Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like this will be a movie that most critics love A TON and a small but not insignificant group of critics find boring/empty. More than good enough for me!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Professional Reviewers who review the movie outside it's quality and grade it low because they think it will inspire incels to kill are on the forever ignore list as they showcase they don't review the movie but make social commentary and apply it to every movie they have ever seen. They might be even influenced then if they like or dislike a director or a cast member
Sounds like you think "quality" is some objective scale and people are somehow being unfair by having aspects weighed more heavily in their subjective experience of a film than you would like.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Better than it continuing on as it has been (IE completely ignored and/or misunderstood).

Hell, the isolation that comes from mental illness can itself be the springboard into violent tendencies (maybe this movie touches on that?).
I am no fan of the patronizing way mental illness has been treated in Hollywood.

But that doesn't mean I'm happy with pop culture's point of reference for mental illness being a fucking comic book villain.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Sounds like you think "quality" is some objective scale and people are somehow being unfair by having aspects weighed more heavily in their subjective experience of a film than you would like.

Some reviews literally say movie was tight. Well edited. Amazing acting but too disturbing or the movie is proof society is bad 2/5

they are not reviewing the movie, the are judging it's impact or potential impact on social commentary

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

Some reviews literally say movie was tight. Well edited. Amazing acting but too disturbing or the movie is proof society is bad 2/5

they are not reviewing the movie, the are judging it's impact or potential impact on social commentary

The effect the movie is having on these critics is probably more facisnating that the movie itself. And to think most of these critics would consider themselves to be leftists or progressives. They are placing blame on the wrong thing and just validating right wing talking points.

Oct 27, 2017

If some outside context affects your experience viewing the movie then you write about it. That's the job of a reviewer in my opinion, to write their experience.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RT Scores at the moment.

• All Critics: 81%
  • Average Rating: 8.44/10
  • Total Count: 59
  • Fresh: 48
  • Rotten: 11

• Top Critics: 38%
  • Average Rating: 7.2/10
  • Total Count: 13
  • Fresh: 5
  • Rotten: 8

Quite the split.
Can't wait for the organized harassment campaigns./s You know they're coming with a comic book movie.

How does Rotten Tomatoes' Top Critics thing function anyway? Always perplexed me.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
re: all the talk about whether it's okay to judge a movie on possible "moral" reasons hey atleast this movie wasn't directed by Craig Zahler

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
RT Scores at the moment.

• All Critics: 81%
  • Average Rating: 8.44/10
  • Total Count: 59
  • Fresh: 48
  • Rotten: 11

• Top Critics: 38%
  • Average Rating: 7.2/10
  • Total Count: 13
  • Fresh: 5
  • Rotten: 8

Quite the split.
I'm not really super familiar with RT, who are "Top Critics"? Who gets that label, what is the qualification? Are they international critics, or mainly from the US?

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
What is the difference between a Top Critic and a regular Critic?

I'm not really super familiar with RT, who are "Top Critics"? Who gets that label, what is the qualification? Are they international critics, or mainly from the US?

From my understanding, top critics tend to be either long term voices, especially at one particular publication (like Ehrlich or Zacharek ) or are considered a top tier great voice/writer (like a David Jenkins). Also seems pretty focused on US/UK publications

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Damn, even with spoilers I kinda want to read that review. If someone who is reasonable person and not some nerd hating on Star Wars or Brie Larson, hates a film, I want to know why. Though "being a disgrace to DC comics" comment kinda throws me off.
Edit: Ummm is that the right link?
Edit 2: Found the review, but she didn't really say anything other than "I hated it because it was bad". Except that the character shouldn't be portrayed in a manner that asks sympathy for him from the audience. She doesn't say why, other than it haven't been done in earlier portrayals. I vehemently disagree with that point, I can feel empathy for Arthur while not condoning what Joker does. And what has happened in earlier tellings for Joker has no bearing on this, it's not connected to those other stories. She also seemed bothered that there's no FUN in the film, does there need to be?
From my understanding, top critics tend to be either long term voices, especially at one particular publication (like Ehrlich or Zacharek ) or are considered a top tier great voice/writer (like a David Jenkins). Also seems pretty focused on US/UK publications
Ah alright, thanks! I haven't heard a lot of good about Ehrlich though. Never read him myself, so can't make a judgement.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Professional Reviewers who review the movie outside it's quality and grade it low because they think it will inspire incels to kill are on the forever ignore list as they showcase they don't review the movie but make social commentary and apply it to every movie they have ever seen. They might be even influenced then if they like or dislike a director or a cast member
Well....

If you really believe they are concerned about people dying as you claim then their priorities are way better than your pigheadedness.

*shrugs* :/

Sep 17, 2018
Carla Renata The Curvy Film Critic
September 10, 2019
Todd Phillips directs violently bonkers, disturbing reimagined, reinvigorated version of one of DC Comics favorite villains with batshit, crazy , genius performance from Joaquin Phoenix. TAlso starring Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy and Shea Whigham
Full Review

Rubin Safaya Cinemalogue
September 10, 2019
JOKER-a middlebrow impression of highbrow-has a moral compass, and it's pointed in the wrong direction.
Full Review

Top Critic Times (UK) Staff Times (UK)
September 10, 2019
Phoenix, febrile and wiry (he lost three stone for the part), is the focus of all attention and delivers a performance (an easy Best Actor Oscar nomination, if not a win) that sparks, like alternating current, in and out of sympathy.
Full Review | Original Score: 5/5

Top Critic Sara Stewart New York Post
September 10, 2019
It's ... well, not bad.
Full Review

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Assuming you mean a narrow slice of critics that say the film is great but hate it for reasons outside the movie, but I'd believe it more often that outside of the cinematography, music, and acting, (which have seemingly gotten universal praise) there are plenty of criticisms that fall on direction and the writing, whether gripes are specifically because of how people feel it handles its subject matter or whether it has them walking away saying its shallow and doesn't say anything of substance about its more provocative elements.

The reviewer just quoted even says in her twitter thread that while she personally doesn't feel the movie takes things far enough to be problematic, she recognizes that others will likely disagree.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this movie doesn't end up with the people that hate it getting really annoyed that most people like it because that always gets tiring real quick.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the organized harassment campaigns./s You know they're coming with a comic book movie.

How does Rotten Tomatoes' Top Critics thing function anyway? Always perplexed me.

Trades and more well known sites

It doesn't matter. They're all fucking nerds that write about movies for a living.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The good old days when Era was shitting on this last year when the makeup was revealed. Glad it's sounding as good as I thought it looked from the teaser months ago.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the movie is already causing conversations about alt-right, incels, and mental illness (amongst other things). Hopefully these conversations continue and don't get dominated by those supporting the shitheels and those demonizing the mentally ill.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm wondering how the harassment campaigns will go.

I'd assume the alt-right nutballs will identify with a man that becomes a serial killer and harass any critics of the film, instead of understanding the character study and why what happens, happens.

Regardless, I wanna see it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seems like the movie is already causing conversations about alt-right, incels, and mental illness (amongst other things). Hopefully these conversations continue and don't get dominated by those supporting the shitheels and those demonizing the mentally ill.
Yeah it's great that it's causing conversation, the topics are important too. But I don't think the discussion is on the right track yet. Maybe it's a flaw with the film, can't say before I see it. But I have an inkling it's more an issue with Twitter and those who use it, to air their reactive takes.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Now I feel like I'm gonna watch this movie and come out thinking, "That's it? That's what all the fuss was about?"

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hilarious that people couldnt fathom or understand this movie being co opted by the Alt right. This is them to a fucking T lmao

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's great that it's causing conversation, the topics are important too. But I don't think the discussion is on the right track yet. Maybe it's a flaw with the film, can't say before I see it.

Yea, it's for sure a worry to have. You don't want art to create a negative force. I hope that it creates more positive than negative. I hope a lot really smart articles discussing these issues come out, even unrelated to the movie specifically. I hope it indirectly inspires more people to speak up.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
So is the hater crowd 50% "Think of the children!", 50% "Not my Joker!" ?

I'm hesitant to dig too deeply into reviews because of spoilers.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious that people couldnt fathom or understand this movie being co opted by the Alt right. This is them to a fucking T lmao

Unless the film glorifies Joker turning from man with mental illness to serial killer (which I doubt considering the director is a Scorsese disciple)... them identifying with a mass-murderer dressed as a clown isn't gonna win a lot of people to their cause.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
who gives a shit what those lames co opt?

yall give them too much power really.

idiots have been using media as an excuse for their shit behavior forever. You start changing things to prevent this and they only feel more emboldened if anything.