• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this! Could you describe a little more what you did here. So your CMOS battery in your PS3 is dead. You then started the system, but did not connect online. And then a game was able to start. Was this a physical game or a already pre-installed digital game?
Yes first started the PS3 without an internet connection and also "turned off" auto sign in. Tried to start a PS3 digital game I own (no PS plus game) and wasn't able to start.
Connected the ethernet cable and only set the time via the internet but didn't log into my account. After doing this I disconnected the ethernet cable again but was still able to start my game.
So it seems you only need to synchronise the time on PS3 rather than log into your account to start digital games when your CMOS is dead!

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't find it on the PS Now website list :/

I just searched

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Centinaia di giochi da scaricare e giocare, vecchi classici PlayStation, versioni di prova e molto altro

Unisciti a PlayStation Plus con un piano di abbonamento Essential, Extra o Premium per ottenere centinaia di giochi PS4 e PS5, multigiocatore online, titoli dal Catalogo dei classici, sconti esclusivi e molto altro ancora.

Yeah, they removed it.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
360 wont be cut from the xbox network any time soon with games being bc and the "less than 50%" figure is when you consider a whole bunch of micro titles from live arcade days which just is disingenuous, its like saying pc lost 20% of their library as well when all shitty flash indie games from sites you never heard of stopped being compatible and werent saved by that big flash dump someone made.

And pc would be the best one in this regard if people actually used GOG instead, but no, everyone uses steam and they still have their DRM and "infinitely small chance which is not even worth discussing but since you're mentioning it for others" chance of cutting you off from your digital purchases

I don't think it's disingenuous when it's being discussed in the context of the idea of a digital library lasting forever. For that idea to be truly realised you don't start cutting games out of that library with "this one doesn't count because..." arguments. It isn't just small games though, titles like Project Gothem Racing are still locked to original hardware.

I don't think BC being supported guarantees anything about original hardware support, and they could - for example - easily put a compatibility layer for network communications in their emulator to remove BC titles dependence on what may be legacy infrastructure (something far easier to do in software than it would be to retrofit support into original hardware). I'm sure I read they were wanting to do that for Xbox 1 BC titles to bring back their multiplayer. Microsoft have hardware and service support lifecycles just like every company, they aren't in the business of supporting things indefinitely.

The point I was making about DRM free is that those options exist right now on PC if you truly do care about the idea of your digital games being in your control, but as you say most people prefer the convenience of Steam and have faith in the idea that Valve and Steam are not going anywhere any time soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm hoping Xbox buying studios and publishers and pushing BC gives them a massive collection of games and Sony starts to panic

An easy way for Sony to bolster the number of games they are offering is to go back to BC, which is cheaper than making acquisitions

Even if they just dumped as many PS1/PS2 games as possible onto PSN that would be seen as a massive plus

I know they have streaming options but I want to be able to download games at least, even if they're on a Game Pass like service

If the PS6 launches with just PS4 and PS5 games being BC, and the Series X2 launches with games spanning generations dating from 2001 - 2027, then I may just go all in on Xbox and have a PS6 as a companion console (so the opposite of what I'm doing this gen)
They could even have more value for PS Plus if they decide to do this. Adding games like Resistance 3, Metal Gear Solid and stuff along with the current games they give could boost the value without doing much.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Plugged in my super slim PS3 and it's all still there, thankfully. Seems like EU PSN is having a time though.

Made this list of US games I need to get after they confirm this (and/or detail future plans). I've got most of the essentials besides 'em -
  • Devil Summoner 2
  • Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
  • Klonoa
  • Dino Crisis
  • All of the Arc the Lad games (?)
  • Street Fighter Alpha Series (if they have modes missing from the recent modern collection)
  • Soviet Strike
Anyone know if there are any issues with any of them, emulation-wise?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought of something else, how does this work for PS4/Vita cross buy games?

If I own the PS4 game will I lose the Vita version now?

What if I buy a cross buy game after July, I just get the PS4 version and not the Vita version?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Wow if its really in a few months thats terrible. Nintendo gave a very long warning.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I just searched

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Centinaia di giochi da scaricare e giocare, vecchi classici PlayStation, versioni di prova e molto altro

Unisciti a PlayStation Plus con un piano di abbonamento Essential, Extra o Premium per ottenere centinaia di giochi PS4 e PS5, multigiocatore online, titoli dal Catalogo dei classici, sconti esclusivi e molto altro ancora.

Yeah, they removed it.

And Tales games like Xilia or Graces F are not on PS Now (and PC afaik) either. MGS will not be playable either. This sucks so much. If PS Now is their "legacy" service, it doesn't bode well for the future.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Plugged in my super slim PS3 and it's all still there, thankfully. Seems like EU PSN is having a time though.

Made this list of US games I need to get after they confirm this (and/or detail future plans). I've got most of the essentials besides 'em -
  • Devil Summoner 2
  • Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
  • Klonoa
  • Dino Crisis
  • All of the Arc the Lad games (?)
  • Street Fighter Alpha Series (if they have modes missing from the recent modern collection)
  • Soviet Strike
Anyone know if there are any issues with any of them, emulation-wise?
I've heard the SMT games run slightly slow, but I haven't tested them myself.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Are you being serious? Dude you quoted me talking about people's claims on this forum pre ps5 of it likely supporting ps1, 2, 3 and vita bc.....

Is it crack cocaine or something?

you said this:

I'll believe it when I see it because people were SURE that ps5 was gonna have bc back to ps3 minimum but some were expecting back to ps1.

to which I quoted you asking who are/were these people and where were they voicing these expectations, because, largely, most people I came across on Era knew PS3 was a pipe dream due to Cell

then you replied asking me about excuses for PS1 or PS2

to which I said, I don't know why you're asking me that. I was only addressing your claims about people expecting PS3 at minimum, which didn't match up with what I saw on here at all. I wasn't justifying nor excusing anything. Why the hell do I have to present excuses for the lack of PS1 or PS2 BC?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Is it crack cocaine or something?

you said this:

to which I quoted you asking who are/were these people and where were they voicing these expectations, because, largely, most people I came across on Era knew PS3 was a pipe dream due to Cell

then you replied asking me about excuses for PS1 or PS2

to which I said, I don't know why you're asking me that. I was only addressing your claims about people expecting PS3 at minimum, which didn't match up with what I saw on here at all. I wasn't justifying nor excusing anything. Why the hell do I have to present excuses for the lack of PS1 or PS2 BC?

Cell emulation on a software level is only a pipe dream if it's not a priority. And for Jim it never has been or was going to be. If you think software engineers at sony couldn't have developed a software emulation solution for ps3 with enough time and effort your crazy. Legacy in terms of bc is never gonna be a focus for him.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
This is some shit.

I knew they would eventually do it, but the way they are doing it and how they are treating their legacy (and our purchases) is fucking bullshit. Between this and other things, i'm seriously regreting purchasing the ps5 and their previous consoles.

Lets hope that they give us enough time to do backups and shit at least (i already did the moment the web store stopped working, but will check it again, just in case), not that it means much if it is going to evaporate with the cmos battery.

I use SD2VITA and download games off the store no issues.

As long as you don't pirate, you have nothing to worry about.
Do you use cartridge backups with the sd2vita? Any problem with those?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how many games and how large the patches were, from what I recall small ones are stored in cache and larger ones as title updates with the former being the problem. Back in the day I tried to get the patches for all of my games onto the hard drive at once before a house move where I'd be without internet for a while, and by the time I had reached double digits if I put the first game back in the patch would need to be downloaded again. Nothing I could do would let me keep all the patches because they weren't accessible, so I had to resort to putting some of the patches onto a 64mb memory card instead (remember those things?)

Wait, so if you couldn't access it, then how were you putting the patches on a memory card?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The cynic in me thinks this is why they are giving a load of games away now

To distract from the fact they are killing these stores lol

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Cell emulation on a software level is only a pipe dream if it's not a priority. And for Jim it never has been or was going to be. If you think software engineers at sony couldn't have developed a software emulation solution for ps3 with enough time and effort your crazy. Legacy in terms of bc is never gonna be a focus for him.

