Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
who gives a shit what those lames co opt?

yall give them too much power really.

idiots have been using media as an excuse for their shit behavior forever. You start changing things to prevent this and they only feel more emboldened if anything.

Who said anything about changing this film? I just found it hilarious that people could be so naive. Idgaf beyond that

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The movie looked boring in the trailers but that leaked clip was very good. A little bummed if that's the most shocking scene in the movie, but Phoenix's performance was good enough I'll catch this in the theaters.

If he's honest with himself? Probably happy to see someone succeed. He's a pretty damn talented actor himself with an Academy Award that should be able to know what went wrong with SS and his Joker (a lot of it that horrific script) and the direction they took that character.

Jered Leto runs a cult, so I'd imagine he'd be pretty pissed to be upstaged this quickly.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I don't want to dismiss negative reviews but a lot of these negative reviews are not coming across like they were made in good faith. They come off like people who had their mind made up and are serving an agenda. This is bad film criticism.

But the fact the film doing that and is so polarizing makes me want to se it even more. This wait is unbearable.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the film glorifies Joker turning from man with mental illness to serial killer (which I doubt considering the director is a Scorsese disciple)... them identifying with a mass-murderer dressed as a clown isn't gonna win a lot of people to their cause.
How does Todd Phillips get classified as a "Scorsese disciple"? Because he's inspired by his films?

I guess that make Zack Snyder an Alan Moore and Frank Miller disciple despite walking away with shallow and skewed interpretations of what their works were trying to say.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Just about 10% of the negative reviews call the movie quality and acting bad. The remainder 90% negative reviews rate it bad because it's too disturbing , says it will inspire bad folks or that it's not the joker version they like while calling the movie itself well made and acted

that shows this is a masterpiece

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just about 10% of the negative reviews call the movie quality and acting bad. The remainder 90% negative reviews rate it bad because it's too disturbing , says it will inspire bad folks or that it's not the joker version they like while calling the movie itself well made and acted

Yeah it's pretty clear that the cinematography, acting, and score are on-point. Anyone who says that the movie has no redeeming qualities clearly has an agenda.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really super familiar with RT, who are "Top Critics"? Who gets that label, what is the qualification? Are they international critics, or mainly from the US?

I believe it works like this:

To become a Top Critic, you first have to be a professional film critic at an outlet invited to join RT. Then, you have to establish a history of several years working at prominent outlets with significant readership/viewership, and be considered by the public, peers, and (especially) RT to be influential and providing high quality film reviews. In other words, be a well known critic who writes impressive reviews at a well-known outlet for a long period of time.

RT makes pretty good choices about who to select as a Top Critic, and when to remove someone from that category. They have a high standard and they apply it judiciously, and that's why I think that the Top Critics ratings on the Tomatometer tend to be pretty reliable and a far better measurement for users who want to quickly see what the common opinion of a movie is among reviewers.

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-...atoes_b_59ee3a6fe4b036b5fdb9e5e9?guccounter=1

Dec 31, 2017
This has actually made me scrutinize rotten tomatoes a bit more as the split in reviews is really interesting.

How is a "3/5" tallied into the "rotten" review category?

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does Todd Phillips get classified as a "Scorsese disciple"? Because he's inspired by his films?

I guess that make Zack Snyder an Alan Moore and Frank Miller disciple despite walking away with shallow and skewed interpretations of what their works were trying to say.

Phillips conceived Joker in 2016 and wrote the script with Silver throughout 2017. The two were inspired by 1970s character studies and the works of Martin Scorsese (who was attached to produce early in production
from Wiki.

Unless that's made up, and all of Philips effusive praise for Scorsese and his works is too... this is definitely nothing comparable to Zack Snyder and whatever he got from Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's pretty clear that the cinematography, acting, and score are on-point. Anyone who says that the movie has no redeeming qualities clearly has an agenda.
There was that one review that read like Phoenix had run over her dog at some point in life.
Lmao

I'm honestly hype to see this movie and will go opening weekend but I think I just got a bingo

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of gamer is this Joker?

f8e.jpg

Jesus Christ

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
from Wiki.

Unless that's made up, and all of Philips effusive praise for Scorsese and his works is too... this is definitely nothing comparable to Zack Snyder and whatever he got from Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
I'm not sure what that wiki quote is supposed to add.

They are fans of Scorsese just as Snyder was a fan of Alan Moore. Doesn't mean they can execute with the same nuance or that they have more than a surface level understanding of the works they are inspired by. And it certainly doesn't make someone a like-minded "disciple".

As a matter of fact, if anything, them trying yo get Scorsese attached as a producer and him eventually declining has me thinking he wasn't passionate about their project despite it being a love letter to his films. It was a move to get clout and credibility and not look like they are ripping off his work and regardless of how genuine they actually were, at the end of the day Scorsese didn't give his endorsement by producing it. Maybe he still supports the project, I have no clue, but they tried to look like official disciples and were turned down.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I trust Zazie over every one of you, sorry not sorry.

Can't wait to see it.
Yup, that makes perfect sense and I haven't even seen it yet. People should have sympathy for his circumstances, it's entirely possible without condoning the actions those circumstances lead to in the film. He wasn't born as the Joker, there's a whole lot of history of struggles in him.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I would really intrigued if this Joker does indeed tie into the next Batman movie asThomas Wayne is in the Joker movie.

Last edited: