I also didn't buy any DLC, does anyone know if they are worth it? Maybe I'll spend a few hours and join some coop rooms just to see how it is since all my time was solo thus far.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I also didn't buy any DLC, does anyone know if they are worth it? Maybe I'll spend a few hours and join some coop rooms just to see how it is since all my time was solo thus far.
They are, but with their own conditions.

Subject 2923 is a straight story continuation and adds ~1.3 worlds of content, with WAY better and meaningful final boss. It's more consistently good quality too, so if you enjoyed the base game experience, you'll enjoy this too. I bought the base game at 40€, so this expansion at base price of 10€ was absolutely worth it for me.

Swamps of Corsus is worth it if you enjoy the core combat of Remnant over any other aspect, and want to just have some "quick"* roguelike sessions with it in the added Survival mode. It also has the most elaborate bossfight in the game tucked away in the swamp planet's Adventure Mode.

*tends to last good 1-2 hours per run for me

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So I tried co-op with my friend and he peaced out hard after immediately dying to the first big enemy we come across.
For some reason it bothered me how he gave the game even less of a chance than I did at first, so now I'm in half a mind to play some more and find the fun lol

Maybe I'll try some co-op with randos and see what happens.
I still don't love the game, but there's something about it that I want to like.

Aug 4, 2020
Enjoyed the game so much I bought the DLCs to finish the story. The Subject 2923 final boss is way better then the base game. Also get some sweet weapons from him.

Swamp DLC is fun with survival mode but if you had to pick one than pick the Subject 2923.