Ah. I see you're the type to talk about A and when questioned you find a highway for B and run with it as if your life depended on it.

either way, I hope people's wishes in regards to BC are fulfilled.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I just got a NTSC phat last summer to mess around with 480p support on my old Panny EDTV plasma and I've been doing a bit of dabbling and collecting.

This news just made me consider panic buying a load of digital and physical titles. Then I realised I'd end up with a load of titles I'll never actually play.

I don't know how collectors have enough time to play so many games, 2020 is literally drowning in titles past and present. I implore everyone to buy titles your actually interested in. I've been playing hours on the PS3 over lockdown and all I've played is GT6 with a City Pop custom soundtrack and Luftrausers! Wasted about 60 quid on PS1 & PS2 classics I'll likely never play.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Is there even a way to browse/buy Vita games on the web any more?
Yes but you have to follow a specific url depending on which region you are on here's a guide on how to access the old PSN store and your old download list (the new download list only has PS4/PS5 games listed):

How to Access the Old PS Store (PS3, PS4, Vita & PSP)

UPDATE: Sony just shut access to the legacy web store, in any shape or form. It’s over, folks. Time to lock the thread again. R.I.P. Legacy PS S...

Amedo310

Nov 15, 2017
I would love to be wrong about this, so please, somebody, correct me, but my understanding is once your battery dies, you can no longer login to PSN. If you can't login to PSN, you can't download past purchases. Those batteries have an expected lifespan of 8-10 years, so most PS3s out there are on the cusp of a dead battery. At some point, it just doesn't make any sense for Sony to leave those games up if only refurbished consoles can access them.

I had to changed the cmos battery in each of my four ps4s because of this. The games just would not start unless I logged on to psn during each play session or when I finally changed the battery.

Last edited:

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I had to changed cmos battery in all of my ps4s because of this. The games just would not start unless I logged on or finally change the battery.

Sorry just to clarify without going through 28 pages. You can still play games on PS3 and 4 when the cmos battery is dead, as long as the servers are still up?

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
You can literally play some PS3 games on a PS4 pro running linux and ps4 pros cpu is ass. Some games even at full speed!
Like its surprising how many people still think its impossible to incorporate a BC solution for PS3 games.
Emulating Cell is hard but not impossible. if a small group can do it so can sony.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I like this Jim Ryan guy. Pretty clueless opinion coming from someone in video games.
He's a classic businessman. Focus on the next quarter, etc.

This is why gaming, the industry, definitely needs organizations with publisher and platform holder backing to preserve its history. Right now it's tiny disparate groups.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I like this Jim Ryan guy. Pretty clueless opinion coming from someone in video games.
Now you see why people were pilling on this guy hoping he got removed (myself included) over at this thread:

www.resetera.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment gets multiple leadership changes News

https://www.sie.com/en/blog/sony-interactive-entertainment-announces-new-engineering-and-finance-leadership/ No, Jim Ryan did not get kicked off. To summarize the interesting changes (also some financial related changes but I dont think people here will care): The following appointments will...

The guy has made some unsavory commets towards backwards compatibility and legacy content in the past and SIE has certainly been making strides towards bringing his "vision" into reality.

Last edited:

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry just to clarify without going through 28 pages. You can still play games on PS3 and 4 when the cmos battery is dead, as long as the servers are still up?
On PS3, you can play the games once your battery is dead, but you cannot re-download past purchases.
On PS4, once your battery is dead, you cannot play any games, neither disc nor digital.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That lame ass Jim Ryan still has his mindless fans though.

I honest to god cannot stand current Sony. All of the fun is gone.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I just got a NTSC phat last summer to mess around with 480p support on my old Panny EDTV plasma and I've been doing a bit of dabbling and collecting.

This news just made me consider panic buying a load of digital and physical titles. Then I realised I'd end up with a load of titles I'll never actually play.

I don't know how collectors have enough time to play so many games, 2020 is literally drowning in titles past and present. I implore everyone to buy titles your actually interested in. I've been playing hours on the PS3 and all I've played is GT6 with a City Pop soundtrack and Luftrausers!
Collectors don't play all their games all the time. I play games at launch, then there's a hand full per year that I consider important enough to keep forever, and I revisit them every 5 or 10 years, or when something changed in the industry that merit revisiting classics. It's not about replaying all games continuously, it's about seeing how they either didn't age well, or are worth revisiting. Many are not that popular, and forgotten, and some become inspiration for other game designers. Film, music, books, collections are the same. They are the product of their time.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how collectors have enough time to play so many games, 2020 is literally drowning in titles past and present. I implore everyone to buy titles your actually interested in. I've been playing hours on the PS3 over lockdown and all I've played is GT6 with a City Pop custom soundtrack and Luftrausers! Wasted about 60 quid on PS1 & PS2 classics I'll likely never play.

Collectors don't play all their games all the time. I play games at launch, then there's a hand full per year that I consider important enough to keep forever, and I revisit them every 5 or 10 years, or when something changed in the industry that merit revisiting classics. It's not about replaying all games continuously, it's about seeing how they either didn't age well, or are worth revisiting. Many are not that popular, and forgotten, and some become inspiration for other game designers. Film, music, books, collections are the same. They are the product of their time.

Or seeing where modern devs are cutting corners, making stupid mistakes or making bad design decisions when other devs in the past were able to do more with less.

Keeping track of history is essential for growth.
It's not a mindless force that keeps happening. It builds on the successes AND failures of the past.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Now you see why people were pilling on this guy hoping he got removed (myself included) over at this thread:

www.resetera.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment gets multiple leadership changes News

https://www.sie.com/en/blog/sony-interactive-entertainment-announces-new-engineering-and-finance-leadership/ No, Jim Ryan did not get kicked off. To summarize the interesting changes (also some financial related changes but I dont think people here will care): The following appointments will...

The guy has made some unsavory commets towards backwards compatibility and legacy content in the past and SIE has certainly been making strides towards bringing hie "vision" into reality.

While I'm not a fan of Jimbo I think people just chose him because of his previous statements but this isn't on him.
I mean : the PS4 design was not under his umbrella, the PS5 design was not under his umbrella, the PS Now is our answer to BC was not under his umbrella, the PS Store redesign ditching PS3/Vita content and making it available on their own stores was not under his umbrella...
It's pretty crazy to me that people are throwing at him a lot of past decisions and a path that was clear since Trettons era because of an outta of context statement.
I can understand why some people don't like the guy but it's weird too see so many guns pointing at him especially in subjects that were in development before he took reigns and that were obviously Sony's strategy even before Layden.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm not a fan of Jimbo I think people just chose him because of his previous statements but this isn't on him.
I mean : the PS4 design was not under his umbrella, the PS5 design was not under his umbrella, the PS Now is our answer to BC was not under his umbrella, the PS Store redesign ditching PS3/Vita content and making it available on their own stores was not under his umbrella...
It's pretty crazy to me that people are throwing at him a lot of past decisions and a path that was clear since Trettons era because of an outta of context statement.
I can understand why some people don't like the guy but it's weird too see so many guns pointing at him especially in subjects that were in development before he took reigns and that were obviously Sony's strategy even before Layden.
So is he just a puppet leader than? He's supposed to be "the guy in charge" so even if these things were not "under his umbrella" once he took over it's pretty clear that he took no action in stopping these sort of developments but why would he? His statements alone already tell us which side of the fence he falls on.

ddc226

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking about all of this, I am worried about my current PS3 Slim. Not only because of the CMOS issue, but also because of the motorized disc tray. Would it be a good idea to pick up a PS3 Super Slim to avoid the CMOS battery issue and motorized tray finally going kaput one day on my current PS3 slim?

Jan 20, 2019
So is he just a puppet leader than? He's supposed to be "the guy in charge" so even if these things were not "under his umbrella" once he took over it's pretty clear that he took no action in stopping these sort of developments but why would he? His statements alone already tell us which side of the fence he falls on.

There is nothing he can do to change it, so he is cuting the loses.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018

I appreciate that - but this may be an inherent problem with collecting in general and needs a much wider discussion than a few posts in this particular topic, It tends to be based on what you get out from gaming, habits and your personality etc.

There is certainly a curiosity that draws me into collecting, but as barriers are dropping all the time to owning games legitimately through retro collections or emulation projects. How many versions of Metal Slug as an example do I really need when its been released so many times on so many different platforms. We know X version of Metal Slug has better loading over Y version, after a while it goes beyond academic or personal curiosity and how often are you actually playing and enjoying these games.

Preservation is incredibly important, but I'm just throwing some caution out there, as I get older I have more limited time and sadly inversely more money to spend on my hobby. How much of my day do I dedicate to playing this particular console, genre, title etc hobby, I have cooking, work, a partner, maybe kids in a few years, and other hobbies such as exercise, playing an instrument, reading.

I had an OG Xbox loaded to the hilt with titles a few years ago, I would literally load up 10 or so titles in a play time, get bored and turn the thing off. The sad part was legitimately great games weren't getting the play they deserved, I was drowning in the illusion of choice that I could have it all.

Then there would be another console I'd start looking at up at on eBay. Thinking of all the titles I could play, then I'd realise I would never get round to it.

The sense of impending doom of the apparent shutdown of the PSN network is a big deal, and there are legitimate titles that are going to be lost, but why should I feel the need to spend £/$200 on a load of titles I 'think' I need when in reality its just scarcity creating this weird panic buying loop.

This sounds horrible, flippant, I don't intend it to - not only to the hours people put into making these games, but some of these titles, are they really going to be missed? I sometimes feel like the world is drowning in 'content', I feel curating content is just as important as owning it.

But the value of so many games is subjective. Just a hot take, and not necessarily the right one.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking about all of this, I am worried about my current PS3 Slim. Not only because of the CMOS issue, but also because of the motorized disc tray. Would it be a good idea to pick up a PS3 Super Slim to avoid the CMOS battery issue and motorized tray finally going kaput one day on my current PS3 slim?
The Super Slim has a CMOS battery too...

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does it invalidate the end user agreement? The licence you buy when you pay for the game doesn't say the owner can terminate access at their discretion does it? If the licence doesn't end then legally you can still access the software right?

Also if they release an update as you suggest, then any reformatted or new PS4, or an older system that wasn't fully updated when the servers went down, would still be locked out I think, unless there was a way to download the update from another site and update your PS4 via USB (I think you could do this with PS3, but I'm not sure if you can do this with PS4)
Don't really know the answer to these questions unfortunately, this is the first I have ever heard of the CMOS. As far as the update goes, you could be right unfortunately, but it's probably the best we could hope for from Sony at this point. I'm actually kinda half expecting there won't be an update like I'm suggesting/hoping, or a way to redownload stuff, and we'll just lose everything (on PS3) in a few years when all these batteries die out. Sony clearly just cares so little at this point that I really wouldn't put it past them at all.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so if you couldn't access it, then how were you putting the patches on a memory card?
Remove hard drive (this was a Core system I had at the time), boot console up with only a memory card inserted, go online and start the game up to download the patch to the memory card. After that point the hard drive could be connected as when you boot the game it'd see the patch on the memory card and not attempt to download it again.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

No ?
He is a leader that has been in the same route as at least the last two ones.
That's all.
Im not saying he isn't part of the process, he is. All I'm saying is that I find weird to see all the "since Jim Ryan took over" posts when actually the path he is now has been chosen a long time ago.
Whether he is right or wrong for not changing it it's another discussion.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Do the "Download" buttons not work on PSDLE anymore? I'm going through my PSOne Classic and the Download to: PS3 and VITA buttons don't do anything.

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a PS3 equivalent to that vita CFW guide for backing up games?

I purchased a fresh super slim PS3 for archival purposes right around the time manufacturing ended but I'm more and more beginning to accept that I'll have to rely on emulation or hope for some kind of hobbyist solution like a MiSTer equivalent for the PS3 in the far future.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
On the PS3 slim:
Remove screws from the bottom behind the square pads to remove the top cover (one screw is a TS8 under the ODD).
Two screws from the PSU, pull it out
One little screw on the ODD, flip it back, careful about the flat cable.
The CR2032 is on a socket right there.

Same thing if you need to replace the PSU or the ODD, or the fan, the PS3 slim is one of the easiest console to repair and clean up. If you want it to last more than a few years you need to take care of the dust.

If you're insecure about this, any electronic repair shop would charge you $20 to do this for you. They also know how to easily prevent the loss of the cmos.

Status
Not open for further replies.